Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216739 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2160 on: December 09, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
How do you guys lace up your Maranas or other shoes with hidden lace loops?

I’ve never questioned how I lace my shoes, I just roll with them like the manufacturer set them up. Just thought about this now, because my new shoes didn’t come fully laced.

You do you
But go for hidden loops if you rip laces fast / often
You can just hide them near the toebox / where you rip them

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #2161 on: December 09, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »

I’ve never questioned how I lace my shoes, I just roll with them like the manufacturer set them up. Just thought about this now, because my new shoes didn’t come fully laced.

as someone who skated only maranas for the past 2 years. i had no idea this even existed untill you pointed this out.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #2162 on: December 09, 2022, 01:58:14 PM »
This might have been asked before..

But why do boards seem to chip less these days?

Always seemed like my decks in the late 90s/00s always had a chip from running into a wall, rail or the ground. These days not so much. Not sure if its because i dont skate gaps anymore, or if manufacturing is just better these days. Maybe the tapered shapes back then chipped easier than the rounded/blunted ones today?

Curious to hear any theories, or if im just imagining shit.

Pretty sure there were some major advances in wood treatment and especially glue technology

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #2163 on: December 09, 2022, 02:57:10 PM »
I always chipped Deathwish boards real quick.  Real bloards less so.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2164 on: December 09, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote

I�ve never questioned how I lace my shoes, I just roll with them like the manufacturer set them up. Just thought about this now, because my new shoes didn�t come fully laced.
[close]

You do you
But go for hidden loops if you rip laces fast / often
You can just hide them near the toebox / where you rip them

Good idea, maybe try and skate them as is, and if I rip them, I�ll tuck the first couple loops on my front foot shoe. It�s a very cool feature, I think.

as someone who skated only maranas for the past 2 years. i had no idea this even existed untill you pointed this out.

Haha, that�s awesome! I think I read about it somewhere. I like all the tech shit and thought they put in to the Marana. And so far they seem perfect. Will probably walk around a day in each pair at work before skating them.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #2165 on: December 10, 2022, 07:06:22 AM »
Seeing this graphic of Jake Hayes' Deathwish board made me wonder how many deck graphics are actually done via AI tools? This one certainly was created like that. 

Also do you care? Is it important for brand identity or do you and kids give a shit anyway?
I am personally very picky about dims (mainly wb) and wood (mainly bbs) and would also accept a board with subpar graphics (looking at you Real). But if there is proper artwork I am certainly more stoked about it.

Not a big deal, but from looking at and commenting in the Wheel thread about the three plain and one coloured wheel, the post from Jake Hayes (third frame) would be awesome from more people describing their setup info.  Still might not answer some questions, but it goes a long way to helping with product info when I think he would have been getting a lot of questions asking what was on his setup.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2166 on: December 10, 2022, 07:36:44 AM »
Seeing this graphic of Jake Hayes' Deathwish board made me wonder how many deck graphics are actually done via AI tools? This one certainly was created like that. 

Also do you care? Is it important for brand identity or do you and kids give a shit anyway?
I am personally very picky about dims (mainly wb) and wood (mainly bbs) and would also accept a board with subpar graphics (looking at you Real). But if there is proper artwork I am certainly more stoked about it.

Expand Quote

Not a big deal, but from looking at and commenting in the Wheel thread about the three plain and one coloured wheel, the post from Jake Hayes (third frame) would be awesome from more people describing their setup info.  Still might not answer some questions, but it goes a long way to helping with product info when I think he would have been getting a lot of questions asking what was on his setup.

[close]

It says in the caption that it's a painting by Zachary Baldus. What makes you think it's created by AI?

I really like that graphic.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2167 on: December 10, 2022, 07:44:40 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Does anything specifically imply that this deck was made by AI, or are you just having a hard time believing that a human could imagine and then paint something a little weird?  The artist is tagged in the post and he has a bunch of funky art like this

devils acrobat

« Reply #2168 on: December 10, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »
Ha, well I didnt see that artist tag. My bad, didnt want to throw shade.

How I got to this assumption? I was playing around with such a tool recently and the results often had a similar look to it. I also asked a friend of mine who is more into graphic design and he said it looks like 100% made like that. Also he created the attached images using a few keywords and they do look similar. Anyway, as I said, I didnt want to discredit real artists work.

eviltgirl

« Reply #2169 on: December 10, 2022, 12:14:47 PM »

How I got to this assumption? I was playing around with such a tool recently and the results often had a similar look to it. I also asked a friend of mine who is more into graphic design and he said it looks like 100% made like that. Also he created the attached images using a few keywords and they do look similar. Anyway, as I said, I didnt want to discredit real artists work.

Sorry, I went in harder on you than I should have

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #2170 on: December 10, 2022, 07:35:17 PM »
That Hayes graphic is anything but weird. Nature setting with a kangaroo and hot air balloons doesn't really scream "weird" to anyone does it?

Pretty tame, tasteful, and homage to his roots

Also I do not see the AI generated viewpoint at all. Looks like an authentic piece to me
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2171 on: December 10, 2022, 09:22:44 PM »
That Hayes graphic is anything but weird. Nature setting with a kangaroo and hot air balloons doesn't really scream "weird" to anyone does it?

