Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216602 times)

maggotspawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4590 on: February 09, 2024, 12:17:09 PM »
How are the Spitfire Sapphires? How are they compared to Dragons?
Whoever I DM'd this question, please disregard, my phone is a POS.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87
« Reply #4591 on: February 09, 2024, 02:39:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are there any thin shoes (need boardfeel) with a bit of a thicker padded tongue? The top of my foot is swollen from the board falling on it and I wish there was more protection.
Currently skating emerica dicksons and there's nothing.
[close]

Vans Rowans have a nice padded tongue and collar, tho maybe a bit beefier overall than you'd like. Still great boardfeel imo.

Vans Chukka Lows have a mad padded tongue.

Vans K-Walks are cupsole but still on the slimmer side, also a nice amount of cushion

A number of vulc NB# models should have some padding, I'll leave the specifics to the NB experts tho

GT Blazers have a smidge of tongue padding, not too familiar with other Nike SB's tho.

Small list of the top of my head, others would probably know more.
[close]
Thanks! I have rowans and kwalks(slip). They do have just a tiny bit more than my emericas and I don't think that's enough.
The etnies joslins have a really good amount, those are my walking shoes currently and I hope I can manage skating them soon, sole is a lot thicker and stiffer than what I'm used to.
The Vans halfcab original/non-skate-line might be a good option. Unlike most of the Vans original line the halfcab mostly suede so it’ll hold up decently for skating. The insole is pretty thin and the tongue is thicker than a lot of other vulc shoes. 

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4592 on: February 09, 2024, 04:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are there any thin shoes (need boardfeel) with a bit of a thicker padded tongue? The top of my foot is swollen from the board falling on it and I wish there was more protection.
[close]

Vans Rowans have a nice padded tongue and collar, tho maybe a bit beefier overall than you'd like. Still great boardfeel imo.

Vans K-Walks are cupsole but still on the slimmer side, also a nice amount of cushion

A number of vulc NB# models should have some padding, I'll leave the specifics to the NB experts tho

GT Blazers have a smidge of tongue padding, not too familiar with other Nike SB's tho.

[close]
Thanks! I have rowans and kwalks(slip). They do have just a tiny bit more than my emericas and I don't think that's enough.
The etnies joslins have a really good amount, those are my walking shoes currently and I hope I can manage skating them soon, sole is a lot thicker and stiffer than what I'm used to.
[close]
The Vans halfcab original/non-skate-line might be a good option. Unlike most of the Vans original line the halfcab mostly suede so it’ll hold up decently for skating. The insole is pretty thin and the tongue is thicker than a lot of other vulc shoes.
I don’t think they make em anymore. And if they do… I need
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4593 on: February 09, 2024, 04:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
I don’t think they make em anymore. And if they do… I need

The Classic Half Cab is still around, although it often goes on sale, gets cleared out, then comes back next year at a higher price, goes on sale, etc in some of the bigger shops I always see (and get them from when on clearance).

I strip out the classic glued in insole, sometimes super easy and other times not, then put in my own old pro insoles and super glue the stitching around and they hold up just fine for me - no blown out areas at all compared to the Skate Half Cab, where the heel area splits, mainly because it is canvas and not reinforced.

Some of the other versions of the Skate line, like a few of the 92 versions are full leather / suede round the back so they don't blow out.

As far as padded tongue options, I have always recycled my Half Cab tongues into most other shoes, so when the Half Cab is done, rip out or cut out the tongue, then often cut it down a little to fit under the minimal tongue of almost every other shoe I have, all Vans, but I just sit them in as I put the shoe on, tighten up the laces and they don't move at all.

