Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 34197 times)

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« on: May 15, 2022, 09:59:23 PM »
Alright heres the deal:

These things fuck, and there is somehow no thread about these. Pretty tough to find info, but they are a ton of fun and easy enough to make out of an old deck.

Polarizers are a concept popularized(invented?) by Neil Blender, and can be made by cutting down an old deck and flipping it upside down, or purchased from theheatedwheel.com, or smaller boutique(as much as i hate that word) brands on instagram.

Heres a video of one in action:

https://vimeo.com/167815823
my setup:
Heated Wheel Hewitt Deck
Sure Grip vintage
Rough Riders 56
Bones Hardcore Soft
6-32 hardware
3 washers on the inside, so the wheels dont touch the bushing seat

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 10:06:53 PM »
Like a zip zinger we talkin?

thanksgiving

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 10:07:56 PM »
Like a zip zinger we talkin?
smaller, these boards are 6 inches at the widest. kind of a rule of polarizers to have negative or flat concave. gotta use old roller skates because even 109 indies are too big

tofuweenie

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:56:37 AM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109955.0

^probs closest topic to what you’re thinking

I’ve been passively looking for a board to put on the sure grips I’ve got, but nothing has really caught my eye

boston_bruins

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:43:56 AM »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 09:21:47 AM »
I built one a little while ago from an old deck. had a lot of fun shaping it with a jigsaw and sander. cleaned up the graphic and sprayed it with some random paint then clearcoated the whole thing. I pushed the WB as far as I could with the nose and tail -19.75" axle to axle.
This thing is super fun but i need to dial in the bushings a bit. I'm using stock indy bushings in place of what came on the sure grip trucks. Took a dremel to the truck plates to clear some room for proper nuts. I didn't want to use screws or tiny bolts and all the decent sized nuts with nylock didn't seat right on the plate.

Grimplarizer 6.25" x 27.5"
SureGrip trucks (Stock indy bushings) 2 speed rings inside, 1 outside.
Flip bearings here but swapped out with Swiss 6
Acid Pods - 55mm 86A
no grip on top.. yet

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »
Not a Polarizer but a flat/borderline convex 70s style board:

70s MPI Jimbo Philips (solid mahogany), 6" x 23", 11" WB
6" penny trucks, Ace bushings
OJ Superjuice 60mm

I've posted this in the tiny trucks thread, but I love it so any excuse to re-share.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 10:39:00 PM »
This looks like the kind of thing you can only ride in California.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 11:34:01 PM »
This looks like the kind of thing you can only ride in California.

Actually Blender and the polarizer cult swear by Bones Roughriders (and so do I)

You can cruise over most stuff with those bad boys.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 17
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 04:50:51 AM »
While these have always certainly piqued my interest, I have also struggled to understand the applications of them. Seems limited to small and cruisy transition, that and a micro cruiser.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 06:30:04 AM »
While these have always certainly piqued my interest, I have also struggled to understand the applications of them. Seems limited to small and cruisy transition, that and a micro cruiser.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B91oGZglJ32/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

thanksgiving

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 09:17:30 AM »
it’s a nostalgia trip for older guys, a super fun cruiser, highly customizable diy project, and the turn is unlike anything else. it feels very strange because the boards don’t really tilt all that much due to small hangars

thanksgiving

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 09:21:11 AM »
i need to dial in the bushings a bit. I'm using stock indy bushings in place of what came on the sure grip trucks.

the bones soft bushings is what blender reccomends, but the way he sets it up you need two sets because he uses all bottoms for a deeper turn. i’ve seen a lot of people use powerdyne bushings and heard good things. because the hangars are so small you want to go considerably softer than you normally would because there’s less leverage on the bushings

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 11:34:46 AM »
The main positive of these decks is that you can't really do any tricks on them. Back to just carving around for the fun of it.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 07:32:42 PM »

It gives the board a camber shape which makes flatground pumping and carving feel much easier and efficient. The middle of the board flexes, which you can see in the video in the OP of this thread.

https://www.anchorplankskateboards.com.au/post/what-is-longboard-skateboard-camber-rocker

You'll see this same concept on some slalom boards, moreso the older ones as I think current slalom boards rely on special trucks for the same performance nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-mgyaAD7fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5r7ZBcUd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgb_r9rg7A

Semi off topic but here's Rick McCrank competing in a freestyle competition and Frank Gerwer competing in a slalom competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhEsNDQsRkM

tofuweenie

• Rep: -1
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
I know Bennetts are still produced—and modded—for  slalom I think. Pretty interesting.

https://www.sk8kings.com/bennett-modified-truck-skennett-front-turning-truck-106mm-one-truck.html

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
The main positive of these decks is that you can't really do any tricks on them. Back to just carving around for the fun of it.
Exactly. I don’t have a polarizer (yet) but do have a 70s MPI for when I’m injured or walking the dog or rain rolls.