Also I do not see the AI generated viewpoint at all. Looks like an authentic piece to me
It's what we see when we look out the window. People forge hot air balloon is Australia's main mode of travel

devils acrobat

« Reply #2172 on: December 11, 2022, 12:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry, I went in harder on you than I should have

All good thanks, it was me with a controversial take in the end it seems.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2173 on: December 11, 2022, 02:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It's what we see when we look out the window. People forget hot air balloon is Australia's main mode of travel

Ha yeah for sure!

Gotta say though, out here in the rural / country area, we do have lots of kangaroos and quite a few hot air balloons but I can't say I have seen both at the same time.

Now roos in hot air balloons would be another thing entirely!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2174 on: December 11, 2022, 12:55:16 PM »
Anyone else had bad luck with zero decks from 2020/covid era? This summer I've bought a Zero Cole MMXX 8.25 deck and it got soggy within a few sessions. Retired it but gave it another chance today. I like the shape but this thing barely leaves ground...

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #2175 on: December 12, 2022, 01:25:28 AM »

Always seemed like my decks in the late 90s/00s always had a chip from running into a wall, rail or the ground. These days not so much. Not sure if its because i dont skate gaps anymore, or if manufacturing is just better these days. Maybe the tapered shapes back then chipped easier than the rounded/blunted ones today?

evolution of nano tubes

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2176 on: December 12, 2022, 05:10:09 AM »
Anyone else had bad luck with zero decks from 2020/covid era? This summer I've bought a Zero Cole MMXX 8.25 deck and it got soggy within a few sessions. Retired it but gave it another chance today. I like the shape but this thing barely leaves ground...

Did it come from clutch?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Schinken

« Reply #2177 on: December 12, 2022, 06:37:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did it come from clutch?
I don't know. Any ideas how to find out?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2178 on: December 12, 2022, 06:47:13 AM »
If they are 2020 decks they are probably from China, early COVID days they were from B-tier woodshops, same with Toy Machine and Foundation decks. Waterlogged and chipped so easily.

Only later in 2020 and 2021 they managed to get Dwindle to do their decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #2179 on: December 12, 2022, 09:03:49 AM »
I'm crazy confused.

I just paid taxes on my car in May. Why do I gotta pay again? Is it yearly I gotta pay? It hasn't even been a year either.

Second question...

If it is yearly am I going to see two bills from two towns? I registered my car to Salem on the day I paid in May.

This is fucked up. I called they said just pay it.

I don't even want my car.

Slugboi22

« Reply #2180 on: December 12, 2022, 11:44:50 PM »
how much does the quasi proto 8.5 taper towards the back?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2181 on: December 13, 2022, 06:42:57 AM »
I'm crazy confused.

I just paid taxes on my car in May. Why do I gotta pay again? Is it yearly I gotta pay? It hasn't even been a year either.

Second question...

If it is yearly am I going to see two bills from two towns? I registered my car to Salem on the day I paid in May.

This is fucked up. I called they said just pay it.

I don't even want my car.

Where I live you pay for “tags” which is just a sticker you put on your plate in the corner. But only tax one time.  Since you said 2 towns involved could one town not got the memo you paid tax on your car already?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2182 on: December 13, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »
I got 8.25 over the back and front bolts with 8.38 in the middle. Another PS Stix 8.5 that presumably would be the same shape was still 8.25 over the bolts but 8.5ish in the middle and up top. The shapes are pretty hard to tell apart by looking at them.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Slugboi22

« Reply #2183 on: December 13, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got 8.25 over the back and front bolts with 8.38 in the middle. Another PS Stix 8.5 that presumably would be the same shape was still 8.25 over the bolts but 8.5ish in the middle and up top. The shapes are pretty hard to tell apart by looking at them.
Hey thanks for this! good to know for the future as i have my eyes set on a proto right now but have been riding 8.38 for a bit. :-)

skatebruh

« Reply #2184 on: December 13, 2022, 12:00:28 PM »

When I was a kid, I used to destroy boards skating the rough asphalt in front of my house. Now I'm an adult who drives to the skatepark to skate and my boards last longer.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2185 on: December 13, 2022, 08:07:17 PM »
I took a break for a bit and let all my gear end up in a pile for months. In that process I forgot which board had my one set of Six Ball Swiss on it. I’m over my madness and am just setting one board up…

How do I know which set of these bearings are Swiss? I know I’ve had normal 6 balls in the past so I don’t know if there’s any way to differentiate once the shields are off?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2186 on: December 13, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
My Swiss 6 had blue shields

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2187 on: December 13, 2022, 09:59:50 PM »

No shields on these regrettably. I also can’t seem to find another set of 6 balls around so I can’t even make a comparison. The ones I do have on hand have a nice little recess where the shield would have been and am maybe thinking this is a clue that they’re Swiss.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2188 on: December 13, 2022, 10:16:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No shields on these regrettably. I also can’t seem to find another set of 6 balls around so I can’t even make a comparison. The ones I do have on hand have a nice little recess where the shield would have been and am maybe thinking this is a clue that they’re Swiss.

maybe this will solve your problem, looks like swiss 6 have a bronze looking retainer. i think most other companies use black so just look for the bronze

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-bearings-6-ball-replacement-retainer-4pk

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2189 on: December 14, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »
My 6 yr old son ask the sudden is asking for a skateboard for Christmas.  Suggestions for complete starter boards?  I might even give some money to element if that’s the answer.  Don’t really want to give him my stack of 8.5 BBS with Aces and Conical fulls at 37 pounds.