Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172883 times)

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 258
Hey all! First time poster, but longtime lurker of this thread.

Some info on Quasi. I emailed the mothership and asked about PS/BBS. They said they'd be using both woodshops for the foreseeable future and had no intention to switch to BBS completely.

"We don’t ever plan on fully switching. We want to be able to offer both wood shops consistently. There are people who love PS and people who love BBS, so we want to offer both!"

Also, another one for the list. Washington, D.C. local brand Vicio Skateboards get their decks from Pennswood.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279

The drilling problems do happen.
I’m not posting this to stir shit up because the companies involved are making things right but sometimes quality control takes a day off :)

That's a huge bummer.   I had that deck when it first came out and it was one of my favorites of the time.  I had a year starting  summer of '90 where I think 4 of the 6 decks I had were G&S.   Had this deck been released as a daily driver (under  $80) I would have picked one up, but I didn't want to spend the $150 go thrash it.  Big disappointment to see that on a deck this expensive.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
What wood shop does H-Street use?
[close]

Legend
https://www.instagram.com/legend_skateboards/?hl=en
https://legend94.bigcartel.com/

Some info on Quasi. I emailed the mothership and asked about PS/BBS. They said they'd be using both woodshops for the foreseeable future and had no intention to switch to BBS completely.

"We don’t ever plan on fully switching. We want to be able to offer both wood shops consistently. There are people who love PS and people who love BBS, so we want to offer both!"

Also, another one for the list. Washington, D.C. local brand Vicio Skateboards get their decks from Pennswood.

Thanks!!!

Added / corrected the listings for these things.

Always stoked to have more relevant or up to date info on any woodshop or brand.

It all helps anyone else who is wanting more info as well.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!!!

Added / corrected the listings for these things.

Always stoked to have more relevant or up to date info on any woodshop or brand.

It all helps anyone else who is wanting more info as well.

Thank you for putting all of this together!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Evo/ATS (All Together Skates) shop decks are BBS, and the ATS decks have artwork by skateboarding designer Sasha Barr.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image

Sour is distributed by baker boys now, I wonder if they will change HLC for BBS.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Sour is distributed by baker boys now, I wonder if they will change HLC for BBS.

Interesting!!!

For some brands that have more of a license agreement, I could see that happening, so for some countries or distributors, or various parts of the world, local distros do the licensed graphics of a brand on whatever wood they have available, or they have preference of using.

For others like Theories of Atlantis distro, they had three or four different woodshops for the different brands that were under their distribution if I can remember, besides their own brands on BBS, then Clutch and then BBS again, there was Studio on Control and Evisen on Dwindle.

Could go either way really, but I think they would be more likely to keep their existing production line for that one.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Sometimes when you stumble across something pretty cool, it is interesting to see and share.

Not sure how many boards he has made, but even if this guy presses boards only occasionally and cuts out cool shapes from uncut blanks, it is pretty rad.

https://www.instagram.com/ory_skateboards/

ory skateboards
skateboards' shaper from Nantes, France
Fabrication artisanale de Skateboards, Nantes
DM pour infos
#homemadeskateboards #handmadeskateboard

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
Just messaged Highwater Skateboards out of New England because I noticed they weren't on the list.  They very promptly let me know that they use South Central wood.

Looks like they use Dylan Goldberger pretty much exclusively for graphics.
https://www.instagram.com/dylanjg/

Get hungry on it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Thanks!

They are amazing graphics from that guy.

Not often I think I would get a board just for the graphic to put on a wall, but these are definitely up there.

Just hard to choose one post to put up here, but this will be a good start.  Check out the rest of his pics if you have a minute, as they are worth it.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal

Thanks!

Not often I think I would get a board just for the graphic to put on a wall, but these are definitely up there.

Just hard to choose one post to put up here, but this will be a good start.  Check out the rest of his pics if you have a minute, as they are worth it.

Oh yeah I'm familiar with him and enjoy his work as well, really liked the run he did with Coda.  Also stoked that Highwater uses South Central because I like their wood too.  Don't get their boards around my area but they pop up on Parade alot.

Get hungry on it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

Thanks!

[close]

Oh yeah I'm familiar with him and enjoy his work as well, really liked the run he did with Coda.  Also stoked that Highwater uses South Central because I like their wood too.  Don't get their boards around my area but they pop up on Parade alot.

Maybe I had seen the Coda boards before, but it definitely stands out (how good they all are).

A few other graphics he has done all could go on a wall very easily too.  Probably a good thing I don't have access to any of those boards, but at least I can see all the pictures and enjoy them like that.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Hey @Woodshop

HLC press boards for Rassvet
And Plan B should now be HLC worldwide (not only boards for Europe)

Bror

• Rep: 23
Welcome boards still on bbs?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 234
Welcome boards still on bbs?

I just got the new Nora and it is BBS

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Hey @Woodshop

HLC press boards for Rassvet
And Plan B should now be HLC worldwide (not only boards for Europe)

Thanks for the update - always appreciated.

Added / changed that on the main listings now.

I recall somewhere people asking about Rassvet and someone also questioned the name Paccbet, guessing the translation and letters from the RU / Cyrillic alphabet, so I added the listing like this:

Rassvet Paccbet   ……….   ……….   HLC

If it should just be one or the other, or something else, please let me know.  Some other listings I have both in there, such as DOA and D.O.A. as it has caused confusion before when people have searched specific words.

