Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216539 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #870 on: May 03, 2022, 05:39:46 AM »
Do you guys wear the same size in slip-ons or do you size down for those? I wear 11 in most shoes but my heel slides like crazy in slips.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #871 on: May 03, 2022, 05:47:48 AM »
Do you guys wear the same size in slip-ons or do you size down for those? I wear 11 in most shoes but my heel slides like crazy in slips.

Only had the dc jaakko slip ons and the fit was great, same size as always.
If that counts, the emerica romero laced, which can be used without laces, also fits right.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #872 on: May 03, 2022, 06:26:59 AM »
The Vans skate slip ons fit really tight now some people go a half size up.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #873 on: May 03, 2022, 06:39:30 AM »

I'd say it depends on the model, usually tts but I bought some Vans X Public snowboards skate slip ons on sale for dirt cheap ($40) and they are crazy tight. Length and width is as usual for vans slip ons, but super tight on the top of my feet. Seems like the new skate version are much tighter.

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #874 on: May 03, 2022, 07:06:09 PM »
Thanks, sounds like the newer vans skate slips should do the trick 👍

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #875 on: May 04, 2022, 06:09:24 AM »
Why I need to put my front foot so far back for some flips, like 360 flips, varial heels,  steep frontside flips or hardflips for example?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #876 on: May 04, 2022, 06:28:23 AM »
Why I need to put my front foot so far back for some flips, like 360 flips, varial heels,  steep frontside flips or hardflips for example?

Laws of physics probably

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2022, 06:43:08 AM »

On tricks you know how to do front foot placement is determined by back foot placement and vice versa, so depending on how much you use your back foot on tricks (the various ways you get used to popping to optimize board movement) you will set up your front foot according to where it will optimally respond to the motion. Good analogy is to think of a flip trick like a formula, let's say a 360 flip = 100, could be 80% back foot and 20% front foot action or 70-30, 90-10, 60-40 or really whatever works to successfully attain the desired result (missing it would result in either too much or not enough board rotation). It will look completely different everytime and rely on slightly different technique but my point is it's a matter of balance whatever works or looks the way it does.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »
Why are my kickflips better off the nose? They rocket when popped off the tail.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2022, 07:33:20 AM »
Maybe better for you to skate a simple shaped board. Or skate the G027 it has a bigger tail than nose.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2022, 07:56:08 AM »
Maybe it's not getting as much pop before your flick levels it out. or it's actually for a second more rocket making your flick more effective in leveling it out.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2022, 07:56:51 AM »
My bushings have been bleeding black shit. I've never had this happen before, has anyone else? I didn't put any grease or wax into the trucks. Weird, no?

The fuck?? I’ve only seen that from wax/lube squeezing out. Is the bushing somehow interacting with the titanium bolt to melt it? Maybe not chemical but like friction or something?
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2022, 08:00:07 AM »
My bushings have been bleeding black shit. I've never had this happen before, has anyone else? I didn't put any grease or wax into the trucks. Weird, no?

You're going to need a young priest and an old priest....

Richard Skidder

« Reply #883 on: May 04, 2022, 09:00:37 AM »

Maybe rolled through a puddle at some point?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #884 on: May 04, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On tricks you know how to do front foot placement is determined by back foot placement and vice versa, so depending on how much you use your back foot on tricks (the various ways you get used to popping to optimize board movement) you will set up your front foot according to where it will optimally respond to the motion. Good analogy is to think of a flip trick like a formula, let's say a 360 flip = 100, could be 80% back foot and 20% front foot action or 70-30, 90-10, 60-40 or really whatever works to successfully attain the desired result (missing it would result in either too much or not enough board rotation). It will look completely different everytime and rely on slightly different technique but my point is it's a matter of balance whatever works or looks the way it does.

Thanks. My problem with this is that keeping balance is way harder when your feet are closest together.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #885 on: May 04, 2022, 09:40:18 AM »
Maybe rolled through a puddle at some point?

Yeah, that's the thing, It was after getting it off my bike (I ride into town to skate) and I had a bag over my board (and it wasn't there when strapped my board to my rack). I wiped the soot off. Then more started leaking out when I started skating.

The fuck?? I’ve only seen that from wax/lube squeezing out. Is the bushing somehow interacting with the titanium bolt to melt it? Maybe not chemical but like friction or something?

They do squeak really loud, maybe the Krus bushings are melting somehow.

Lmao!!! Oh no. Imma take it apart the next rainy day and I'll post my findings.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #886 on: May 04, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »

Might could be some byproduct of the mfg. process?
Maybe the Ermico foundry applied a lickle bit of grease to ease the kingpin in during the pressing process (though I’ve never heard of this previously)?
Either that, or your bushings have contracted a bad case of Ebola.
Please fill us in w/ your discover, once you take ‘em apart.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #887 on: May 04, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks. My problem with this is that keeping balance is way harder when your feet are closest together.

