Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216792 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1890 on: October 23, 2022, 05:09:21 PM »
When did Ishod start skating twins or Real start producing them?

Ishod turned pro for Real in 2012 so quite possibly somewhere around that time.

For a while they weren't marketed as twin tails, more just Ishod shape 8.3 x 31.87 which makes it harder to find.

The Australian tour a few years after that with Real and Krooked had Ishod giving a board to Bobby Worrest, who liked it and was riding that twin board from then, but I can't find anywhere that has good information on the Real catalogs from back around that period.

Here's a 2015 catalog that is still up with a good number of pics that actually load, with a few of his boards in there.

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-15-catalog/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1891 on: October 23, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For a while they weren't marketed as twin tails, more just Ishod shape 8.3 x 31.87 which makes it harder to find.

The Australian tour a few years after that with Real and Krooked had Ishod giving a board to Bobby Worrest, who liked it and was riding that twin board from then, but I can't find anywhere that has good information on the Real catalogs from back around that period.

Here's a 2015 catalog that is still up with a good number of pics that actually load, with a few of his boards in there.

Good God that catalog was huge!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1892 on: October 23, 2022, 05:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good God that catalog was huge!

Most of them weren't great but what did you expect when each pro had 3-5 graphics per season.

I loved these embossed ones, they felt like they slid better and looked so good with slide marks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1893 on: October 23, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn I thought these decks are a more recent thing. Only found out about it from a 2019 ben degros video I think and really wish I'd have known about them earlier. Changed everything

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1894 on: October 23, 2022, 07:20:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn I thought these decks are a more recent thing. Only found out about it from a 2019 ben degros video I think and really wish I'd have known about them earlier. Changed everything

It is a funny thing with some brands, but I do recall riding some Alien Workshop and Real boards back in the mid 90s that felt like the best boards I could find at the time.  No idea what width or any other dimensions with those ones, but guessing around 8 with nice big round kicks.  Then when I had a stand on some others in the late 90s they just didn't do it for me as they were way too flat, but it wasn't until about 2003 that tails started to get too small on Black Label boards I was riding between 8 and 8.1 in width, so I got an AH 8.18 board and it was exactly what I needed.

For me that was it, as they were readily available and held up well, especially the size and shape that just worked, so the 8.18 and 8.12 sizes I skated for a long time.  More recently I have been on the 8.38 although I have mix and matched quite a bit over the years since working out exactly what I wanted in size and shape, as well as doing a few things to modify boards in recent years (parking on them to mellow out the tail) and finding more boards across the brand range from BBS in the same sizes and shapes I was used to skating now.

I would never tell people what they should or shouldn't ride in terms of brands, sizes, or anything else, but so many people who skated my board always said it felt good, well balanced, skated nicely, etc so I guess I have helped fuel the DLX hype over the years with that too.

Happy to share the stoke with some of those catalogs!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1895 on: October 23, 2022, 07:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What a trip! Real graphics used to be even worse than they are currently. Those are 95% atrocious. Thanks for sharing. Would be rad to see more old catalogues.

nonickname

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1896 on: October 23, 2022, 07:41:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What a trip! Real graphics used to be even worse than they are currently. Those are 95% atrocious. Thanks for sharing. Would be rad to see more old catalogues.

Damn...I had that Brock deck with the roses...was not a fan of it after setting it up - it eventually became a hand me down to my son.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #1897 on: October 24, 2022, 07:45:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn...I had that Brock deck with the roses...was not a fan of it after setting it up - it eventually became a hand me down to my son.

That c2015 Real catalog is so fucking fascinating, It really highlights that era of skating
Foil prints, fabric prints, glow in the dark, embossed and Slick bottom decks. just gimmicks galore
Still not fully out of the transition to the 8.25 standard so lots of 7.75 and 7.8's
"wrecking crew" branding on shape decks to counter the growning Welcome threat,

those graphics were bad. I actually had that space cadet board, because i didn't realize at time of purchase the spaceship was on a blunt. I also didn't know it glowed.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1898 on: October 24, 2022, 07:53:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure had that space cadet board too, covered the graphic with a giant spitfire sticker

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #1899 on: October 24, 2022, 08:38:28 AM »
Crazy to see the artstyle change compared to now: from loud, edgy graphics to more minimal, clean graphics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1900 on: October 24, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »
Had a bunch of those wrecking crew boards some were alright others not so much. It was a bit hit or miss with bigger shaped boards at that time don't know how much real testing was done and how much was just this looks pretty good (altho as others have said graphics never looked that good)

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1901 on: October 24, 2022, 11:00:45 AM »
Since tyshawn left FA, what decks he skating?? Been watching hin skating a deck with basic crown with diferent colors on the background

He skating supreme decks? Maybe hes own hardware company release decks? Maybe FA painted diferent?

