Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202076 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3420 on: May 30, 2023, 07:12:48 AM »
how far in should i put the rails on a 8.75" board?
ONTARIO CANADA

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #3421 on: May 30, 2023, 07:33:56 AM »
Ghost pop- can u truly lay the blame on equipment? Does it just mean u gotta get a stronger popping leg? Is it a board set up issue or more to do with feet setup??

I mean I feel like you could get used to anything within reason, but I know certain changes I've tried made the first couple sessions very ghost-pop heavy. I tried some very large Conical Fulls like the cool kids recently and it felt like I was ollieing on a cruiser board.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3422 on: May 30, 2023, 08:36:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Ghost pop- can u truly lay the blame on equipment? Does it just mean u gotta get a stronger popping leg? Is it a board set up issue or more to do with feet setup??
[close]

I mean I feel like you could get used to anything within reason, but I know certain changes I've tried made the first couple sessions very ghost-pop heavy. I tried some very large Conical Fulls like the cool kids recently and it felt like I was ollieing on a cruiser board.
Steep kicks, high trucks, big wheels, long whelbase and i am in the ghost pop world. I need at least 2 of these components to be on the opposite side of the spectrum so i can hit the ground.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #3423 on: May 30, 2023, 01:44:29 PM »
Maybe already in another thread, but do any other companies do the Dwindle mellow concave/steep kicks shape? Is it a stock DSM mold or is it bespoke to Enjoi/Blind/etc?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3424 on: May 30, 2023, 05:26:19 PM »

The average is about a finger width in from the edge, but it all depends on what you want and the rails themselves.

If you want only rail contact, usually place them on the board and check to see if the middle sticks up (board graphic up) as it will depend on the rails, as some are taller, some more low profile.

If you want super tech slide up into smith / feeble / hurricane or any combos, usually in a bit more, up to two fingers in from the edge - some people even ran them three fingers in from the edge back in the day, but that was on wider boards and it felt really extreme to stand on it like that.

If you would rather they are there to balance you out fully, then people put them almost on the edge of the board, but that is often more for grab tricks, which I don't think you would be needing.

I think that is about it for rail placement, but others might have different takes too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3425 on: May 30, 2023, 05:32:12 PM »
You’re suppose to use wood screws that go all the way through your deck, then you hammer them off……the sharp ends help your board stick to your feet while doing slappies…..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3426 on: May 30, 2023, 06:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The average is about a finger width in from the edge, but it all depends on what you want and the rails themselves.

If you want only rail contact, usually place them on the board and check to see if the middle sticks up (board graphic up) as it will depend on the rails, as some are taller, some more low profile.

If you want super tech slide up into smith / feeble / hurricane or any combos, usually in a bit more, up to two fingers in from the edge - some people even ran them three fingers in from the edge back in the day, but that was on wider boards and it felt really extreme to stand on it like that.

If you would rather they are there to balance you out fully, then people put them almost on the edge of the board, but that is often more for grab tricks, which I don't think you would be needing.

I think that is about it for rail placement, but others might have different takes too.

i want the best feeble experience possible
its gonna be on an anti hero blue meanie
i am gonna probably change out these gigantic 58mm natas OJ wheels for smaller x formula or something...
ONTARIO CANADA

flamincheney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3427 on: May 30, 2023, 06:56:00 PM »
Anyone know if the Metal Fed Gall 8.5 swamp thing is the same shape at the Brian Anderson guest 8.5 (specs on most sites have the same dimensions)?  Loved the BA shape and would like to get another the same shape.

Or does Habitat run a board in this shape?

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3428 on: May 30, 2023, 10:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote
How do the Girl go27 and go52 shapes compare to the Primitive/April 8.25 shape? Really liking the April that I am currently on, but thinking about trying out Girl while they are on sale.
[close]

The G052 has an oddly long feeling tail, like someone took a longer shape and just moved the truck 1/4" forward. The boards are definitely flatter, have more flat space after the bolts, then steeper kicks.

I have a very loose theory that all of these shapes have Prods finger prints on them. I did hear somewhere that the April 8.25 was originally a primitive shape. Anyhow, part B of my theory is that these long tail shapes were made for skating with Venture His. Ive probably skated 10-13 of these decks with every truck except for indy stds. Thunders were way too low, aces felt ok but kind of dead, but Ventures felt perfect. Really negates that heavy ghost pop feeling.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:49:28 PM by Fooj »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3429 on: May 31, 2023, 12:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do the Girl go27 and go52 shapes compare to the Primitive/April 8.25 shape? Really liking the April that I am currently on, but thinking about trying out Girl while they are on sale.
[close]

The G052 has an oddly long feeling tail, like someone took a longer shape and just moved the truck 1/4" forward. The boards are definitely flatter, have more flat space after the bolts, then steeper kicks.
[close]

I have a very loose theory that all of these shapes have Prods finger prints on them. I did hear somewhere that the April 8.25 was originally a primitive shape. Anyhow, part B of my theory is that these long tail shapes were made for skating with Venture His. Ive probably skated 10-13 of these decks with every truck except for indy stds. Thunders were way too low, aces felt ok but kind of dead, but Ventures felt perfect. Really negates that heavy ghost pop feeling.

