Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 165663 times)

greerpark, Brad Wesley and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

from what I can tell the only the world name, logo, flameboy, wetwilly & devil man, are licensed out, with Dwindle keeping the rest of the library for other products.

Also, is it safe to make the assumption that the raw blanks I got from blankdecks.com with the same 2 stamp came from control? The last control board I got was from TGM, it was point with a mellow concave and a shorter wheelbase., no stamp, but the control sticker. This one had an 14..25 base with flat concave.
[close]

Interesting about World Industries.  They seem like they are putting out a lot of boards, but all up it might not be that many when compared to other brands by today's standards.

Re that pic and boards with number stamps

I would most likely have to say yes, but I really don't know much about them.  There are different numbers stamped on the boards, at least those known to be from Control woodshop.

The one Studio deck I had was a 3 and there is a pic on the first page from Rocklobster with a 6 which is interesting, but I don't know what they mean, be it the press or the shape, or even something else.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729112#msg3729112
[close]

I asked Control about the numbers, they indicate the mould that was used.

Thank you!

Much appreciated!

juniormint

• Rep: 140
Question for @mbrimson resident ornithologist, do you know the actual length and wheelbase of the AH white classic eagle? Getting conflicting reports between 14.62 wb x 32.5 and 14.75 x 32.75.

Much appreciated.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Question for @mbrimson resident ornithologist, do you know the actual length and wheelbase of the AH white classic eagle? Getting conflicting reports between 14.62 wb x 32.5 and 14.75 x 32.75.

Much appreciated.

Easy.

On paper (and the DLX web sites) these are the dimensions:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/

They are the standard DLX 8.75 shape, which is the 14.62 wb, so 8.75 x 32.75 length. 

The other standard DLX 8.62 shape has the longer 14.75 wb, so 8.62 x 32.56 in length.

From having a few of each, one thing to note, the 8.75 is definitely NOT that long (just over 32.5) and although wider at the shoulder where it is 8.75, it tapers down to slightly under 8.6 at the tail, but the 8.62 deck is straight right the way through and longer overall by a touch so more like 32.7, so I can understand how some measurements can be seen to be incorrect or different.

The 8.62 definitely feels like a bigger board overall to me, with the longer wheelbase and length in that shape, which is a curious thing, with the 8.75 feeling a bit more stubby and blunt in the kicks, especially looking at the nose, but just feels smaller overall and easier to throw around.

If you want bigger, then the 8.62 is going to do it for you, but if you want a bit more normal then the 8.75 will be easier all round.

I put the same everything on both and they still work fine, eg 159s with 56 classic full wheels, no overhang.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Much appreciated.

Also added it to the DLX shapes thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3756802#msg3756802

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
Girl / Chocolate - Dalian Hauhong

Completely different top to any other brand or company or woodshop.

Chocolate / China top

Girl / China top

how can you tell the difference between these and the PS Stix? especially since most PS boards has the logo etched on the top

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

how can you tell the difference between these and the PS Stix? especially since most PS boards has the logo etched on the top

I believe that the PS Stix Girl decks were a special one off more than anything else, with a few Pals getting them, but the majority of Girl boards before and after have all been the usual / current ones that come out of China.

Anything made by PS Stix always has the serial number, but often will have the brand logo or other information laser engraved in it as well.

PS wood has SN# PS09393 - 0930 on it too, always the PS(five digits, which refer to the batch number) - (four digits, which refer to the individual board number).

Here is the generic PS Stix top to show anyway.

Right this minute I don't have the pics of the Girl PS Stix boards in enough detail to show, but for reference, here are two others, a Toy Machine and a Welcome board.

Welcome PS Stix top

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:17:09 PM by Woodshop »

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
Picked up a couple of these Darkrooms on sale, pretty bummed theyre not BBS, but theyll probably be fine.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
Picked up a couple of these Darkrooms on sale, pretty bummed theyre not BBS, but theyll probably be fine.

is that shrink wrap or a plastic sleeve?
Plastic bags will have the made in china sticker on it sometimes because the sleeve itself is Chinese made.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
For Crailtap I see 3 versions
Fakes - popular in Asia, no top ply markings, old graphics from the mid 2010s
Legit Made In China - the ones that are mass distributed, better quality than the 2010s stuff, decent wood, love or hate it
PS Stix - for their smaller run stuff like Carroll's 7.5" reissue (2020) and Jeron Wilson's BLM (2021) deck, has the PS Stix laser etching but the top ply stain is dark so I can't see the wordings, zoom in on the decks on crailtap.com and you'll see the serial numbers

Expand Quote

[close]

Plastic bags will have the made in china sticker on it sometimes because the sleeve itself is Chinese made.

