Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157394 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
How would I know if a Quasi deck is pressed by BBS or PS when shopping online?

Check the specific graphics on the Quasi website, they list BBS / PS Stix on the product listing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
Expand Quote
How would I know if a Quasi deck is pressed by BBS or PS when shopping online?
[close]

Check the specific graphics on the Quasi website, they list BBS / PS Stix on the product listing.

Thanks, appreciate it!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 05:24:59 AM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -172
Has anyone skated the large Alva pool decks?  How do they ride?  I'm so curious but never seen one at a shop or in the wild with me.  Dont think I've ever skated a Watson board either

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Has anyone skated the large Alva pool decks?  How do they ride?  I'm so curious but never seen one at a shop or in the wild with me.  Dont think I've ever skated a Watson board either

I have a few Dogtown boards that were made by Watson and they are solid.

The wood seems thicker than average, but not so thick that they look like a cheap department store board, very minimal concave besides the tail, but that can easily change from board to board, decent quality and those things last for ages.

Some of the Alva boards are a bit on the weird side, but they should have length, wheelbase and hopefully any other info or decent pics if you can't see them in person.

Don't know of that many shops that stock a lot of them, usually because the market for them is pretty limited but they are fun as a cruiser or work well enough as a normal board if you like that sort of thing too.

If it is the Pool Crusher as per info and pic below, they are a beast, but from the Alva Skates link, Tony still shreds that board, so I think it would work nicely on Indy 215s and whatever big wheels go on them, eg 60mm 90 duro for softer wheels or any big fat ones in a 60mm 99s like Radial Full or similar.

I just added more info down the bottom too - seems like these particular ones are steep concave and all that, but others I have seen are almost dead flat besides the tail kick.  Maybe a little too much info, but I like to look it up and see what is out there as well.

A couple of links:

https://alva-skates.com/

https://socalskateshop.com/Alva-Skateboards.html

Edit:

I meant to put in a couple of specific "Alva Pool deck" links too, so here you go, both have some interesting info and pics, not at all meant as a where to buy, but finding a shop or page that has some good info that is worth looking at is more what I had in mind:

https://socalskateshop.com/Alva-Power-Station-Double-Diamond-Pool-Crusher-Skateboard-Deck-Blue-11x34.html

https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/alva-skates-double-diamond-pool-crusher-deck-11-x-34-blue/

And this one with all the specs

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/alva-double-diamond-pool-crusher-skateboard-deck-11-x-34--1625-wb-old-skool-sky-blue-26990-p.asp

11" x 34"
6.25" nose
7.75" tail
16.25" WB (measured from inside to inside holes)
Deep concave
Front & Rear Wheel wells
Sharp top edges
Drilled for new hole trucks
Width over front trucks : 10.5"
Width over rear trucks : 10"

One of the biggest boards I've ever seen.  If you want a little extra width, wheelbase & tail then this is for you.  It's got plenty of nose for switch moves, a huge tail, width in buckets, deep concave and wheel wells...what else could you possibly want?
It doesn't look that big in the pictures but at 34" x 11" believe me it is.
It is part of the co-lab with Alva & Pool King Skateboards.
It has deep concave, a steep nose, wheelwells and a really big steep tail. The top edges are squared rather than rounded. This makes it feel even wider, than it already is, and gives great deck feel. (I love sharp edges on a deck).
For the biggest old skool riders, still rolling, this is the answer if regular boards are just too twitchy round the bowl.
The brainchild of Tony Alva, also known as "The Pool Crusher", has the distinction of being featured in Skateboarder Mag’s “All-Time Favourite Boards”.

It is long enough to also make a sick tech downhill slide board.

Set-up Advice:
Trucks: Indy 215s, Tracker Dart 184s, Bullet 185s or narrower trucks (169s) if you are going to use extra wide wheels.
Wheels: Alva "Conical"
..or your favourite modern wheels, keep them around the 60mm mark with this beast though!
Transport Wheels: OJ ""Super Juice"

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 07:30:29 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -172
Thank you so much for the info, awesome!

Liggerz87

• Rep: 1
Native skate store in Newcastle use control wood Canada for there boards and they apply the graphic themselves

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I kinda hate how almost every brand nowadays offers price point shit. even DLX does it. Does anyone know what the deal is with those "Support your local skateshop" boards they put out? i had one and it was definintely complete trash compared to the anti hero i got the following month.

