Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 34185 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2022, 05:24:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

For wb I did what Blender had his set at. 3 1/2” nose/tail.
@Ronnie Rodriguez pics when you can please.
[close]

fantastic advice! for cutting out the sure grip truck template, go to "moonpatrolpolarizers" on Instagram, scroll down to the video he has of how to make the sure grip truck template, remember the pivot side holes are a little closer...

the axle is approximately 7/8" lower than the pivot side holes (top holes) so you can measure down on the paper, get a small t-square, and mark on your template where your axle line is going to be. I've found it easier step-wise to have that line to get more precise with the WB.

3 1/2" nose/tail ala Blender is going to give you about a little under a 19" WB. I do 3" give or take, and get 19 1/4".
[close]

3 1/2" nose/tail mean the axle is 3 1/2" from the nose/tail? Thanks George and Plan9. Looking for center...
The one I got measurements from was Neil’s old rider and here’s what Dylan showed me when I asked for nose/tail length:

Tails same just didn’t want to flood you with pics.

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »

Thanks, George and Plan9. I think my WB is 20 3/4"

Holy shit these things are fun.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2022, 03:24:39 AM »

kneesandbones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2022, 07:45:07 PM »
Edit: Damn, I have no clue how to post images, 2nd and last try here...

Made a few of my own over the years but much happier with the real deal.  56mm Bones Rough Riders, Swiss 6 and just bought the hardware and trucks they were selling with Bones Soft bushings.

I do wish it had more flex though.  The flex on the longer G&S Surf Skate he spec'd is amazing.  Trucks on my Polarizer are just before nose/tail dips.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 07:45:56 PM by kneesandbones »

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2022, 05:33:16 AM »
The G&S surf skates have bowtuff top and bottom. It's used in archery bows, and gives it that springy flex. More expensive though.

https://youtu.be/1VRe-I00OEI

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2022, 03:11:54 PM »
i really wish i could buy just the deck of a g&s surfskate...

anyone have experience with them? go long or short?

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2022, 05:10:36 PM »
The first polarizers made at Watson had fiberglass layers in them but then Watson closed then got bought by Swank

My friend got one of the first ones made that had Jim's notes glassed in along the stringer kinda like a custom surfboard

I was also there the day Neil proclaimed that Roughriders were the best wheel you could get (at the time) for polarizers. He said he tried them all and I believe him

Also I see a lot of grip tape in this thread

kneesandbones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2022, 06:42:54 PM »
The G&S surf skates have bowtuff top and bottom. It's used in archery bows, and gives it that springy flex. More expensive though.

I was not aware of that ! Good information.

i really wish i could buy just the deck of a g&s surfskate...

anyone have experience with them? go long or short?

I bought the long one about 2 years back, I like it...carving with the flex is amazing. I recently switched out the stock red wheels with Rough Riders and like it better now.   I had asked Neil if it rode like one of his Heated Wheel decks and he responded:

"Stoked you got a surf skate, all the small boards, ride similar, depending on the trucks and the wheel bases and bushings and all that shit, but you 28 is a good board it’s a nice nice flowing board the 25”has as a little quicker reaction"

I had emailed G&S about SurfSkate deck only and here is the response:

"No we don’t. We have a very specific Truck and Wheel that we put them together with. It won’t take any other truck.
Sorry, but it wouldn’t be a surfskate if it had any other components.

Thank you for the email,

Best,

Debbie Gordon"

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2022, 11:38:52 PM »
The first polarizers made at Watson had fiberglass layers in them but then Watson closed then got bought by Swank

My friend got one of the first ones made that had Jim's notes glassed in along the stringer kinda like a custom surfboard

I was also there the day Neil proclaimed that Roughriders were the best wheel you could get (at the time) for polarizers. He said he tried them all and I believe him

would love to see a photo!

fernando the skater

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2022, 02:40:11 AM »
The Heated Wheel did a small run of G&S fibreflex style decks a couple of years ago.

George Vallore

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2022, 03:40:37 AM »

George Vallore

« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2022, 06:40:30 AM »
FYI if you're interested in a SLIGHTLY larger axle without having to pay for some Indy chop-downs, HUCK skate supply
is now making a 2.5" hanger that ends up being 5.25"

They say they work with 10 degree Sure Grip plates, so I think they'll work with the peanut plate...

I know it goes against some of the "ethos" but it's still technically a roller skate truck, and I'm gonna get some to see how the wider axle feels on one of my polarizers...

EDIT: Just got an email from Huck, and they fit perfectly and the kingpin is CLEARED with their hangers!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 08:47:26 AM by George Vallore »

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2022, 12:35:50 PM »
Oh shit

Just gotta grab some Rough Riders

George Vallore

« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »

and some fast bearings, my friend.

Landmine

« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2022, 01:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and some fast bearings, my friend.

Thankfully I have a bunch of Reds in a bin, and tbh I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in bearings outside of lifespan

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2022, 05:38:02 PM »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2022, 10:09:40 AM »
Wanting to re drill my front truck a little bit closer, any of you all adjusted the wheelbase before? I’m actually just going to use the lower holes as the new top holes and drill new bottom ones. I assume that should be a non issue?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

George Vallore

« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »
Wanting to re drill my front truck a little bit closer, any of you all adjusted the wheelbase before? I’m actually just going to use the lower holes as the new top holes and drill new bottom ones. I assume that should be a non issue?

My first polarizer's front truck section looked like it was sprayed with bullet holes, so it's not an issue at all.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2022, 10:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My first polarizer's front truck section looked like it was sprayed with bullet holes, so it's not an issue at all.

lol amazing.