Where did you pick those up?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I did some digging, and turned up this info for you as well.

Slap Girl shapes thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84855.150

One of the boards that states PS Stix on it with pictures, but still not good enough to be able to see the top info.  Note the PS Stix warning sticker is usually a lot larger and above the text, which is also a good indication.

https://www.idealbirmingham.co.uk/products/girl-wilson-power-og-deck-8-5

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
Probably why they were on sale. That sucks for you and for us in a broader sense.

Fooj

Expand Quote

[close]

Good catch, its seems like a pretty fitted sleeve. Definitely feels stiffer and less stretchy than the normal BBS wrap, But not loose

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good catch, its seems like a pretty fitted sleeve. Definitely feels stiffer and less stretchy than the normal BBS wrap, But not loose

Is there no warning sticker actually on the deck itself, usually up around the front deck bolts area?  I know all the Darkroom decks I bought had very specific stickers and the red square sticker with board dimensions.

Also when you stand on it, does it have the BBS "spoon concave" to the kicks, or more generic flat faces?

But I am interested in where you are (Seattle or LA or elsewhere?) and where you got it too - that would help a whole lot.

Fooj

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Where did you pick those up?
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Is there no warning sticker actually on the deck itself, usually up around the front deck bolts area?  I know all the Darkroom decks I bought had very specific stickers and the red square sticker with board dimensions.

Also when you stand on it, does it have the BBS "spoon concave" to the kicks, or more generic flat faces?

But I am interested in where you are (Seattle or LA or elsewhere?) and where you got it too - that would help a whole lot.

Sad to say theyre from Zumiez, couldnt say no to what i thought was a $29.99 BBS. Theres no normal Warning sticker, and no red rectangle.  I dont think it was meant to be a PP deck since the orig was $59.99 but that could mean nothing.  Ive gotten 2 so far, so maybe the others will be different but i doubt it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Sad to say theyre from Zumiez, couldnt say no to what i thought was a $29.99 BBS. Theres no normal Warning sticker, and no red rectangle.  I dont think it was meant to be a PP deck since the orig was $59.99 but that could mean nothing.  Ive gotten 2 so far, so maybe the others will be different but i doubt it.

Looks like the generic "Made in China" boards strike again, but quite simply, skate it and see how it goes.

Is that just a smaller nail like punch in the front bolts area?

It does seem like a lot of brands are now going for two options, the pro boards still on the good wood and the pricepoint or more generic graphics on cheaper boards (cheaper for them and better margins that is) from China for the other more mainstream market and shops.

I am curious how it feels compared to the 35th decks from the other thread too, in concave and feel of the boards.

Fooj

Expand Quote

[close]

Looks like the generic "Made in China" boards strike again, but quite simply, skate it and see how it goes.

It does seem like a lot of brands are now going for two options, the pro boards still on the good wood and the pricepoint or more generic graphics on cheaper boards (cheaper for them and better margins that is) from China for the other more mainstream market and shops.

I am curious how it feels compared to the 35th decks from the other thread too, in concave and feel of the boards.

Concave seems pretty standard, not abrupt, kinked or too mellow. The kicks, particularly the nose feels steep but ill have to see this weekend when i get on it. And yea, its exactly like a nail hole in the top. Smaller hole hole than normal.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/siamese-snipe-skateboard-deck-8-0

Doesn't look like Darkroom does PP decks, even this listing proudly states
"Produced in the USA with the highest quality wood and most functional shapes, these are some of the most solid decks in the industry."

Could be COVID stock, definitely seen this same graphic on a few online retailers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
https://drkrminc.com/collections/decks/products/siamese-snipe-skateboard-deck-8-0

"Produced in the USA with the highest quality wood and most functional shapes, these are some of the most solid decks in the industry."

Could be COVID stock, definitely seen this same graphic on a few online retailers.

That always gets me when I see this sort of board (with Made in China sticker) as purchased in a shop and then the BBS stickers on the stock images from their own online store.

It is almost as if they are selling one thing to the mall stores and another thing online, but I wonder if you did order from their site, what would actually arrive.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote

[close]

That always gets me when I see this sort of board (with Made in China sticker) as purchased in a shop and then the BBS stickers on the stock images from their own online store.

