Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216601 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3780 on: August 13, 2023, 07:47:39 AM »
anyone try hopps boards? do they have good shapes?
i like gx board shapes fyi

Hoops uses the BBS generic shapes but did do a Clutch run during Covid. These shapes are really the most in between popsicles out- not pointy, not square, kicks are medium steepness and medium lengths. If you skate 8.38 and up the WB will be longer than a GX.

Mystical Leader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #3781 on: August 14, 2023, 05:35:10 AM »
I want to try black wheels. Probably some spitfires F4's.

I've only had the classic white colorways so I'm pondering if it will affect my skating from a visual standpoint? Have you pals ever got bored with colored wheels? I run my shit to the ground so I don't want to skate something that maybe I don't like. Yet it still intrigues me to try..

Is there a consensus how black wheels are viewed in our scene? 

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #3782 on: August 14, 2023, 06:30:11 AM »

I've only had the classic white colorways so I'm pondering if it will affect my skating from a visual standpoint? Have you pals ever got bored with colored wheels? I run my shit to the ground so I don't want to skate something that maybe I don't like. Yet it still intrigues me to try..

I think black wheels are kinda having a moment right now. #emowheels. Or at least the kids at my local seem to like them. Personally, I prefer the clean look of classic white wheels with graphics inward. All wheels are gonna be pretty gnarly looking after you've skated them for a few months, especially if you're skating street. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3783 on: August 14, 2023, 07:32:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
alright, it's gettin time to buy some new trucks. I've never been one for truck madness, but I'm starting to want to try something else out there. I'm going to omit what brand and version I have ridden for the past 4 years in an effort to be "transparent".

I am an averagely-ok skateboarder who tries to skate a bit of everything, but more or less skates slappies, ledges, wallies, and the occasional manual. My transition skills are actually terrible, but I am actively working on improving them. Not a big gap/stair/impact skater. I'd say I skate my trucks somewhere between tight and loose, probably more towards loose. Turning fast is fun but I also do appreciate stability. I skate an 8.5 with big-ish (56-58mm conical full) wheels, so I generally like my trucks to be lighter to offset the weight of everything else.

What kind of trucks match my riding style? I feel like thats enough info for the truck-heads to asses the situation.
[close]
I'd recommend V-Lights 5.8
[close]
id say 6.1 v-hollows

Let's be honest. Any Venture will do.

Get down with the get down. Awake!!!!

Banned from the room

« Reply #3784 on: August 14, 2023, 07:46:28 AM »
I need help finding an old PSA TV commercial about HIV.

I can't remember how it starts but it's filmed from the pov of someone who goes up the fire escape and into the bed room of a young person who is depicted of having the virus and definitely didn't want this person in their room.

The hook from song BOOM BOOM by Vengaboys plays in the background and I think it winds down like the tape is getting eaten after just one bar.

The kid in the bed gets up real fast looking like they are scared of who ever just popped into their room with a camera.

It's a very confusing commercial.

It's like Steve Irwin climbed the fire escape with a boom box and a camera and is trying to subdue the person who was just laying in bed in their underwear.

I believe it's been intentionally scrubbed from the web. Probably the band didn't give permission for the song to be used as it doesn't appear on their Wikipedia.

I just wanna see it. It gave me nightmares and shit. I wanna see it once more

Plz help me find.

KidCarl

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3785 on: August 14, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so, I feel really stupid even asking this, but with Spitifire's lock in shape, it means you can't rotate your wheels to get more life out of them right? Or just a different riding experience?
[close]

you're not gonna cone F4's. you can move them front to back, right side, left side, ect, ect... and that will even out any wheel size differences, there's no need to flip F4's inside out.
[close]

It comes down to how someone skates.

I just got a set of F4 back from someone who had never rotated them, so the starting 56 mm, now 55 (front heel) 54 and solidly coned (front toe) 52 (back heel) and 51 slightly coned (back toe) I was just wondering what the person was doing for however long they had them to wear like that, but most people who do rotate wheels never have those sort of end results.

Front toe and back toe to some degree wear more on the outside edge, front heel not much at all, back heel wears more on the inside edge, so as said, rotating them in various ways usually keeps any issues from coming up too much, more so front toe to back heel, back toe to front heel, then to back heel if needed.

Any asymmetrical shaped wheel can have issues though, especially if you don't want to ever flip them over and skate them inwards, but I haven't seen the new ones to see if they are center set or offset in the bearing seat.  If they are center set, then it is not such a big deal to flip them over, but if offset, then you are going to have some very different experiences skating them graphics out or graphics in.