I like how Frog seems like they have only ever used BBS since day 1 and just sticking to their guns, dont put out any price point bullshit, dont jump ship on the shops , dont do collabo boards etc. any other companies that could be added to this list that has ONLY EVER used BBS and doesnt stray? i know a lot of the smaller new ones like Adored, Chico Stix etc. would likely be good bets too.

i dont like toy machine boards because you dont evne know what the fuck you are getting unless you really know your shit. You could be getting a complete china board. i think if you go with a pro board, for the most part is a safe bet. but i hate having to guess.

i dont like how Quasi is using a mix of PS and BBS. i think that is a recipe for disaster. maybe their fanbase is a higher iq and more willing to research the woodshop their board is coming from before buying it. but i fucking doubt it. i feel like kids are gonna get a board, be stoked on it, get another one, and have a completley different experiuence the next time and wonder why. this is branding 101. whne they made mcdonalds the idea was the burger tastes the same no matter which one you go to across amerikkka. i dont think they are making a wise play trying to reinvent the wheelbase on this one.
ONTARIO CANADA

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
I kinda hate how almost every brand nowadays offers price point shit. even DLX does it. Does anyone know what the deal is with those "Support your local skateshop" boards they put out? i had one and it was definintely complete trash compared to the anti hero i got the following month.

I like how Frog seems like they have only ever used BBS since day 1 and just sticking to their guns, dont put out any price point bullshit, dont jump ship on the shops , dont do collabo boards etc. any other companies that could be added to this list that has ONLY EVER used BBS and doesnt stray? i know a lot of the smaller new ones like Adored, Chico Stix etc. would likely be good bets too.

i dont like toy machine boards because you dont evne know what the fuck you are getting unless you really know your shit. You could be getting a complete china board. i think if you go with a pro board, for the most part is a safe bet. but i hate having to guess.

i dont like how Quasi is using a mix of PS and BBS. i think that is a recipe for disaster. maybe their fanbase is a higher iq and more willing to research the woodshop their board is coming from before buying it. but i fucking doubt it. i feel like kids are gonna get a board, be stoked on it, get another one, and have a completley different experiuence the next time and wonder why. this is branding 101. whne they made mcdonalds the idea was the burger tastes the same no matter which one you go to across amerikkka. i dont think they are making a wise play trying to reinvent the wheelbase on this one.

https://quasiskateboards.com/collections/frontpage/products/euro-phade-complete-8

Not entirely related but I just realized Quasi does beginner completes, the trucks look like Tensor alloys that come from DSM, wouldn't be surprised if the deck was from there too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254

To be fair to Quasi, they list the woodshop for every deck in every drop on their website. It's right there along with the other specs. Most skate shops also list PS or BBS in the specs for Quasi boards.

I totally get what you're saying, but I think for the Quasi situation it's pretty easy to figure out what board is from what woodshop.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
8.25 decks that are under 32 length with 14“ wb and fuller nose?

Edit: GO27 decks I just saw.
Or primitive. But do they really come in slightly different shapes with 8.25?

Somehow not hyped on April decks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:41:52 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Primitive and April are shorter boards, sometimes a bit more square, but not always.

Going to extremes, FA or Hockey boards are 8.25 x 31.79 with 14.12 wb and they definitely have full noses.

Generally PS Stix boards have a wider more blunt nose and even though they might be listed as 32+ it is usually measured with the concave, where everything is measured flat across so they come in under 32 more often than not, often around 31.8 which is a fair size for most 8.25 boards in general with 14.25 or so wheelbases.

Do you have a local shop or two you can get into or only shopping online?

If only online there are some shops that tend to list boards more accurately as well as do their own pics, but I will more often than not check multiple shops for dimensions and shapes if I haven't seen them in person.

Sometimes that can be very annoying if they just don't have good top pics.

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote

[close]

Primitive and April are shorter boards, sometimes a bit more square, but not always.

Going to extremes, FA or Hockey boards are 8.25 x 31.79 with 14.12 wb and they definitely have full noses.

Generally PS Stix boards have a wider more blunt nose and even though they might be listed as 32+ it is usually measured with the concave, where everything is measured flat across so they come in under 32 more often than not, often around 31.8 which is a fair size for most 8.25 boards in general with 14.25 or so wheelbases.

