Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216782 times)

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3840 on: August 26, 2023, 07:52:57 AM »
Color of bushings is 100% linked to durometer for Independent. Always. Stock or aftermarket bushings. 100% of my personal purchases have confirmed this and I've only skated Indys for the last 13 years.

Orange 90A is the standard default bushing for most of Indy's models, but they occasionally throw red (88A), white (78A), or black (94A) depending on the pro/theme of the truck.

Both of your linked trucks will not be 90A stock if they come in those colors, as far as I'm aware.

I've gotten white bushings stock on AVE trucks years ago and they were noticeably softer because they were truly 78A and not 90A.

If you want 90A durometer, buy a set of bushings on the side to be sure. Avoid the red ones, they try to be softer but end up being less forgiving, ironically. I like the conical aftermarket personally.

All stock Indy bushings are 90A regardless of color. They’re definitely a looser, bouncier 90A now since the move to China, but the aftermarket blacks and whites don’t feel the same as the stock bushings.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3841 on: August 26, 2023, 08:03:39 AM »
Color of bushings is 100% linked to durometer for Independent. Always. Stock or aftermarket bushings. 100% of my personal purchases have confirmed this and I've only skated Indys for the last 13 years.

Orange 90A is the standard default bushing for most of Indy's models, but they occasionally throw red (88A), white (78A), or black (94A) depending on the pro/theme of the truck.

Both of your linked trucks will not be 90A stock if they come in those colors, as far as I'm aware.

I've gotten white bushings stock on AVE trucks years ago and they were noticeably softer because they were truly 78A and not 90A.

If you want 90A durometer, buy a set of bushings on the side to be sure. Avoid the red ones, they try to be softer but end up being less forgiving, ironically. I like the conical aftermarket personally.

it's a better world when people share actual knowledge

intendedreceivers

« Reply #3842 on: August 26, 2023, 08:04:50 AM »
But only when it’s correct.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3843 on: August 26, 2023, 08:07:12 AM »

that's what i meant ;)
makes no sense to put 78A as stock bushings on brand new trucks

AVE trucks "kids edition" maybe  8)

Sidenote: Stage 4 Stock bushings are 90A but they are red
Weird thing about Stage 4 aftermarket bushings
90A/red called soft
92A/blue called medium
94A/black called hard
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 08:19:06 AM by BALARGUE »

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3844 on: August 27, 2023, 04:52:22 AM »
It’s a very specific wheel question but does anyone happen to know what durometer Matt Reason’s Physics 63mm wheels were? I’ve always been curious if anyone on here had any experience with them. As a side note clearly they were made well before any F4 or Dragon formulas existed but are there any current wheels out there that have much the same or similar feel?
I’ve wondered if they would have been rock hard 101a or a bit more forgiving 97/98/99a. To me it would make sense if they had been poured a little softer for him but I know you can get away with 101a on rougher surfaces in the larger sizes.
Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

o4hc

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3845 on: August 27, 2023, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi! Can anyone identify these trucks? Thanks!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3846 on: August 27, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »

I feel like that shape is closer to Tensor than anything else, but if it is your board, I would be taking a few more pics of different angles, maybe even taking the truck apart and checking the bottom of the baseplate too.

Almost all branded trucks usually have the name or at least something on the baseplate (be it top side or underneath), but they could very well be something else, eg basic unbranded truck from a complete or something.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3847 on: August 27, 2023, 09:20:43 PM »
It’s a very specific wheel question but does anyone happen to know what durometer Matt Reason’s Physics 63mm wheels were? I’ve always been curious if anyone on here had any experience with them. As a side note clearly they were made well before any F4 or Dragon formulas existed but are there any current wheels out there that have much the same or similar feel?
I’ve wondered if they would have been rock hard 101a or a bit more forgiving 97/98/99a. To me it would make sense if they had been poured a little softer for him but I know you can get away with 101a on rougher surfaces in the larger sizes.

