Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216630 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2700 on: March 05, 2023, 12:10:57 PM »
I break too many decks.
What are cheap decks I get into?

What would you do?

Shops here have Relikk or moose blanks. They suck i guess.

I've always liked moose blanks. Loved the low concave 8.5
But also do the math and figure out if getting super expensive decks like vx/flight would actually save you money. Might even be a lot of money

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2701 on: March 05, 2023, 12:17:59 PM »
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

Use the threads on sale gear to get BBS decks for the same price you’re paying on decks that are breaking. Switch to wider boards and work on landing on bolts.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2702 on: March 05, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
Use the threads on sale gear to get BBS decks for the same price you’re paying on decks that are breaking. Switch to wider boards and work on landing on bolts.

I have to admit ; I don’t get the first sentence.

Working on landing bolts is funny 😄
Man, one time not landing bolts on a hard flip trick (don’t has to be a hard flip; to be a hard flip trick) and the deck is done.

You really think wider decks would help this? What would you consider a wide deck?
I‘m a pretty technical dude; so I’m not planning on getting too wide.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2703 on: March 05, 2023, 01:47:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

Man, one time not landing bolts on a hard flip trick (don’t has to be a hard flip; to be a hard flip trick) and the deck is done.

You really think wider decks would help this? What would you consider a wide deck?
I’m assuming you’re Canadian, so you can find deals from shops here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122481.30

For me, it’s probably anything above 8.75-9”. As long as you’re not looking to do triple or quadruple flip tricks, you’ll probably be good on a bigger board with a short wheelbase. 8.5” is pretty standard and easy to get, but it all depends on your preference. I don’t know if you’re skating a 7.8”. If I were you, I’d go to a shop and see what feels right, and seems like it would be an improvement, without looking at the size labels.

Summary: Look into wider boards with shorter wheelbases, and try improving your technique for landing on bolts.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2704 on: March 05, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

For me, it’s probably anything above 8.75-9”. As long as you’re not looking to do triple or quadruple flip tricks, you’ll probably be good on a bigger board with a short wheelbase. 8.5” is pretty standard and easy to get, but it all depends on your preference. I don’t know if you’re skating a 7.8”. If I were you, I’d go to a shop and see what feels right, and seems like it would be an improvement, without looking at the size labels.

Summary: Look into wider boards with shorter wheelbases, and try improving your technique for landing on bolts.

Thanks, didn’t know those sale threads

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2705 on: March 05, 2023, 06:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

If you're a board breaker check out the Impact decks from Almost / Enjoi, you can find a bunch of them on clearance with the recent DSM kerfuffle. They are extremely stiff and durable, aren't as heavy as Crailtap's Pop Secret and don't razor as fast as NHS' VX decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lesghettah

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2706 on: March 05, 2023, 07:09:35 PM »
How old is too old for a board? I found an old quasi in storage, probably 6 years old at this point, would the wood still be good to skate?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2707 on: March 05, 2023, 08:04:05 PM »
How old is too old for a board? I found an old quasi in storage, probably 6 years old at this point, would the wood still be good to skate?

Should be fine.

Stand on it and flex the nose and tail.  Then turn it over graphic side up and stand both feet in the middle and bounce.  I would guess that if it holds up to both of those, it would be fine to skate.

That was always the way that a guy would check his old boards, that we used to know and although the science is not really there, the theory was good enough to carry him through.

Some boards he would just put straight back on the shelf / wall in the shop and more often than not they were the ones that had issues, if other people skated them.

Too soft and it will flex out easily.  Too dry and it will snap more easily.  A reasonable amount of strength with a little flex usually means it is still solid and should go ok, your own bad landings aside.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2708 on: March 06, 2023, 02:51:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

Working on landing bolts is funny

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

If you're a board breaker check out the Impact decks from Almost / Enjoi, you can find a bunch of them on clearance with the recent DSM kerfuffle. They are extremely stiff and durable, aren't as heavy as Crailtap's Pop Secret and don't razor as fast as NHS' VX decks.

Will check them out, thanks! It’s really frustrating. Few ply‘s broke the first 20 minutes after a front shuv. Three days later it broke completely on the other side from a varial heel.

