Author Topic: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ  (Read 173277 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • What, me worry?
Re: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »
goddammit y'all sparked my interest in cast iron pans. might have to get one soon, where do I even start? lmao

Just get a basic 10" or 12" Lodge frying pan. Inexpensive, available at most targets or home good store, already pre-seasoned and pretty much bulletproof. Start cooking and if you really dig it you can start getting real deep in the weeds.

krookedjuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
Expand Quote
goddammit y'all sparked my interest in cast iron pans. might have to get one soon, where do I even start? lmao
[close]

Just get a basic 10" or 12" Lodge frying pan. Inexpensive, available at most targets or home good store, already pre-seasoned and pretty much bulletproof. Start cooking and if you really dig it you can start getting real deep in the weeds.

Second that. I got the Lodge started kit a little while back that has a 12", a grill pan, and a smaller 8". also came with scrapers. have been good to me after numerous failed attempts at buying some in years past.

manysnakes

« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2022, 09:51:24 AM »
I’ll also say that thrift stores where I live are always full up on cast iron. You’ll probably want to season it, which I understand isn’t everyone bag, but if you want to get started for like $10 that’s a good way in.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
I bought the Lodge cast iron from Target also when I first started living on my own lol.

The first thing I learned to cook on it was chicken and rice.

-sear chicken thigh w/skin until the skin is crispy and remove it from the pan
-cook your veggies (sweet yellow onions with whatever, I prefer sweet potatoes) and have it absorb everything the chicken left behind. If you want to make it "cajun" use holy trinity mix and seasoning.
-Add 1.5 cups of rice, 3 cups of water or chicken broth or beer, your choice. Dash of soy sauce/seasoning of choice.
-toss the chicken on top and let it braise until rice is cooked.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2022, 10:02:56 AM »
Cowboy Kent Rollins is the Professor Schmitt of cast iron cooking.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
Also go buy yourself a fish spatula.  Metal spatulas are what you want for cast iron

IpathCats

« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2022, 11:17:00 AM »
IC < CI (cast iron)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:50:28 AM by IpathCats »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2022, 11:36:21 AM »
I had two Griswold prewar cast iron skillets (kinda the creme de la creme of cast iron). They were my go-to's but since acquiring a 1/4" baking steel and a de Buyer carbon steel pan, the cast iron has been rendered obsolete. Never thought they'd relinquish the top spot on the pan shelf, but there they sat in the back hardly ever get used, so I gave them to my mom. Carbon steel is much easier to clean and rarely stick. It can be hand washed with dish soap and no scent is retained as it's not porous like cast iron. The baking steel has upped my pizza game considerably, but cast iron still reigns king of pan-style pizza, kinda miss them in that regard.

Also recently bought a T-fal ceramic pan and was pleasantly surprised by how stickproof it is.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »
I had two Griswold prewar cast iron skillets (kinda the creme de la creme of cast iron). They were my go-to's but since acquiring a 1/4" baking steel and a de Buyer carbon steel pan, the cast iron has been rendered obsolete. Never thought they'd relinquish the top spot on the pan shelf, but there they sat in the back hardly ever get used, so I gave them to my mom. Carbon steel is much easier to clean and rarely stick. It can be hand washed with dish soap and no scent is retained as it's not porous like cast iron. The baking steel has upped my pizza game considerably, but cast iron still reigns king of pan-style pizza, kinda miss them in that regard.

Also recently bought a T-fal ceramic pan and was pleasantly surprised by how stickproof it is.

Cast iron Pan Pizza is so underrated

somefucker

« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2022, 11:39:40 AM »
i know this is a cast iron thread now

but i can't recommend getting a legitimate pizza stone enough

we've made 3 pizzas in the past month and they never stick!!!!

manysnakes

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
What's everyone's favorite carbon steel pan?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
What's everyone's favorite carbon steel pan?

We just got this BK pan and so far liking it a lot. This is my first carbon steel so can’t really compare it to anything else. Easy to season, super non stick, and pretty deep so I actually use it a lot like a wok to stir fry. Relatively inexpensive too.

https://www.bk-cookware.com/black-steel

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
Anyone here working with the Finex cast irons?

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »
i got a cast iron pancake pan but it sticks like a bastard

manysnakes

« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2022, 02:19:24 PM »

I have a friend who bought one and said it ended up being worse than his vintage Lodge.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a friend who bought one and said it ended up being worse than his vintage Lodge.