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1902 on: October 24, 2022, 11:15:33 AM »
He skates for Brick Underneath Skateboards and A Dream Deferred Wheels

manysnakes

« Reply #1903 on: October 24, 2022, 11:35:13 AM »
Since tyshawn left FA, what decks he skating?? Been watching hin skating a deck with basic crown with diferent colors on the background

He skating supreme decks? Maybe hes own hardware company release decks? Maybe FA painted diferent?

He seems to have something new brewing, I think oriented around black skaters and with a sort of “black power” theme, at least initially. I say this based around the two graphics I’ve seen, one of which is a classic black power fist and the other was a NOI-themed “Three Percenter” graphic. Should be an interesting aesthetic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 12:03:01 PM by manysnakes »

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1904 on: October 24, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »

Same FA shape, different graphic

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1905 on: October 25, 2022, 07:11:40 AM »
Isn’t that just a big hardies sticker?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1906 on: October 25, 2022, 07:37:03 AM »
Isn’t that just a big hardies sticker?
Yes. I really hope he doesn’t name his board company King. Yes you’re really really good but don’t call yourself a King that’s just kooky.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1907 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He seems to have something new brewing, I think oriented around black skaters and with a sort of “black power” theme, at least initially. I say this based around the two graphics I’ve seen, one of which is a classic black power fist and the other was a NOI-themed “Three Percenter” graphic. Should be an interesting aesthetic.
He also may be hooking up Zac Saraceno from Illegal Civ who is the epitome of a rich white kid. Dude had a bmw before he was properly hooked up. Talks about it in his nine club.

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1908 on: October 25, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
havent skated in 10 years and im having fun relearning everything the past couple of weeks. i wanted to get a new deck (an 8.5) and noticed that my indys are only 8.0. is it that big of a deal? i used to do it all the time when i was young but i wanted some more thoughts on it.

manysnakes

« Reply #1909 on: October 25, 2022, 12:10:45 PM »
havent skated in 10 years and im having fun relearning everything the past couple of weeks. i wanted to get a new deck (an 8.5) and noticed that my indys are only 8.0. is it that big of a deal? i used to do it all the time when i was young but i wanted some more thoughts on it.

Not really a huge deal, plenty of people make it work. It's certainly not wrong or anything. If you want to use this as an excuse to get some new trucks though, I can think or worse reasons.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #1910 on: October 25, 2022, 12:17:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not really a huge deal, plenty of people make it work. It's certainly not wrong or anything. If you want to use this as an excuse to get some new trucks though, I can think or worse reasons.
Yeah I used to run an 8.5 board with 8.0 Indys for years and it worked fine!

sadnocomply

• Rep: 152
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1911 on: October 25, 2022, 12:25:18 PM »
https://www.paradeworld.com/c/clothing/

Y’all what the hell happened to paradeworld?!?! Since the turn of the year it’s nothing but designer bullshit. I used to come to this site for skate brand clothing exclusively and now I see $1,200 pants and $600 off white jean jackets left and right. What kind of shit is this?

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1912 on: October 25, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah I used to run an 8.5 board with 8.0 Indys for years and it worked fine!

thanks guys. ill probably just make it work for now and maybe get some new indys later on. i dont remember it ever bothering me back in the day and i used to have krux super lows.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1913 on: October 25, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
https://www.paradeworld.com/c/clothing/

Y’all what the hell happened to paradeworld?!?! Since the turn of the year it’s nothing but designer bullshit. I used to come to this site for skate brand clothing exclusively and now I see $1,200 pants and $600 off white jean jackets left and right. What kind of shit is this?

Covid ended and skate shops didn't need to rely on paradeworld for online sales anymore, thats what happened. But forreal they probably weren't getting enough commission from just skate shops anymore and expanded to boutiques to bring in new customers.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1914 on: October 25, 2022, 01:02:15 PM »
Do risers change the effective wheelbase? Thunder cast adds 3.125” to the wheelbase so would adding risers change that at all?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1915 on: October 25, 2022, 02:26:13 PM »
No

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1916 on: October 25, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
No
Thanks! Didn’t think so but I couldn’t find an official answer anywhere.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1917 on: October 25, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
Anyone know what boards Rowan and Jacopo ride? Baker dudes often have custom shapes or their graphics heat transferred on but I've always been curious.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1918 on: October 25, 2022, 11:31:06 PM »
Anyone rode a Paterson deck recently and know the dims of the 8.25 and 8.5 boards? Woodshop thread says they are Clutch but I'm not sure about which mold they use.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #1919 on: October 26, 2022, 10:33:45 AM »
Any one try the Metal Fred Gall 8.25 shape? Thoughts or feedback?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus