Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202057 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3390 on: May 24, 2023, 03:31:54 AM »
Off-topic, but does anyone else experience a lot of freezing pages browsing Slap on mobile? I'm using Chrome on an Android and Chrome seems to stop responding a ton lately, and it mostly happens while browsing Slap. Just wondering if it's my device/app that's causing these problems, or if it's server-side.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #3391 on: May 24, 2023, 05:23:51 AM »
Can anybody identify the Nike basketball shoe k2 was inspired by?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3392 on: May 24, 2023, 05:24:40 AM »
what truck size would you recommend for a Zip Zogger 10.75" ?
It seems that 169 Indys / 161 Thunders should work with large wheels

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3393 on: May 24, 2023, 07:19:56 AM »
what truck size would you recommend for a Zip Zogger 10.75" ?
It seems that 169 Indys / 161 Thunders should work with large wheels

Some people have used Indy 215 or Thunder 181s (which is what they made them for) but the funny thing is they just kind of sit a bit too wide for comfort for most people, so yeah Indy 169s or Thunder 161s work well, usually with wider wheels if you want them to sit on the edge, or any normal wheels to sit under a bit.

Personal preference really, but here are the two examples:

posted in the big boy thread but it's TOO BIG

spillin over for the cross post

Zogger 10.75"
169 / 92a barrel bushing / khiro soft pivot cups
56mm F4 Radial (worn to 53*)
indy 1/8 risers
indy/thrasher hellride hardware
swiss 6
jessup

Gonna get weird on this thing. At first I thought this thing was stupid. Was kicking myself after passing. Scooped up 3 next chance I got

Zig Zogger 10.75 x 30
Independent 215s Chinese hanger/American baseplate
Formula Four 51mm 101 conicals
Reds
Shorty’s
Jessup
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3394 on: May 24, 2023, 07:34:02 AM »
I always thought it was inspired by a hiking boot. Interesting that this was the first skate shoe with an EVA midsole.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3395 on: May 24, 2023, 09:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I always thought it was inspired by a hiking boot. Interesting that this was the first skate shoe with an EVA midsole.

Could very well be. The designer, Franck Boistel says in his Ripped Laces interview that it’s based on a Nike b-ball shoe that Koston brought to them, IF he remembers correctly

https://andrewtmurrell.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/meet-the-man-behind-all-of-your-favorite-skate-shoes/

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3396 on: May 24, 2023, 05:17:26 PM »
Off-topic, but does anyone else experience a lot of freezing pages browsing Slap on mobile? I'm using Chrome on an Android and Chrome seems to stop responding a ton lately, and it mostly happens while browsing Slap. Just wondering if it's my device/app that's causing these problems, or if it's server-side.

Firefox fixes things
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #3397 on: May 24, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
Had that happen as well as when trying to embed videos(no matter how I try embedding them) they just come up as a link. Never did that until about a month ago.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3398 on: May 25, 2023, 01:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
im sure this has been asked in here 1000 times but does anyone have any recommendations on twin nose boards or boards with a wider tail?

im getting back into skating after 11ish years and im 6’6 and have a size 13 shoe. i already feel too big for my 8.5 shop deck. i have a 8.5 hockey deck given to me by a friend that im about to set up today so we’ll see how that goes.
[close]

I'm also a 13 and I picked up a Hockey 8.75 and I've been really enjoying it. Big Square nose but it also has a really full tail, much fuller than the 8.5 shape. I also tried the 8.8 BA shape but it was too long
[close]

i skated the hockey deck today and i actually really liked it. tail is pretty big, and yeah ive been actually thinking about going up to something like a 9 but that might be a bit much.
same height same shoe size
9-9.25 feels proportional to my body (and looks right on film)
boards also dont break as often
shorter length and wheelbase is the key, 33” long is too much
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #3399 on: May 25, 2023, 12:12:34 PM »
Ghost pop- can u truly lay the blame on equipment? Does it just mean u gotta get a stronger popping leg? Is it a board set up issue or more to do with feet setup??

eSK3

« Reply #3400 on: May 25, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »

Jordan 11. You’re welcome.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #3401 on: May 25, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »
Ghost pop- can u truly lay the blame on equipment? Does it just mean u gotta get a stronger popping leg? Is it a board set up issue or more to do with feet setup??

