Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216519 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 306
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4350 on: December 06, 2023, 05:18:11 AM »
Tom Knox has aged well!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4351 on: December 07, 2023, 05:04:12 AM »
Are Fastbreaks TTS?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4352 on: December 07, 2023, 05:39:42 AM »
I tried searching but couldn’t find much. What’s the consensus on sizing for the Adidas Puig (Cupsole)? I usually have to go half size up on most adidas.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4353 on: December 07, 2023, 05:57:56 AM »
I tried searching but couldn’t find much. What’s the consensus on sizing for the Adidas Puig (Cupsole)? I usually have to go half size up on most adidas.
TTS for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4354 on: December 07, 2023, 06:49:02 AM »
Are Fastbreaks TTS?
For me, skate version, yes.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4355 on: December 07, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
I just bought rails for the first time since ever. What how should I put them on?

Anyone? Bueller?

I can't test fit these stupid slippery things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:49:23 PM by Uncle Flea »

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4356 on: December 07, 2023, 06:52:01 PM »
I just bought rails for the first time since ever. What how should I put them on?

Anyone? Bueller?

I just use a screw gun but I'm really good with one. Finish with a screwdriver to get them tighter

I set them at 2 fingers from the edge, but you can set them at one finger

Sometimes I set the top and bottom screw first and then pull on the rail to round it out to the edge for an old school look, or to go with the shape of the board. Best practise is to start from the middle and go out, but I never do

You can test them with double sided tape

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #4357 on: December 07, 2023, 07:42:52 PM »
Ask the shop dude  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Banned from the room

« Reply #4358 on: December 07, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
Expand Quote

Anyone? Bueller?

[close]

I just use a screw gun but I'm really good with one. Finish with a screwdriver to get them tighter

I set them at 2 fingers from the edge, but you can set them at one finger

Sometimes I set the top and bottom screw first and then pull on the rail to round it out to the edge for an old school look, or to go with the shape of the board. Best practise is to start from the middle and go out, but I never do

You can test them with double sided tape

Thanks doggie. I kinda pulled it. I just mashed the double sided curb up the street. I haven't figured it yet. Also I stripped one. Gonna wood glue later maybe.

At the curb
My wheels ain't quite clearing. They soft too and the curb is sharp af. Then my trucks froze. I'm throwing a thunder top in tomorrow. It's green too. That's sick.

I'm really hoping it'll give me more pop out a flat bar. I haven't been able to board pop to truck up since returning to tricks.

Also this graphic is layed out with two straight edges on each side. It's near perfectly centered too.

I just should have put the inside of the rail against it. I lined the holes up with it instead.

Next time. Lined up perfectly with the two amps

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4359 on: December 07, 2023, 08:49:55 PM »
Why do trucks feel tighter when you set up a new board? Doesn’t matter which woodshop it is. I could set up the same shape and same size board from the same company two boards in a row, but my trucks always feel rock hard at the start of the boards life and extra loose(the way I like) right before it’s dead. Is it the stiffness of the new board?
fuck you bama

Banned from the room

« Reply #4360 on: December 07, 2023, 09:10:22 PM »
Why do trucks feel tighter when you set up a new board? Doesn’t matter which woodshop it is. I could set up the same shape and same size board from the same company two boards in a row, but my trucks always feel rock hard at the start of the boards life and extra loose(the way I like) right before it’s dead. Is it the stiffness of the new board?

Could be.I prefer loose trucks. And I definitely prefer my boards kinda older. Like right before razor tail ruins it is my favorite time in its life.

The 6.1s I just got are kinda on the looser side for new Ventures. It might be because I'm so magic carpet rn tho.
I might have better leverage because my axles are so in

They should make a 6.9 with a 9" axle maybe

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4361 on: December 08, 2023, 01:43:01 PM »
I gotta shout out whoever (however many of you out there!) recommended using some soap on your pivot cups to quiet the squeaking. Proverbial GNARS to all of you!!!

Breaking in new Indys (cruiser) with stock pivot cups seemed like a forever noisy battle until I remembered some pals suggested using soap or oil or something similar to grease up the cup. Holy shit did that quiet it almost instantly!!  I had some new clicking for about 20 minutes after the reinstall, but riding the board around solved that. Now, my cruiser glides with ease and is almost silent. Perfect!
Super Champion Fun Zone

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4362 on: December 08, 2023, 06:44:54 PM »
Might be better suited to the woodshop thread but I got other questions too

Anyone had experience with these blanks off of Ebay? Anyone know the shop they're from or is it mystery meat?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203283828327?hash=item2f54a90e67:g:4zcAAOSwgjVgL8~~&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Secondly, with rumours DC will be turned into a pile of shit by ABG and some of SoleTech looking like the ship is sinking, anyone know good shoe brands for people with large, wide feet? Nike and Adidas have historically been shitty for me in this regard, but this was ages ago and maybe they've changed. I've never tried Lakai or NB#. Cons feel like torture.

