Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216613 times)

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3180 on: April 21, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
anyone wanna venture a guess what pepper's grit # is?

When ever I tell someone that Pepper is like Jessup with Mob holes they say I hit it on the nail

Even in the sandpaper business one company's 80 grit is going to different from another's. For all we know they might all thank their selling us 80 grit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3181 on: April 21, 2023, 03:25:31 PM »
Generator makes perforated grip for several companies and shops and to me that feels identical to Pepper and the new Shake Junt Onyx. They all have the same color paper, same perforation spacing, and I can't tell a difference. My guess is it's all the same thing from the same place.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #3182 on: April 22, 2023, 07:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When ever I tell someone that Pepper is like Jessup with Mob holes they say I hit it on the nail

Even in the sandpaper business one company's 80 grit is going to different from another's. For all we know they might all thank their selling us 80 grit

found a sheet of jessup & had a sheet of pepper and they do feel similar under thumb. not scientific obviously, but this makes sense

Generator makes perforated grip for several companies and shops and to me that feels identical to Pepper and the new Shake Junt Onyx. They all have the same color paper, same perforation spacing, and I can't tell a difference. My guess is it's all the same thing from the same place.

i can get behind this theory

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3183 on: April 22, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

found a sheet of jessup & had a sheet of pepper and they do feel similar under thumb. not scientific obviously, but this makes sense

Expand Quote
[close]

I’d like one step down from mob, in grit.
I am used to jessup, but these days I keep boards FOREVER. I skate boards that are 10 years old some days. And I’ve been skating in dunks. Mob is a bit much, but when I circle back to some deck that’s been under the bed for a few years, it works out a bit better

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3184 on: April 22, 2023, 05:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’d like one step down from mob, in grit.
I am used to jessup, but these days I keep boards FOREVER. I skate boards that are 10 years old some days. And I’ve been skating in dunks. Mob is a bit much, but when I circle back to some deck that’s been under the bed for a few years, it works out a bit better

I do think shoe choice has a lot to do with how grip tape feels as well.

Simple Vans for me and Jessup is just perfect, from new for ramp and transition, then more all rounder / street boards when older and worn in, but like you said, some boards that are so old and well worn are still great with Jessup from when I first set them up well over a decade ago, compared to some other grip which just doesn't hold up that long.  Mob also holds up just as long, but feels nicer with a slight dusting off before use, even though it is still a bit too grippy for my liking.

Mob and other more coarse grit just tear my shoes to bits, thumbs too, or anything else it touches, but I can also see how people who ride more solid soled shoes need that untouched extra grit to keep things in check.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3185 on: April 23, 2023, 04:22:22 AM »
How is Pepper Grip compated to mob & jessup ultra?

I like the jessup ultra most, mob is nice too ofc but prefer ultra as it's a little bit easier on the shoes

manysnakes

« Reply #3186 on: April 23, 2023, 05:45:46 AM »

For as many skateboard manufacturers as there are, there are going to be even fewer grip tape makers, so I buy this.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3187 on: April 23, 2023, 08:24:00 AM »
I do think shoe choice has a lot to do with how grip tape feels as well.

Simple Vans for me and Jessup is just perfect....more solid soled shoes need that untouched extra grit to keep things in check.
100 - new balance cupsoles with mob works perfectly

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3188 on: April 23, 2023, 09:53:21 AM »
yeah, this makes sense, my ankles just hurt thinking about doing a kick flip with mob and half cabs.....

I can just feel the board pulling back on my foot.

I'm a mob/cup guy....I like the extra grippiness and it stays grippy longer. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3189 on: April 23, 2023, 09:21:53 PM »
Yes you three are all correct.
I especially love those new half cab new mob grip moments. The straining of lower leg ligaments, the Half flipped board jammed into the ground and/or shin. Huge fan.
Skating is tight.
If I played an instrument I might still be getting better.

