Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
480 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 672

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157327 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Expand Quote

I'm in Europe. My distro got the first run of the Metal boards in. I ordered a few but now I wonder if they will be BBS or HLC. Because Habitat seems to deal with HLC when it comes to the Euro market.
I hope it's not HLC, my last Sour board was kinda meh.
[close]

Habitat is not pressed / distributed by HLC anymore (and it's been a few years)
HLC pressed boards are great anyway
maybe you didn't pick the right shape

i can't confirm this, but i heard they have better decks now. my experience with hlc was absolutely terrible all the time apart from one antiz deck i had, and i'm not sure that was hlc cause it felt very different and had a much different shape, too.

shape's were never a problem, just all around bad boards with no pop i broke after mere days.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
From the 2019 thread. Antiz uses Chinese wood but also bounces around to fit needs

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103057.30

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm in Europe. My distro got the first run of the Metal boards in. I ordered a few but now I wonder if they will be BBS or HLC. Because Habitat seems to deal with HLC when it comes to the Euro market.
I hope it's not HLC, my last Sour board was kinda meh.
[close]

Habitat is not pressed / distributed by HLC anymore (and it's been a few years)
HLC pressed boards are great anyway
maybe you didn't pick the right shape
[close]

i can't confirm this, but i heard they have better decks now. my experience with hlc was absolutely terrible all the time apart from one antiz deck i had, and i'm not sure that was hlc cause it felt very different and had a much different shape, too.

shape's were never a problem, just all around bad boards with no pop i broke after mere days.
[close]

I still couldn't get a straight answer regarding Antiz decks when I asked, but I believe they were from an unknown woodshop in China, as others have said before, either on here or in talking to them via other means.

Given their European beginnings I thought they would have been HLC, but apparently not.

I could easily be wrong though.

Definitely made in a random China woodshop, Antiz skate stuff can be readily found on Taobao (China's Amazon), alongside their other local brands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 10
another notable thing about PS stix boards is that they are wider at the front truck and narrower at the back truck (weird V shape)

I've got two 8.625 Quasi decks and both taper from back to front.That is, the deck is narrower at the front bolts on both the boards. The nose looks narrower than the tail too. I checked the nose and tail lengths to make sure I didn't have them ass around.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
another notable thing about PS stix boards is that they are wider at the front truck and narrower at the back truck (weird V shape)
[close]

I've got two 8.625 Quasi decks and both taper from back to front.That is, the deck is narrower at the front bolts on both the boards. The nose looks narrower than the tail too. I checked the nose and tail lengths to make sure I didn't have them ass around.

Not quite the same thing, but I wonder sometimes if boards are cut or shaped the wrong way, given the nose and tail concave are different, so they will end up feeling weird, even if the shorter kick is still the tail, but the nose is actually the kick you want to skate, as per a couple of boards I had a while back now, which everyone said felt like they were the wrong way round.

Graphics printed upside down is not a worry, but I have seen a few of those too.

As for that shape, are they supposed to be straight through, or the usual PS Stix / Quasi taper front to back, or are those boards something else? 

More curious than anything, but how do they feel if you stand on them / skate them the other way?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Another one that was not on the list.

First one from me  ;D kind of older one:
Robotron (German brand/HLC Wood) 8.2x32,1 WB:14.25 N:7.1 T:6.75 mellow concave, full kicks
Indy hollow standard 144
52mm Classics, worn down to ca. 50mm
Reds
Jessup Ultra
Indy Hardware

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Expand Quote
[close]

I just got an 8.125 Quasi and it's true to size at the back bolts and 1/16 narrower at the front. Not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't measured.

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 10
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not quite the same thing, but I wonder sometimes if boards are cut or shaped the wrong way, given the nose and tail concave are different, so they will end up feeling weird, even if the shorter kick is still the tail, but the nose is actually the kick you want to skate, as per a couple of boards I had a while back now, which everyone said felt like they were the wrong way round.

Graphics printed upside down is not a worry, but I have seen a few of those too.

As for that shape, are they supposed to be straight through, or the usual PS Stix / Quasi taper front to back, or are those boards something else? 

More curious than anything, but how do they feel if you stand on them / skate them the other way?

It feels comfortable to skate either way. The pop is noticeably different, due to the nose being steeper than the tail. Overall, I like the feel of the deck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I was looking through something the other day and came across these guys again. 

For anyone keen on USA made skateboards, as well as the option to make custom molds to do pretty much whatever concave, size, shape, etc.  Sounds like a good thing for board shapes that are no longer being made but were exactly what you wanted.

Empire Skateboard MFG
USA
http://empireskatemfg.com/
https://www.instagram.com/empireskateboardmfg/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPUijkmFgRX/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdKWrpEsNWk/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just got an 8.125 Quasi and it's true to size at the back bolts and 1/16 narrower at the front. Not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't measured.