This might be the best bet, either of these two guys, who are still active on the forums here:

@Gray Imp Sausage Metal

@Sativa Lung

I actually had those 63mm physics wheels believe it or not, they were pretty ridiculous though (although physics was a great company). I’m thinking Jerry Fisher/ Half Cab era Fred Gall; not quite on Matt’s level but somewhere in between. Probably 56mm fat wheels on a 8.25 board, nothing huge by today’s standards but they just looked so raw at the time 8)

Who in Okinawa are we taking about?

A few months ago I gave away a set of 58 or 60mm Physics and I've been regretting it ever since. I do have some vintage danny way plan b's that are probably 58ish? set up on a Kanfoush yinzer shape 8.55 deck (the black lance mountain graphic one) with Indy steve olson 149s. Super fun setup, those big old hard wheels just feel so at home on East Coast terrain when you're smashing down the street crushing rock salt and rodent bones and making a horrible racket. Fuck I might have to pull that thing out tomorrow.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3848 on: August 27, 2023, 11:13:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like that shape is closer to Tensor than anything else, but if it is your board, I would be taking a few more pics of different angles, maybe even taking the truck apart and checking the bottom of the baseplate too.

Almost all branded trucks usually have the name or at least something on the baseplate (be it top side or underneath), but they could very well be something else, eg basic unbranded truck from a complete or something.
They could be GK
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #3849 on: August 28, 2023, 03:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This might be the best bet, either of these two guys, who are still active on the forums here:

@Gray Imp Sausage Metal

@Sativa Lung

Expand Quote
I actually had those 63mm physics wheels believe it or not, they were pretty ridiculous though (although physics was a great company). I’m thinking Jerry Fisher/ Half Cab era Fred Gall; not quite on Matt’s level but somewhere in between. Probably 56mm fat wheels on a 8.25 board, nothing huge by today’s standards but they just looked so raw at the time 8)

[close]

Expand Quote

A few months ago I gave away a set of 58 or 60mm Physics and I've been regretting it ever since. I do have some vintage danny way plan b's that are probably 58ish? set up on a Kanfoush yinzer shape 8.55 deck (the black lance mountain graphic one) with Indy steve olson 149s. Super fun setup, those big old hard wheels just feel so at home on East Coast terrain when you're smashing down the street crushing rock salt and rodent bones and making a horrible racket. Fuck I might have to pull that thing out tomorrow.
[close]

Thank you for the reply Mbrimson88 and all the best!  :)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3850 on: August 28, 2023, 06:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@Gray Imp Sausage Metal

@Sativa Lung

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don’t recall the durometer of them but companies were hardly trying to be diverse with their options back then so I’m assuming around 99a maybe even 98a? It was hard to tell because I was already coming off regular 54mm wheels so everything just felt so different on them anyway. I also wasn’t a power slide guy back then but I vaguely remember them farting a lot more than whatever else I was riding. When loophole first dropped they reminded me a lot of physics. Didn’t Sergie say in interview that before physics they ride old dead stock Powell wheels because that was the only way they could find something bigger than 54mm?

Edit: On second thought, if you check the RIP matt reason thread, @GardenSkater77 is claiming 97a for his wheels because apparently “he never made a sound when skating”? Maybe he saw him
Skating when he was still on the NOS Powells?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 06:36:15 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3851 on: August 28, 2023, 06:25:06 AM »
Is there a containment thread for 8.5’s with 14” wheel base?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3852 on: August 28, 2023, 07:43:37 AM »
Is there a containment thread for 8.5’s with 14” wheel base?

yes its called WBSWB Movement (Wide board Short Wheelbase)
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.0

Not sure if what I am riding now is considered in that range but its 8.38" x 14.25" PS Stix and it feels pretty ideal to me. 8.5" or even 8.25" would be fine I probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

Primitive 8.38's are 14.125" and I really like that size as well, I have a couple in the wrapper still and just finished skating one.