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3190 on: April 23, 2023, 09:55:20 PM »
Does anyone know of a board that has a similar shape to this old Krooked board? Something that’s readily available and not old stock. It reminds me of an old Matt Rodriguez shape

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #3191 on: April 23, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »
Does anyone know of a board that has a similar shape to this old Krooked board? Something that’s readily available and not old stock. It reminds me of an old Matt Rodriguez shape

Try hitting up Legend. Sacto board maker and the Gonz/Tommy shape looks fairly close:

He might even have Matt’s shape to make one.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #3192 on: April 24, 2023, 12:04:35 AM »
Not sure if that was his exact shape at the time, but DLX started making those shortly after he got on Anti Hero. I can't remember who outside of DLX was using it, but Grosso called them out in one of the Loveletters to the effect of "just because the woodshop offers my shape doesn't mean you have to use it". I had a yellow dipped Krooked board with that shape in 2013 and I think it was 8.5 at its widest. The nooner shape may be the closest currently at 9" if you can find one
fuck you bama

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3194 on: April 24, 2023, 05:22:32 AM »
is there an easy way to tell the difference of the skate vs. non skate Converse? i am guessing they have different insoles and that would be an easy way to tell

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #3195 on: April 24, 2023, 05:24:51 AM »
is there an easy way to tell the difference of the skate vs. non skate Converse? i am guessing they have different insoles and that would be an easy way to tell

usually says cons on heel or tongue. wish it was a lot easier like the vans checkertab

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3196 on: April 24, 2023, 06:16:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

usually says cons on heel or tongue. wish it was a lot easier like the vans checkertab

whats the vans checkertab?

I understand now - CONS is specifically the skate line of stuff. lol i just thought that was people short forming it. you can clearly see it printed in the insoles of the shoes and on the tongue of the CTAS and Jack Purcell (the two i was really interested in)

the CTAS are tricky because if you cant actually see into the shoe from the photo its harder to tell, especially if its all black. I noticed thinkempire sells both the nonskate version and the skate versions of stuff ( i think?) which is pretty annoying.

example: https://thinkempire.com/collections/men-shoes/products/converse-chuck-70-canvas-hi-black-black-shoes-unisex-co

vs

https://thinkempire.com/collections/men-shoes/products/converse-ct-as-pro-hi-shoes-unisex-co
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 06:23:53 AM by rawbertson. »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3197 on: April 24, 2023, 05:14:54 PM »

So from looking it up, that is listed as 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb board on a couple of sites, not sure if it is the same as the Barney shape, that was about those dimensions, but I think the Barney was listed as 8.48 with shorter wheelbase.  I would have to dig it out to check.

The Barney was a pretty regular shape in the line up for a long time, but I don't think I have seen one for a while, at least not since the Lance skull series boards, which had one for the Phelps / Thrasher graphic.

If you are after 8.5 x 32 or so, there are a few others out there like that, which I can find too.  Some different brands, same woodshop, others different woodshops too, so it depends on what you are after, or how wide your options, eg some people would be happy with wider, bigger, smaller, while others want almost the exact same dimensions.

Edit:

I forgot I had one on a wall, so measured it and yes it is about 8.48 to 8.5 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb.

Barney pool shape.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/antihero-skateboards-alpha-beta-barney-skateboard-deck-8-5-p22444

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/anderson-farm-boy-barney-shape-skateboard-deck-8-5-p32714

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 05:26:47 PM by Mbrimson88 »

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #3198 on: April 24, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get the clutch popsicle blanks in the O shape?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3199 on: April 24, 2023, 06:18:34 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get the clutch popsicle blanks in the O shape?

What size or "product number", eg O 7 = 8.25 are you after?

Even hit up Clutch directly if you can't find any other suitable option.

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1

Ryan Gallant has a blank supply of Clutch boards, not sure what options though, but you can check with him, or even through his printing company too:

https://blankchecksupply.com/

https://www.instagram.com/rgwoods.co/

rg woods co
Product/service
Custom skateboard printing by Ryan Gallant
For current pricing and turn around time email [email protected]

LB Skate shop had some - not blanks, but they are cheap right now.  Check with them as to which boards are that shape.  Others like @rocklobster or someone had said that is what they were.

Not sure who else would have them, without having to get minimum order quantities, so if it is just for you, getting 25 or so decks might be a bit much.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3200 on: April 24, 2023, 06:21:00 PM »
i was going thru a pile of skated decks and pulled both a DOA flat as fuck and and orchard Robbie Gangemi.

Gangemi is 8.5/14WB, short and pretty flat. I skated it briefly and wasn't super stoked on it. It felt non-responsive and heavy.

DOA is 8.5/14.25WB and has more kicks than the Gangemi. Still, this was a board that felt sluggish as well. Felt heavy.

They're both in good shape and I wanna see if they'll be my bread and buttah for getting the ever elusive tre flip compared with my current fave shape, Real Full SE, 8.5/14.38WB, which is far steeper, feels lighter, and pops nice and high.

