Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172828 times)

Lepanto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Expand Quote
DISORDER (nijah company) seems loke their boards are made in china. Just see hes ig history that it appears on the label.

No more pstix?
[close]

I wonder if he is still using PS Stix for his own and maybe special edition boards, but then the rest of the boards are now from China.

That used to happen a lot with some brands over the years, where the team or riders would get whatever they wanted, but the boards that went to shops were completely different, often lesser quality.

Thanks for the post too!

Yeah probably is like that. He and the team rides what pstix make for them and rest is china business.

Not too long ago(like few months) saw a post of professor doing stuff with a 8,25deck for nijah, surprised me because nijah usually rides 8,125

Would be nice to know what china woodshop is

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
Anyone here skated a Western Edition board recently?

I see they are listed as PS Stix, but I'm wondering which shape they use.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116

i also very much want this info.
western edition is sick, and i was a big fan in the we did it era. because the locals never stick them, i don’t ride em, but would love to

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote

[close]

western edition is sick, and i was a big fan in the we did it era. because the locals never stick them, i don’t ride em, but would love to

I have 2 as wall hangers, look like they use their standard popsicle shape.

Their 8.0 is 31.8 and 14.25, slightly tapered tail, standard nose.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

perfect.
how flat tho?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

perfect.
how flat tho?

Medium kicks, medium mellow across the middle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

perfect.
how flat tho?
[close]

thank you!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

perfect.
how flat tho?
[close]

[close]

thank you!

They just had a really good sale. I bought a few decks which are coming in today. Always happy to support that company.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
Any info on magenta boards and the feel of them and concave ? I honestly love their chill relaxed videos and aesthetic. I was looking for a real mellow, flattish deck to do some flat ground and simple stuff with.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
Any info on magenta boards and the feel of them and concave ? I honestly love their chill relaxed videos and aesthetic. I was looking for a real mellow, flattish deck to do some flat ground and simple stuff with.

I just got one, an 8.25 - I think they have different shapes and concave, but the one I got is fairly mellow and definitely helping with getting flip tricks back

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

I just got one, an 8.25 - I think they have different shapes and concave, but the one I got is fairly mellow and definitely helping with getting flip tricks back

Magenta is BBS, so depending on your perspective, BBS boards are usually not that mellow when compared to some other brands.

For argument sake though, two Magenta team 8.5 boards that I got recently were some of the steepest boards I have seen in recent years, but others have been on the mellow side I had before that, as well as some I had seen in other shops and places.

Generally they were on the same mold and brown stains as Passport, which were usually more mellow through the middle concave but the kicks were still medium to steep.  More recently though they seem to be on any other stains which might be more from the steeper molds, but it can vary between different boards or molds, also depending on which board in the stack or press.

If the kicks are too steep, they can be flattened out, as per others parking on their boards, and definitely works, but something that can scare people off.

If you are not sure, I would recommend trying to go somewhere to check before buying, so at least you can see for yourself what the boards are like, but being BBS they are good solid boards and usually have decent shapes too.

* I just bought a few digital angle finders, so can go check some next time I am somewhere that has them too.

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
I really appreciate all the help and comments. The Slap community is the best, hands down.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

After having a bit of a go with the digital angle finder, these are the results.  Not ground breaking by any means, but from standing on them and getting a feel for them, as well as now measuring them, the results add up the same.

BBS boards:

DLX IV (mellow feeling)  has about 22 degree nose and 21 degree tail

DLX I (steeper feeling) has about 23 degree nose and 22 degree tail

This Magenta deck, same as a Black Label I checked as well, 24 degree nose and 23 degree tail, both feeling very steep to me.  Very deep feeling concave as well across the board too.  Blue / orange tops and bottoms.

Another older Magenta deck, 22 nose and 21 tail, way less concave across the board as well, so more comfortable to stand on, but it has been skated, which would have caused the kicks to flatten slightly.

Compare that to boards I have driven over and flattened which have about 19 - 20 nose and 17 - 18 tail, even one way older deck that is just a little too flat feeling which has a 15 - 16 degree tail, so that is about as low as is comfortable for me.