I think that theory could be true. Tried that G052 with my Indys and it felt a bit weird to me. Gave it to my homie with Ventures and he loved that deck and the pop felt better for the few tricks I tried.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3430 on: May 31, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i am gonna probably change out these gigantic 58mm natas OJ wheels for smaller x formula or something...

Finger width max, but you could run them a bit closer to the edge and have good results, maybe about 1 cm from the edge of the board.

I remembered I had bought a few boards second hand a while ago including a Blue Meanie with rails on it that works well for feeble and smith grinds, bottom pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMzwg40FMK7/

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3431 on: May 31, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Finger width max, but you could run them a bit closer to the edge and have good results, maybe about 1 cm from the edge of the board.

I remembered I had bought a few boards second hand a while ago including a Blue Meanie with rails on it that works well for feeble and smith grinds, bottom pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMzwg40FMK7/

that looks sick with the blue rails, wow!
ONTARIO CANADA

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3432 on: May 31, 2023, 06:20:38 PM »
The “Has anyone tried these” shoes thread seems pretty dead these days so; has anyone skated Hours? Also wondering if anyone’s tried the new low top Vans x Quasi thing, forget what it’s called.

Hell, while I’m at it, has anyone skated one of the new DLX True fit boards?

Fat Tony

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3433 on: June 01, 2023, 05:27:57 AM »
I just set up a new deck with the same trucks and wheels I was using on my last one and it is uneven; one wheel is off the ground until I stand on it. Last deck was an FA, this one a hockey, same size and shape. I also used new hardware and new riser pads, but doubt that would make a difference.

I’ve swapped the top bushings between them, a kingpin was a little loose so tightened that up, I’ve made sure the trucks are even tightness. The bushings seem fine and don’t have any tears, they are also the same as before. I guess it’s possible the board is warped, but not sure what the problem or fix is. It probably doesn’t matter since all wheels touch when standing on it, but it drives me nuts and is a bit in my head thinking about how it’s uneven and shouldn’t be. Any ideas?

TL:DR - wheel is off the ground, need help

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3434 on: June 01, 2023, 05:28:38 AM »
Has anyone ever had inexplicable shit on a setup that defied all madness? Like you put wheels on shitty old bearings and on one specific setup they fly, but everywhere else they don’t?

For whatever reason I can go 30mph without batting an eye on my OJ IIIs … but only with specific no-name bearings on my Welcome board and Indy trucks. Anything else and they just don’t fly like that.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3435 on: June 01, 2023, 08:09:55 AM »
I just set up a new deck with the same trucks and wheels I was using on my last one and it is uneven; one wheel is off the ground until I stand on it. Last deck was an FA, this one a hockey, same size and shape. I also used new hardware and new riser pads, but doubt that would make a difference.

I’ve swapped the top bushings between them, a kingpin was a little loose so tightened that up, I’ve made sure the trucks are even tightness. The bushings seem fine and don’t have any tears, they are also the same as before. I guess it’s possible the board is warped, but not sure what the problem or fix is. It probably doesn’t matter since all wheels touch when standing on it, but it drives me nuts and is a bit in my head thinking about how it’s uneven and shouldn’t be. Any ideas?

The deck is warped, most likely from being stored in a moist or humid place.  If you look down the length of the bottom of the board with the wheels facing up, youll see the pockets of the kick furthest away from you doesnt line up with the kick closest to you.

You can try to ask the shop for an exchange but it doesnt always work, youll most likely forget about it once its used a bit, but its annoying for sure

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3436 on: June 01, 2023, 11:17:36 AM »
The “Has anyone tried these” shoes thread seems pretty dead these days so; has anyone skated Hours? Also wondering if anyone’s tried the new low top Vans x Quasi thing, forget what it’s called.

Hell, while I’m at it, has anyone skated one of the new DLX True fit boards?
I wanna know about Hours too. The G-Code remakes look super good, but I've been burnt before trying to break out of the Vans cage.

Cesspool86

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3437 on: June 01, 2023, 04:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Steep kicks, high trucks, big wheels, long whelbase and i am in the ghost pop world. I need at least 2 of these components to be on the opposite side of the spectrum so i can hit the ground.

I with you on that.  Especially the first three.  I want my tail to hit as fast as possible

Fat Tony

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3438 on: June 01, 2023, 08:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The deck is warped, most likely from being stored in a moist or humid place.  If you look down the length of the bottom of the board with the wheels facing up, youll see the pockets of the kick furthest away from you doesnt line up with the kick closest to you.

You can try to ask the shop for an exchange but it doesnt always work, youll most likely forget about it once its used a bit, but its annoying for sure

Thanks for the response. I looked at it today and the wheels make like an “X”, so sounds like it’s warped. Compared it to the last deck and it looked fine. Unfortunately some of my new ones still in plastic also look like they could be warped, so the issue isn’t with my storage inside. Came right from the manufacturer, so I may reach out to them. Not sure it really affects anything though, but my brain wants to think it does.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #3439 on: June 02, 2023, 09:36:45 AM »
Just curious; does anyone else use shoe trees to help break in their shoes?