I had Anti Hero 8.5" x 14" and I thought it was going to be the greatest board ever and I ended up liking these other 2 a lot more ^

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3853 on: August 28, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
anyone have info on gx1000 boards ? Concave and shape ? Best trucks to pair with them ? I’ve read a few comments on slap that venture lo works best but I’m curious about the concave a lot ……thanks again Slap

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #3854 on: August 28, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@Gray Imp Sausage Metal

@Sativa Lung

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
I don’t recall the durometer of them but companies were hardly trying to be diverse with their options back then so I’m assuming around 99a maybe even 98a? It was hard to tell because I was already coming off regular 54mm wheels so everything just felt so different on them anyway. I also wasn’t a power slide guy back then but I vaguely remember them farting a lot more than whatever else I was riding. When loophole first dropped they reminded me a lot of physics. Didn’t Sergie say in interview that before physics they ride old dead stock Powell wheels because that was the only way they could find something bigger than 54mm?

Edit: On second thought, if you check the RIP matt reason thread, @GardenSkater77 is claiming 97a for his wheels because apparently “he never made a sound when skating”? Maybe he saw him
Skating when he was still on the NOS Powells?

Really appreciate the reply and details of your experiences, cheers for that Gray Imp Sausage Metal! You've given me some good pointers there to look into too. I went and re-read the RIP Matt Reason thread and it does sound like the impression was that they were a slightly softer compound (it would make sense especially if those guys were also/had been used to using older Powells which I would assume would be around 95-97a?).

This has just been something that I've wondered about for a while as I love the whole aesthetic/skating style of that era. Something appeals to me about trying to find the same kind of wheels/equipment those skaters used just to get a feel of what their limitations/benefits were. I was originally looking at options like Slime Ball 97a's (haven't tried them myself yet) thinking they might give an similar (older/grippier but slightly forgiving) feel, but I would consider checking out some early Loopholes if I see any going for grabs.
Anyway, a big thanks again!

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3855 on: August 28, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »
Really appreciate the reply and details of your experiences, cheers for that Gray Imp Sausage Metal! You've given me some good pointers there to look into too. I went and re-read the RIP Matt Reason thread and it does sound like the impression was that they were a slightly softer compound (it would make sense especially if those guys were also/had been used to using older Powells which I would assume would be around 95-97a?).

This has just been something that I've wondered about for a while as I love the whole aesthetic/skating style of that era. Something appeals to me about trying to find the same kind of wheels/equipment those skaters used just to get a feel of what their limitations/benefits were. I was originally looking at options like Slime Ball 97a's (haven't tried them myself yet) thinking they might give an similar (older/grippier but slightly forgiving) feel, but I would consider checking out some early Loopholes if I see any going for grabs.
This ad isn't for Reason's 63mm wheel, but this one set of 57s does have a visible 98 on them.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/SasY1MzYCFI/AAAAAAAADjM/-1qFOKyjl_A/s1600-h/reasonphysics2chrome.jpg

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3856 on: August 28, 2023, 10:52:46 AM »
anyone have info on gx1000 boards ? Concave and shape ? Best trucks to pair with them ? I’ve read a few comments on slap that venture lo works best but I’m curious about the concave a lot ……thanks again Slap

They seem to have both square and popsicle shapes. I don't care for square kicks so I have only stood on the popsicles.

The kicks are fucking lonnnnnng. The nose on the 8.38 is like 7.18 and the tail is a bit under 7. A normal BBS in that size is 6.875 nose and 6.625 tail. So, the boards are also quite long definitely a full 32.25. They end up pointier than you think almost like a Baker. As for trucks I dunno why people would want Venture Lo on boards that large but since the vast majority of the team ride Venture High with massive wheels I would wager that could be a good combo to offset the long kicks (the larger wheels and extended WB of Venture High would make the tail hit at the same time as a normal tail/smaller wheels).

o4hc

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3857 on: August 28, 2023, 11:21:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! They're from a board for sale — I assumed from a complete but wanted to check.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3858 on: August 28, 2023, 03:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This ad isn't for Reason's 63mm wheel, but this one set of 57s does have a visible 98 on them.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/SasY1MzYCFI/AAAAAAAADjM/-1qFOKyjl_A/s1600-h/reasonphysics2chrome.jpg

boom! Great find, I would then assume the 63mm were also 98 which does make sense considering the skating he was doing and also the fact he was riding old Powell stick which was probably closer to 97 than 99. The power of slap!!!