I have a 8.125 GX1000 deck (same shape as Quasi IIRC) and it doesn't seem to taper at all though I haven't measured to be sure.. Nose seems pretty fat (like Alien/Habitat, not FA). Does it taper slightly at the front bolts and then get wider again at the nose? I misplaced my measuring tape somehow so I can't check myself.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbvc4FKJNdw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

@Woodshop drifter has a post that also claimed to have made this shape.

What board is this? Anyone know the specs of this board?

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a 8.125 GX1000 deck (same shape as Quasi IIRC) and it doesn't seem to taper at all though I haven't measured to be sure.. Nose seems pretty fat (like Alien/Habitat, not FA). Does it taper slightly at the front bolts and then get wider again at the nose? I misplaced my measuring tape somehow so I can't check myself.

Yup, sounds like the same shape from that description.

Mine does not get wider at the nose. It actually tapers to 8.0 about one inch in front of the front bolts where the nose begins to curve up.

The widest (8.125) section of the board is from the inner back bolts to about the middle of the board, at which point it tapers very slightly towards the nose.

Kinda weird, but I love the shape

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy

@Woodshop drifter has a post that also claimed to have made this shape.

What board is this? Anyone know the specs of this board?

Yes, I had to do a double take as well, but it looks like the owner of that board wanted more of that exact shape and had sent it around to get it specially made for him.

So awesome that the guy from Empire woodshop actually bought a fresh one to get the actual shape, as the board the guy had was fairly worn out so they could not map it out correctly too.

It is the DLX original Full shape, 8.75 x 32.86 with a 14.7 wb, 7.25 nose and 6.65 tail on the one I have.  The thing is a beast.  So big and so squared off, but a pretty good size, shape, etc for people who need a bigger overall ride.

There is an old listing for that exact board here, but the listed wheelbase is wrong on that one:

https://www.slamcity.com/products/anti-hero-8-75-grosso-plastics-full-skateboard-deck

They have the best pics on that site too.

The old info was here, with pic below too:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

This was the one I have:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLvkli_FuRg/

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 09:29:02 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
Anyone familiar with this brand? “Mob”?
Looks like they’re a German company but no idea where they’re pressed

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image

Chinese woodshop

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
Expand Quote

[close]

Chinese woodshop

Thanks!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Chinese woodshop
[close]

Thanks!

when a german brand doesn't explicitly state they use na/mexico woodshops like generator/bbs or ps stix then they most likely use excel or another chinese woodshop, or hlc.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Chinese woodshop
[close]

Thanks!
[close]

when a german brand doesn't explicitly state they use na/mexico woodshops like generator/bbs or ps stix then they most likely use excel or another chinese woodshop, or hlc.

It must have been from a previous woodshop thread, but I was thinking that Mob Skateboards had been brought up before too.

Might have been confusing it with Trap Skateboards, but they all seemed to be "unknown" from one of the blank board resellers in country there, which as said all used woodshops from China.

I might just have to add them to the list with "unknown" on them, if nothing more than to have the brand name there.

Checked and they were through MDCN or Quarter Dist, from what others had said in previous threads.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Chinese woodshop
[close]

Thanks!
[close]

[close]

It must have been from a previous woodshop thread, but I was thinking that Mob Skateboards had been brought up before too.

Might have been confusing it with Trap Skateboards, but they all seemed to be "unknown" from one of the blank board resellers in country there, which as said all used woodshops from China.

I might just have to add them to the list with "unknown" on them, if nothing more than to have the brand name there.

yeah, sometimes they used to say stuff like "this is made in the same factory as girl decks!" i could see that, those were already chinese made at that point as well. and i think no one knew for the longest time where.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

yeah, sometimes they used to say stuff like "this is made in the same factory as girl decks!" i could see that, those were already chinese made at that point as well. and i think no one knew for the longest time where.

Ha yeah, lots of places still use that line, or the more common "Our boards come from the same factory as all the world's biggest brands" which is an instant giveaway, because usually it is not wood or concave I recognise by feel and there are quite a few woodshops that supply ALL the worlds biggest brands, so I just smile and nod and think "You just got another generic board from an unknown woodshop in China" or something similar.

Not a worry though, as a lot of those places do actually make decent boards nowdays, but if you can't actually give a woodshop name or any other info, you are just another dodgy salesman in my eyes.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
So anyone got the goss on Prime?  I'm ordering a Vallely Barnyard & Sticker-o-rama from them and saw that they do blanks or custom heat transfers on their shapes, and wanna get a Barnyard to ride with something printed on it.  Are they good boards? Are they kinda shady?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
So anyone got the goss on Prime?  I'm ordering a Vallely Barnyard & Sticker-o-rama from them and saw that they do blanks or custom heat transfers on their shapes, and wanna get a Barnyard to ride with something printed on it.  Are they good boards? Are they kinda shady?

