Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216667 times)

michael and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3540 on: June 20, 2023, 03:40:31 AM »
I picked up some of the Tom Knox Forged Hollow Indys on sale. They’ve got white bushings and white pivot cup.
They’re the quietest Indys I’ve ever owned. Usually they’re squeaky and creaky. These are silent and buttery.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the non-black pivot cups and/or the non-orange bushings that sometimes come stock with Indys? Do the black stock bushings and red pivot cups feel different too?

Always the chance that different colours affect the compounds of urethane for bushings, pivot cups, etc.

I wonder too if because they are brand new stock, there is less ageing of the urethane or build up of anything the way there often is on older trucks that get set up, which tend to squeak a whole lot more.

A very new set of Indys I got out of their individual bags and set up the other day surprised me because they were so very quiet, compared to almost every other older looking new set I have set up which had some squeaking in either pivot cup, bushings or both.

Curious how soft the bushings feel too, but it is harder to make any comparisons if you don't have other new trucks with stock orange bushings to check against.

Also the stock black pivot cups that come with the plain baseplate Indy seem way harder than the older ones that were in the cross baseplates, so that can make the trucks feel or sound different too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #3541 on: June 20, 2023, 02:48:52 PM »
I picked up some of the Tom Knox Forged Hollow Indys on sale. They’ve got white bushings and white pivot cup.
They’re the quietest Indys I’ve ever owned. Usually they’re squeaky and creaky. These are silent and buttery.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the non-black pivot cups and/or the non-orange bushings that sometimes come stock with Indys? Do the black stock bushings and red pivot cups feel different too?

I bought a set of these for a buddy and switched out the bushings and pivot cups to match his brand colors, so I kept the white stock bushings and gold hardware. Also kept the black stock bushings that came with my Reynolds mids. To me, the other stock colors are just like the new stock orange bushings, which is to say they’re great.

I’m currently using the black ones in a pair of Venture 5.6s (these really loosen up Ventures straight out the gate if you find the stock DLX bushings too firm, but I still think the Supercush 88s are my favorite in Ventures). I have the white set on my AF1 60 Lows, and I think I actually prefer them to the Ace bushings in those trucks.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #3542 on: June 20, 2023, 11:01:12 PM »
On this note, is there any lube that will reduce the pivot cup squeaking for more than a few sessions? Wax is ok, but I dont want to take my trucks apart every couple days, speed cream works for like 45 minutes, really hoping there is something out there.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3543 on: June 21, 2023, 12:40:25 AM »
On this note, is there any lube that will reduce the pivot cup squeaking for more than a few sessions? Wax is ok, but I dont want to take my trucks apart every couple days, speed cream works for like 45 minutes, really hoping there is something out there.
I would say olive oil because that shit works for everything. I don't have proof but also I don't have any doubts.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3544 on: June 21, 2023, 06:54:48 AM »

Never had Indys other than the standard orange bushing ones, but I've had a similar experience with Thunders. Previously had team hollows with white bushings that I loved, and now have regular Team ones with clear blue bushings that I couldn't get to turn how I like them. I bought some white "factory stock" thunder bushing kit and it's night and day. The white bushings feel way better imo.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3545 on: June 21, 2023, 10:43:33 PM »
I know this is a long shot but maybe I'll get lucky.
Anybody tried Nomads 85a?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3546 on: June 22, 2023, 12:15:33 AM »

You gotta go dry.
Soap flakes do the trick for me. The guys I sesh with on the mini ramp often ask how my shit is so quiet.
If you have bar soap, you could probably grate a little.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VwqDxB0/IMG-1958.jpg[/img

Just fill em up good, and when you put the hanger back on any surplus will come out as you tighten stuff down.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3547 on: June 22, 2023, 05:19:14 AM »

I first thought you might have meant the OJ Nomads in 95 duro (which I have and they are ok but not great) but then when I looked up Nomads 85a some pink cruiser wheels came up from Malaysia or Thailand or similar, to which I would say No I have never heard of them before, but they seem like they would be an ok wheel for that sort of thing.

Was this what you were meaning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284079360797

https://www.shopofskatan.com/products/nomad-55mm-85a-pink-cruiser-skateboard-wheels

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3548 on: June 22, 2023, 05:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I first thought you might have meant the OJ Nomads in 95 duro (which I have and they are ok but not great) but then when I looked up Nomads 85a some pink cruiser wheels came up from Malaysia or Thailand or similar, to which I would say No I have never heard of them before, but they seem like they would be an ok wheel for that sort of thing.

Was this what you were meaning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284079360797

https://www.shopofskatan.com/products/nomad-55mm-85a-pink-cruiser-skateboard-wheels
Yup, those are the ones. Idk why I have the impression that Nomad is from Spain buy yeah, cruiser wheels for my gf. They should do the trick.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3549 on: June 22, 2023, 05:41:20 AM »
Im a 11 in last resorts, what size am i in nike sb??

last resort and nike site says their size 11 is 29cm, but its common knowledge to go half size down for last resorts.. am I a 11,5 in nike sb?

manysnakes

« Reply #3550 on: June 22, 2023, 02:18:02 PM »

A very light coating of any kind of actual petroleum based grease (lithium, marine grade, whatever) usually does it for me. In theory these do degrade plastics, but in my experience this sort of damage happens at a time scale which is irrelevant to skateboard gear.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3551 on: June 22, 2023, 04:36:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A very light coating of any kind of actual petroleum based grease (lithium, marine grade, whatever) usually does it for me. In theory these do degrade plastics, but in my experience this sort of damage happens at a time scale which is irrelevant to skateboard gear.