Edit: @Nymphicus hollandicus also hit up sergie on insta, he’s always happy to talk about era-specific setups and what they rode!
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZwfVtHFXO_/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 07:37:08 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3859 on: August 28, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »
I have weird feet. Most shoes have a lot of pressure on top of my left big toe. Right where that bone of the toe is. Any ideas how I can fast forward the breaking in process or where I can buy new feet? Thanks in advance pals.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3860 on: August 28, 2023, 04:16:52 PM »
I have weird feet. Most shoes have a lot of pressure on top of my left big toe. Right where that bone of the toe is. Any ideas how I can fast forward the breaking in process or where I can buy new feet? Thanks in advance pals.

I bought some shoe stretchers, also called shoe tree or other thing, but what I did was then tape some folded up cardboard to the high pressure areas that would stretch a shoe out a bit more in the places I needed it.

They also came with extra plastic bumps to put in different areas on the things, but that just wasn't enough.

For me, this worked really well and I could put them in new shoes for a week or longer and then they would feel way more comfortable when I did wear them.

Some others would do a shoe microwave trick, or soak them in something and then put in the shoe stretchers or even just jam a bit of wood or something down into the toe to stretch it out more, so there are a few options.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #3861 on: August 28, 2023, 06:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that's what i meant ;)

90A/red called soft
92A/blue called medium
94A/black called hard

As far as my information goes, it's accurate. I could be wrong, though. The color matching durometer is straight from Indy, so i'm not making that part up.

The white bushings were in 149 standard AVEs and they were soft as shit, so they actually were 78A when I compared to my 90A oranges. It makes sense to put different durometer bushings on some trucks if it's a pro truck and that's the theme they go with. Practically speaking, 90A durometer being the best middle ground makes the most sense, however.

I've mostly only been skating Indy and have noticed the white and red stock bushings being physically different  (e.g. different durometer) in feel from the orange stock. It's anecdotal, but I'm inclined to disagree with the claim that Indy's stock bushings are all 90A regardless of stock color. Im not referring to Stage 4, btw. That is, until someone from Indy can verify MBrimson's claim about that being the case.

Especially when I firsthand observed my own new Indy trucks with different color stock bushings actually being looser and having a different response time (due to not being 90A) to the standard orange ones. Before and after the China move. Perhaps the China move made all of them 90A in different colors but I don't believe that was the case before the move.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Banned from the room

« Reply #3862 on: August 28, 2023, 06:54:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone thinks that the old Powell product posters are worth anything? I got one in a foot locker. I don't really wanna dig it out if it needs to sit longer to collect value. I was very surprised it wasn't destroyed. Testament to those old wooden army footlockers.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3863 on: August 28, 2023, 07:00:47 PM »

Looks like a gullwing from the late 90s 00s. But it would say gullwing in the baseplate. Probably USA under the plates too.

It has like a raised semetrical "devils lock" seagull shape across the faceof the hanger?

Probably some 2020s china knocks. Those cats are making trucks from the 70s still. HA. Bet their nukes don't even work. Those nazis can't even build sewers right.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3864 on: August 28, 2023, 07:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
boom! Great find, I would then assume the 63mm were also 98 which does make sense considering the skating he was doing and also the fact he was riding old Powell stick which was probably closer to 97 than 99. The power of slap!!!

Edit: @Nymphicus hollandicus also hot up sergie on insta, he’s always happy to talk about era-specific setups and what they rode!

