Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172799 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
if we had a 'balance sheet' or a 'credit' thread maybe it would all make sense....

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Expand Quote
7 posted this and I know they do mostly clutch wood.
Last batch of Toy boards I got in had Watson, Ps and Clutch all mixed together.
[close]

That is pretty trippy - three different woodshops doing the same board, or at least maybe more so three different woodshops supplying wood as blanks to a warehouse that puts those graphics on the boards and ships them off to where ever they may go.

I do find it interesting how even some well established brands seem to be scraping by, or maybe seem to be doing their own in house graphics with a heat transfer machine on whatever wood they can get their hands on.

Could be totally wrong as well and they are getting boards printed at the woodshops, but I am thinking it is more the delivery of blanks and they are doing it themselves with how things seem to be going at the moment.

Also I would expect that more for some other countries / continents, with their own distro and licensing agreements, but there in USA I just don't know what to think.

Were they also all mixed sizes in the wood, or was there some specific boards to specific sizes to woodshops, if that makes sense?

* Sorry just "thinking out loud" on the keyboard here right now.
The Pro boards were Ps Stix and the team / logo boards were clutch or Watson. Yes, all various sizes.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7 posted this and I know they do mostly clutch wood.
Last batch of Toy boards I got in had Watson, Ps and Clutch all mixed together.
[close]

That is pretty trippy - three different woodshops doing the same board, or at least maybe more so three different woodshops supplying wood as blanks to a warehouse that puts those graphics on the boards and ships them off to where ever they may go.

I do find it interesting how even some well established brands seem to be scraping by, or maybe seem to be doing their own in house graphics with a heat transfer machine on whatever wood they can get their hands on.

Could be totally wrong as well and they are getting boards printed at the woodshops, but I am thinking it is more the delivery of blanks and they are doing it themselves with how things seem to be going at the moment.

Also I would expect that more for some other countries / continents, with their own distro and licensing agreements, but there in USA I just don't know what to think.

Were they also all mixed sizes in the wood, or was there some specific boards to specific sizes to woodshops, if that makes sense?

* Sorry just "thinking out loud" on the keyboard here right now.
[close]
The Pro boards were Ps Stix and the team / logo boards were clutch or Watson. Yes, all various sizes.

OK, that makes more sense than totally random whatever, or all just the monster logo on random wood.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
I've skated my first HLC deck, an Ethan Loy (RIP of Element) for a little less than two weeks.

First session it felt like a month-old BBS deck. It would make popping and cracking noises, and the board felt "tired". After three days the driver-side rear quarter panel fell apart and the plys separated. As if 10% of the deck was void of glue.

Some of the top plies stuck straight up, stabbing me in the ankle and shin occasionally. The nose revealed a match stick construction after the heat transfer was skated off.

I'm not complaining, I've had worse and only paid 30 euros. The dimensions were also all wrong. It's listed as a 14.5" wheelbase but measures 14.2. My weight is quite low and I don't huck, so it was surprising to see how fast this thing came apart.

Is this normal for HLC?
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
I've skated my first HLC deck, an Ethan Loy (RIP of Element) for a little less than two weeks.

First session it felt like a month-old BBS deck. It would make popping and cracking noises, and the board felt "tired". After three days the driver-side rear quarter panel fell apart and the plys separated. As if 10% of the deck was void of glue.

Some of the top plies stuck straight up, stabbing me in the ankle and shin occasionally. The nose revealed a match stick construction after the heat transfer was skated off.

I'm not complaining, I've had worse and only paid 30 euros. The dimensions were also all wrong. It's listed as a 14.5" wheelbase but measures 14.2. My weight is quite low and I don't huck, so it was surprising to see how fast this thing came apart.

Is this normal for HLC?