I'm 11/11.5 UK size. I like shit like the Accel and techier cupsoles.

Thirdly, anyone know a good skate belt?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4363 on: December 08, 2023, 06:47:18 PM »
where is the news about DC?
second time seeing this within the hour
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4364 on: December 08, 2023, 06:53:26 PM »
where is the news about DC?
second time seeing this within the hour

It's mainly the thread in Wooden Toy Banter, I think it's a lot of doom-speculation imo but a lot of people have left, like the global brand manager, Dway and Colin, Wes K. I think I'm missing someone else as well.

Still, Kalis, Jahmir and Shannahan seem to be doing alright, Kalis' even getting a new shoe next year from the looks of his stories.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4365 on: December 08, 2023, 08:45:52 PM »
Anyone feel like the recent pressings of BBS decks have been sub par? Snapped my last Habitat twin on a frontside flip, this was from their latest drop of decks. Granted I landed heavy on the tail but it was chipping prematurely. The previous batch of Habitat decks from China never gave out on me like this.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #4366 on: December 08, 2023, 09:05:06 PM »
I wonder.

You guys think Kelly Hart ever bombed the hills in Laguna?
I was there some of those were pretty sick. Not like death but there's deers that stand in the middle of the road in groups at night and they down to fight a skater.

Idk. I'm just dreaming of the past. I should have escaped the family and stayed in LA longer.  They just tricked me into coming home. Then turned me in on Thanksgiving.

I had my first premonition in form of a dream the night before. Then it actually happened. I was fuckin crashing on like 10 rolls when they took me away in my underwear too.

Lol

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #4367 on: December 08, 2023, 10:48:58 PM »

I wonder.

You guys think Kelly Hart
ever bombed the hills in Laguna?
I was there
some of those were pretty sick. Not like
death but
there's deers that stand in the middle of the road
in groups at night
and they down to fight a skater.

Idk.
I'm just dreaming of the past.
I should have escaped the family
and stayed in LA longer.  They just
tricked me
into coming home. Then
turned me in on Thanksgiving.

I had my first premonition
in form of a dream the night before.
Then it actually happened. I was fuckin crashing
on like 10 rolls  when
they took me away
in my underwear too.

Lol

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4368 on: December 08, 2023, 11:31:00 PM »

Anyone had experience with these blanks off of Ebay? Anyone know the shop they're from or is it mystery meat?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203283828327?hash=item2f54a90e67:g:4zcAAOSwgjVgL8~~&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Secondly, with rumours DC will be turned into a pile of shit by ABG and some of SoleTech looking like the ship is sinking, anyone know good shoe brands for people with large, wide feet? Nike and Adidas have historically been shitty for me in this regard, but this was ages ago and maybe they've changed. I've never tried Lakai or NB#. Cons feel like torture.

Go for NB#.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -464
« Reply #4369 on: December 09, 2023, 09:51:53 AM »
wtf is going on at element with them selling so many decks on the cheap for months? How do the section decks from those recent sales skate?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #4370 on: December 09, 2023, 11:16:29 AM »
wtf is going on at element with them selling so many decks on the cheap for months? How do the section decks from those recent sales skate?

Element is a MASSIVE company, compared to other board brands. I'm sure it just makes more sense for them to dump all their old overstock inventory for cheap than continue holding it.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4371 on: December 09, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote

I wonder.

I was there
death but
in groups at night

Idk.
tricked me
into coming home. Then

on like 10 rolls  when
they took me away
in my underwear too.

Lol

[close]

I believe Kelly is on record stating that he only ever skated the hill in front of his house and that it wasn't much of a hill because he lived

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4372 on: December 09, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Element is a MASSIVE company, compared to other board brands. I'm sure it just makes more sense for them to dump all their old overstock inventory for cheap than continue holding it.

I could have a guess and say that the whole company that owns Element along with DC and other brands are travelling with a little too much momentum and sliding off the proverbial cliff with nothing to hold on to, or so it would seem.

Clearing out absolutely stupid amounts of stock to try to get back some $$$ to make the bottom line look a little better might be one thing, but it seems like this time there might not be a whole lot coming back, along with team riders leaving left and right from various brands and not a whole lot to keep them going as a company, besides the corporate backing and looking for new investors / buyers to get them out of the financial hole they have dug for themselves.

Sorry if that might be a little harsh or too deep for what would usually not be anything to do with the Woodshop thread or topic.