This is my go to for Old Skools, Sk8 Low, Mid or Hi, Era, Authentics and more.  You can use a padded tongue from any other shoe, or people even put in a cut up piece of high density foam, but a puffy tongue from any 00 shoe is great - used to have Etnies SLB, Accel and others that were always great for the padded tongue to re use when the shoe was done.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4594 on: February 09, 2024, 08:46:03 PM »
I used to have a vhs copy of an s-one insoles video with Brian Emmers, Aaron Snyder, Paulo Diaz who skated to his own music I think, (maybe) Peter Smolik and bunch of others.  I’m pulling this name out of the depths of my memory and might not actually be a real name but i think Will Harmon had a part.  I used to love this video but forgot the name. Does anybody remember this? What was it called? I’d like to watch it again

Aquatic Dinosaur

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4596 on: February 10, 2024, 05:03:08 AM »
Looked through a lot of shoes at the shop today and yeah, half cabs are the solution to my tongue padding problem. Thanks for the input guys. Joslin vulcs are also an okay option, at least much better than the emerica dicksons and basically all the other vans.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4597 on: February 10, 2024, 11:48:04 AM »
Looked through a lot of shoes at the shop today and yeah, half cabs are the solution to my tongue padding problem. Thanks for the input guys. Joslin vulcs are also an okay option, at least much better than the emerica dicksons and basically all the other vans.

The MC 92 reissue could be another good option next to Halfcabs.

Also, sounds like late 2000s and early 2010s vulcs are ideal for this situation: puffy-ish uppers on thinner vulc soles. Miss that era of shoes, personally: Square One, HSU Mid, DVS Munition CT, DC Pure (I know they're still around), etc.
Super Champion Fun Zone

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4598 on: February 10, 2024, 12:26:12 PM »
Back in my day you would fold a sock and stuff it under your tongue

PaulHarwood856

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4599 on: February 10, 2024, 12:51:37 PM »
Think about it like this: less friction means less wear and tear on your gear.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4600 on: February 10, 2024, 09:14:25 PM »
I used to do this too, but eventually stopped because: a) it didn’t do much for my shoes & b) I couldn’t talk the whole session because of the gosh darned sock in my mouth.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #4601 on: February 15, 2024, 11:24:09 AM »
My knees and ankles are fucked.  Any impact seems to put me out of commission.  I'm out of the loop for shoes since I've been comfortable with emericas my whole life but need some cushion.  Which shoes have the best impact cushioning?  I'll even buy some Nyjahs, whatever it takes.

Can he read

« Reply #4602 on: February 15, 2024, 11:45:45 AM »

Or cut out the tongue of another pair of shoes and stuff it inside. Talk about an onion on the belt.

There’s a company still keeping the dream alive in 2024 for some reason https://www.instagram.com/puffrite?igsh=dDEzY2M2N3FrYXE0

Can he read

« Reply #4603 on: February 15, 2024, 11:48:42 AM »
My knees and ankles are fucked.  Any impact seems to put me out of commission.  I'm out of the loop for shoes since I've been comfortable with emericas my whole life but need some cushion.  Which shoes have the best impact cushioning?  I'll even buy some Nyjahs, whatever it takes.

I hear the NB1010 is pretty much the shoe for that. I have a pair and can confirm they’re very padded and comfy but I haven’t brought myself to try skating in them yet.

manysnakes

« Reply #4604 on: February 15, 2024, 11:55:49 AM »

The right shoes will always be stopgap for conditioning your body, but with that said, I agree with the 1010 recommendation. It's not even the only shoe I skate, but I think it's the most comfortable, longest lasting and probably the best all-around skate shoe I've ever used.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4605 on: February 15, 2024, 11:56:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or cut out the tongue of another pair of shoes and stuff it inside. Talk about an onion on the belt.

There’s a company still keeping the dream alive in 2024 for some reason https://www.instagram.com/puffrite?igsh=dDEzY2M2N3FrYXE0

fucking sold

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #4606 on: February 15, 2024, 06:17:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The right shoes will always be stopgap for conditioning your body, but with that said, I agree with the 1010 recommendation. It's not even the only shoe I skate, but I think it's the most comfortable, longest lasting and probably the best all-around skate shoe I've ever used.