Same as Ronnie Rodriguez’s. Flat except for a very slight kick tail.
 I have the trucks/wheels for a polarizer but haven’t caught the drops in time. I may just make one if I keep missing them.

thanksgiving

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 12:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have the trucks/wheels for a polarizer but haven’t caught the drops in time. I may just make one if I keep missing them.
there will be a new drop this summer! i think mid july. shops have been getting them consistently but there’s 5 or so new graphic ones on the way

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 12:44:00 AM »

Semi off topic but here's Rick McCrank competing in a freestyle competition and Frank Gerwer competing in a slalom competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhEsNDQsRkM

Just gonna piggyback on this and say anyone who's a fan of McCrank (so everyone) should watch post-radical. It always seems like no one knows it exists but it's one of my favorite vice shows.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 03:34:47 AM »

This. I don't think I have the skillset to properly maximize one of these. They're cool to look at though especially the diy ones

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 01:19:10 PM »

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »
Has anyone here used single-action trucks on the polarizer, and if so can they comment on how the ride is?

George Vallore

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 02:49:32 PM »
Has anyone here used single-action trucks on the polarizer, and if so can they comment on how the ride is?

Would love to know as well. One of the last variants I haven't gotten around to trying out.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 06:58:19 PM »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
there will be a new drop this summer! i think mid july. shops have been getting them consistently but there’s 5 or so new graphic ones on the way
Thanks. Hopefully they’ll be one left after 5pm when they do. Unfortunately in Yuba we have no shops and the closest are an hour away in any direction(Sacto/Grass Valley/Chico) so I’m always behind. I keep checking Neil’s site but haven’t hit any yet. Thanks again for the heads up about the next drop.

George Vallore

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 03:38:13 AM »
To anyone generally unfamiliar with the concept of The Polarizer...

"Polarizer" is technically the name of the board sold from The Heated Wheel.

Some cult factions of the community believe that "Polarizer" is also the PERSON who MAKES the board, and that you're not a Polarizer and the board is not a Polarizer until you've put together the board with a set of specific parameters.

Those parameters include:

-Acquiring/making your own deck and riding it "upside down."
-Bones Swiss Bearings.
-New, low durometer wheels.
-Contested: Cut up roller skate trucks OR Sure Grip "vintage" skate trucks.
-Mounting said trucks of your own volition with a large wheelbase.
-Contested: Using wood/sheet metal screws to mount trucks.

Like all niche subgroups, the rules can get pedantic and silly to a beginner or outside observer.
With most things precious to people in these type of groups, there is a significant amount of gatekeeping.
And it's not without merit, because we all know that too much exposure can suck the life out of something pure.
You see, there is a bit of skate philosophy behind the making of this board.
It's not a gimmick or a trend.
The board was made to tap into a part of skateboarding that can get lost as new generations come up in a world of Instagram clips, "do a kickflip," Olympic exposure, etc.

Think of the idea of the "soul surfer." It's not far off of an idea, in that skateboarding's roots are that of the "sidewalk surfboard." A polarizer is the modern version of the sidewalk skateboard. It's the original idea of skateboarding with modern
technology. When people ride one for the first time, it feels fucking weird and scary because you're both regressing and progressing, if that makes sense. It's a way, in my opinion, to "relearn" how to skate. You have to learn to turn, to carve, to flow, or else it won't work. You have to retrain your muscle memory to commit to deeper carves. You have to GO FAST. You HAVE to actually SKATE.

I fucking love these boards. I'm older, and I found myself gravitating towards Zip Zingers, smaller and looser trucks, and speed cruising towards the end of my tenure with traditional skateboards. I had no interest in big, pig-style cruisers, Landyachtz style boards, or anything that felt like a Sherman Tank. I wanted smaller, squirrelly boards that still had a foot in my history with skateboarding. When someone turned me on to polarizers, I instantly got it. That's what I was looking for. The simplicity and the originality. New/Old.

If you decide to fall down the rabbit hole of Polarization, be prepared for a  veritable shit-ton of talk about bushings.
And pivot cups.
And how to remove a 7mm axle from a roller skate.
And wheelbase.
And "Where can I get a copy of When the Grunion Run?"
And why won't Blender answer my DMs/send me a board/do my dishes/berate my stepdad.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 06:36:33 AM »
There was a blog post I read that compared Polarizers to rat rod culture and I think that's pretty accurate. https://shredshack.com/building-a-polarizer-skateboard/
Rebirth of the old, emphasis on performance. Its much more DIY endeavor than buying a complete or getting of the shelf parts and assembling.

Here's a before/after of the grimple polarization.
I slapped on some scraps of grip last night. Gonna fuck with my bushings this weekend and fine some hills and banks to get bionic on.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:59 PM »
Not tried an actual Heated Wheel Polarizer, but I've done the cut up an old deck and turn it upside down thing, and also have a 70s 27" fibreglass deck in Polarizer shape.

For me the wooden deck didn't work well. It felt like you were standing on the deck, whilst with the flex of the fibreglass deck you're more connected when you push down as you carve a bank or pump and slalom on the flat. A much nicer feeling.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »
If you can find a 6 ply those flex a lot. I’m going to hit up Corey when he does a batch of 6’s for Winsor. Hopefully he can spare one before they’re cut.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 07:49:05 PM »
I’ve cut up a Powell flight, and it works great. Nice flex, and super strong. Just  use gloves and goggles when you cut it up, as the carbon fiber layers can be a pain