This is a fun little thing to have around, even though I wouldn't be checking every board as I trust my feet to feel what it is like easily enough.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
Clutch K6 stamp on a Hopps Eggeling golf board im just getting around to setting up. From last summers drop i think, not surprised theyre mixing in clutch but i do prefer BBS

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
The degrees and the fingers of flat make up kicks…..

Phao Lo

• Rep: 56

ish_wav

• Rep: 102

Same woodshop as Dwindle, it seems:
https://sgbonline.com/dwindle-opens-chop-chop-wood-shop-in-china-for-skate-decks/

I literally came here to ask what Chop was and turns out the brave slap soldiers had me covered. Thank u for ur service

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I literally came here to ask what Chop was and turns out the brave slap soldiers had me covered. Thank u for ur service

Thanks for posting!!!

Interesting he didn't want to name Dwindle anywhere in there, but DSM / Chop Chop Wood Shop was and still is a separate entity to Dwindle Distribution.

His words:

louiebarletta
New samples in, and I’m super stoked!! We had much debate on what wood to run with. There’s so many good options and tons of pros and cons for each wood factory. in the end we chose chop, I personally have a relationship with them having used them for many many years in the past. I won’t name the other factories we experimented with, but every board I rode felt good, but they just didn’t feel like home, if that makes any sense. Anyhow, board samples are in!! We have been taking orders and are now in full production!!! Thank you everyone who has been super supportive! I’ll continue to say it, your support has been super motivating and greatly greatly appreciated! Stay tuned in at jacuzziunlimited

My understanding on things is this (which could easily be very wrong) so someone correct me if this is not right:

Dwindle (under Globe) was the parent company, which started DSM (which I thought was Dwindle Skateboard Manufacturing but it has been said is Douglas Street Manufacturing) but almost jokingly called Chop Chop Wood Shop when they first started it in China in 2002.  Although Dwindle has been bought and sold to then turn it into the hollow shell of an entity it is right now, the DSM woodshop has not been part of any sales / dealings and is still making boards for whoever wants to buy and use them for their own companies, primarily Dwindle brands, but others big and small alike, as per the first page with listings.

Also make of this what you will:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwindle_Distribution

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

That also reminds me I have quite a few updates to do on the list as well.

Anything else anyone can see that needs fixing, changing or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks!

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Magenta is BBS, so depending on your perspective, BBS boards are usually not that mellow when compared to some other brands.

For argument sake though, two Magenta team 8.5 boards that I got recently were some of the steepest boards I have seen in recent years, but others have been on the mellow side I had before that, as well as some I had seen in other shops and places.

Generally they were on the same mold and brown stains as Passport, which were usually more mellow through the middle concave but the kicks were still medium to steep.  More recently though they seem to be on any other stains which might be more from the steeper molds, but it can vary between different boards or molds, also depending on which board in the stack or press.

If the kicks are too steep, they can be flattened out, as per others parking on their boards, and definitely works, but something that can scare people off.

If you are not sure, I would recommend trying to go somewhere to check before buying, so at least you can see for yourself what the boards are like, but being BBS they are good solid boards and usually have decent shapes too.

* I just bought a few digital angle finders, so can go check some next time I am somewhere that has them too.

I heard recently that they switched to a cheaper woodshop, maybe Clutch.

My local stopped carrying them due to people complaining about the lower quality.

Will say I did not like my last Magenta. The old ones were good af tho. Steep concave.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
dsm is douglas street manufacturing

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
dsm is douglas street manufacturing

Thanks!

I don't know why I thought otherwise, maybe just D for Dwindle, but then the other question I have is who owns DSM woodshop, still Globe?

Even being Australian based, I never really went that deep into info about Globe / Hardcore, but knew who they were and occasionally who people talked to regarding shop account stuff, but that is about it.

That was an interesting read anyway.

Not to just do the wiki copy and paste, but in trying to find out more info, there is almost nothing around besides this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_International

Globe operates its own factory to manufacture the skateboards and trucks. The DSM (Douglas Street Manufacturing) Premium Woodshop is located in Shenzhen, China, with skateboard icon Rodney Mullen closely involved in its production practices from its inception.[14] DSM imports maple logs from Canada's Great Lakes region for the production of its decks. A 2013 TransWorld SKATEboarding article likened DSM's approach to the sourcing and treatment of wood; "as the sandwich shop that prepares all of their meat from the whole animal versus others who order their cuts from a wholesaler. DSM has the in-house butcher."[15] DSM was first publicly announced in 2003 and caused a widespread surprised reaction in the skateboard industry, as production had previously been solely based in North America and concern was raised about job losses. Globe CEO Matt Hill, stated at the time: "When you get down to the labor issues, if we sell a lot more boards, then we’ll create jobs here (in the U.S.A.), it’ll open a lot more doors.”

