Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216679 times)

michael and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 323
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4530 on: January 15, 2024, 10:07:54 AM »
Today I fell on my knee wearing a pair of black Polar Surf pants. It wasn't bad or anything, but it did leave a light scuff/faded mark that's grey/white-ish. Is there any way to darken it so it's less noticeable? And yes, I already tried pissing on them.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4531 on: January 15, 2024, 10:58:44 AM »
Today I fell on my knee wearing a pair of black Polar Surf pants. It wasn't bad or anything, but it did leave a light scuff/faded mark that's grey/white-ish. Is there any way to darken it so it's less noticeable? And yes, I already tried pissing on them.

I think you're supposed to pee in them

You used to be able to buy this stuff everywhere. I would try a spot treatment if it's too much then dye the whole pants. It also might not take

I like my pants with battle scars. I wouldn't dye them

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4532 on: January 15, 2024, 11:35:23 AM »
I recently bought a Krooked Truefit 8.38 with 14" wb. Its a 1 press, and I dont get along with it at all. Too steep. Ghost pop etc. What you guys do in such scenario? I'm tempted to just go back to my old alltimers boards, which does have 14.38wb.

djoekr

• Rep: 323
« Reply #4533 on: January 15, 2024, 11:36:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you're supposed to pee in them

You used to be able to buy this stuff everywhere. I would try a spot treatment if it's too much then dye the whole pants. It also might not take

I like my pants with battle scars. I wouldn't dye them

I'm the same with my skate pants, but I already ripped my previous ones and bought these because I like the fit and wanted a non-skated one to wear. Bought 'em like two weeks ago too and I wasn't even skating in them. It snowed today and apparently the road was frozen solid so I slammed riding my bicycle back home. Guess I got two Surf pants to skate in now.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4534 on: January 15, 2024, 01:30:58 PM »
I recently bought a Krooked Truefit 8.38 with 14" wb. Its a 1 press, and I dont get along with it at all. Too steep. Ghost pop etc. What you guys do in such scenario? I'm tempted to just go back to my old alltimers boards, which does have 14.38wb.

Trade that deck to a homie for a meal.
Give it to a kid with a thrashed deck.
Try to flatten the kicks and skate it.
Build a cruiser setup and cruise.
Get Ventures (don't get into the madness)
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4535 on: January 15, 2024, 01:40:27 PM »

There are some people I know and others on here as well who realised that the Tru Fit was just too short for anything and everything for them, so they passed it on to someone else, often a smaller individual or child.

The thing with any board that is too steep in the kicks is you can drive over it or park on the kicks, graphic side up for a short time to flatten them out, which definitely works - I have done lots - but for some people, it just makes the board feel dead / soggy or doesn't work for them for other reasons, so take note of that and be very careful if you do try that.

I would tend to go with the sell it or pass it on approach, because I think you might not like it even if it was more mellow and at least that way you can recover some costs or make someone happy if you give it away.

That is my take on it anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4536 on: January 16, 2024, 02:04:42 AM »
If you have a car run over the board
https://youtu.be/hVv53BA-vUc?si=vfv0U8aoKHb-YNLO
@4:04
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:21:35 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4537 on: January 16, 2024, 05:02:15 AM »
Id rather just give it away then! I have to say I dont really enjoy DLX anymore. They are all rather steep.
Suggestions for more mellow decks? I guess I could measure the height of the tail and nose with the deck on the floor, as a guide.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #4538 on: January 16, 2024, 06:07:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone try the “Pop Secret” decks from Crailtap? I’m usually not one to buy into gimmicks but I’m curious if anyone noticed any major benefits compared to their standard decks.
[close]

I didn't ride one, but my local ripper told me they were too heavy even for him. Spent a few minutes on it and it was painfully stiff, even stiffer than a fresh DSM deck.

Thanks, that was helpful. I did see a twin version for $65 which is only 5 more than a standard deck so I bought. I will report back although at this rate I won't be skating for atleast a month or so due to weather.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 07:46:01 AM by Chatbot »

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #4539 on: January 16, 2024, 02:39:13 PM »
This may be a very stupid question, so if so forgive me, but I'm trying to fix a warped deck. I have 2 of the same board, both new, one warped, one not. I'm hoping to get it as close to back to normal as I can. Would it be better if I took the warped board and put it on the bottom, then the non-warped one on top, then stacked a bunch of old decks on top? Or should I put the non-warped on the bottom, then the warped one on top of that, then stack the old decks on top of that? I'm not expecting to make it perfect, just hoping I can stack it to make the warping less severe. And should I put some extra weight on top of all the boards (books, etc)?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • sup dog
« Reply #4540 on: January 16, 2024, 02:42:17 PM »
This may be a very stupid question, so if so forgive me, but I'm trying to fix a warped deck. I have 2 of the same board, both new, one warped, one not. I'm hoping to get it as close to back to normal as I can. Would it be better if I took the warped board and put it on the bottom, then the non-warped one on top, then stacked a bunch of old decks on top? Or should I put the non-warped on the bottom, then the warped one on top of that, then stack the old decks on top of that? I'm not expecting to make it perfect, just hoping I can stack it to make the warping less severe. And should I put some extra weight on top of all the boards (books, etc)?
Paging Dr. @Mbrimson88
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4541 on: January 16, 2024, 04:13:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Paging Dr. @Mbrimson88

Yep, got you covered on this one, thanks!

