Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 164693 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Maybe @skatewood.eu ?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Maybe @skatewood.eu ?

Thanks!

I follow that one, not sure from when, but I guess if it is not shown on here, I forgot it somehow.

https://www.instagram.com/skatewood.eu/

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Apologies if the info is already here somewhere, but now that Dwindle is no more, who is manufacturing Palace boards?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Apologies if the info is already here somewhere, but now that Dwindle is no more, who is manufacturing Palace boards?
DSM i guess

Dwindle is a distribution, DSM is the manufacturer

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 12
Expand Quote
[close]
DSM i guess

Dwindle is a distribution, DSM is the manufacturer

Ok I see, thanks!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Copied from the Twin boards thread.

Curious if anyone has any other info with regard to where these Primitive boards are made - USA woodshop or just marked as Made in USA - but I haven't really seen these very small numbers before.

This Primitive twin has a 4 on it and again made in USA.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
Got myself a new Zero Deck.
Any ideas from which woodshop it is?

Image doesn't show up, so here is the link

https://ibb.co/KwQXq78

non-playable character

• Rep: 14

DSM

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy

Are you in Asia, Europe, Australia or somewhere similar?

The Zero boards in USA seem to still be on BBS or similar wood, but the boards in most other places in the world were on other wood for a fair while, more commonly DSM (same as Dwindle wood - Enjoi, Darkstar, Almost, etc) or some other cheap licenced unknown woodshop from China for us here in Australia.

DSM is good wood - very stiff and decent boards, but might be a little bit more specific for people who like really stiff and crispy boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
Expand Quote

[close]

The Zero boards in USA seem to still be on BBS or similar wood, but the boards in most other places in the world were on other wood for a fair while, more commonly DSM (same as Dwindle wood - Enjoi, Darkstar, Almost, etc) or some other cheap licenced unknown woodshop from China for us here in Australia.

DSM is good wood - very stiff and decent boards, but might be a little bit more specific for people who like really stiff and crispy boards.

Europe

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122

Curious if anyone has any other info with regard to where these Primitive boards are made - USA woodshop or just marked as Made in USA - but I haven't really seen these very small numbers before.

Expand Quote

[close]

Pennswood will stamp numbers between bolts and Primitive has used them in the past.  Something about the typeface looks different though but only Pennswood deck I have right now is already gripped.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Pennswood will stamp numbers between bolts and Primitive has used them in the past.  Something about the typeface looks different though but only Pennswood deck I have right now is already gripped.
Never skated a Pennswood before but this deck is really good. Coming from a Real BBS the transition was easy. The concave is a bit different I’ll say that.

rikki

• Rep: 284
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you look at the photo? It says made in China, so that means Dailan or some similar Chinese shop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Did you look at the photo? It says made in China, so that means Dailan or some similar Chinese shop.

Yes, the photo was clear and easy to see.

DSM, aka Dwindle wood, is and has always been made in China, with that pic as classic DSM markings.

The reason I said Zero is most commonly BBS in USA only, hence asking where in the world he was, which as I thought was not in USA, more likely Asia or Europe.

* DSM actually stands for Douglas Street Manufacturing founded in 2003 which is a bit funny, but always shortened to DSM so some people might not realise, or others had always thought it was just "Dwindle Skateboard Manufacturing" as I had thought before I heard the real name.

More info here if anyone is interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwindle_Distribution

;)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 02:49:25 AM by Mbrimson88 »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
hlcdistribution stories show what looks like a HLC factory in Austin TX

With a caption «  HLC USA UP AND RUNNING »

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
I wonder if they used that investment money to automize more stuff.  From that factory video it looked like there were some steps more auzomized already then in other factories i've seen online Videos from with that robotic arm involved picking up stuff etc.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
I wonder if they used that investment money to automize more stuff.  From that factory video it looked like there were some steps more auzomized already then in other factories i've seen online Videos from with that robotic arm involved picking up stuff etc.

Their recent factory in Spain from a couple years back has that automated / modern stuff. Would make sense they replicate that in the other factory.

@Mbrimson88 i didn’t see that coming to be honest in those times and economy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Their recent factory in Spain from a couple years back has that automated / modern stuff. Would make sense they replicate that in the other factory.

@Mbrimson88 i didn’t see that coming to be honest in those times and economy.

For sure!

That is maybe the only thing that a new establishment has over the older ones, in that they can buy the newest presses and equipment, which are almost all automated now, just the human there to make sure things go as planned.

I guess though, that adds up to enough to pay fewer wages, so they can operate in USA at a lower overall cost to make the boards, compared to other woodshops having to go to cheaper wage countries for production.

All part of the process, but very interesting, none the less.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
So far HLC hasn’t had great reviews?  Or is that a north American bias?

rikki

HLC Europe boards are good. They might feel a tiny bit thicker than average to some, but overall they are solid decks. Especially the high concave shapes are great.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Could be a North American bias as you said, here in the UE I never heard anything bad from them. Boards are pretty good, maybe a little heavier bit nothing too terrible.
One thing that's for sure thar Jart is considered as a kook brand. They also have this "Cruzade" brand that feels that is trying too hard to be Santa Cruz (idk why anybody would want that).
Never had any issue with their boards, skated some Sour and once a Jart I got for free
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

Expand Quote
[close]
Could be a North American bias as you said, here in the UE I never heard anything bad from them. Boards are pretty good, maybe a little heavier bit nothing too terrible.
One thing that's for sure thar Jart is considered as a kook brand. They also have this "Cruzade" brand that feels that is trying too hard to be Santa Cruz (idk why anybody would want that).
Never had any issue with their boards, skated some Sour and once a Jart I got for free

Why exactly is Jart a kook brand? Honest question, as this is news to me. I have no relation to the brand whatsoever, mind you.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why exactly is Jart a kook brand? Honest question, as this is news to me. I have no relation to the brand whatsoever, mind you.
Not sure, maybe the cringe graphics or the skaters sponsored by them? Couldn't really tell
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Not sure, maybe the cringe graphics or the skaters sponsored by them? Couldn't really tell

If you find a decent Jart Deck, you're associated with a brand that also make this.

I think Jart being whack hurt HLCs Northan american expansion, and adoption of HLC wood. I'm sure the wood is fine. The most compelling brands they have are Roger and Sk8mafia

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

If you find a decent Jart Deck, you're associated with a brand that also make this.

I think Jart being whack hurt HLCs Northan american expansion, and adoption of HLC wood. I'm sure the wood is fine. The most compelling brands they have are Roger and Sk8mafia
Add Sour and maybe Flip.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Add Sour and maybe Flip.
i feel like flip is in no way compelling anymore.
sour, sk8 mafia, and roger all put out videos frequently and their riders get coverage.
what does flip do? id put plan b before flip, just above jart at the bottom of the hlc barrel.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Add Sour and maybe Flip.
[close]
sour, sk8 mafia, and roger all put out videos frequently and their riders get coverage.
what does flip do? id put plan b before flip, just above jart at the bottom of the hlc barrel.

Yeah. Don't think flips been relevant for a while. Has anyone on the team put out any footage recently besides Tom? Also, graphics are ass.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
The name is Jart. It was already an uphill battle and they decided to put on ankle weights with those graphics.

malevy

• Rep: 6
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Add Sour and maybe Flip.
[close]
[close]

Yeah. Don't think flips been relevant for a while. Has anyone on the team put out any footage recently besides Tom? Also, graphics are ass.

Alec Majerus had a part a few months ago that I enjoyed. Kinda a shame he's still on the brand lol