Hell yeah

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3865 on: August 28, 2023, 07:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's what i meant ;)

90A/red called soft
92A/blue called medium
94A/black called hard
[close]

As far as my information goes, it's accurate. I could be wrong, though. The color matching durometer is straight from Indy, so i'm not making that part up.

The white bushings were in 149 standard AVEs and they were soft as shit, so they actually were 78A when I compared to my 90A oranges. It makes sense to put different durometer bushings on some trucks if it's a pro truck and that's the theme they go with. Practically speaking, 90A durometer being the best middle ground makes the most sense, however.

I've mostly only been skating Indy and have noticed the white and red stock bushings being physically different  (e.g. different durometer) in feel from the orange stock. It's anecdotal, but I'm inclined to disagree with the claim that Indy's stock bushings are all 90A regardless of stock color. Im not referring to Stage 4, btw. That is, until someone from Indy can verify MBrimson's claim about that being the case.

Especially when I firsthand observed my own new Indy trucks with different color stock bushings actually being looser and having a different response time (due to not being 90A) to the standard orange ones. Before and after the China move. Perhaps the China move made all of them 90A in different colors but I don't believe that was the case before the move.

I never want to come across as that pushy shop guy, or try to bring my own opinions to the fore, so I welcome any and all conversation on any skate related topic.

Also happy to hear first hand experiences too, as some things just don't balance out from what a brand says, to what people actually feel from using the product.  The funny thing with almost all new trucks is they start out weird, as in bushings a super squishy before they firm up.  A few sets of those white stock bushings feel more firm now than the stock orange on the current trucks, but they have also had more time to cure - it is urethane, so after all they will harden up over time, but I will also get out some of the after market bushings with pics and duro test, take pics or whatever if needed too, more just for fun than anything else.

At least I still have some of the AVE trucks (new in bags), the matt finish metal look with AVE in gothic script with the white bushings, as well as others with the different colours, which I can take pics of and whatever too as needed, but for the most important question, I posted in one of the most recent Indy Instagram posts about the bushings and will wait if anyone comments or replies, from Indy or others...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3866 on: August 28, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Edit: @Nymphicus hollandicus also hot up sergie on insta, he’s always happy to talk about era-specific setups and what they rode!

Some other wheels from around that time are 98 duro too, so that could very well be about it for the duro in question.

Other brands like Spitfire used to have quite a lot of 97 duro wheels, as well as 95 duro back then, way before Soft Ds or other similar wheels came out too, as they were a different formula to the older ones I have.

This was before things went a bit crazy up into the 101 and beyond, with all the different specialised formulas and whatever else was going on in wheel manufacturing at the time.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #3867 on: August 28, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's what i meant ;)

90A/red called soft
92A/blue called medium
94A/black called hard
[close]

This is posted on the page for the Reynolds Mid. They come with 90A black bushings.

Louie Lopez Pro: 90A black.

Toy Machine Collab: 90A red.

And I’m currently riding stock 90A whites from a pair of Tom Knox pros in my AF1 Lows.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 07:40:29 PM by intendedreceivers »

Banned from the room

« Reply #3868 on: August 28, 2023, 07:39:05 PM »
Id kill for a 63mm 99a f4. Shape doesn't matter so long as it's not a lock in. It's would have to be carved on both sides or it might be too tank. og or conical would be the way.

There's gotta be vert guys who don't wanna ride Bones who can sell wheels to kids. Make the fuckin wheels.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #3869 on: August 29, 2023, 01:19:18 AM »
Honestly, I find it so odd that Independent (and other brands too) color code their bushings for different durometers and then throw that out the window when it comes to the stock bushings. They don't really state anywhere that all bushings are 90A regardless of color unless you ask (like the photos a Pal posted above) or dig for it like we're doing here.

Thanks everyone for confirming and it seems I'm wrong about the stock ones, but right about the aftermarket ones.

I'm still tripping out because the stock red bushings I have previously used feel way different than the orange ones. Same thing with those AVE white ones. Maybe those were rare one-offs for me.
Super Champion Fun Zone