It is almost as if they are selling one thing to the mall stores and another thing online, but I wonder if you did order from their site, what would actually arrive.

Something really odd going on here...the wrapping on the board is off, the darkroom sticker on the plastic is weird because it's usually in the wrap. Just seems really weird for a smaller company like Darkroom to even bother to do a different print run on china wood when they had BBS for the same graphic. I guess it's possible but this random made in china is kinda strange. Does it feel/look/smell like BBS?

Normally looks like this.
https://super-shop.com/i302693-darkroom-siamese-snipe-deck-blue-purple-orange

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
could be Zumiez worked out a deal with a Chinese factory to get boards faster. Mall/dept stores do it with clothing companies.

Zumiez gives the brand a lump sum up front. Then they use their own supply chain, to produce and ship products. They'd be ordering 10s of thousands, maybe 100k boards in one order so they could negotiate better terms. That'd save production cost, and give a higher profit margin.

This is done with clothes, and other goods, so Id imagine skate decks as well. Of course, this is wild speculation

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
could be Zumiez worked out a deal with a Chinese factory to get boards faster. Mall/dept stores do it with clothing companies.

Zumiez gives the brand a lump sum up front. Then they use their own supply chain, to produce and ship products. They'd be ordering 10s of thousands, maybe 100k boards in one order so they could negotiate better terms. That'd save production cost, and give a higher profit margin.

This is done with clothes, and other goods, so Id imagine skate decks as well. Of course, this is wild speculation

That is kinda wild, but I was thinking the same that basically perhaps it's counterfeit or under licence. Just going on the picture, the printing looks a little off in the colours, not as Sharpe and bright (but that might just be the picture).
Just seems really at odds with Darkrooms whole thing, but hey what do I know.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal

For larger faster moving brands like a Baker that would make sense that Zumiez would go direct to a China factory, but Darkroom is a niche brand with limited marketing appeal, so they would be stuck with their thousands of decks for a long time.

Anyone willing to order 1 more from Zumiez to see if the Made in China was 1 off?

This made in China thing seems like grounds for getting a refund or replacement - since Darkroom claims its "MADE IN USA" and is missing the top stickers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fooj

I’ll take some un wrapped pics of the graphic side when I get home from work. The screening is definitely less glossy and more flat than more decks I’ve had recently.

If anyone actually wants one I have a good amount still to be delivered, just shoot me a dm

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
I’ll take some un wrapped pics of the graphic side when I get home from work. The screening is definitely less glossy and more flat than more decks I’ve had recently.

If anyone actually wants one I have a good amount still to be delivered, just shoot me a dm

How many did you buy???
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fooj

Expand Quote

[close]

How many did you buy???

Unfortunately picked up 10. I mainly skate ledges and go through a deck every 2-3 weeks if the weathers good. These were going to be my supply for the spring/summer

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

So even the Zumiez listing clearly shows the BBS sticker and info.

https://www.zumiez.com/darkroom-siamese-snipe-8-0-skateboard-deck.html

Half price for something half as good?

I guess the only way to really find out is to set it up and skate it.

https://scene7.zumiez.com/is/image/zumiez/product_main_medium_2x/Darkroom-Siamese-Snipe-8.0%22-Skateboard-Deck-_172396-alt1-CA.jpg

Fooj

Wrote them a long email with all the documentation. Hoping for the best but expecting nothing. I guess well see.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Wrote them a long email with all the documentation. Hoping for the best but expecting nothing. I guess well see.

Feels like we're The Secret Seven / Famous Five / Harriet the Spy cracking the case of the China Darkroom.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
Expand Quote

[close]

to be fair we have had Darkrooms that are genuine BBS and some are China wood, but price staying the same.

on the flip side, we do get Maxallure and Paterson boards that are 100% made just for Zumiez, china made and the dimensions are wild. we have some 8.5 Max’s that are 30” long. comparing it to actual Max boards, this might just seem to be the deal they have made with Zumiez.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

to be fair we have had Darkrooms that are genuine BBS and some are China wood, but price staying the same.

on the flip side, we do get Maxallure and Paterson boards that are 100% made just for Zumiez, china made and the dimensions are wild. we have some 8.5 Max’s that are 30” long. comparing it to actual Max boards, this might just seem to be the deal they have made with Zumiez.

Are Maxallure exclusive to Zumiez? Definitely seen them at 303.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m