Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 34332 times)

AlSharpton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2022, 03:49:45 AM »
What kind of wheels is Everyone using? I know Neil uses rough riders but I was checking out the roller bones and maybe splitting the pack of them with a friend. I have one of the G&S surf skates from a few years back and I love the Powell wheels they came with but they’re getting a bit beat up. I’d like to thing the roller bones would work with sure grips but I’m not positive.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2022, 05:52:42 AM »

Had a guy cut down some Indy 109s to a 2" hanger. They're pretty goofy and fun.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2022, 11:56:22 AM »

Is that Track and Field deck narrower at the front compared to the back? Difficult to tell from the photographs on the website.

IpathCats

« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »
Finally got around to trying the green dragons out on my polarizer, pretty fun. Def less grip than the rough riders, but it feels pretty cool to do little slides in a tucked stance. Would recommend. I feel like the 56mm ones would be best. I have the 54 wides I think?

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2022, 03:13:49 PM »
What kind of wheels is Everyone using? I know Neil uses rough riders but I was checking out the roller bones and maybe splitting the pack of them with a friend. I have one of the G&S surf skates from a few years back and I love the Powell wheels they came with but they’re getting a bit beat up. I’d like to thing the roller bones would work with sure grips but I’m not positive.
rough riders, rough riders, rough riders

Art Greco

• Rep: 14
    • Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2022, 06:26:32 PM »

OJ Mini Super Juice
What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2022, 06:37:12 PM »

Been wanting to do that as well. How are they compared to the roller skate trucks?

George Vallore

« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Been wanting to do that as well. How are they compared to the roller skate trucks?

geometry is def different, a bit more stiff but on a longer WB they carve nice. You have to use Bones Bushings for the top cone because of they're Indys, of course. But on the bottom I put in a BONT 78A Barrel with no washers and on a 19 " WB they feel great.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

geometry is def different, a bit more stiff but on a longer WB they carve nice. You have to use Bones Bushings for the top cone because of they're Indys, of course. But on the bottom I put in a BONT 78A Barrel with no washers and on a 19 " WB they feel great.
Thanks. Now I just need to find a cheap set.

IpathCats

« Reply #309 on: October 24, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »
I implore you all, go try green dragon wheels on your polarizer if you have them. I've had tons of fun doing little heel and toe side slides. if you're ripping these things like raven does you probably will not enjoy having less grip, but i dont get that impression from this thread.

thanksgiving

« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2022, 12:02:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xklDRp5RQ_g

found these videos by these japanese guys... pretty cool seeing polarizer content, and hilarious that they call him neil sensei. just press the CC button on youtube and it will show english captions

clip at 2:05 is so sick

thanksgiving

« Reply #311 on: November 02, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
anyone have tips for speedchecks on these things? so grippy i dont know how people do it

trying dragons is tempting but i just love the glassy feeling of rough riders with the flex

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2022, 05:26:40 PM »
anyone have tips for speedchecks on these things? so grippy i dont know how people do it

trying dragons is tempting but i just love the glassy feeling of rough riders with the flex
If it’s on transition I can’t say. On flat just wide carves. Have to do that going down hill with the dog since hes gotten older.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #313 on: November 02, 2022, 05:52:16 PM »

found these videos by these japanese guys... pretty cool seeing polarizer content, and hilarious that they call him neil sensei. just press the CC button on youtube and it will show english captions

This spot is unreal for these types of setups.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

IpathCats

« Reply #314 on: November 02, 2022, 08:00:49 PM »

Dragons are pretty sick on here. I couldn't really do them with the rough riders, just really little ones. Get in a really tucked stance with your feet a bit closer to the center of the board and it seems to work well, super fun.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #315 on: November 02, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »
What’s the park in San Diego that Neil and Cº always ride?  And who here’s got the Heated Wheel DVD?  I love that thing.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2022, 05:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote

This spot is unreal for these types of setups.
[close]

I’ve been there, and it’s a flood control field with some skatable terrain added. While it’s pretty boring for regular skating, for a polarizer it would be fun.

What’s weird is that the funnest thing there is a 50m long mini ramp kinda thing on the other side of the bank they are pumping on. Have no idea why they didn’t put footage of them carving through that.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2022, 06:42:57 AM »
What’s the park in San Diego that Neil and Cº always ride?  And who here’s got the Heated Wheel DVD?  I love that thing.
Robb Field skatepark in ocean beach
It’s perfect for mellow cruising. Ground is a little rough by Southern California standards.

IpathCats

« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2022, 06:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Robb Field skatepark in ocean beach
It’s perfect for mellow cruising. Ground is a little rough by Southern California standards.

So its better than anything on the east coast that wasnt built in the last 4 years? haha.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2022, 07:07:37 AM »

I don’t own it but have seen it and it’s rad. Need to rewatch as I’ve polarized many a time since my last viewing.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2022, 05:27:15 PM »
Is it online anywhere

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #321 on: November 03, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
Is it online anywhere

Seconding this question

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2022, 06:15:38 PM »
Nah and no response when I’ve asked and they’ve never uploaded it. I’m tempted to rip it for my own records though and if I do I can share it with you hotdogs.

Art Greco

• Rep: 14
    • Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2022, 03:46:07 AM »
It’s amazing in this day and age, when you can find literally anything on the internet, that When The Grunion Run is still so elusive.

I would gladly buy it from Neil if he’d just make it available, as I’m sure most of us would. I want to support the Heated Wheel in any way I can.