Least of all, get them while you can, decent wood - BBS or China made boards - in reasonable shapes at very cheap prices are not everyone's taste, but if you don't have a problem blanking them or riding them as is, there sure are some ridiculous prices and good deals to be had for the wood right now.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #4373 on: December 10, 2023, 02:22:00 AM »
Expand Quote

I wonder.

I was there
death but
in groups at night

Idk.
tricked me
into coming home. Then

on like 10 rolls  when
they took me away
in my underwear too.

Lol

[close]

Gnarred

We should make a zine of just Flea’s poetry, put into poetic form.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4374 on: December 10, 2023, 09:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Go for NB#.
I am a fiend for the Josl1n’s and I have a big ol’ bunion. (Big toe bone sticks way on the side), and they don’t ever hurt or feel tight like Nike Dunks and other thin shoes do.

As for skate belt: Arcade. Absolute best damn belt ever. Plastic and recycled polyester (or something) that you can throw in the wash when it’s all gross and sweaty.

Definitely wish I had these when I was skating almost everyday for hours and putting on just dried sweaty pants and socks because if I didn’t then I’d be doing a shit-ton of laundry.

You might be able to find them at skate shops (I think I saw at one of the big online skate stores once, but here it is direct from the company:

https://arcadebelts.com/collections/adventure-stretch-belts/products/atlas-stretch-belt?variant=42381211795509
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4375 on: December 10, 2023, 10:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Go for NB#.

For belts I have an Arcade woven belt. It looks nice like a normal woven, but has some stretch in it so it never feels restrictive.

Like this belt, so any woven stretch belt should do
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjhu7PvvYWDAxUN08IEHdVoBFcYABAjGgJwdg&ae=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NWrBhD-ARIsAFCKwWuaQG9qasReWzduJibu5oILiYyNTgs4VrNl_6VJWIYgbbCaiUtIXw0aAgGeEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESVeD2-inkiUt6qudGC28VRde7LD1x_1MibsYEweakFaqkQmuWka8EsFYJ9Bc-YAgErFd1bQaduzf2imWVGPhDBFzOf9RClDeOIzHNo5oMZ2u6768HoxI&sig=AOD64_0gRz3Hf5kUoo4REjQhF0_1tSIMJA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjwt6rvvYWDAxULJkQIHU8uDi8Qwg8oAHoECAYQXA&adurl=

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4376 on: December 10, 2023, 01:11:19 PM »

The boards are from one of the mass produced deck manufacturers in China, reasonable boards if you just want some cheap wood, most likely from one of the main ones, but I wouldn't say anything amazing about them, if they are the ones I am thinking of.

Some people do like them quite a lot, so for the price, they are worth having a go if you want and see, but I would order only a few at first.

As for belts, I have these thicker material web belts or clamp belts I have been wearing for a long, long time in my 874 pants - easily adjustable, never have issues with them, same as quite a few skate brands but you can get blank ones from army surplus / disposal stores or quite a few other places, always the clamp, not the sliding pin inside though.  They sit flat and I can use a hair tie / elastic band to hold the end in nice and tight, so there are no annoyances while I skate.

I see some good ones from Vans, Volcom, Spitfire, and most other brands have had them at one point or another too.

This is a fairly plain looking one that you can see the buckle in detail anyway:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/364501884649

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4377 on: December 10, 2023, 06:13:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Go for NB#.
[close]
I am a fiend for the Josl1n’s and I have a big ol’ bunion. (Big toe bone sticks way on the side), and they don’t ever hurt or feel tight like Nike Dunks and other thin shoes do.

I have a huge bunion on my left foot and most shoes feel tight out of the box, eS and NB have hurt the least. I recommend using a shoe stretcher for a few days, then walking around in them before skating them. Most suede and leather models will stretch out fine, the newer tech materials like eS' Everstitch Eco has zero give and is still really tight even after a month of skating.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #4378 on: December 10, 2023, 09:07:34 PM »
I got jury duty tomorrow.

It's far away too. I have to drive up there. I've never been called up before.

I feel like it's a trap. I feel like I'm not going to make it out of there because they will want to punish me for my feelings on the state.

I feel like I need a lawyer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #4379 on: December 10, 2023, 09:23:03 PM »
I'm in Canada so it's probably different, and it was during COVID and I thought for sure they wouldn't pick me..... wrong... a month jury duty...it was not rad.

I think you just need to make an excuse quickly....in hindsight, i should have had my employer write a letter or explain that I had relatives in the same town where the crime occurred?  It was a possessions charge and one guy didn't have to serve because someone in his family OD'd.....

Also, I got paid so I had less excuses, if I didn't get paid then I'm pretty sure I could claim financial hardship, this might be another way out.