The deck before broke from a hard flip. The one before that on a varial heel too.
 Those „front“ tricks are really problematic for me. I have to pop them super hard. I can’t even do a low front shuv.

The enjoi and almost are the same wood/ shape etc? They are made by DSM?

When those decks are longer lasting and the pop feel too, and they are the same price ; why is not everybody skating them?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:53:40 AM by SlapMcKracken »

manysnakes

« Reply #2709 on: March 06, 2023, 05:09:30 AM »
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

Have you considered one of the heavy duty decks? I know obviously we love to rip Powell apart for everything but I’ve known a few heavy hitters who splurged for one of their Flight Decks and found that it actually held up long enough to justify the price.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2710 on: March 06, 2023, 05:18:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

Will check them out, thanks! It’s really frustrating. Few ply‘s broke the first 20 minutes after a front shuv. Three days later it broke completely on the other side from a varial heel.

The deck before broke from a hard flip. The one before that on a varial heel too.
 Those „front“ tricks are really problematic for me. I have to pop them super hard. I can’t even do a low front shuv.

When those decks are longer lasting and the pop feel too, and they are the same price ; why is not everybody skating them?
They still razor tail.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2711 on: March 06, 2023, 05:20:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.

Razor tailing more than others?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #2712 on: March 06, 2023, 06:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.

On my 3rd flight.
It’s not the only board I use, but the one I definitely use the most, and it’s not going into its 3rd year.
Regripped once, and have redrilled the wheelbase (Powell boards don’t have a lot of short WB anyways) and have sanded down the tail a few times.

It will be retired soon, but yeah, they are fucking durable.

The other two got cut down into cruisers/fauxlerizers and they have a nice spring in them without ever having to worry about snapping them.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2713 on: March 06, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.
[close]

Almost / Darkstar / Blind / Enjoi all use DSM, single pressed, stick to the R7 or the R7 Impact / Impact Light, they start out extremely stiff and crispy but break in eventually. The impact ones don't razor as quickly as Powell Flight / Santa Cruz VX, very underrated and worth the money. The stiffness can be off putting for a start but stick with it beyond the 1st session and report back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2714 on: March 06, 2023, 07:57:22 AM »
dude i never thought of that sanding down a razor tail you can turn a 6.75" tail into a 6.5" !!! genius!! I love the shorter tails.

On my 3rd flight.
and have sanded down the tail a few times.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #2715 on: March 06, 2023, 08:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.
[close]

[close]

Almost / Darkstar / Blind / Enjoi all use DSM, single pressed, stick to the R7 or the R7 Impact / Impact Light, they start out extremely stiff and crispy but break in eventually. The impact ones don't razor as quickly as Powell Flight / Santa Cruz VX, very underrated and worth the money. The stiffness can be off putting for a start but stick with it beyond the 1st session and report back.

Who is going to have impact boards going forward? Or r7?
I wasn’t a huge fan, but it’s been 10 years. I’m not usually a stiff board guy… … … sometimes the results were fantastic, and then the next trick is just whiff, badly. But. Predictably you all have me wanting to try one

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2716 on: March 06, 2023, 08:26:05 AM »
Well we actually don't know if Dwindle owns the woodshop, or they are just partnered with DSM. As far as we know they are completely seprate entities.

So I imagine NHS boards will still be made in the exact same fashion as they have been. The dwindle brands though, those could end up in a different wood shop entirely or possibly discontinued. Or its possible they will continue on under the new management and keep making the boards. 

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2717 on: March 06, 2023, 09:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.
[close]

[close]

And they all have the same shape, really?
There’s full shape enjoi impact light decks too I saw though

Ayjerry

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2718 on: March 06, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »
anyone have any recommendations from shoes similar to Nike SB Chron 2 with more toe protection?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2719 on: March 06, 2023, 01:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.
[close]

[close]

[close]

The shapes are specific to the size (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but yea all those DSM/Dwindle brands share the same shapes/dimensions/sizes. I think Palace may be the only one with some custom shapes.

Due to the single press, you can interchange between brands. An 8.0 Almost will be identical to an 8.0 Enjoi, Blind, etc. I don't think the concave changes that much between board widths but someone else can confirm.

