Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216648 times)

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 10, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »
Anyone ever have their board go soggy after flying? I checked my board for about a 5 hour flight and when I got there it was total mush the next day…
Not that it matters but it is a Busenitz. Was nice and snappy before.

The cold, pressure, and moisture could've effected it. Planes have 2 luggage holds, one that is temperature managed (where they put pets and stuff) and one that isnt where they put normal luggage.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #1201 on: June 10, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ever have their board go soggy after flying? I checked my board for about a 5 hour flight and when I got there it was total mush the next day…
[close]

The cold, pressure, and moisture could've effected it. Planes have 2 luggage holds, one that is temperature managed (where they put pets and stuff) and one that isnt where they put normal luggage.

It was Southwest so anything could have happened I guess.  I’ve just never had a board be so drastically  different in such a short time.

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1202 on: June 10, 2022, 12:33:36 PM »
Anyone ever been the skate warehouse store in SLO? Is it worth checking out? I’m staying about 15 min away so just wanted to see others opinions. Thanks!

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1203 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know about brands/shapes which concaves are "big wheel friendly"?

Most of the decks concaves I've ridden/seen flatten out over the wheels, whereas e.g Powell decks still have the full concave over the wheels. I get significantly less wheelbite or can ride bigger wheels with Powell decks.
[close]

My first question is what is on your setup in terms of trucks, wheels, risers (guessing minimal to none) and how loose you ride your trucks too - sizes of those parts?

Next is what size / width board would you usually ride?

Wider boards with mellow concave are going to have a lot more issues, especially almost flat type boards, as would very narrow boards, but it also depends on whether the wheelbase is longer or shorter on certain molds, eg a shorter mold and longer wheelbase and the wheelbite marks are almost at the ends of the main body (but more into the flatter area where the kicks start) but shorter wheelbase with more fingers of flat often means that the wheelbite if any will be right into the full concave area, so way less likely to touch.

Wheel wells will definitely offset any issues by up to a quarter inch, as per testing and cutting wheel wells into various boards I have, as per post below.

Going back to the setup though, looser / lower trucks are always going to have more issues with wheelbite no matter what deck you have.  Some people will use risers to get away from this, but others flatly refuse - their personal choice - so as much as I would say chronic wheelbite issues can be offset by even minimal risers, that is up to you.

This was unrelated but just something I did the other day, which can definitely help in this situation.  Cutting wheel wells into any deck is not that hard, but it is best to practice on an older board first, before just going hard at it on a new board and making a mess of it.  This is by no means a "professional job" and just something I was having a bit of fun with.

Didn't think about that, good to know.Thanks!

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1204 on: June 10, 2022, 02:16:53 PM »
I know there has to be a post about it somewhere, but what are the benefits of sleeved washers and how do these benefits vary between top and bottom bushing?

lazer69

• Rep: -96
« Reply #1205 on: June 10, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
My trucks keep getting pinched or locked into one side. I don't mean in grinds either.. I got new medium bushings in my thunders as well.  They felt broken in instantly. I think the same was happening with my ventures, but it's worse on thunders.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1206 on: June 10, 2022, 10:41:25 PM »

Is that a blue meanie? Looks awesome with the wheel wells.

Sure is.

It is the one I had set up on 159s and just didn't like it.  Left it for a while, then set it up on NOS 149s and 60mm cruiser wheels and it is way more fun.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It was Southwest so anything could have happened I guess.  I’ve just never had a board be so drastically  different in such a short time.

I used to fly for work all the time, so had a specific board I would always take as others had warned me against it.  The board ended up about twice as heavy as the same other one - the deck in particular (everything else was fine) and it even felt like it was a lot thicker when I finally stopped taking that board with me on my work flights.

Could be more in my mind than anything else, but it definitely had a whole lot going on compared to every other board I had of that exact same one, even being wrapped up in plastic inside a big bag and often in a luggage transport bag as well.

When I stopped flying, I put that in a box and forgot about it, but after a while when I got it out again, it felt a whole lot more normal again, so who knows really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1207 on: June 11, 2022, 01:33:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Is that a blue meanie? Looks awesome with the wheel wells.
[close]

Sure is.

It is the one I had set up on 159s and just didn't like it.  Left it for a while, then set it up on NOS 149s and 60mm cruiser wheels and it is way more fun.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I used to fly for work all the time, so had a specific board I would always take as others had warned me against it.  The board ended up about twice as heavy as the same other one - the deck in particular (everything else was fine) and it even felt like it was a lot thicker when I finally stopped taking that board with me on my work flights.

Could be more in my mind than anything else, but it definitely had a whole lot going on compared to every other board I had of that exact same one, even being wrapped up in plastic inside a big bag and often in a luggage transport bag as well.

When I stopped flying, I put that in a box and forgot about it, but after a while when I got it out again, it felt a whole lot more normal again, so who knows really.

I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1208 on: June 11, 2022, 02:29:39 PM »
pretty niche question but here goes...do the Adidas Puigs fit/skate similarly to the Copa Nationales? I love skating the Copas after they've broken in, and I enjoy the look of the Puigs. very curious.