All that said, aside from getting into truck madness- i'm not dicking around with trucks- what do I gotta do to adjust to these flatter, short WB shapes?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

SupremePizza

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3201 on: April 25, 2023, 10:26:42 AM »
I went from skating an 8.25 Girl on venture 5.6 highs w/53mm girl wheels to 8.25 FA on same trucks w/ spitfire 56mm classics. I like the squared shape and shorter tail, and it feels easier popping onto ledges however my flip tricks are not as consistent as they were on the girl. Is it the deck, increase in wheel size, or trucks that are throwing me off? I don't want to go down the madness hole and was thinking I'll get used to it eventually, I've only had 3 sessions on it so far.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3202 on: April 25, 2023, 10:41:29 AM »
i was going thru a pile of skated decks and pulled both a DOA flat as fuck and and orchard Robbie Gangemi.

Gangemi is 8.5/14WB, short and pretty flat. I skated it briefly and wasn't super stoked on it. It felt non-responsive and heavy.

DOA is 8.5/14.25WB and has more kicks than the Gangemi. Still, this was a board that felt sluggish as well. Felt heavy.

They're both in good shape and I wanna see if they'll be my bread and buttah for getting the ever elusive tre flip compared with my current fave shape, Real Full SE, 8.5/14.38WB, which is far steeper, feels lighter, and pops nice and high.

All that said, aside from getting into truck madness- i'm not dicking around with trucks- what do I gotta do to adjust to these flatter, short WB shapes?

Try popping harder with feet closer to the bolts.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3203 on: April 25, 2023, 11:13:45 AM »
I went from skating an 8.25 Girl on venture 5.6 highs w/53mm girl wheels to 8.25 FA on same trucks w/ spitfire 56mm classics. I like the squared shape and shorter tail, and it feels easier popping onto ledges however my flip tricks are not as consistent as they were on the girl. Is it the deck, increase in wheel size, or trucks that are throwing me off? I don't want to go down the madness hole and was thinking I'll get used to it eventually, I've only had 3 sessions on it so far.
it's probably multiple factors but my guess would be the wheel size plus the concave/shape of the FA which is a lot different than crail shapes

roll_dog

« Reply #3204 on: April 25, 2023, 11:18:42 AM »

I don't have an answer for ya, but I can't help wonder why you are trying to make different equipment work for you? No sense forcing it...seems like madness for madness sake.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3205 on: April 25, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't have an answer for ya, but I can't help wonder why you are trying to make different equipment work for you? No sense forcing it...seems like madness for madness sake.

Ive got em sitting around and wanna see what they can do. Im trying some different shit as far as tricks go and am curious to see how different shapes work. Some dudes i respect big time and admire their skating swear by these decks. So ima give it a go
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #3206 on: May 03, 2023, 11:26:39 AM »
Here's one for the 9-5ers. (or anyone that skates in the evening.) Do y'all skate before dinner or after?

I'm always antsy when I get off work and wanna go skate right away, but I find a lot of times if I do I have a little less energy and the session suffers. Whereas if I eat an early enough meal, digest and decompress, I'll usually skate better as long as I don't eat something crazy.

Y'all got any evening rituals like that?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3207 on: May 03, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »
Here's one for the 9-5ers. (or anyone that skates in the evening.) Do y'all skate before dinner or after?

I'm always antsy when I get off work and wanna go skate right away, but I find a lot of times if I do I have a little less energy and the session suffers. Whereas if I eat an early enough meal, digest and decompress, I'll usually skate better as long as I don't eat something crazy.

When I plan to skate after work I usually eat lunch because I can't eat something and immediately go skate.
So dinner is after the session for me. And sometimes it is nice to get a Kebab with the boys after the session.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #3208 on: May 03, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »
Either empty stomach or immediately after eating before digestion sets in.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3209 on: May 03, 2023, 11:50:49 AM »

depends on the time of the year.  during winter months, I go as soon as possible to get as much remaining daylight as possible.  this makes it easy to eat after.  during the summer, I wait for it to cool down a bit and head out around 7.  my sessions are about 2 hours typically so this gets me home as its getting too dark to skate.  this makes it easy to eat before.

its a good idea to try and have the biggest meal of the day in the morning, followed by the second biggest meal at lunch, and then a light dinner.