I have that on some tricks too, or at least used to back when I was learning them and then some I cleaned up a bit in terms of form (and some others probably still look like I just learned them). Do you have short legs by chance? That's my case and I usually see shorter skaters (or little kids) do that, but it's just a way to make do with the specificities of our body to still achieve the desired form on certain tricks. Anyway since like I was saying it's all about compensating forces, you can probably clean up your tricks by consciously experimenting with different foot placement and technique, but to be fair I think usually that naturally happens by just skating a lot, repeating the same motions all the time we actually refine efficiency baby step by baby step throughout time anyway through the continuous trial and error process. Basically if it's actually annoying then you'll end up working it out.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #888 on: May 04, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Reminds me of the black stuff on the building walls in Archive 81. Kaelego has somehow found a way into our world through your trucks.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2022, 10:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have that on some tricks too, or at least used to back when I was learning them and then some I cleaned up a bit in terms of form (and some others probably still look like I just learned them). Do you have short legs by chance? That's my case and I usually see shorter skaters (or little kids) do that, but it's just a way to make do with the specificities of our body to still achieve the desired form on certain tricks. Anyway since like I was saying it's all about compensating forces, you can probably clean up your tricks by consciously experimenting with different foot placement and technique, but to be fair I think usually that naturally happens by just skating a lot, repeating the same motions all the time we actually refine efficiency baby step by baby step throughout time anyway through the continuous trial and error process. Basically if it's actually annoying then you'll end up working it out.

No short legs, but maybe I do this because I Learned those tricks with 14 back in the days. I don’t know. But with my feet further apart I can’t do those tricks

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »

What kind of bonding agent did you use to mount that aftermarket kingpin into the baseplate? Perhaps that's degrading

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2022, 01:56:15 PM »

What’s even going on here? White bushings with a 3 mm piece of black gunk on top? Where’s the washer? Why can I not see the kingpin? Either way something very uncommon is going on and unless we get a better explanation and solution imma back the guy calling for the exorcist!

manysnakes

« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »

Haunted

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #893 on: May 04, 2022, 04:11:42 PM »
I've got a question about a core shop that wants to sell Nike.

Let's say the shop's been around for a few decades, so it's established. I think that's one of the criteria that Nike uses to allow shoes to be sold in a shop.

What are the steps for the shop to sell Nikes, and what are any potential pitfalls or minuses of selling Nikes in a shop? Do they still require you to take on ALL the inventory that they want you to sell? I remember that being a thing years ago. If so, is that manageable, or is it too much for shops to deal with?

Wondering about this, any info is much appreciated!

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #894 on: May 04, 2022, 04:34:33 PM »
what are any potential pitfalls or minuses of selling Nikes in a shop?

I can answer this part. This is based off my experience working at my local which sells Nike SB.

Ironically, biggest downside is going to be Dunks. You will receive nonstop calls about Dunks, especially when there's a release date coming up. You will also get accused nonstop of backdooring Dunks from people who get salty from not getting a pair and you can't do anything about it. Even if you have a Nike account, it'll take time to get Dunks because you can only get those if you have a good relationship with Nike (such as ordering shoes regularly, paying invoices on time, etc) and can only get the Orange Label line if you're best friends with Nike.

Once in a while, it can get really sketchy when it comes to Dunk releases. The last time my shop got dunks, a few sneakerheads that didn't get a pair just hung around outside for much longer than usual.  One guy just sat in his car for almost an hour just watching the shop while talking to someone on the phone. We just assumed that him and the others were trying to see if we were going to backdoor some pairs.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #895 on: May 04, 2022, 06:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote
what are any potential pitfalls or minuses of selling Nikes in a shop?
[close]

I can answer this part. This is based off my experience working at my local which sells Nike SB.

Ironically, biggest downside is going to be Dunks. You will receive nonstop calls about Dunks, especially when there's a release date coming up. You will also get accused nonstop of backdooring Dunks from people who get salty from not getting a pair and you can't do anything about it. Even if you have a Nike account, it'll take time to get Dunks because you can only get those if you have a good relationship with Nike (such as ordering shoes regularly, paying invoices on time, etc) and can only get the Orange Label line if you're best friends with Nike.

Once in a while, it can get really sketchy when it comes to Dunk releases. The last time my shop got dunks, a few sneakerheads that didn't get a pair just hung around outside for much longer than usual.  One guy just sat in his car for almost an hour just watching the shop while talking to someone on the phone. We just assumed that him and the others were trying to see if we were going to backdoor some pairs.

That’s really intriguing, gnarred. Especially about the relationship giving way to more exclusive releases.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #896 on: May 04, 2022, 09:09:03 PM »
Yo7 owe it to yourself to fuck with those type of people….if you have any friends with kids, have, them bring them in and leave with some boxes, but with no child…..

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #897 on: May 04, 2022, 09:26:10 PM »
Yo7 owe it to yourself to fuck with those type of people….if you have any friends with kids, have, them bring them in and leave with some boxes, but with no child…..

Have them walk out with Nike SB boxes filled with Cariumas
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #898 on: May 05, 2022, 01:34:00 AM »
I've got a question about a core shop that wants to sell Nike.

Let's say the shop's been around for a few decades, so it's established. I think that's one of the criteria that Nike uses to allow shoes to be sold in a shop.

What are the steps for the shop to sell Nikes, and what are any potential pitfalls or minuses of selling Nikes in a shop? Do they still require you to take on ALL the inventory that they want you to sell? I remember that being a thing years ago. If so, is that manageable, or is it too much for shops to deal with?

Wondering about this, any info is much appreciated!

I would say it's pointless to wonder
They are closing accounts left and right, they keep a few shops in order to brag about caring about shops and go the direct to customer route.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:44:02 AM by BALARGUE »

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2022, 02:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."