Puigs have a little more wiggle room up front and a better heel lock-in. The Copa and the Tyshawn seem to have tighter toe boxes than most of the other recent models, and the Copa heel is pretty low. I had a bit of slip when I started wearing those. Still love them, though.

I should also mention that the Copas I had were the leather ones with the suede toe cap and serrated stripes (the ones that look like the Copa soccer cleat).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1209 on: June 11, 2022, 09:19:16 PM »
Anyone ridden both the Baker 8.38 and DLX that is same specs and have any clue as to how different they are? I thought they were the same and recently got an Anti Hero 8.38 and it feels atrocious. It's a II on the press and think I've mostly ridden III but that seems quite trivial.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1210 on: June 11, 2022, 10:50:05 PM »
Anyone ridden both the Baker 8.38 and DLX that is same specs and have any clue as to how different they are? I thought they were the same and recently got an Anti Hero 8.38 and it feels atrocious. It's a II on the press and think I've mostly ridden III but that seems quite trivial.

Haven’t.
But I’ve had better luck with bakers than dlx, and I attribute it to the mellowed shape, slightly pointy, and up until the last two or so years, bakers were shorter.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1211 on: June 12, 2022, 02:50:01 AM »

After realising they were the same exact shape, I have since had lots of both DLX versions and all the rest, be it Baker or Birdhouse and at least four other BBS companies that used that same 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb shape, even though some were listed as longer and some shorter from their respective company spec sheets / info.

To look at them individually, some looked way more pointy and others looked way more round, mainly due to the graphic I think, but also partly due to the concave, but to sit them on top of each other then swap them over, they really were the same in every way from comparing top / bottom views.

BBS with their four per stack really means you do get a mix of them - half a dozen Baker 8.38 here all in a stack and some are way steeper than others, same as the other boards, even DLX sorted from I through to IV some are more mellow and some are steeper between the same numbers.

I am not proud to say but when I had the chance to get a really good deal on Element decks a few years ago now, I have had 14 of exactly the same board at one point and I arranged them from most mellow (which I preferred) to steepest so they fit well with the mellow on the bottom, but to put one of the steepest on the bottom it was such a big difference.

At one point I used to park the car on some steeper boards to flatten them out, as I just couldn't deal with the steep concave, but more recently (as I have too many) I have been just picking out the more mellow ones and riding them as is more than any others, but I find the mellow ones are easier for street stuff and the steeper ones better for mini ramp stuff.

If you got a steeper board, I can definitely understand how it might feel very awkward for you if you had a more mellow board or two before that one.

Edit:

To add it was interesting to see the Birdhouse deck from the Sale thread link from 2018 has a sticker on top that says "DREAMER 8.38" or something similar.

Same as DLX uses "Dreamer shape" for their boards, maybe from Kyle Walker, but then for all the 8.38 normal decks, whereas I once thought the Dreamer was the really mellow (almost flat) concave that he specifically rides.

https://westernskateco.com/products/birdhouse-ben-raybourn-dreamer-green-8-38-skateboard-deck

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:26:55 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1212 on: June 12, 2022, 09:17:24 AM »
Ok so I'm not fucking insane- this anti hero has a 6.875 tail vs 6.625 and 7.25 nose vs 7.0625 on the Baker. I measured with the concave for both as this takes into account the steepness, but even measuring straight across they're different. The Baker ends up at 32 on the dot vs the Anti Hero at 32.25 (straight across).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: June 12, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »
Ok so I'm not fucking insane- this anti hero has a 6.875 tail vs 6.625 and 7.25 nose vs 7.0625 on the Baker. I measured with the concave for both as this takes into account the steepness, but even measuring straight across they're different. The Baker ends up at 32 on the dot vs the Anti Hero at 32.25 (straight across).

I prefer, by quite a bit, boards 32 or less. Out of length, width, wb…length (once thought to be the least relevant) is the least fungible.
Dlx shapes have been too long, full, and steep for me…unless in skating an 8ish bird and then whatever works.
I’ve loved baker boards in the past, like few others. I swear the wood/molds are slightly different, but knowledgeable persons that I believe have the correct info assure me I am incorrect. I had some conspiracy theories about generator, bbs, generator-bbs…but yeah. Gibberish On my part. I’ve tried to not go down the tail length rabbit hole, but it’s difficult for me to ignore that tail lengths greater than 6.6 are pretty much out for me. 6.5 is better. Nose doesn’t need to be over 7, prefer less. This may be why I’ve started to like longer wb’s, but total lengths up to 32: shorter lengths for nose and tail. All I know is I don’t know shit.
But I’d rather ride a baker than a dlx

caked

• Rep: -24
« Reply #1214 on: June 12, 2022, 11:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
pretty niche question but here goes...do the Adidas Puigs fit/skate similarly to the Copa Nationales? I love skating the Copas after they've broken in, and I enjoy the look of the Puigs. very curious.
[close]

Puigs have a little more wiggle room up front and a better heel lock-in. The Copa and the Tyshawn seem to have tighter toe boxes than most of the other recent models, and the Copa heel is pretty low. I had a bit of slip when I started wearing those. Still love them, though.