I thought I had posted this before, but couldn't find it, but I put it in the Woodshop thread, just so at least I know it has a home I can easily link again, rather than getting lost in any other thread, even though I checked the search option.

Link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg4144275#msg4144275

Basically I offset the warp the other way and put heavy things on it, so sure you could just put a board under it and a lot of stuff on top, but by offsetting the warp, then it actually warps it back to very even.

Timeframe varies but sometimes a week or two, sometimes a month, from going back through a stack of boards I had discarded due to being warped and then tried this on a lot of different boards to see.

Hope that helps!

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #4542 on: January 16, 2024, 04:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Paging Dr. @Mbrimson88
[close]

Yep, got you covered on this one, thanks!

I thought I had posted this before, but couldn't find it, but I put it in the Woodshop thread, just so at least I know it has a home I can easily link again, rather than getting lost in any other thread, even though I checked the search option.

Link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg4144275#msg4144275

Basically I offset the warp the other way and put heavy things on it, so sure you could just put a board under it and a lot of stuff on top, but by offsetting the warp, then it actually warps it back to very even.

Timeframe varies but sometimes a week or two, sometimes a month, from going back through a stack of boards I had discarded due to being warped and then tried this on a lot of different boards to see.

Hope that helps!

Thanks it's greatly appreciated!

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #4543 on: January 17, 2024, 10:35:16 AM »
When you guys buy decks to have on ice, do you pregrip them or wait until you’re setting them up?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #4544 on: January 17, 2024, 10:46:09 AM »
When you guys buy decks to have on ice, do you pregrip them or wait until you’re setting them up?

Wait.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #4545 on: January 17, 2024, 10:49:00 AM »
Has anyone traded product to a shop for something different?

Basically, I was gifted an Heroin Avi guest egg for my bday a few months back. I put it on ice as I had just set up a bigger (9.5") symmetrical egg and I kind of want to stay at that size. There are a ton of shops in LB/OC that carry Heroin, I just don't want to go in trying to trade if that's not a thing.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #4546 on: January 17, 2024, 10:50:27 AM »
Yes, but I have good rapport with the owners. It's worth a try but don't make an issue of it if they are reluctant.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4547 on: January 17, 2024, 04:33:00 PM »
for those skating double drilled boards
when do you switch?
it sounds convenient but i cant picture doing that myself

would figure most people set their trucks up and go
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4548 on: January 17, 2024, 04:06:15 PM »
Id rather just give it away then! I have to say I dont really enjoy DLX anymore. They are all rather steep.
Suggestions for more mellow decks? I guess I could measure the height of the tail and nose with the deck on the floor, as a guide.
How mellow do you want to go? Baker/Deathwish OG shapes feel like a nice medium mellowness to me. I've also had an Evisen 8.25 that was pretty flat. But the flattest board I've ever had was a Mini Logo 242.

The DOA guy goes into it in this video:

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4549 on: January 17, 2024, 04:08:11 PM »
How mellow do you want to go? Baker/Deathwish OG shapes feel like a nice medium mellowness to me. I've also had an Evisen 8.25 that was pretty flat. But the flattest board I've ever had was a Mini Logo 242.

The DOA guy goes into it in this video:

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4550 on: January 17, 2024, 04:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait.

Yeah I had a few people come back in needing to regrip a board they had gripped by someone somewhere when they bought the boards, then not skated them for however long, so during that time the grip had peeled up a lot, in one case the grip completely came off the board and curled up on itself - maybe more so one particular brand that is a bit notorious for that sort of thing than anything else, but I am of the mind that if I am not going to skate it right now, I keep it ungripped (and usually still in shrink) until such time as I am ready and wanting to set it up to skate it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4551 on: January 17, 2024, 05:14:39 PM »
Has anyone traded product to a shop for something different?

Basically, I was gifted an Heroin Avi guest egg for my bday a few months back. I put it on ice as I had just set up a bigger (9.5") symmetrical egg and I kind of want to stay at that size. There are a ton of shops in LB/OC that carry Heroin, I just don't want to go in trying to trade if that's not a thing.

Yes, but I have good rapport with the owners. It's worth a try but don't make an issue of it if they are reluctant.

