Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216785 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2022, 05:17:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Long shot but…
Does anyone remember when airwalk NTS first dropped and their ad featured Jason Rogers (?) skating in one blue shoe and one yellow?
That actually happened right? Want to confirm my brain isn’t totally fried…
[close]

I tried to find it, but only came up with various other pics and ads, but they definitely were marketed as a swap or mix and match shoe, as per this ad in Thrasher 1993:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/imagesV2/Burnout/2013/Magazine_1993/April_1993/TH0493Apr1993p82-83_610w.jpg

And this pair for sale on some site:

champion! I actually think it was Dan Rogers! I’ll surf back through some thrasher back issues too. It was the first ad of them I ever saw… Not The Same

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2022, 07:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Long shot but…
Does anyone remember when airwalk NTS first dropped and their ad featured Jason Rogers (?) skating in one blue shoe and one yellow?
[close]

I tried to find it, but only came up with various other pics and ads, but they definitely were marketed as a swap or mix and match shoe, as per this ad in Thrasher 1993:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/imagesV2/Burnout/2013/Magazine_1993/April_1993/TH0493Apr1993p82-83_610w.jpg

[close]
champion! I actually think it was Dan Rogers! I’ll surf back through some thrasher back issues too. It was the first ad of them I ever saw… Not The Same
Airwalk is blowing it. The kids want wacky cupsole high tops.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Long shot but…
[close]

[close]
[close]
I scraped & saved to get a pair of the green AND a pair of the yellow, and then wore one of each, because I saw Jovontae Turner rocking them like that at EMB.
I felt so bad ass.
I looked like such a goof.
NGL, I will still 100% do that shit today if the opportunity to do so presents itself.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »
Would buy all Airwalk NTS in 2022 and beyond

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2022, 11:58:09 AM »
Would buy all Airwalk NTS in 2022 and beyond

Same. I would pay top dollar for a pair of those.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »
Same. NTS’s were the bizness.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2022, 03:49:35 PM »
Is half inch plywood thick enough for the sides and surface of a ramp? I got some free but most builds call for two layers of 1/4” on the surface and 3/4” for the sides

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2022, 06:24:18 PM »
Is half inch plywood thick enough for the sides and surface of a ramp? I got some free but most builds call for two layers of 1/4” on the surface and 3/4” for the sides

You want your sides stiff so double it up with 1/2". If it is only 3 ply's then you might be able to use it for the surface, it needs to be able to bend. I usually use 2 layers of 3/8" for the surface with a 1/4" top, you only use one layer if you have a sketlite like product

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2022, 07:01:18 PM »

Thicker is safer for sure.

It also depends on how big the ramp is and how much of a strain is going to be put on it.

For a skatepark that gets all day every day type wear, that thing has to be solid, but for a solo skate lightly in your own backyard type of ramp, I have never had any issues with the sides being about that on most of my ramps I had built over the years.

What I would recommend is also to brace the sides with 2 x 4 pieces as well - same as what I use as the ribs for the transition support, just so it holds up better.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2022, 07:10:27 PM »
Why is almost all skate hardware anodized black? I think plain silver bolts would look way better

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »
Why is almost all skate hardware anodized black? I think plain silver bolts would look way better

Most are not anodized black they are black oxide, the cheapest way to prevent corrosion on cheap screws. A silver screw that doesn't rust too fast is more expensive. I usually spend $3 on bolts

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2022, 06:17:55 PM »
What's your go to for decks with a short WB, long and steep kicks? Getting way more pop than I can handle and I'm ghost popping all day.