Thanks yeah I'm definitely putting in the work and exercising.  Had a setback that brought a lot of pain from a seemingly very minor hit to my heel

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4607 on: February 16, 2024, 01:17:32 AM »
1010 or if you want to go hardcore 808 and if you want to go really hardcore put FP game changers on 808.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4608 on: February 16, 2024, 05:11:14 AM »
Get some FP insoles (just the green 20-30 dollar kingfoam elites) and it will really help with vibrations and little impacts even from flat ground skating. They really did save my knees from getting worse.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4609 on: February 16, 2024, 03:15:35 PM »
Was there a piece off gear you forced yourself to ride that ended up being for the better and that you stuck with? Like a shorter WB board or taper tail vs full, bigger wheels, etc..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:24:15 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4610 on: February 16, 2024, 03:43:18 PM »
Was there a piece off gear you forced yourself to ride that ended up being for the better dnd that you stuck with? Like a shorter WB board or taper tail vs full, bigger wheels, etc..

great freakin question.

off the top my 1st example is the G053…. wider, longer shape. worked great.
nb 808s i was positive i needed to send back, and they are now excellent. took some time on a shoe stretcher.

i’m sure there is more.

stuff i should have stuck with: skating wider boards. i always wanted to skate little boards like my tech hero’s. i had several ‘cruisers’ that were really just hesh-curious setups, that i’d only ride drunk….(this has taken a turn, as im typing this out….)

anyways! i’d skate these bigger boards, intoxicated, and skate better in many ways, than how i’d skate on my tiny 7.5s or what have you.
but id never stick with those. interesting only to me
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 11:02:26 AM by Ok »

Banned from the room

« Reply #4611 on: February 16, 2024, 03:50:41 PM »
I need to know.

Who's fuckin better PJ of Daewon? It doesn't deserve a thread at this time.
I'm not asking who's your favorite I'm asking who has better communication with the board.

I been arguing strangers near to the point of them foaming up and getting punchy. Apparently my second favorite west coaster is like heeeeeeeeySeuss the anointed among some blasphemous circles better here and Canadia. I don't get it at all. I'd admit that style wise is very close. Imma give that to Daewon.

I'm fuckin telling you just like I told the last guy.
Magnesium trucks. Pj wins.... And i just sonned you kid.

So what does slap think?

PJ or Daewon. Who's got the juice grandma.

I wish someone would nick name me grandma some day. Get my frickin eyebrows tatted and scare people in the neighborhood on Sundays

manysnakes

« Reply #4612 on: February 16, 2024, 04:15:04 PM »
Was there a piece off gear you forced yourself to ride that ended up being for the better dnd that you stuck with? Like a shorter WB board or taper tail vs full, bigger wheels, etc..

I'd say it was the NB1010s. I spent good money on them, and they felt absolutely awful, so I moved them to street shoes. After a few months, I tried skating them again and they were probably the best shoe I've ever used.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4613 on: February 16, 2024, 04:18:34 PM »
@Xen
smaller wheels
sure they are not as fast as 56s or 58s
but it forces another push out of me
and feeling close to the ground is huge when youre tall
honestly should switch to x97/x99 to combat rough ground
just not sure which formula, want it to be one and done

longer boards too, switched cold turkey
31.75/14wb up to 32.5/14.5wb thinking id hate it
im visibly skating better and more confidently
not sure if its the wheelbase or overall length
but something feels right

@manysnakes
i took a week or two wearing them daily
when i was ready to skate em they were perfectly molded
definitely not an “out the box” shoe but patience is rewarded
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4614 on: February 16, 2024, 05:37:12 PM »
@Xen
smaller wheels

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:19:29 PM by Xen »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #4615 on: February 16, 2024, 05:43:55 PM »
Are dogs who respond to specific words or commands more attuned to human communication, or is it the more independent types that interact for their own purposes the more advanced communicators?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4616 on: February 16, 2024, 09:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say it was the NB1010s. I spent good money on them, and they felt absolutely awful, so I moved them to street shoes. After a few months, I tried skating them again and they were probably the best shoe I've ever used.