A few guys here in Australia had some of their shaped blanks a while back and they were good solid boards.

Not sure exactly where they got them, but they went in on a bulk order from a US shop and were happy with their purchase - a few slightly different shapes from 8.6 to 9.1 or so, if I recall correctly.

I don't know much else about them, besides having a go on these ones, which felt pretty good, about middle of the pack in terms of concave, feel of kicks, not flat but not steep either, etc.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

A few guys here in Australia had some of their shaped blanks a while back and they were good solid boards.

Not sure exactly where they got them, but they went in on a bulk order from a US shop and were happy with their purchase - a few slightly different shapes from 8.6 to 9.1 or so, if I recall correctly.

I don't know much else about them, besides having a go on these ones, which felt pretty good, about middle of the pack in terms of concave, feel of kicks, not flat but not steep either, etc.

Rad thanks.  Yeah, i'm buying 2 decks from them and it seems it's a fixed shipping rate so looking to add a couple of riders in there, and have always wanted to ride that Barnyard shape.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
I really enjoyed this Joey Pepper Politic deck, but since riding it my board favored turning in one direction HARD. I assumed it was the bushings and kept skating it. Turns out the holes were drilled over 1/4 of an inch off and at an angle. This is my first South Central deck, I've only boughten DLX decks. Is this a common issue with South Central? The shape and wood were really nice... I would have loved to skate it more, but now that I know it's the issue, I've swapped it out.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
I really enjoyed this Joey Pepper Politic deck, but since riding it my board favored turning in one direction HARD. I assumed it was the bushings and kept skating it. Turns out the holes were drilled over 1/4 of an inch off and at an angle. This is my first South Central deck, I've only boughten DLX decks. Is this a common issue with South Central? The shape and wood were really nice... I would have loved to skate it more, but now that I know it's the issue, I've swapped it out.

I've skated several 5boro boards which are also on South Central and I've never encountered this issue.  I too really enjoy SC wood. I've got a politic 8.5 on ice right now that I'm going to check once I get home though now that you've brought this to light.

Get hungry on it!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872

Not a common issue but I'm not surprised either. Rumor has it that SC uses..  how can I put this?.. "unskilled labor". The kind that the state provides. This let's them keep their costs down enough to be one of the last USA woodshops and maybe the biggest one in terms of capacity, but if it's true then it's safe to say the guys doing the work probably don't skate and wouldn't be able to spot this kinda thing.

That being said, I've had probably 40-50 SC decks and never had an issue. If you liked the wood and shape but want to support a small but rad company then Politic or DOA standard use the same mold👍

pennswood

• Rep: 20
Typical of the posts I see in this thread. The last couple posts are complete BS. neither one of you have any real knowledge about what's going on in two family owned and operated woodshops. We both, SC and PW, have been making boards in the US for over twenty years. Both have a staff of employees who have kids to feed and have just gone through two of the toughest years we've had so far. How do you make posts of complete made up stories concerning our employment and do it with complete confidence that you are correct? The reason we are both still in business is because we care about our product and employees.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I have seen occasional boards with holes drilled incorrectly, but very few and far between.  Guessing it happens though.

That would be a valid warranty claim right there, either through the shop you bought it from or the board brand if the shop was not able to help you.

As to other things, being on a different continent, I have nothing to add but I would say places who are essentially "small business" usually have core staff and skateboard manufacturing seems like something that you can't just get any random person in to do.

A friend used to make boards well over twenty years ago and I helped a bit with that and there is no way anyone without a clue could do much of that.

As to information about woodshops, I created this thread to help with listing information more than anything, so any input is valued in that regard.  What I also understand is that Slap is a "Wild West" of a message board at times so in saying that, what is acceptable and what is not?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Re South Central woodshop

Is it just me or some businesses / woodshops just don't have a lot of information out there?

I had another look over their web page, looked up other various things and although there is some information, there is not a whole lot compared to other places.

South Central (est 1992)
USA
http://www.skateboardmfg.com/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/southcentralwoodshop/

These look good though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFJn4VQEnMr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBWhzbol-WF/

Boog

• Rep: 190
Typical of the posts I see in this thread. The last couple posts are complete BS. neither one of you have any real knowledge about what's going on in two family owned and operated woodshops. We both, SC and PW, have been making boards in the US for over twenty years. Both have a staff of employees who have kids to feed and have just gone through two of the toughest years we've had so far. How do you make posts of complete made up stories concerning our employment and do it with complete confidence that you are correct? The reason we are both still in business is because we care about our product and employees.
Just a bunch of know-it-all dipshits on this message board for the most part. Respect for responding and letting people know what's up.