I actually use super tech penetrating lubricant on my pivot cups and squeaky bushings. Hell, it works good for blasting bearings between cleanings, though with bearings I typically take them off blast em, soak em in degreaser, dry and then relive with speed cream.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3552 on: June 22, 2023, 04:39:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3553 on: June 22, 2023, 04:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I swear by super tech penetrating lubricant. I blast cups, bushings, and bearings alike.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3554 on: June 23, 2023, 03:13:27 PM »
Anyone know where I can get blanks that has the full/shovel nose shape?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3555 on: June 23, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »
Anyone know where I can get blanks that has the full/shovel nose shape?

I think the main woodshops only do those shapes for specific brands, so you would be best to look to the more independent / smaller / DIY options for woodshops that make custom shapes and all that.

The only issue there is you are going to be paying significantly more for each deck, so that could end up working out cheaper to find a brand that does them and then look for them on sale and "blank" them after purchase.

The Doom Sayers shovel boards all were on good sales and in clearance bins that I saw, with minimal graphics that would easily come off, but that ship might have already sailed.

Someone else might have seen or know more though, but what width or overall size, measurements or whatever would work for you?

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3556 on: June 24, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »
What bones formula is closest to F4’s? 

Any opinions appreciated!

Banned from the room

« Reply #3557 on: June 25, 2023, 09:23:38 AM »

I've been giving old bloards to my homeless homies.

This one guy who's a frickin mad man said my grip art was giving him a bad mental state so he removed it and asked if I had a sheet.

I do not. He has soft ass wheels that bounce and I'm worried he's going to die with just paint on the top.

Fuckin insane hill he bombs every morning too.

I feel like I'm contributing to gis downfall...

Can someone send me a sheet for this guy?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:27:43 AM by Uncle Flea »

manysnakes

« Reply #3558 on: June 25, 2023, 11:01:01 AM »

Bones STF. IMO it hardly compares to the F4, but that's definitely the closest thing they have.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3559 on: June 25, 2023, 12:19:25 PM »

I know this question is from like a week ago, but I just put a really thin film of basic automotive grease on the pin, then wipe off any excess that squeezes out after the first session. It's been months now and no squeaks. I don't put anything on the bushings, they stop squeaking after a few sessions anyway. I've done this on a set of Ace AF1's and two sets of Indy's, they're all quiet and feel great.

The grease is fine on automotive rubber like balljoint boots and suspension bushings, so no reason it shouldn't be fine on plastic pivot cups.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3560 on: June 25, 2023, 02:25:09 PM »

Not stf, but the new x formula 99a might be close

mstuntbless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3561 on: June 25, 2023, 08:51:11 PM »
Hey y’all. I have 149 indy standards. I want my ride a little lower. Has anyone ever taken a FH baseplate and put standard axels on it? In my mind that would make it a little lower without having to mess around with IKP from Indy mids

Samsquantch

« Reply #3562 on: June 25, 2023, 09:01:24 PM »
Hey y’all. I have 149 indy standards. I want my ride a little lower. Has anyone ever taken a FH baseplate and put standard axels on it? In my mind that would make it a little lower without having to mess around with IKP from Indy mids

That would work fine, the hangers (axles) are the same shape between standards and forged hollow. You'd go from 55mm to 53.5mm. I don't think you can just buy the forged hollow baseplates though?

mstuntbless

« Reply #3563 on: June 25, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »
Ok that’s good to know! Yea you can’t buy just the baseplates which is lame but I figured I could just get a set of FH and harvest the plates from them. Thanks dude!

Samsquantch

« Reply #3564 on: June 25, 2023, 09:08:09 PM »
Ok that’s good to know! Yea you can’t buy just the baseplates which is lame but I figured I could just get a set of FH and harvest the plates from them. Thanks dude!

Why not just use the whole truck? Why put an identical shape, but heavier hanger on the forged hollow baseplate?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -420
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3565 on: June 26, 2023, 12:13:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why not just use the whole truck? Why put an identical shape, but heavier hanger on the forged hollow baseplate?

A lot of people like the weight of standards

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3566 on: June 26, 2023, 05:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think some people don't like the feel / sound of hollow hangers. And the slightly heavier standard Indy hangers have a nice amount of heft to them.
IG: @flowterspace

mstuntbless

« Reply #3567 on: June 26, 2023, 06:46:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think some people don't like the feel / sound of hollow hangers. And the slightly heavier standard Indy hangers have a nice amount of heft to them.

^^ exactly. I’m down for the change in height. I’m not really down for the change in weight. I like the pop feel of the standard hanger!

Samsquantch

« Reply #3568 on: June 26, 2023, 07:19:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

^^ exactly. I’m down for the change in height. I’m not really down for the change in weight. I like the pop feel of the standard hanger!

That makes sense.

Not from personal experience, but I've read on here that some people don't like the forged hollow baseplates because they sound and feel "tinny". So there's that too...

SupremePizza

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3569 on: June 26, 2023, 10:10:02 AM »
Do quantum atoms or ceramic bearings in general require more frequent maintenance than say bones reds or Bronson g3? I've had these quantums on since end of April with maybe like 12-14 sessions and 3 of my wheels do not spin as long as one of them. Other than a few sessions in SF, La, and Eugene, most of my skating is done in my neighborhood skatepark and I'm pretty sure I haven't been skating through much dust or puddles. Just seems like a short time to start getting slow as my reds and Bronson's didn't need to be cleaned for almost a year.