Expand Quote
I'm lost when it comes to wheel shapes, but my question is with something like a conical, can you skate them flipped? I've always skated classics mainly, to the best of my memory, and have always put the graphics inward, just as a habit probably from watching pros do it. Can I still do that with a shaped wheel or does that defeat the purpose? Thanks pals
[close]

Almost every other shape on the market is symmetrical, so it doesn't matter if you ride them graphics in or out and a lot of people flip them with odd wear patterns too, so some will be in and some out on the same board.  A "cool way" to do it for a lot of people was three in and one out, not that I have ever been into the cool way to do things, but I think they always had the back heel out so they wouldn't have to look at the graphic but still showed what wheel they were on, or something like that.

For those that remove graphics, it makes it easier to ride them any which way you like, but more often than not, graphics in was the more simple and clean look from the 90s right through to the present.
Sweet, I was thinking it would mess with the lock in qualities. I know what you mean, doesn't Jake Hayes ride three white with colored up front? My brain can't even comprehend it.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #3786 on: August 14, 2023, 09:36:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think black wheels are kinda having a moment right now. #emowheels. Or at least the kids at my local seem to like them. Personally, I prefer the clean look of classic white wheels with graphics inward. All wheels are gonna be pretty gnarly looking after you've skated them for a few months, especially if you're skating street. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Yeah they can be a bit moody. Like a teenager who hates their parents and loves fa/hockey. Also I’m like over thirty so I might feel a little silly indulging with youth trends. How insecure ahaha.. To be fair I’m a little bit moody so why not tho..

But at the same time car wheels are black why aren’t they white? I don’t even know how this counts in? I mean ride a hot rod type of setup so I suppose..

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #3787 on: August 14, 2023, 09:43:10 AM »

I've been skating pink wheels for well over a year now, and I've been really enjoying them. I actually want to try to get some black wheels after these too. I find that the colored wheels don't really affect my skating, but they are very apparent in clips I film. It makes me more stoked on my clips but that's just me I guess.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3788 on: August 14, 2023, 10:55:13 AM »

Have you seen that Venture parody shirt that says "ASLEEP" ?  ;D i laughed when i saw that

Do any of you guys rotate your trucks after switching deck? I started doing this to make my trucks last longer, i don't know if i recommend it though. if you are mostly just doing slappys its fine.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3789 on: August 14, 2023, 11:20:32 AM »

Always down for colored wheels. When I was a kid I'd only buy colored wheels, brand didn't matter. Currently on a set of pink Spitfire classics and will try dying my next set of wheels if Spitfire doesn't come out with a colored radial

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3790 on: August 14, 2023, 04:50:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah they can be a bit moody. Like a teenager who hates their parents and loves fa/hockey. Also I’m like over thirty so I might feel a little silly indulging with youth trends. How insecure ahaha.. To be fair I’m a little bit moody so why not tho..

But at the same time car wheels are black why aren’t they white? I don’t even know how this counts in? I mean ride a hot rod type of setup so I suppose..

I've been skating pink wheels for well over a year now, and I've been really enjoying them. I actually want to try to get some black wheels after these too. I find that the colored wheels don't really affect my skating, but they are very apparent in clips I film. It makes me more stoked on my clips but that's just me I guess.

If it comes down to how much OCD you might get with things that match or don't match, it could go a bit weird, otherwise having a bit of colour / flair in the wheel department is a good way to make things a little more interesting.

Sure I tend to get a bit more here and there, removing all graphics from wheels, deck or whatever, but other times having a board or two with coloured wheels can be more fun than not.  I have the teal wheels on a board right now, but I also had black wheels too, as well as two black and two orange from back in the day that I still have.  They were fun!

Thankfully having the same urethane compounds now with different dyes doesn't affect the product like it used to once upon a time, but I do think there are more coloured wheels coming out soon too, including more black wheels, so someone might be in luck.

Sweet, I was thinking it would mess with the lock in qualities. I know what you mean, doesn't Jake Hayes ride three white with colored up front? My brain can't even comprehend it.

As to the one coloured wheel thing, I know some brands did sell the one, Spitfire Lance Mountain, Grosso and others, with quite a few people playing mix and match as well, getting one set of coloured wheels and adding them in to three sets of plain wheels to give it a little more flair.

Again personal opinion and making it just that little bit more fun, or maybe running the one coloured wheel in a certain position on the board, eg always back heel or front heel or something, but I don't think those guys really cared about having to rotate wheels due to wear - they put them on and when they had enough, just swap them out, but for any other normal person, not a pro with a carton of spare wheels, it could get a bit more tricky.