Radim

• Rep: 12
I really enjoyed this Joey Pepper Politic deck, but since riding it my board favored turning in one direction HARD. I assumed it was the bushings and kept skating it. Turns out the holes were drilled over 1/4 of an inch off and at an angle. This is my first South Central deck, I've only boughten DLX decks. Is this a common issue with South Central? The shape and wood were really nice... I would have loved to skate it more, but now that I know it's the issue, I've swapped it out.

I had experinced off drilled holes on the tail side of my 5Boro Nohara. Shape great, wood stiff , Light,  deck hold its pop. However wood seemed a bit overdryed like DSM zeros, and I experienced nose chipping. Compared to DSM pop lasted longer.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Anyone know what woodshop Blast is using now that Gnosis is gone?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I had a look through posts since Feb 22 and this one says they went in to visit the guys at Quarter Dist, so maybe they have gone with them for now or for good. Quarter Dist have them on their brands list, so most likely using Quarter for wood and distribution which should get them a little more coverage too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

The other one on the Gnosis list I had was Clown Skateboards, so after checking, they are now through Mind Dist, which uses Clutch wood.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a look through posts since Feb 22 and this one says they went in to visit the guys at Quarter Dist, so maybe they have gone with them for now or for good. Quarter Dist have them on their brands list, so most likely using Quarter for wood and distribution which should get them a little more coverage too.

Cheers. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of Quarter Distribution before or most of their brands. Never skated a board from them. Based on their website it seems that they import blank decks from China and then print them in Germany.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
Hey @Woodshop highwater skateboards are pressed by south central.

Get hungry on it!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of Quarter Distribution before or most of their brands. Never skated a board from them. Based on their website it seems that they import blank decks from China and then print them in Germany.

Yeah it was a curious one, but like other distribution business models I am familiar with here in AU, they bring in blanks from somewhere (China or other) and then print whatever people want on them, usually catering to smaller DIY type brands that have low minimums and can do some boards here and some there, as well as shop boards, or even some more well known brands.

It would be a big plus for them to get something like Blast as a brand, as they have such a good following and lots of people want their boards, as well as Blast having better distribution through that business, compared to someone just doing it themselves from their home.

Either way some of those new board shapes (like the one posted in the 9+ boards thread) look pretty damn good, so it would be interesting if anyone has tried them, to get back with their thoughts on the wood.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Too distracted by the rad graphics!!!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Everything should be updated now with all relevant info.

I have still a lot of pics and the old threads to go through to get more of the board pics up on the first page though.

Forgot to say thanks earlier too.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal

Everything should be updated now with all relevant info.

I have still a lot of pics and the old threads to go through to get more of the board pics up on the first page though.

Expand Quote
[close]

Forgot to say thanks earlier too.
No problem, happy to contribute!

Get hungry on it!

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
Do all Alien workshop and habitat 8.25 decks have the same measurements?

And how do I know if it’s bbs or a dwindle one in Europe ?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Do all Alien workshop and habitat 8.25 decks have the same measurements?

And how do I know if it’s bbs or a dwindle one in Europe ?

Maybe more so just from the pandemic times, but I think all AWS and Habitat boards now are BBS and have been for a year or so, as they had upped production and doing worldwide distribution now, from what others were saying.

The BBS boards usually have "Made in Mexico" on the sticker and the other ones have "Made in China" or at least any I have seen are like that.

If you are unable to go into a shop, the best thing to do is call or message them and ask if they have a "Made in" sticker.

As for size, I think the BBS boards, as per their website, were all that width x 32.25 with 14.2 wb or so.  They have long squared or blunt shaped kicks on all their boards now.

https://www.alienworkshop.com/

https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/dot-wave-8-25

Click for bigger image

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I found this interesting to see, regarding different woodshops being used for the same brand, as per posts in the Setup thread.

To make it easier I separated the quotes so the text is all the same size.

As mentioned a dot or dimple in the wood is not so much the indication of which woodshop as anyone can stamp a board, but between the concave and more so the "Made in" sticker with where ever it came from being the easiest way to determine the woodshop.

Thanks to those guys for this info too.

Primitive 8.38 (sticker said made in China but top ply has bbs dimple)

I ordered two Primitive decks from their two-for-$80 sale and both of mine are like this. Sticker says “China” but has what I understood to be the BBS dimple. For legal reasons, the sticker is more likely to be correct than the dimple guesswork assembled on Slap, so I assume that more than one manufacturer puts a dimple on their boards. Either way I absolutely love that deck.

ive had a couple primitives this year, had this same deck actually. same dimple, same 'made in china' label and it sogged out within a week. so i assumed it was sub par chinese board. i was gutted as i really liked the shape. the bbs was also an 8.38 but the dims on the sticker were different to the chinese one. primitive are really hit and miss in the uk atm. there are some bbs floating around but alot of these china mades too same as toy machine, zero etc. too much of a risk/hassle to mail order. went back to crail decks as i know what im getting.

Curious if those boards have similar concave, or different concave, eg BBS has spoon like concave, especially in the kicks, but the other boards are usually much more flat on the kicks, same as most other woodshops on the market.

Also are you guys meaning a dimple as in a blunt instrument dot (BBS usually has about a 3mm wide dot) or more a nail mark in the wood?

Not a worry any which way, but it is interesting to me, given I am not about to see any of those boards in person, but am quite familiar with the different concaves, board markings, etc, as per the first page on the woodshop thread.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Specific BBS pics

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729106#msg3729106

Thanks.

i found the chinese primitive was hella flat, both the concave and the kicks completely different to the bbs primitive i had. the dot looked as if someone had pushed a dot punch into the top ply between the bolt holes (more likely to be a machine made when lifting off the drill press tho.)