Smaller wheels?
Lower trucks?
Trucks that extend / bring in WB?
When I was struggling with a steep kick on a Creature, I did some casual research and it seemed like most pros I could find footage of riding them were on Indy or Ace. Aside from the NHS bias that would influence the number of Creature/SC riders on Indy, I wonder if steeper kick or longer WB riders skew toward short WB trucks and vice versa.
The steep/short thing is tough though. I had a short WB, steep (and long) kicks Clutch deck that I still preferred on Thunders or Venture over Ace probably just cause they pushed the WB out to a comfortable spot for me. I think I just acclimated to the pop timing.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2022, 07:24:06 PM »
steep kicks, short wb + ventures is my jam
poppy pop pop
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2022, 07:36:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Long shot but…
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
I scraped & saved to get a pair of the green AND a pair of the yellow, and then wore one of each, because I saw Jovontae Turner rocking them like that at EMB.
I felt so bad ass.
I looked like such a goof.
NGL, I will still 100% do that shit today if the opportunity to do so presents itself.

Man, those took forever to break in. Also they lasted forever and finally destroyed them by hand so my mom would buy me a new pair of shoes. 

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »
poppy pop pop
Interested in the short-wheelbase-steep-kicks rec's!
That being said, does anybody have rec's for a steep kick, short wheelbase deck that still has a mellower concave? Is that Creature? I currently have medium, steep, and steep and it feels great for some but definitely not all.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2022, 08:25:18 PM »
Expand Quote
poppy pop pop
[close]
Interested in the short-wheelbase-steep-kicks rec's!
That being said, does anybody have rec's for a steep kick, short wheelbase deck that still has a mellower concave? Is that Creature? I currently have medium, steep, and steep and it feels great for some but definitely not all.
the santa cruz boat 8.8 i had was flat in the middle
14.25 wheelbase
wasnt in love with the shape but id recommend it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2022, 12:58:39 AM »
Squeaky trucks question:

What oil can be used or which should be used best case?

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2022, 01:02:51 AM »
Squeaky trucks question:

Try shaving a little bit of wax into the pivot cups.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2022, 01:11:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Squeaky trucks question:

[close]

Wax crumbs don’t last long. Drop of lube per session keeps it quiet. Tri Flow goes in the bearings, bike chains, and pivot cups

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2022, 01:19:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Squeaky trucks question:

[close]

[close]
Wax crumbs don’t last long. Drop of lube per session keeps it quiet. Tri Flow goes in the bearings, bike chains, and pivot cups

You can try Sewing machine oil. Got a couple tubes at a craft/fabric store for like $2 years ago. You can even go full Martin Goodman and do all the hinges in your house. Enjoy the silence.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2022, 01:31:38 AM »
Thx guys.

You do this almost before every session, really?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2022, 02:05:03 AM »
Squeaky trucks question:

I used to drop a spot of lube in the pivot cup every so often, as my trucks are very much a set them up and never touch them again type of deal, much like others here.

After changing over a few boards a while back, waxing the pivot nub was way easier, less messy and kept the whole thing silent indefinitely.  I forget who recommended it, but it is a lot better than dropping wax shavings into the pivot cup.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

manysnakes

« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2022, 07:55:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most are not anodized black they are black oxide, the cheapest way to prevent corrosion on cheap screws. A silver screw that doesn't rust too fast is more expensive. I usually spend $3 on bolts

A friend of mine bought anodized Torx-headed “skate” bolts from McMaster-Carr. Like $20 worth of hardware.

manysnakes

« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2022, 07:57:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Squeaky trucks question:

[close]

[close]

[close]
You can try Sewing machine oil. Got a couple tubes at a craft/fabric store for like $2 years ago. You can even go full Martin Goodman and do all the hinges in your house. Enjoy the silence.

Lubricant for many industrial bearings is just seeing machine oil. Many “bearing” lubricants are just this.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2022, 06:33:26 AM »
Has anyone seen the Nike SB Shane O’Neill’s in the wild? I’m convinced these shoes do not actually exist

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2022, 06:37:20 AM »
Has anyone seen the Nike SB Shane O’Neill’s in the wild? I’m convinced these shoes do not actually exist

Yes.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »

Yes, Janoski-esq finance bros wear them on campus with track pants and North Face puffers

Never seen a skater wear them

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2022, 01:00:06 PM »

Almost everyone in my area skates them but that is because they are always on sale at the local shop and at the nike clearance/outlet stores here...