You can definitely blame the equipment up to a certain degree. I had a deck with a steeper and shorter nose than what I was used to so all my nollie tricks started to ghost pop.The extra millisecond it took for the nose to hit the ground before I needed to start flicking threw me off so much that I gave the board away after 2 sessions. I could have just took more time to adjust the way I skate instead of blaming the board but no one has time for that.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3402 on: May 25, 2023, 12:24:41 PM »

Yes, a setup too tall/steep for your preferences can definitely lead to ghost pop. Being better and having correct technique is most important but this is one of the things where setup can make an immediate difference

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3403 on: May 25, 2023, 12:56:20 PM »
Ya and to be honest is it really worth re-learning all your pop timing for a deck or setup? Probably not.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3404 on: May 25, 2023, 11:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jordan 11. You’re welcome.

That’s one clear inspiration for sure.
Guess it’s not a clear ripoff of any one shoe.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3405 on: May 26, 2023, 06:13:01 AM »

I ghost pop pretty frequently on indys or aces, whereas my pop/flick is super consistent on thunder/venture which give your board a longer effective wheelbase. That extra couple of degrees of pop angle on Indy/ace is just hard for me to adapt to

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3406 on: May 26, 2023, 06:37:51 AM »
as far as the equipment, i can do any of my tricks on any board, but the first try usually looks like ass / complete fail
we are only talking a few mm usually, at most 1 cm lol
i will say 14" to 15"wb is the hardest thing for me to adjust to
height and width usually is not a huge issue for me
ONTARIO CANADA

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3407 on: May 27, 2023, 07:32:33 AM »
So my feet were going a little numb with the little paper thin insoles in my reeboks. I slapped a vans ultracush overtop. My heels sit a bit higher but damn the ride is more comfy. Am I a lunatic or a genius?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3408 on: May 27, 2023, 08:11:49 AM »
So my feet were going a little numb with the little paper thin insoles in my reeboks. I slapped a vans ultracush overtop. My heels sit a bit higher but damn the ride is more comfy. Am I a lunatic or a genius?
You just reacted accordingly. Beware of ankle rolls though

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3409 on: May 27, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »

Personally I am less interested in the cushion aspect of the insole and more concerned with whether or not they work for the contours of my feet, so I regularly save the insoles from my favorite shoes and reuse them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3410 on: May 27, 2023, 10:29:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Personally I am less interested in the cushion aspect of the insole and more concerned with whether or not they work for the contours of my feet, so I regularly save the insoles from my favorite shoes and reuse them.

Yeah, same. These are almost three years old and super molded at this point. I hated ultracush at first, but it really is about breaking it in and putting it in the right shoe

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #3411 on: May 27, 2023, 01:16:16 PM »

Absolutely on equipment to a degree! Your "muscle memory" or timing on deck/truck/wheel combo that you've gotten comfortable with will not work as smoothly on a new set up where the equipment alters one or more of the components that negatively affects your comfort.

I set up a Zero recently and while I enjoyed the big pop it offered, the steeper kicks were difficult to adjust to since my legs are used to something mellower than it (nose & tail) and I have strong legs/calves. I play soccer & skate.

Even if I changed my technique, it still didn't feel as comfortable so I switched to a mellower Hockey (shape 2: not blunt) deck and the issues with manuals and ghost pop on nollie/switch disappeared from the Zero before it.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3412 on: May 27, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks boardslides/lipslides take some of the pop away from new decks? It’s in my head now so I purposely avoid anything between the trucks till it’s a few weeks old.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3413 on: May 27, 2023, 10:01:21 PM »

used to, but after new software and security mobile updates it got way better..

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3414 on: May 28, 2023, 04:28:36 PM »
How do the Girl go27 and go52 shapes compare to the Primitive/April 8.25 shape? Really liking the April that I am currently on, but thinking about trying out Girl while they are on sale.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3415 on: May 29, 2023, 07:09:12 AM »
When the fuck did we go from getting 10 eggo waffles in a pack to 6?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #3416 on: May 29, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »

Shrinkflation. Thanks capitalism

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3417 on: May 29, 2023, 07:15:42 AM »
its still 8 for me... its always been 8 as far as i know (canada though)
ONTARIO CANADA

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3418 on: May 29, 2023, 09:32:48 AM »
How do the Girl go27 and go52 shapes compare to the Primitive/April 8.25 shape? Really liking the April that I am currently on, but thinking about trying out Girl while they are on sale.

The G052 has an oddly long feeling tail, like someone took a longer shape and just moved the truck 1/4" forward. The boards are definitely flatter, have more flat space after the bolts, then steeper kicks.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3419 on: May 29, 2023, 11:16:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
its still 8 for me... its always been 8 as far as i know (canada though)
I’d laugh because I used to get two more than you, but then I’d have to cry because now I get two less