I skated a few HLC boards but it was back on 2020. I really liked them. They were really snappy and lasted a while. I only got them because they were on major discount at the time too (National Board Co.) so haven't skated them since. Sucks that yours was an extremely sub par experience

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote

Is this normal for HLC?
[close]

I skated a few HLC boards but it was back on 2020. I really liked them. They were really snappy and lasted a while. I only got them because they were on major discount at the time too (National Board Co.) so haven't skated them since. Sucks that yours was an extremely sub par experience
I'd say you had bad luck. All HLC boards I skated were ok, maybe a little heavy but nothing dramatic. I skated one Jart and some Sours. I do believe that 14.2 is the only WB they make for whatever reason.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Is this normal for HLC?
[close]

[close]
I'd say you had bad luck. All HLC boards I skated were ok, maybe a little heavy but nothing dramatic. I skated one Jart and some Sours. I do believe that 14.2 is the only WB they make for whatever reason.

HLC have a standard 14.2 wheelbase on everything, or almost everything - standard from under 8 through to over 9 if I recall correctly - as per @moonordie and on their board info catalog someone had posted in the past.

Seen and skated quite a few boards from others which were HLC wood and although it wasn't quite what I prefer, they definitely didn't feel sub par at all, so I think you might have had an unfortunate issue with that one.

As for Element, their usual / original wood on BBS were all to the dimensions as listed on their catalog / websites, but the boards in other places have been different, just like this one - Element in EU is through HLC, so that same graphic here in AU is now on wood from China, which has 14.25 wb on most from 8.125 through to 8.4 or 8.5, then 14 even on the 8.6 Caples board and other differences I noticed when browsing clearance boards in outlet shops.  These dimensions are shown on top of the board itself, which is correct to the board, but not correct to the web site and other info, which is quite a pain if you are very specific to dimensions, as many are on here, myself included.

The other thing is I don't know how long that board might have been sitting around or not stored correctly as a lot of those Element boards are years old now, I think.  For the most part, boards can last a long time, if stored correctly, but some that are not will be too dry and easily snap or come apart, much like a new board delaminates if not glued correctly, but it is often harder to tell and usually if on sale, it is harder to try to check for any warranty or returns as per a new board at full price.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Not to change the topic, but I saw this and was wondering if anyone had seen them before or used them for boards?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=128961.0

Too late for this one, I know, but I saw this come up today and thought it would be worth adding here in case anyone else wanted to do their own small run of boards.

USA based, just in case anyone was not sure.

https://www.instagram.com/boardcosupply/

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214

The link has a much clearer pic, but this is the thumbnail anyway:

I just ordered a Miles Silvas deck wth the same sticker on the nose. Does the sticker mean the board is BBS? I could not find an image online where I could zoom enough. tia
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I just ordered a Miles Silvas deck wth the same sticker on the nose. Does the sticker mean the board is BBS? I could not find an image online where I could zoom enough. tia

Guessing it would be BBS as most of them have been more recently, but the China made boards did have the same size and colour sticker, only just the country different in very small print on the last line, from the ones I saw.  Such small print even the other guy working in the shop missed it, until I pointed it out to him, as I couldn't read it (didn't have glasses on) but I knew it was there.  Also I could be mistaken but I seem to recall the China made boards, or at least the couple I saw had the sticker over the bottom bolts, not the top.

That by itself is definitely not enough to go on though - given they could have someone put the sticker in the wrong place on any given day in either woodshop / warehouse.

Even the country bought from, be it USA or EU or other, I have asked but it seems they are very specific with their boards, wood and whatever else, no licence deals, all through their main USA location, but some wood from BBS, some from USA for a few runs, then others from China.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Guessing it would be BBS as most of them have been more recently, but the China made boards did have the same size and colour sticker, only just the country different in very small print on the last line, from the ones I saw.  Such small print even the other guy working in the shop missed it, until I pointed it out to him, as I couldn't read it (didn't have glasses on) but I knew it was there.  Also I could be mistaken but I seem to recall the China made boards, or at least the couple I saw had the sticker over the bottom bolts, not the top.

That by itself is definitely not enough to go on though - given they could have someone put the sticker in the wrong place on any given day in either woodshop / warehouse.

Even the country bought from, be it USA or EU or other, I have asked but it seems they are very specific with their boards, wood and whatever else, no licence deals, all through their main USA location, but some wood from BBS, some from USA for a few runs, then others from China.

Thank you for this!
Expand Quote
[close]

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for this!
I had a Silvas board with that same sticker style/location and it was made in China. One of the best boards ever.
Have the same one in ice, I'll post a pic later.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy

Fixing a warped deck.

I thought I had put this up somewhere on here before, but I can't find it so at least here it has a home and I can direct people back to this thread, given it is anything about boards, decks, wood, etc.

Warped board fix

When I got a couple of warped boards recently, I knew what I had to do again, as I had done before, with weight and pressure on the opposite sides to make the boards sit the other way for long enough to bend them straight again.

I have done this before, but took this process ad fine tuned it a bit more, with all the small bits of wood I cut up to use.

The main thing is sitting the right size pieces under the opposing corners and then sitting two more pieces on the alternate top sides which create the bend I need to flex the board the other way.

Then I put half a dozen or more normal old boards on top of the one warped board and then whatever weight on top of all that, such as some solid bricks.

Depending on how badly warped the board is, a few days to a week will usually have a fair result, a couple of weeks great if it is colder or really badly warped.

I still haven't found a board I couldn't fix and some boards that had warped have stayed straight for years now, so I am pretty happy with this process.

The couple of blanks and then another board in the last month have all come up nicely after about a week each.

The bit of wood I cut up was from a pallet, so no cost and just some time to make them different sizes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
Does anyone know the full dimensions of Magenta 8.0 and 8.125 boards these days? Tactics measurements are all over the place and Magenta/ToA seem to only give width which is honestly infuriating in 2024. I did also dm Magenta (like a man) but haven’t heard back yet unfortunately.

Additionally would like to know if the shapes are consistent across the Theories brands or if they vary.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Just realized that Player (HLC) is not on the list. Also is a brand without thar much info. Anybody knows who owns it?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Does anyone know what woodshop LB Skate Co Shop uses?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Does anyone know what woodshop LB Skate Co Shop uses?
They mainly use Clutch, but will fill in gaps with DSM

MxsDx

• Rep: 100
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for this!
[close]
I had a Silvas board with that same sticker style/location and it was made in China. One of the best boards ever.

I've skated both the China pressed and BBS Primitives and liked them both. Can also confirm that the stickers are the same with the exception of small print indicating county of origin.  Do any companies other then Primitive use the same 8.38 shape (either BBS or China wood)? It's one of my all time favorites.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Just realized that Player (HLC) is not on the list. Also is a brand without thar much info. Anybody knows who owns it?

Woodshop list updated.

The internet connection here or maybe even the Slap forum link / server / connectivity has been doing some funny things and I often don't get through or it shows up as server busy, etc.

At least I got that Player listing updated, but other things might take a while longer, eg questions about boards and things.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for this!
[close]

Board arrived today. "Made in Mexico"
Nose and tail have concave! Is the China-made board completely flat on the tips? The Silvas I got is 8.25", 14" wb with almost equally long nose and tail. Feels perfect standing on it.
Expand Quote
[close]

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Nose and tail have concave! Is the China-made board completely flat on the tips? The Silvas I got is 8.25", 14" wb with almost equally long nose and tail. Feels perfect standing on it.

Stoked for you!

The China made boards I stood on had flat faces on the kicks and didn't have the "spoon concave" the way BBS does, so at least that should be a plus for you there.

I tend to go on about it a whole lot, but that is why I really only ride BBS boards, as they just feel like home for me now.

The other boards hold up fine and others really like them and yes I can even skate them if that was all there is, but I am very much a creature of habit and prefer something that is comfortable, over anything else, with even half the BBS boards I stand on being too steep for me, but I am used to picking and choosing, so never run short on wood.

* That board might be more popular now if he won SOTY as well, but I was going to say, get some more if you know they are what you want, for wood, shape, etc.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stoked for you!

The China made boards I stood on had flat faces on the kicks and didn't have the "spoon concave" the way BBS does, so at least that should be a plus for you there.

I tend to go on about it a whole lot, but that is why I really only ride BBS boards, as they just feel like home for me now.

The other boards hold up fine and others really like them and yes I can even skate them if that was all there is, but I am very much a creature of habit and prefer something that is comfortable, over anything else, with even half the BBS boards I stand on being too steep for me, but I am used to picking and choosing, so never run short on wood.