I should also mention that the Copas I had were the leather ones with the suede toe cap and serrated stripes (the ones that look like the Copa soccer cleat).

this is super helpful, thank you! also the answer I wanted to hear, I have kind of wider feet so the Copas were tight at first but great once broken in. good to know! now to cop some shoes that I definitely don't need right now haha.

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #1215 on: June 12, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
any way to get indys to turn like the af1s?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1216 on: June 12, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »

Sorry, doubt it, the geometry is quite different.  :(

I have a dumb question about socks. I've never had a nice thick pair of Stance socks until now, whenever I wear them my feet hurt less. I usually wear thin cheap department store socks. Placebo? Or are nice thick socks actually comfier on your feets?
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1217 on: June 12, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »
Absolutely are. I thought the same when I rode and raced bikes until I got on a team that had a sock sponsor. No sore spots, my feet felt better in the arches, and my shoes felt more like gloves. Also Stance socks seem to last me the longest and don't fall down which is a huge pet peeve so I keep a close eye on Stance sales.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1218 on: June 12, 2022, 01:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a dumb question about socks. I've never had a nice thick pair of Stance socks until now, whenever I wear them my feet hurt less. I usually wear thin cheap department store socks. Placebo? Or are nice thick socks actually comfier on your feets?

I also prefer thicker socks for skating. I think it's just more stuff between the feet and the shoes, so your feet feel a bit more protected? Anyway, I can't do thin socks.
IG: @flowterspace

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1219 on: June 12, 2022, 01:36:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I often wear wool hiking socks to skate. Less sog, less stank, and less slip.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1220 on: June 12, 2022, 01:42:39 PM »
Thank you all for your very helpful responses, guess that means I'm going sock shopping when I'm at the local tomorrow.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: June 12, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
Soooo…the finger sock things. Look gross, initially feel disgusting. Like glasses for your feet.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1222 on: June 12, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »
I wear suit socks, those knee high but fine socks that look a bit like stockings.  :-[
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1223 on: June 12, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »
It’s possibly the compression factor that makes your feet and legs less sore

Side note: Once you go all in on wool hiking socks you’ll never go back to cotton or synthetic blends. I’ve got them in varying thicknesses. The thin ones for super hot days. Regular thickness for average days. They’re relatively expensive for socks, but not much more than a pair of Stance socks. My brand of choice is Darn Tough

Other side note: if you live in a cold climate get a smart wool base layer and a “cheap” REI down jacket. You’ll have an easier time staying warm without a bunch of bulky layers hindering your skating. Pair that with some wool socks and you’ll be having a better time than your friends struggling with cotton socks and regular long johns
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1224 on: June 12, 2022, 04:31:41 PM »
No..it’s not placebo at all, you line up one of those basketball socks…there’s no contest.  That said I can’t skate them…I can’t feel my board, but no doubt there is lots of cushioning and it makes a difference….like cup vs.  vulc.

On Indy’s to ace?  Flat washer, conical bushings…..different geo but it’ll be getting as much turn as possible out of them…

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1225 on: June 12, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »
Soooo…the finger sock things. Look gross, initially feel disgusting. Like glasses for your feet.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: June 12, 2022, 06:33:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The socks that have separate toe accommodations, for me, enhanced my perception of foot to board connectivity. I’ve had some really good days skating in them. That being said, can’t do it on the regular, mainly because they look weird.

I skate in smart wool socks, most often, but would just like to piggyback what Tom said.

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1227 on: June 13, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this is super helpful, thank you! also the answer I wanted to hear, I have kind of wider feet so the Copas were tight at first but great once broken in. good to know! now to cop some shoes that I definitely don't need right now haha.

How long do they take to break in?  I've got a pair of the white leather ones and they hurt my feet to skate and are pretty broken in.  I ordered a pair of suede ones thinking maybe they would stretch a bit easier, but they also kinda hurt.  I've tried the 3ST004s and Tyshawns and those both hurt as well.  Busenitz are the only ones that feel like butter from beginning to end, but I'm looking for a shoe that lasts longer in the ollie area and maybe has a sole stiffer than cheese. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1228 on: June 13, 2022, 02:50:25 PM »
What’s the best dunk substitute? Just started skating some, for the first time in forever, great for skating (weird for wearing, doesn’t fit my old guy ‘vibes’). Obviously I’m not going to get anymore, anytime soon, and AJ1s are also super hard to find…so fastbreaks? Tiagos? Ishod’s? What’s my slim thick cupsole?
(I know this question has been asked a bazillion times, and I just end up forgetting the answers, and kinda zoning out on the convo’s cuz I forgot how comfy/decent the flick is).

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1229 on: June 13, 2022, 05:27:54 PM »
Has anyone tried the Neen Footprint shoe? I see that they are on sale and Im tempted to try them out.