Still wouldn't hurt to always do something a little different and have a bit of fun with it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3791 on: August 14, 2023, 11:22:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you seen that Venture parody shirt that says "ASLEEP" ?  ;D i laughed when i saw that

Do any of you guys rotate your trucks after switching deck? I started doing this to make my trucks last longer, i don't know if i recommend it though. if you are mostly just doing slappys its fine.
When I'm doing it is when my back truck is showing some axle but sure makes more sense to rotate them in between decks, never thought about it 😅
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #3792 on: August 14, 2023, 11:46:43 PM »
Most of my grinds are slappys, but yea i don't care which truck is front and which one is back. Only thing that's different about them is that i don't really have switch front crooks groove but i'm working on it.

manysnakes

« Reply #3793 on: August 16, 2023, 08:53:56 AM »
My beloved stash of Primitive decks is dwindling, so I'm checking out the options on their website and am wondering if anyone ever figured out whether or not the "Dirty P Core" decks were the same as the Pro decks. I assume not because they're so much cheaper than even the "Team" decks, but who knows.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3794 on: August 16, 2023, 10:52:35 AM »
My beloved stash of Primitive decks is dwindling, so I'm checking out the options on their website and am wondering if anyone ever figured out whether or not the "Dirty P Core" decks were the same as the Pro decks. I assume not because they're so much cheaper than even the "Team" decks, but who knows.

I had this one and I really enjoyed even if it was a dipped one
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

manysnakes

« Reply #3795 on: August 16, 2023, 11:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had this one and I really enjoyed even if it was a dipped one

Thanks. The price is right, maybe I'll take the plunge. My sense is to wait until Labor Day weekend and see if Primitive does another super sale.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3796 on: August 17, 2023, 04:04:58 AM »
Anybody knows the deal with those Lakai with a thunder looking like Flare?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #3797 on: August 17, 2023, 06:40:04 AM »

my friend that works there said that the only boards that are not done by BBS are the collab boards because sometimes the other party will have the final say over where the board is manufactured (from what i understand the other company decides the margin is not good enough on the BBS boards and thats why they end up going to some other cheaper shop for those because most of thme dont end up getting skated anyway)

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3798 on: August 17, 2023, 12:51:59 PM »
So the decks that come with wheel wells (ie Polar) are useless if you skate Indys, right? My wheel bite marks are much lower on my board than the Polar wheel wells appear to be from looking at pics online.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3799 on: August 17, 2023, 01:51:20 PM »
I rode a Polar 8" with Independent Titanium 139 and 52mm SF Classic Fulls, the wheel wheels worked for me.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3800 on: August 17, 2023, 02:03:10 PM »

They are reflective flare logos. When light hits them they light up. Probably why they made them a lightning Flare.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #3801 on: August 17, 2023, 02:11:22 PM »
All wheels will cone eventually if you skate them long enough or hard enough. 100% of wheels I've owned and skated have coned in some amount. Including F4 (skated 3-4 sets over the last few years)

This is my experience too. I’ve skated classics, conical fulls, and radials. F4 definitely cone the least, but any wheel will start to cone at some point, so you flip them to graphics out to even em back out. By that point the graphics are pretty much gone and they kinda look cool with the little ring of remaining graphic.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3802 on: August 17, 2023, 03:49:41 PM »
Wheels naturally cone since the outer portion is going to have more pressure on it during turns and slides and will wear away faster.

KidCarl

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3803 on: August 17, 2023, 06:46:30 PM »
I just retired my black/white dirty p, I'm pretty sure mine was made in china,  but I'm not going to peel the grip to see. However I had no complaints, I only switched out because of the razor tail

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3804 on: August 17, 2023, 06:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just retired my black/white dirty p, I'm pretty sure mine was made in china,  but I'm not going to peel the grip to see. However I had no complaints, I only switched out because of the razor tail

Primitive used to list their discount bloards on TheDrop, which you could get with their 20% off with their 1st time purchase code. But it looks like TheDrop is dead now.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

« Reply #3805 on: August 17, 2023, 07:23:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my friend that works there said that the only boards that are not done by BBS are the collab boards because sometimes the other party will have the final say over where the board is manufactured (from what i understand the other company decides the margin is not good enough on the BBS boards and thats why they end up going to some other cheaper shop for those because most of thme dont end up getting skated anyway)

That’s weird because every Primitive deck I’ve skated has been from China. 

manysnakes

« Reply #3806 on: August 17, 2023, 07:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I think the Chinese boards are great. I’ve been only skating pro models - all from China. The 8-8.125” is my favorite shape I’ve skated in years.

6ix9ine

« Reply #3807 on: August 17, 2023, 09:29:02 PM »
I don't have any acetone to clean my bearings, can i use vodka?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3808 on: August 17, 2023, 11:09:53 PM »
I don't have any acetone to clean my bearings, can i use vodka?

Go for it

Don't report back
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3809 on: August 17, 2023, 11:22:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are reflective flare logos. When light hits them they light up. Probably why they made them a lightning Flare.
Sounds fun and logic, thx for the answer
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.