No shit? There's a huge cast iron community on reddit and people seem to fuck with them in general but posts seem to only be about when they first buy em vs daily use so I've been a bit skeptical

manysnakes

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2022, 02:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No shit? There's a huge cast iron community on reddit and people seem to fuck with them in general but posts seem to only be about when they first buy em vs daily use so I've been a bit skeptical

Yeah, I wish I could remember what his issue was, but as I recall he seemed to conclude that it was just needlessly fancy and expensive, and didn’t offer any benefit over another pan. I want to say that something about the shape bothered him.

drewdown

• Rep: -28
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2022, 07:35:49 AM »
My experience is only with MISEN and carbon steel and like I said they rusted in no time and that is after I spent hours 'seasoning' them.  Maybe other brands are better but my only introduction to carbon steel pans sucked big time.  Sucked so much that MISEN sent me a set of non-stick pans at no cost. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2022, 07:37:29 AM »
Anyone having issues with fish or certain meats drying out while cooking on cast iron?

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
We just added a carbon steel to the arsenal, so far really liking it a lot. We use it most often almost like a wok because it's pretty deep and has steep sides. I do a lot of stir fry noodle dishes in it or fried rice type stuff.

I don't think most people know you shouldn't heat non-stick pans above medium-high otherwise that PFAS shit will start leeching into your food. Carbon Steel is 90% of the way to non-stick and way more versatile in my opinion.

Lmao @ the clowns who bought the Always Pan and ruined the non-stick with high heat

somefucker

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2022, 07:45:27 AM »
Anyone having issues with fish or certain meats drying out while cooking on cast iron?

if its not seasoned properly, the moisture from the fish/meat tends to evaporate or stick to the pan

2 tbsp olive oil rubbed into the pan, upside down in the oven on 350 for 20 min

let cool and good to go

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »
I love hating Mikey Alfred. It just feels right.

Mikey Alfred...a firsty-firsty. Only thing worse would be a firsty-firsty; girly-girly, like Traci Shannon.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if its not seasoned properly, the moisture from the fish/meat tends to evaporate or stick to the pan

2 tbsp olive oil rubbed into the pan, upside down in the oven on 350 for 20 min

let cool and good to go

Thanks

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2022, 08:23:45 AM »
i cook the fish on both sides, is there a certain way you are supposed to do it? I alaways see some meme about Neen cooking fish skin side up or some shit and my fish tastes pretty good. i am worried it wouldnt cook through if you only cooked it on one side?

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
Huh, I’m intrigued by the carbon steel, especially because they’re more affordable than I thought. I have a vintage Wagner and a griswold. In my opinion, they’re miles better than a lodge and widely available at thrift and antique stores. Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.

Regarding pizza stone vs cast iron pizza: I do both but I think I’m starting to like cast iron better. My sense is that it preheats faster, so you get a crispier crust without having to preheat a stone for forever.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2022, 09:34:51 AM »
Huh, I’m intrigued by the carbon steel, especially because they’re more affordable than I thought. I have a vintage Wagner and a griswold. In my opinion, they’re miles better than a lodge and widely available at thrift and antique stores. Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.

Regarding pizza stone vs cast iron pizza: I do both but I think I’m starting to like cast iron better. My sense is that it preheats faster, so you get a crispier crust without having to preheat a stone for forever.

I'm so jealous of people saying they find cast iron at local thrift shops. I'm in LA and people have made thrifting their job now so shit gets snatched up so quick

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.

It's been my experience that modern Lodge finish sticks way more than smooth vintage cast iron. I'm considering buying a Lodge and resurfacing it with a disk and angle grinder. From reading around a bit it seems like a practical solution considering good cast iron is so expensive these days.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

The Mad Rapper

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »
a dedicated cast iron thread would be really tight

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »
a dedicated cast iron thread would be really tight

This is the dedicated cast iron thread

manysnakes

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm so jealous of people saying they find cast iron at local thrift shops. I'm in LA and people have made thrifting their job now so shit gets snatched up so quick

I’m surprised to hear that there’s a lot of resale value in rusty Lodge pans. I guess maybe people who operate booths in antique malls or at flea markets grab them, because selling them on eBay is usually cost-prohibitive unless you’re talking Le Creuset money.