It is almost always about how easily something can move, so a fresh Heroin deck might just be a good seller and the shop will be really good with you, or if they are a bit more "stay with their own" and not really thinking outside the box, they might just be flat no.

Gotta say from being a guy who had often got this or that I didn't want, as well as being the guy behind the counter at other times and had people come in wanting to swap / trade all manner of things, I have this to say.

Simple respect goes a long way, as does a familiar face, so from being behind the counter and some random comes in with his spono package of brands XYZ (lowest brands out there) and wants to swap for brands ABC (best brands out there) and is a dick about it, the answer is a flat NO and I don't care how much you beg or ask, it is just not going to happen. 

If someone I barely know comes in with a bunch of amazing stuff and is super cool, I have no problem with them and try to help them with whatever they want.  Then if someone I am very familiar with comes in with a load of rubbish, or is trying to do the "but I am a regular..." and wants mates rates on stuff, then I often end up with a bad taste in my mouth and just don't want to deal with that dude again, even if I do some swap / trade deal.  I have ended up saying something like "I just can't help you any more" to more than one dude who was just too much trouble in the past.  Didn't miss not seeing him again, but that is just me.

But back to swaps and trades, when I have had things I didn't want, with a small shop I know, I have even left things there on consignment so if they sell, then I get shop credit.  That worked really well and they were down with it, but I did spend a decent amount in there too, helping to grease the wheels.

Other times I have offered to trade in a couple of decent things, with the desire to spend a good amount in that store, so the guy was cool with it as he made money, not just had a "no sale" swap and go happen.

Anyway, that is probably more than enough words for now - good luck and if you are cool and they are down, you can easily have a positive business deal, but I know some places would just be flat "No we can't do that" for various reasons, warranty and stock order issues one thing that comes to mind.

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #4552 on: January 18, 2024, 08:31:32 AM »
are the bbs gx1000 8.5s a 14.25 or 14.5 wb?

Dmng

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4553 on: January 18, 2024, 01:44:02 PM »
Hello ! First post here after month of daily checking :)

I wondered as a beginner if bones/spitfire wheels have any plus for a beginner like me (Ollie, nollie, frontside 180, shuv) could be of any help for comfort or learning (better power slides ?) than my current haze wheels 99a?

Out of curiosity, what would be the setup you would recommend to someone like me  (180cm slim) with this “level” if I can say so

Sorry if this first post is a bit disappointing;)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4554 on: January 18, 2024, 02:00:45 PM »

I wondered as a beginner if bones/spitfire wheels have any plus for a beginner like me (Ollie, nollie, frontside 180, shuv) could be of any help for comfort or learning (better power slides ?) than my current haze wheels 99a?

Out of curiosity, what would be the setup you would recommend to someone like me  (180cm slim) with this “level” if I can say so

Nah not disappointing at all, it's all good. Honestly I've never even heard of Haze wheels before - looks like it's a European company.

I mean if they work for you, keep using em. But it's pretty much a given that higher quality product leads to more confidence and comfort, and skating is no exception to that, so I'd recommend using Spitfire or Bones due to their quality.

Maybe some European posters with more product experience can chime in.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4555 on: January 18, 2024, 02:21:25 PM »

Unless they don't slide at all, don't get anything more expensive. Especially for learning powerslides, because by doing that over and over you're gonna wear down any wheels pretty quickly. I just checked some reviews on skatedeluxe and it seems like Haze wheels slide perfectly fine.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4556 on: January 18, 2024, 02:25:33 PM »
are the bbs gx1000 8.5s a 14.25 or 14.5 wb?

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/jeff-carlyle-juggalo-8-5

or

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/flowers-8-5

Details:
■ 8.5" X 32.125" WB 14.25"
■ Manufactured at BBS

Can't speak for all of them, but at least the GX1000 site has good info on it.  Seems they are all 14.25 from looking at others too.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4557 on: January 18, 2024, 03:22:19 PM »
does the primitive team have a van?
i was thinking mercedes sprinter
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4558 on: January 19, 2024, 01:05:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah not disappointing at all, it's all good. Honestly I've never even heard of Haze wheels before - looks like it's a European company.

I mean if they work for you, keep using em. But it's pretty much a given that higher quality product leads to more confidence and comfort, and skating is no exception to that, so I'd recommend using Spitfire or Bones due to their quality.

Haze are good wheels, a friend skates for them. As said, if they work for you just keep them and then when needing new ones try some F4 99 if you want an update.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4559 on: January 19, 2024, 01:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Haze are good wheels, a friend skates for them. As said, if they work for you just keep them and then when needing new ones try some F4 99 if you want an update.

Nothing wrong at all with Haze wheels. Keep your money for shoes and decks you'll go threw both of them more than wheels.