* That board might be more popular now if he won SOTY as well, but I was going to say, get some more if you know they are what you want, for wood, shape, etc.

The board was on sale too! I am ordering 3-4 more tomorrow. It is from a legit skateshop, so no guilt there. I think the decks with completely flat tips should not last as long. The (even the slightest) concave should contribute to rigidity. Having completely flat segments, the board relies on the glue within those regions, causing it to deteriorate earlier. At least this is my theory. I will run a static simulation tomorrow as an experiment. It should be good enough to prove my point haha. I will post the results here with diagrams and all.
Expand Quote
[close]

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
Ok, so I have been ill and I did this lazy simulation on a board which I modelled some time ago using digital calipers and tape measure.
The board is a decent approximation of the SOUR 8.18" deck, which I have been skating the last 4 years or so. It has a 14.25 ish wheelbase and the overall length is just short of 32". Nose and tail are almost similar in length. For the purpose of this study I used the nose, as this is a bit longer than the tail, and would make the results more exaggerated. I used two types of board design: A board with concave tips which has a 2500 mm radius concave on the nose, and a board with flat tips which is completely flat on the nose.
The purpose of this simulation is to see if the slight spoon concave on BBS boards adds rigidity to the deck. My initial assumption (and general feeling skating these decks) is that it certainly does. Lets see..

Parameters:
Loads: 500 N force, as this will approximate to ~50 kg. I applied the load on the end of the nose, as seen in the related image.

Fixtures: I created two faces where the baseplates would sit, and fixed those faces. I know this is not the best way to do it, but I said earlier that this is a lazy study. I would need a better machine if I wanted to add the trucks to the analysis.

Mesh: 2.29 mm and 0.45 mm max. and min element size respectively.

I used an arbitrary material (steel), as the material is irrelevant to the analysis. We are looking at how the geometry influences the results. With this in mind, the results will only be able to show trends.

Results:

Looking at the displacement (flex) plots, the board with concave tips seems to flex less than the board with the completely flat tips.

However, according to the stress plots, the board with the concave tips develops higher peak stress around the baseplate. This could be an artefact of the improper fixture, but also it could be that my design promotes stress concentrations around the baseplate region.

Conclusion:
If we base our decision on the displacement information, then my hypothesis (that the slight concave on the tips adds some type of rigidity and prevent wood deterioration) is correct. However, we should also keep in mind the information provided by the stress plots, which is contradicting. While I personally believe it is my bad board design that causes the high stresses on the baseplate corners and that the displacement plots are more realistic, we should njot completely discard the stress plots.

Future work:
When I have access to a more powerful machine, I will try to remember to run a more advanced study which will include a truck assembly. I could even add some torque forces and other directional loads to more accurately mimic a shoe stepping on the board.

Expand Quote
[close]

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
Would a digitized model of a real board help? I have access to an EinScan 3d setup and though about scanning Decks multiple times already. Maybe you could try using a photogrammetrie tool like meshroom. In both cases there would be some occlusion though at least with a simple setup.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
Would a digitized model of a real board help? I have access to an EinScan 3d setup and though about scanning Decks multiple times already. Maybe you could try using a photogrammetrie tool like meshroom. In both cases there would be some occlusion though at least with a simple setup.

I have access to several 3d scanners at work, and we use polyworks to stich surfaces. If you can send a file, that would be awesome. We could then compare difderent models.
I think my cad model is pretty accurate but might still be slightly off compared to a real skateboard. Mainly because the simulation was done on a solid model and did not take into account the wood plies that the board is normally made of or fatigue of the glue. Also, I left out the units of the readings. The deflection is expressed in mm and stress in MPa.
This means that the difference in flex is only 0.003 mm haha
Expand Quote
[close]

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I have access to several 3d scanners at work, and we use polyworks to stich surfaces. If you can send a file, that would be awesome. We could then compare difderent models.
I think my cad model is pretty accurate but might still be slightly off compared to a real skateboard. Mainly because the simulation was done on a solid model and did not take into account the wood plies that the board is normally made of or fatigue of the glue. Also, I left out the units of the readings. The deflection is expressed in mm and stress in MPa.
This means that the difference in flex is only 0.003 mm haha

That's rad!!!