Right now, with the increased interest in Polarizers, seems like an especially good time for an official re-release of that video.
What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

lulz

• Rep: 24
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2022, 09:02:57 PM »

thanksgiving

« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »
you can put your email in the wheel of fortune popup and use the code on top of the sale price. (just open in incognito and keep opening the page and putting random emails in)

$45USD to ship a polarizer to canada?????

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #326 on: November 06, 2022, 12:37:25 AM »
Nah and no response when I’ve asked and they’ve never uploaded it. I’m tempted to rip it for my own records though and if I do I can share it with you hotdogs.

please do! also curious if there is a good trick for getting trucks mounted centered and square?

George Vallore

« Reply #327 on: November 06, 2022, 03:53:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

please do! also curious if there is a good trick for getting trucks mounted centered and square?

Make a baseplate template by getting a thin piece of paper and draw an outline of your truck baseplate and mark each bolt hole.  Cut the template into a square slightly larger than the baseplate outline. Fold the template in half, lining up the corresponding holes left/right (horizontally) by looking at the template very close to a bright source of light (lamp, fire, the blazing arctic sun, etc).

(NOTE: If using a Sure Grip Classic truck, the baseplate hole for the pivot cup side are SLIGHTLY closer together than the kingpin side, so make a note of PIVOT SIDE for later)

Once the holes are aligned, emphasize the crease, making the crease line pronounced. Mark the crease vertically with pen/marker.  Now use a small screwdriver or something like it to poke through the bolt holes out in the template.

You now have a polarizer truck mounting template.

Take a piece of tape (painter's tape is best IMO), and run it vertically on the polarizer nose to tail approximating the middle of the deck.

Grab a ruler and make AT LEAST THREE measurements of the "mid" line of the board. Usually one around the 5 1/2" mark near the nose and tail, and one in the 6" area of the deck.

FYI polarizer decks are not symmetrical, they're loosely shaped on surf longboard PIG models, so the widest point is NOT the middle of the deck.

Now use the ruler to connect the dots to make your mid line on the deck.

Grab your trucks (with hanger/bushings still on the trucks) and place them where you want to place them on the board. Wheelbases preferred are anything from 18 to 20 inches AXLE TO AXLE, but do whatever you want. 18 inches IMO is a great place to start.

Make sure to measure from the tip of the nose to the start of your baseplate and same on the tail to approximate truck balance. Usually about 3 - 3 1/2 inches.

Once you have the trucks in both desired spots, take a pencil and mark one of the bolt holes on each truck.

Take off trucks and place the template on one of the truck spots. Line up the  same template bolt hole with the bolt hole you just marked. Now lock the mid-line on the template to your mid line on your deck. Now use a marker to mark the bolt hole spots through the template on the board.

Repeat for second truck.

You should now have everything you need logistically to mount the trucks and have a aligned/centered truck situation.

I always recommend pre-drilling bolt holes about 1/8 to a 1/4 into the deck with a 5/16 bit if you are using sheet metal screws. If just bolts, drill away.

Hope this helps.

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #328 on: November 06, 2022, 05:36:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Make a baseplate template by getting a thin piece of paper and draw an outline of your truck baseplate and mark each bolt hole.  Cut the template into a square slightly larger than the baseplate outline. Fold the template in half, lining up the corresponding holes left/right (horizontally) by looking at the template very close to a bright source of light (lamp, fire, the blazing arctic sun, etc).

(NOTE: If using a Sure Grip Classic truck, the baseplate hole for the pivot cup side are SLIGHTLY closer together than the kingpin side, so make a note of PIVOT SIDE for later)

Once the holes are aligned, emphasize the crease, making the crease line pronounced. Mark the crease vertically with pen/marker.  Now use a small screwdriver or something like it to poke through the bolt holes out in the template.

You now have a polarizer truck mounting template.

Take a piece of tape (painter's tape is best IMO), and run it vertically on the polarizer nose to tail approximating the middle of the deck.

Grab a ruler and make AT LEAST THREE measurements of the "mid" line of the board. Usually one around the 5 1/2" mark near the nose and tail, and one in the 6" area of the deck.

FYI polarizer decks are not symmetrical, they're loosely shaped on surf longboard PIG models, so the widest point is NOT the middle of the deck.

Now use the ruler to connect the dots to make your mid line on the deck.

Grab your trucks (with hanger/bushings still on the trucks) and place them where you want to place them on the board. Wheelbases preferred are anything from 18 to 20 inches AXLE TO AXLE, but do whatever you want. 18 inches IMO is a great place to start.

Make sure to measure from the tip of the nose to the start of your baseplate and same on the tail to approximate truck balance. Usually about 3 - 3 1/2 inches.

Once you have the trucks in both desired spots, take a pencil and mark one of the bolt holes on each truck.

Take off trucks and place the template on one of the truck spots. Line up the  same template bolt hole with the bolt hole you just marked. Now lock the mid-line on the template to your mid line on your deck. Now use a marker to mark the bolt hole spots through the template on the board.

Repeat for second truck.

You should now have everything you need logistically to mount the trucks and have a aligned/centered truck situation.

I always recommend pre-drilling bolt holes about 1/8 to a 1/4 into the deck with a 5/16 bit if you are using sheet metal screws. If just bolts, drill away.

Hope this helps.

definitely helps, thank you!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: November 10, 2022, 08:05:58 AM »
Got my track and field from the sale in. Real nice shape and 100% flat. Looks like a mixture of the polarizer and Hewitt special

Had some issues with the order and after fixing it they hooked me up with a dvd and some goodies.