I got a pair of Adidas Samba ADVs and they definitely needed breaking in as they hurt my feet. I put beech shoe tress in them for a day or two and now they feel broken in, fit better, and more comfortable. I've done this with the Vans Lizzie before, but I think the effects were less pronounced since vulcs feel mostly broken in already.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #3440 on: June 02, 2023, 11:41:51 AM »

i don't but i should now that you mention it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3441 on: June 02, 2023, 05:20:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same thing as shoe stretchers?

I had used some to stretch out shoes for a long time, even making custom attachments to make sure the big toe stretched a bit more to the side, which worked a treat for the most part.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHoX6hvlh8j/

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #3442 on: June 02, 2023, 08:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same thing as shoe stretchers?

I had used some to stretch out shoes for a long time, even making custom attachments to make sure the big toe stretched a bit more to the side, which worked a treat for the most part.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHoX6hvlh8j/

yep exactly what i had in mind. and definitely worth opting for one with that kind of stretch control like you have, especially now when shoes might vary just enough to cause discomfort

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3443 on: June 02, 2023, 08:57:35 PM »
I have and they get the stretch around 60% of the way, you're going to need to walk around in them get another 20% and skate them the last 20%.

Used them on dress shoes and skate shoes, helpful if the shoes are 1/2 size too small.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3444 on: June 03, 2023, 05:10:24 PM »
Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 

I have Riptides in there now which have completely blown apart in like a month of skating.  Not trying to go down that road again.  I wish I kept the original Venture pivot cups from this set but they seem to have disappeared… I was looking at options and it seems like Indy and Ace sell replacement pivot cups but not many other brands.  Thanks!

Scottboarding

• Rep: 76
« Reply #3445 on: June 03, 2023, 05:38:06 PM »
Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 

I have Riptides in there now which have completely blown apart in like a month of skating.  Not trying to go down that road again.  I wish I kept the original Venture pivot cups from this set but they seem to have disappeared… I was looking at options and it seems like Indy and Ace sell replacement pivot cups but not many other brands.  Thanks!
Deluxe makes replacement pivot cups. I got a set that worked perfectly in my Thunders but can't speak how well they would fit in Ventures. Doesn't look like the big online stores carry it (SkateWarehouse, Tactics, etc) but my local has them: https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/bushings/deluxe/super-cush-pivot-cup-pid-13607

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3446 on: June 03, 2023, 06:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Deluxe makes replacement pivot cups. I got a set that worked perfectly in my Thunders but can't speak how well they would fit in Ventures. Doesn't look like the big online stores carry it (SkateWarehouse, Tactics, etc) but my local has them: https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/bushings/deluxe/super-cush-pivot-cup-pid-13607

Yeah they look like they are the ones I get and they work well in Indy, Thunder and Venture.

They come as is, no marketing, pack or anything and I get a few at a time when I see them here in AU.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #3447 on: June 04, 2023, 06:41:33 AM »

I blew out the pivot cups in my old pair of ventures. I went down to the local and all they had were modus pivot cups. I got them and they surprisingly fit really well and I had no dramas with them at all. They lasted the remainder of the truck life. Paid 1$ each from memory

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3448 on: June 04, 2023, 06:53:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah they look like they are the ones I get and they work well in Indy, Thunder and Venture.

They come as is, no marketing, pack or anything and I get a few at a time when I see them here in AU.

Do you think Ace is a bad idea, a lot of people rave about them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3449 on: June 04, 2023, 04:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Do you think Ace is a bad idea, a lot of people rave about them.

I don't really have any experience with fixing Ace trucks, besides grinding down the kinpgin on one set, the other sets I have are still fine, nothing needed in the fix department.

I do recall others saying the Ace pivot cups are a different size, but haven't even looked to be honest.  AF1 are smaller, but Classic might be pretty much the same generic size as everything else, but I just don't know.

The one set of aftermarket set of Ace pivot cups I have at the indoor park shop hasn't been touched since the day I put them in the cabinet, so I should go have a look at them.

Expand Quote
[close]

I blew out the pivot cups in my old pair of ventures. I went down to the local and all they had were modus pivot cups. I got them and they surprisingly fit really well and I had no dramas with them at all. They lasted the remainder of the truck life. Paid 1$ each from memory

Modus pivot cups are another good one - were they blue or black that you got?  We just don't really see them often here, even though they are an Aussie brand, but they were another one that seemed to have a bag of them so people could buy as many as they wanted from that.  Then next lot that came in were the same as the DLX ones, black this time not blue, so I guess anyone could be bringing them in and saying they were from brand X or whatever.

Here is an old stock image of some, from a shop based in the same state as where they come from:

https://www.starsurf.com.au/products/modus-pivot-cups-for-trucks