I gotta get going now, but want to have a better look at this when I got a moment.

Nice work.

Cesarr4e

• Rep: 10
  • Cash money vagrant
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what about the DLX brands pressing boards in china for outside US dist? Here in western Europe the new china made DLX wood is being sold in multiple skateshops.

Thanks for all the effort!!
Cash money vagrant

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what about the DLX brands pressing boards in china for outside US dist? Here in western Europe the new china made DLX wood is being sold in multiple skateshops.

Thanks for all the effort!!

You are right!

I have been keeping such a close eye on the other thread and waiting for more info on the boards themselves I hadn't posted about it here in this thread.

Still waiting on more info and to see what they look and feel like when they do arrive here in Australia too, but for anything else this thread is nine pages of interesting reading, some more recent info very informative, compared to a few of the earlier thoughts, where I was wrong with assuming things too.

DLX boards made in China thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127113.0

Basically the current drops and others moving forward will be a mix of wood from BBS (Mexico) and China, with the warning sticker having almost the same info and look only the "Made in..." bottom line is different.

From what I have read, the boards made in China are single press, so no stamp I through to IV, all about the same as a III or IV type board, so maybe a little more mellow on average, but all made to the same mold, some spoon shaping in the kicks so they don't feel like other brands that have generic boards from China, compared to their other boards, also from BBS, with epoxy so they are said to hold up a little more in the stiffness department too.

There are lines from each DLX brand that have not changed at all, still on BBS wood, such as the Antihero eagles, Real ovals, Krooked eyes, as well as some other specific shapes and sizes, or even some boards for certain team riders, who may have said they don't want their name on wood from China, but any which way, they are clearly labelled so you know what you are getting.

The few people who have skated the boards already have favourable things to say about them too, so I am not at all worried that I may not be getting BBS boards in future DLX drops here, but everyone has to make up their own mind about them and as said, I still have not seen or ridden one to really compare to all the other DLX boards I usually ride.

I think that is about it for now, but at least the other thread has more info and I wasn't going to try to run more info here until that thread has been thoroughly exhausted of information or people stop posting in there.

As always, I appreciate anyone who has any questions, comments, requests or other info to post here - this is all thanks you you and I just try to compile the info in one place - first page, first post, etc.

So far it seems to be like this:

DLX - USA - BBS only, but may be some from China at some point (no other info as yet)

DLX - rest of world including Canada, EU, AU, etc - mix of BBS and China, maybe more from China moving forward, but again no other info as yet.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Anyone know which woodshop Ultra corp uses?  They have a 8.06 that caught my eye.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anyone know which woodshop Ultra corp uses?  They have a 8.06 that caught my eye.

Never heard of them before.

From looking them up, being around since 2015 or so and seem to have some good shapes, but no other info on wood, besides saying Made in USA, but that could easily be more likely printed in USA and made in Mexico or elsewhere, eg BBS or Clutch or something else, or one of the smaller USA woodshops that don't make a whole lot of boards, but can easily supply a smaller operation like this one.

I would suggest contacting them to ask and then posting here so I can add it to the woodshop thread too, but I already like the fact that they post dimensions and info on the boards in their shop listings too.

https://www.instagram.com/ultracorp_skateboards/

https://ultracorpskateboards.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

About us
Ultra Corp is a skateboarder owned and operated company, with an emphasis on providing our customers with the highest quality in hard and soft goods. All of our decks are made in the U.S. using East Coast Maple wood. Thank you for your interest in Ultra Corp Skateboards and please check back for more video and product updates.

Ultra Corp Skateboards
Located in Los Angeles, Ca
[email protected]

https://ultracorpskateboards.myshopify.com/products/brett-sube-aloha-fish-8-06-x-31-75in

Brett Sube Aloha Fish

8.06” x 31.75”

Wheelbase - 14.1”

Art by: Brett Sube

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 02:18:25 PM by Woodshop »