If only online there are some shops that tend to list boards more accurately as well as do their own pics, but I will more often than not check multiple shops for dimensions and shapes if I haven't seen them in person.

Shopping online only here.
„Sometimes  more square“ why are brands doing this? I hate it. People want to skate the exact same shape mostly, that’s why they buy the decks.

It doesn’t need to be FA square, but on the rounder side

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

„Sometimes  more square“ why are brands doing this? I hate it. People want to skate the exact same shape mostly, that’s why they buy the decks.

Have you ever seen a DLX / Real Full SE 8.25 board?

As much as they say 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb they are pretty solid and a good all round shape and size, only a few mm longer than most of the others I had thought of before, around the 31.8 length.  It might not feel like so much of a difference when you are on it, but they work and are a good shape from the boards I had pass through my hands.

It was actually more of a pain than I thought to find a good top pic of one, but this is a Real 8.25 Full SE board for reference:

https://www.thedisturbhouse-skateshop.com/products/real-deck-ishod-peace-tree-ltd-full-se-cream-8-25

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have you ever seen a DLX / Real Full SE 8.25 board?

As much as they say 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb they are pretty solid and a good all round shape and size, only a few mm longer than most of the others I had thought of before, around the 31.8 length.  It might not feel like so much of a difference when you are on it, but they work and are a good shape from the boards I had pass through my hands.

It was actually more of a pain than I thought to find a good top pic of one, but this is a Real 8.25 Full SE board for reference:

https://www.thedisturbhouse-skateshop.com/products/real-deck-ishod-peace-tree-ltd-full-se-cream-8-25

Thanks! Yeah would be tempted to try a full se! Good idea

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info

Not exactly mind blowing or even that recent, but as I have heard some people say some stains don't look like BBS (and by default Generator) here is a post with a few options they might not have seen before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoujjE6JIUa/

BL0B

• Rep: 412
thanks, yup i would've guessed not BBS on a lot of those stains and wood grains.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
I noticed Baker changed their 8.25s from 31.875 to 31.5 length. Anyone know the tail/nose lengths? I thought they shortened the WB as well, but looks like it's still 14.25

Threadz

Has Passport changed their shapes?

Or are these just new standard Generator dimensions?

Pretty disappointed if true, as I recall their 8 & 8.125" shapes were around 14/14.125" wheelbase and 31.5" in length. These new dimensions are unskatable for me now :(

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
Any feedback on theories 8.5 shape? Mellow steep? Squarish shape or standard popsicle?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
I noticed Baker changed their 8.25s from 31.875 to 31.5 length. Anyone know the tail/nose lengths? I thought they shortened the WB as well, but looks like it's still 14.25

Shorter tails are in my wheelhouse, so I’ll keep tabs on this.
Baker has had my favorite bbs boards, the flat ones.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't seen any, but looking up Baker or Deathwish, they might be both these dimensions, given they are out of the same house, so to speak:

https://socalskateshop.com/Deathwish-Deathspray-Brain-Skateboard-Deck-8-25x31-5.html

Deathwish Deathspray Brain Skateboard Deck - 8.25x31.5

Deck Specs:
Width: 8.25"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14.25"
Nose: 6.75"
Tail: 6.5"

The older Baker (and other BBS boards) I have in 8.25 x 31.85 or almost 32" long have just under 7" noses and pretty much 6.5" tails so it makes sense if they shortened the nose a bit more than anything else.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
Any feedback on theories 8.5 shape? Mellow steep? Squarish shape or standard popsicle?

If it is BBS, then they are the same 8.5 x 32.3-32.4 with 14.5 wb that is used by most of the BBS brands, a very simple, rounded tried and true shape that works for everything.  Concave might vary considerably depending on which board in the press, but others I have had (and I have a lot of them) have been on average medium concave.

If they are Clutch which they were for a bit, then they are pretty much the same dimensions, also very simple rounded shape and very "normal" popsicle shapes, just slightly different concave, but again pretty much middle of the road.

In the event that they had changed to something else, I haven't seen them so don't know, but most of those brands were back on the Generator / BBS boards when people had seen them.

The shape is the same as the 8.5 from brands like Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, Element, Black Label, Passport, Magenta and lots more, in case you need to check with something you have had already or what is easily available in shops now.

Edit:

For reference and from looking at the Passport shapes which had actual photos of the board, this is the common BBS / Generator 8.5 board shape:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:24:20 PM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Has Passport changed their shapes?