Same with the 1010s, shame it took me that long to get on board now they're my favorite chiller / skate shoe by a wide margin. I wanted to keep riding eS since Soletech is a core brand, but I was blown away at how good the suede and rubber on the 1010s were. Their sole could use some work, it feels slippery even when new, maybe a coating over the factory.

The Etnies Marana was another one, should have gone a 1/2 size up but they were killing my feet using them as chillers while on holiday and walking 14k steps a day. Coupled with fresh Mob and I felt like my ankle ligaments were being torn with every kickflip. Couldn't wait for them to die but after 3 weeks of skating they finally broke in and the Michelin sole last longer than any shoe. Right amount of puff and hidden lace loops were a big plus too.

Bronson G3s are another one, but only at the discounted price of under $20. At full MSRP Bones Reds can't be beat.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4617 on: February 16, 2024, 11:08:10 PM »
Was there a piece off gear you forced yourself to ride that ended up being for the better and that you stuck with? Like a shorter WB board or taper tail vs full, bigger wheels, etc..

Younger me:

Riding a board bigger than an 8.0" when my feet were already a US 10. Once I stopped skating small boards, I actually progressed better/faster. Will never skate anything smaller than an 8.38 ever again. Currently an 11-11.5, so it tracks

Current me:

Spitfire F4. I had such a bad taste of Spitfire for the longest time. Coolest looking brand but one of the worst quality pre-F4. I LOVED Bones STFs forever and believed in them until Oct 2020 I set my first set up. 99D Conical Full 54 and never looked back. I skate on F4s how I THOUGHT I skated on STFs. Everything just feels so much better then I expected on these.

Stubby tail Habitat and AWS in the last 6-7 years. The three decks with this shape skated really well and the tail didn't feel too short and stubby. Actually worked quite well. Can't say the same for WKND's standard 8.5 shape. That one felt terrible to me and it was a similar mold.
Super Champion Fun Zone

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4618 on: February 17, 2024, 12:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels

[close]

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
im a big boy @ 6’6
my shorty just said 35% torso and 65% leg
i think this is an appropriate sized board
looks right on camera
saw what skaters my height were skating and its all 32-33
so now its just a skill issue lol

im on 6.1 hollow lights but can switch to solid axle easy
151s in any configuration would be my next favorite
and ive tried almost everything
i like wide trucks and have big feet, admittedly biased

as for the dimensions, ill say it might be the wheelbase
i gotta agree that 14.25 works better than 14.125wb
something aint right there, maybe forged plates?
maybe just not enough landing room for me

sub 14.25 has always felt weird at a filmable speed
you should give 8.75/32/14.25 a try next
alien workshop (i dont think you should keep them alive)
might have you sorted with a shape
off the top of my head

seems like i gotta “test” both bones formulas to ever know
but ill start with x97 and if i cant blunt then its settled
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Banned from the room

« Reply #4619 on: February 17, 2024, 06:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I full agree. I didn't wanna fuck with NB but there's no option that I can see to the 808. Which I'm my opinion is the perfect skate shoe.
Sometimes you gotta put aside the pride and buy stuff you don't wanna to have good health.
I can honestly say that I'm 98% back. So long as snow isn't in the mail. Then slight discomfort.

I had to learn how to walk again when I was 21. Was on a cane a second time rowing around for 2 years when I was like 25 from a fucked up surgery on my ass bone from an injury that happened when I was like 15.
I gotta find every loop hole I can to keep rolling till my day of death. And I was being fucked by every other brands flat ass shoes.
Skating forever no matter what has always been the mission. And I've never been actually lost lost. I just got somewhat confused a month or 18.
I was always knowing I coming back.

I'm NEVER going to stop. Even if I gotta go full Signal Hill style and never bang my tail again. I'd be almost nothing with out the board nearby. I cannot do without.