I just switched it down to a 17 3/8” wheelbase and swapped out bones for magic cushions that my homie gave me (red in back, yellow in front) and the difference is absurd. Makes the Bones seem like some sort of cruel joke.

Landmine

« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2022, 11:19:12 AM »
Speaking of wheelbase, what's the general consensus (I bet there's not one lol)?  3 1/2" from tip to baseplate?

George Vallore

« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
Speaking of wheelbase, what's the general consensus (I bet there's not one lol)?  3 1/2" from tip to baseplate?

18-20 inches is what most will tell you.

I started off at 19 1/4" for shits and giggles, and liked it to learn.
Went down to 18 and quickly realized it's a different feel and like it better.

I was riding super soft bushing combos at larger wheelbases, and had to stiffen the bushings up to come down to 18.

Here's a pic of the rides:

Left to Right:

*BBS w/ 20" WB  and 83A BONT barrel/cone on SG Jogger rollerskate plates (I live on a hilly road and it's my Pola-bomber)
*PS Stix with 18" WB and 82A Powerdyne barrel bottom and Bones Soft cone on SG Peanuts with rubber riser from
  moonpatrol.
*BBS with same WB and bushings as above but no rubber riser (Since BBS decks are much more flat, it got setup to
  basically A/B test the difference)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 07:21:47 AM by George Vallore »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2022, 07:30:04 AM »

yeah, i've got one with the 'stringer' and his handwritten measurements.  Neil said it was from Watson, but dont think it has fibreglass.  Just 6 ply.  I'd post this stuff in the <7 inch thread years ago, think there's a pic in there, i'll have a look.

As for bushings, Neil mentioned Powerdyne bushngs for all but the back top, where he said a bones Med which is what i've ridden.

biaherl

« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2022, 05:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, i've got one with the 'stringer' and his handwritten measurements.  Neil said it was from Watson, but dont think it has fibreglass.  Just 6 ply.  I'd post this stuff in the <7 inch thread years ago, think there's a pic in there, i'll have a look.

As for bushings, Neil mentioned Powerdyne bushngs for all but the back top, where he said a bones Med which is what i've ridden.

Now that I think about it they were calling it the "big boy" so maybe the fiberglass ones were made for just heavier skaters. I would assume that it cost too much to produce, one and done. Hit up Arty's Glass for a picture if he still has it

biaherl

« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2022, 05:49:31 PM »
The ol' double post

would love to see a photo!

I've posted mine in multiple threads on here but this is my newest one

18" or 45.6cm axle to axle wheelbase
Indy stock bushings(meh)
56mm Roughriders (slimed down on a bench sander. I sand them to the core)

Landmine

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2022, 09:18:55 AM »
Interesting.  I'm guessing slimming down the Rough Riders allows you to skip adding washers to space out the wheels? Still no truck bite?

This is the kind of fuckery I'm into.

fernando the skater

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2022, 01:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was riding super soft bushing combos at larger wheelbases, and had to stiffen the bushings up to come down to 18.

*BBS w/ 20" WB  and 83A BONT barrel/cone on SG Jogger rollerskate plates (I live on a hilly road and it's my Pola-bomber)
*PS Stix with 18" WB and 82A Powerdyne barrel bottom and Bones Soft cone on SG Peanuts with rubber riser from
  moonpatrol.
*BBS with same WB and bushings as above but no rubber riser (Since BBS decks are much more flat, it got setup to

Any difference in flex between BBS and PS Stix?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »
FYI if you're interested in a SLIGHTLY larger axle without having to pay for some Indy chop-downs, HUCK skate supply
is now making a 2.5" hanger that ends up being 5.25"

They say they work with 10 degree Sure Grip plates, so I think they'll work with the peanut plate...

I know it goes against some of the "ethos" but it's still technically a roller skate truck, and I'm gonna get some to see how the wider axle feels on one of my polarizers...

EDIT: Just got an email from Huck, and they fit perfectly and the kingpin is CLEARED with their hangers!

This is pretty sick. I would like to be able to do quick little slash/scrape/curb ride ons.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2022, 06:19:25 PM »
I miss this thread for a week and come back to find a bunch of rad looking polarizers. Too many to quote or tag.

George Vallore

« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2022, 02:51:29 AM »

Got the HUCK SKATE SUPPLY hangers from SinCity Skates, since they're OOS on the Huck website. You might have to do
 some detective work, but Huck says they're out there...

They are WEIRD to ride when you're used to SG hangers, but they're a great ride, feel a bit more like a tiny 109. Axle is 5.25, the KINGPIN IS BELOW THE HANGER, much more like a "traditional" skate truck, or how the ACS 500s have a higher hanger. They are compatible with any 10 degree plate, so they slip right into the SG Peanut Plate.

Pics on my "tester" board (the old polarizer that I try new shit on, which is battered but holding up):

Since they ride higher than SG peanuts, so the first thought I had was: "OH SHIT I COULD PUT ON SOME 59MMs without a problem."

I also decided to make my old Hewitt into a "faux fibreflex" and put some ACS 430s as far as I could towards nose/tail. Got about a 20 1/2" WB on it and it flexes like crazy. Cheaper than 200+ for a new G and S surfskate, although they are beauties...

George Vallore

« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2022, 02:54:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

moonpatrol.
[close]

Any difference in flex between BBS and PS Stix?

PS STIX feels more flexy. BBS seems more stiff and flat to me.