Or are these just new standard Generator dimensions?

Pretty disappointed if true, as I recall their 8 & 8.125" shapes were around 14/14.125" wheelbase and 31.5" in length. These new dimensions are unskatable for me now :(

I don't recall their shapes changing since I bought a few of them maybe two or more years ago now and I used to ride the 8.125 which was always 14.25 wb and 32 long, same as the AH black eagle shape.

They used to have a 7.875 x 31.4 with 14" wb too, so not sure if that is now out completely.  The only listings for them are now pretty old or out of stock.

Not so sure on the 8" but I have definitely had the 8.125, the 8.25, the 8.38 and the 8.5 sizes and they all line up with that size chart pretty well, which is the usual Generator dimensions.

If anything, the 8.25 was maybe a touch under 32 and the 8.38 was pretty much on 32, as it was shorter in both wheelbase and length than my DLX 8.38 boards, which are 32.25 with 14.5 wb.

Have you seen any in person, because sometimes listed dimensions can throw you off more than when you actually look at a board or skate it?

https://www.passportal.com/pages/deck-size-guide

I hadn't seen that deck size guide before, so at least that is one good thing from your post.

Thanks!!

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven't seen any, but looking up Baker or Deathwish, they might be both these dimensions, given they are out of the same house, so to speak:

https://socalskateshop.com/Deathwish-Deathspray-Brain-Skateboard-Deck-8-25x31-5.html

Deathwish Deathspray Brain Skateboard Deck - 8.25x31.5

Deck Specs:
Width: 8.25"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14.25"
Nose: 6.75"
Tail: 6.5"

The older Baker (and other BBS boards) I have in 8.25 x 31.85 or almost 32" long have just under 7" noses and pretty much 6.5" tails so it makes sense if they shortened the nose a bit more than anything else.
Does Deathwish run the b2 shapes?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Does Deathwish run the b2 shapes?

I haven't seen any that I recall.

The two I have, a B2 8.38 and a B2 8.5 are kind of funny though.  Great shape overall, long and squared off, but the dimensions are not as listed.

The B2 8.38 is more like 8.25 with 14.38 wb and 32.2 or so long.

The B2 8.5 is more like 8.3 with 14.38 wb as well and 32.3 or so long.

Both have the width stamp on top, so it is not like I got a wrong size, but these are nowhere near as wide as the same 8.38 and 8.5 in the regular OG shape boards, of which I have had lots of each.

The Baker size chart on their site has a couple of things that are slightly different for the OG shape too, such as their normal 8.38 being 32.2 or so long and their 8.5 being 32.3 long, not 32 even as listed.

I didn't think that the B2 were much steeper than the regular Baker boards either, but they don't mark them as to where they are in the stack like DLX boards, so of five or more of the same 8.5s some are more mellow and others are steeper / much the same as the B2 boards I have.  It is possible I got more mellow versions of the B2 boards, as I only have one of each so nothing to compare them to, in terms of the same boards in higher quantities, as I do with quite a few other boards.

Note - nothing is a problem to me with these boards though.  They are all good wood, good shapes and skate just fine for what I want.

For reference:

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqpst3-uPKo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Berries uses 2hex for its promotional boards.

Anyone every ride them? They seem to be the only Chinese factory with active marketing and branding.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal

Anyone every ride them? They seem to be the only Chinese factory with active marketing and branding.

A few local brands use them for decks and trucks. The decks are nothing special, standard feeling. The trucks are Indy knock offs.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
Socal Skates has got in a new batch of shop blanks. Helpfully they state that they're made by Clutch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqqobOYvU4v/

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
Socal Skates has got in a new batch of shop blanks. Helpfully they state that they're made by Clutch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqqobOYvU4v/

Damn, that photo brought back bad memories of skating bad shop blanks in the early 2000’s.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

A few local brands use them for decks and trucks. The decks are nothing special, standard feeling. The trucks are Indy knock offs.

I was surprised one of the smaller brands locally here use their wood and try to sell the boards at near pro wood prices, as even the wholesale prices are very expensive to buy them and have them shipped here to Australia.

One guy who skates them (sort of half spono by them I guess) had one setup and I had a roll on it.  Super stiff like Dwindle with similar concave, so straight up not really something I felt happy on, but the boards held up well for him and he says they last longer than some other brands he has had.