420beers

• Rep: 5
i got one of the hopps throw team boards in an 8.5 and the nose and tail are super full and just feel huge which i like so i ordered another of em and when i got this one its way more pointy, i know how fried this sounds but can anyone tell me which wood shop makes the first one based off that description?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
i got one of the hopps throw team boards in an 8.5 and the nose and tail are super full and just feel huge which i like so i ordered another of em and when i got this one its way more pointy, i know how fried this sounds but can anyone tell me which wood shop makes the first one based off that description?

That ungripped one is Clutch. I’d imagine the fuller one is BBS. Tough to tell with the grip on, though.

420beers

Expand Quote

[close]

That ungripped one is Clutch. I’d imagine the fuller one is BBS. Tough to tell with the grip on, though.

Yeah I didn't take one without the grip but thank you for the help

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
'B' Shape - An update to the famous G shape. Tapered on both ends with a standard wheelbase. Excellent all around board.

If I found a brand / shop that consistently used the 'O' Shape I'd gladly stick to those - Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase... Popular new shape amongst the cool kids.

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

'B' Shape - An update to the famous G shape. Tapered on both ends with a standard wheelbase. Excellent all around board.

If I found a brand / shop that consistently used the 'O' Shape I'd gladly stick to those - Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase... Popular new shape amongst the cool kids.

The first one could even be one of the "O" shape, which from that shapes link is "Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase" and all that, which would make sense if they are using Clutch wood, just ended up with different shapes from one run to another.

Theories of Atlantis is the distributor (owner?) of those brands and as they do their own heat transfers in house, they could put whatever graphic on whatever wood they like, so it could be a bit tricky as it was said they were BBS, then said Clutch, then maybe back on BBS but obviously that pink board is Clutch, so that might be what they are going with for most, or even everything now.

I guess the other thing is checking / comparing concave between the two boards, but without striping the grip off the front bolts of the current one, it is hard to tell.

BBS just has a dimple dot between front bolts but Clutch has the letter and number combination to show the shape and size.

Also I don't think BBS are supplying them with "full" shaped boards, more so just the generic Generator shapes that everyone gets for their own brands or shop boards or even blanks as per the skatesamples.com site, so the more I think about it the more I would say it is a Clutch O shape, but at the end of the day, it is just a guess on my part.

FROTHY

I just rode a board with a K7 imprint, which sounds like it’s clutch. That was a really good medium-mellow 8.25. One of the rare times I retire a board in tact.

420beers

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

The first one could even be one of the "O" shape, which from that shapes link is "Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase" and all that, which would make sense if they are using Clutch wood, just ended up with different shapes from one run to another.

Theories of Atlantis is the distributor (owner?) of those brands and as they do their own heat transfers in house, they could put whatever graphic on whatever wood they like, so it could be a bit tricky as it was said they were BBS, then said Clutch, then maybe back on BBS but obviously that pink board is Clutch, so that might be what they are going with for most, or even everything now.

I guess the other thing is checking / comparing concave between the two boards, but without striping the grip off the front bolts of the current one, it is hard to tell.

BBS just has a dimple dot between front bolts but Clutch has the letter and number combination to show the shape and size.

Also I don't think BBS are supplying them with "full" shaped boards, more so just the generic Generator shapes that everyone gets for their own brands or shop boards or even blanks as per the skatesamples.com site, so the more I think about it the more I would say it is a Clutch O shape, but at the end of the day, it is just a guess on my part.

Thank you for the input, I'm startin to think it's that O shape too. Any ideas on what the next best option for big nose mellow concave would be?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thank you for the input, I'm startin to think it's that O shape too. Any ideas on what the next best option for big nose mellow concave would be?

Cleaver (when they used BBS) were a nice shape, fat nose like a FA/Hockey without being overly steep, standard dimensions (8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m