When I used to skate 7.75, I mainly skated Enjoi/Almost and the decks were all identical. Pretty sick especially if you like to stick to one shape. I'm not sure if anyone else had the same experience, but from what I remember, those decks razor tailed faster than BBS wood. Almost 1-2 weeks earlier sometimes. Haven't skated them in years though so quality may have improved

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2720 on: March 06, 2023, 01:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

[close]
They still razor tail.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
The shapes are specific to the size (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but yea all those DSM/Dwindle brands share the same shapes/dimensions/sizes. I think Palace may be the only one with some custom shapes.

Due to the single press, you can interchange between brands. An 8.0 Almost will be identical to an 8.0 Enjoi, Blind, etc. I don't think the concave changes that much between board widths but someone else can confirm.

When I used to skate 7.75, I mainly skated Enjoi/Almost and the decks were all identical. Pretty sick especially if you like to stick to one shape. I'm not sure if anyone else had the same experience, but from what I remember, those decks razor tailed faster than BBS wood. Almost 1-2 weeks earlier sometimes. Haven't skated them in years though so quality may have improved

Interesting that they all share the same shape. I wanted to stick to alien workshop / habitat / metal, but let’s see.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2721 on: March 06, 2023, 02:47:44 PM »
how do wheels get a stone ground finish/pre broken in? when they look dusty and feel soft to the touch on the contact patch. im curious as to what the machine is like but cant find any info

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2722 on: March 06, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting that they all share the same shape. I wanted to stick to alien workshop / habitat / metal, but let’s see.

They do have an assortment of molds and options which do vary significantly, so check the top of board for info on that:

Full concave
Mellow concave
Steep kick
Mellow kick

Combinations like this are fairly common:

Full concave, steep kicks - Blind, Darkstar and most pricepoint decks
Mellow concave, steep kick - Almost decks, either for certain shapes or rider options
Mellow concave, mellow kick - one or two I had seen but forget exactly which, but not that common, only on pro boards for certain shapes or riders.

As to why don't everyone ride them?

I prefer the feel, concave and flex of (very mellow) BBS boards over everything else.  If a board is too steep in the tail or too stiff for me, I just can not skate it, so although DSM and some other woodshops make great boards, I come away with very sore / stressed ankles and my old broken body just can't handle those boards.

I can park my car on and flatten out the kicks of BBS boards without any issues and they last a long time for me, so I am happy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2723 on: March 06, 2023, 04:22:45 PM »
how do wheels get a stone ground finish/pre broken in? when they look dusty and feel soft to the touch on the contact patch. im curious as to what the machine is like but cant find any info

Would "stoneground" actually be a grinding stone or something resembling it, but I haven't seen the process either, even though I have seen and skated enough of those sort of wheels to know what you are meaning.

I would imagine that they use a very coarse grit sanding wheel or something similar that takes the smooth finish off the wheel, much like skating coarse concrete ground will clean up your wheels very quickly if you are carving or leaning to turn, rather than just going in straight lines.

There is some information online about it, mostly from long board type of sites, but nothing explaining how it is done, so I would go with what I said above.  This is the most common line I see though:

"Wheels come with two different surface textures, stoneground and smooth. Stone ground surfaces are pre-broken in, which makes breaking into slides less difficult. Smooth surfaces usually have a glossy finish and provide maximum grip."

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #2724 on: March 06, 2023, 04:55:45 PM »
Mellow concave mellow kick would be nice.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #2725 on: March 06, 2023, 09:51:31 PM »
Is it better to store boards stacked on top of each other or on the side?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #2726 on: March 06, 2023, 10:33:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP your wallet

[close]

woodshop directory

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #2727 on: March 07, 2023, 01:04:13 AM »
I break too many decks.

What would you do?

dig up @Mbrimson88 baseplate filing tip or maybe he will for you?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2728 on: March 07, 2023, 01:39:21 AM »
it's preferable to avoid stacking
put them on the side (be sure they are 90° with the ground)

manysnakes

« Reply #2729 on: March 07, 2023, 05:24:19 AM »

I worked in a lumber yard and we weren’t supposed to sit plywood on it’s side lest it deform, so I don’t see why skateboards would be any different. Stacked together will have more constant and even pressure applied throughout the decks.