Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90754 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1470 on: September 11, 2023, 04:31:32 PM »
In the midst of all the madness, I've switched back to Indys on both of my setups over the past 4-5 months. The Indys feel great, but they affect my tricks negatively. The landings can be shit. Ventures don't have the same feel, but my tricks look more polished with them. While I'm only record flat ground tricks, the difference is stark. I'm thinking of tightening my trucks a bit before considering a switch back. Anyone relate?

So just reading back over your posts, you are currently on Indy stage 4 reissues and stage 9 trucks?

I would say the reissues would be a bit more turny than anything else, especially current versions, but what I was going to say more than anything is the bushings will make or break the feeling of pop and landing tricks, especially if they are not solid enough, so using harder bushings might be something to try to firm up the feeling on Indy trucks.

Sure it is not going to change things completely to feel like Ventures, but I noticed that right away when I tried slightly harder bushings in my usual stage 9, 10 and 11 Indy standard trucks, things just seemed to work better and I was having fewer balance issues - getting older, being more lazy with tricks, not bending knees enough, etc.

Just a thought anyway, but I have seen others post similar things on here as well as skating with others to test things like that too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1471 on: September 11, 2023, 04:54:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Honestly I feel like I understand less about trucks lately. I really, really like the snap of V Lights/forged except for ollie'ing up onto or over tall stuff. No clue why. And the board still feels nimble.

I rode Indy fairly recently and think the cast are closest in pop feel. Kinda heavier and delayed with a really good snap. Likely to be your best bet.
[close]

Thanks. Curious, do you know what the height on Cast vs. Forged is? It surprising that Thunder lists those specs, but Venture does not.
[close]

Shit, it's in someone's sig on here check the Venture thread and read the sigs, but I think forged is like 51.8 or 51.9, Cast is 53.1 or something similar.

I have the V-Hollows as my cast truck, which are lighter than normal Ventures and maybe less hefty pop feel, but to me the 2 options have always felt different enough to notice.
[close]

Thanks for the info. I’ve been madness-free for awhile. We need to change that. :)
[close]

Approximately 53.5 on cast plates and 52 on forged plates.

@rocklobster has it in signature with the exact measurements:

Signature:
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Venture thread (if you really want to tech out):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108614.4740

I •knew• you would know. :) Thanks. Cast will be my new madness project. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

logjammin

• Rep: 352
« Reply #1472 on: September 11, 2023, 04:56:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Been trying to not spend money and do what I can with the gear I already own. Stage 11 hangers work good on Ace classic baseplates but stage 7 hangers work even better. Had a really good session today on this. Fully dialed in and everything.

[close]

Two 1/8" risers on that set up?

2 Real 3-ply risers and then two stacked Ace 1/16" shock pads. So 3/8" total. Sounds nuts but on a board with pretty much zero concave it just feel like a normal concave board with 1/4" risers. I'm skating transition and curbs and more into the surf feel of skating so I'm used to being high off the ground and have no issues with stability or feeling "tippy".

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1473 on: September 12, 2023, 06:37:01 AM »
Expand Quote
In the midst of all the madness, I've switched back to Indys on both of my setups over the past 4-5 months. The Indys feel great, but they affect my tricks negatively. The landings can be shit. Ventures don't have the same feel, but my tricks look more polished with them. While I'm only record flat ground tricks, the difference is stark. I'm thinking of tightening my trucks a bit before considering a switch back. Anyone relate?
[close]

So just reading back over your posts, you are currently on Indy stage 4 reissues and stage 9 trucks?

[ That's correct. Stage 4's on my 8.0 and I set up the stage 9's on an FA thinking they where 139's but they are in fact 129's. :-X It's actually nice and feels right. lol ]

I would say the reissues would be a bit more turny than anything else, especially current versions, but what I was going to say more than anything is the bushings will make or break the feeling of pop and landing tricks, especially if they are not solid enough, so using harder bushings might be something to try to firm up the feeling on Indy trucks.

[ I'd switched the red bushings with the aftermarket "soft" red ones already. So its a bit firmer.]

Sure it is not going to change things completely to feel like Ventures, but I noticed that right away when I tried slightly harder bushings in my usual stage 9, 10 and 11 Indy standard trucks, things just seemed to work better and I was having fewer balance issues - getting older, being more lazy with tricks, not bending knees enough, etc.

[Looking at my footage I think it's the way I skate that's the issue, I squat a lot and when I go to pop, No Antwuan here.  I can see that the board starts to tilt a bit and I lean. Then with my landings if its not bolts then I'm carving out and stepping off. On the Ventures Its a stable launch. If that makes any sense.] 

Just a thought anyway, but I have seen others post similar things on here as well as skating with others to test things like that too.

I set up some 5.2's last night on the 8.0 and just doing a few tre flips was such a huge difference.  Maybe I should try the loose truck kit...That might just defeat the whole ordeal tho.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1474 on: September 12, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
It clearly sounds like forcing looseness is an issue for your ability to actually do tricks. Leave things stable and learn to lean more. Unless you're skating really tight transition or constricted street spots there isn't any reason you need some specific level of looseness.

Just look at how tight Reynolds rides his trucks. It's not a shameful thing. Even local transition skaters I've met ride much tighter than your average Slap poster and they skate way gnarlier shit.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1475 on: September 12, 2023, 08:39:02 AM »
It clearly sounds like forcing looseness is an issue for your ability to actually do tricks. Leave things stable and learn to lean more. Unless you're skating really tight transition or constricted street spots there isn't any reason you need some specific level of looseness.

Just look at how tight Reynolds rides his trucks. It's not a shameful thing. Even local transition skaters I've met ride much tighter than your average Slap poster and they skate way gnarlier shit.

For sure! I'll go back and watch. Watching the Huf video again right now and everyone's boards are solid and stable.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1476 on: September 12, 2023, 09:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been trying to not spend money and do what I can with the gear I already own. Stage 11 hangers work good on Ace classic baseplates but stage 7 hangers work even better. Had a really good session today on this. Fully dialed in and everything.

[close]

Two 1/8" risers on that set up?
[close]

2 Real 3-ply risers and then two stacked Ace 1/16" shock pads. So 3/8" total. Sounds nuts but on a board with pretty much zero concave it just feel like a normal concave board with 1/4" risers. I'm skating transition and curbs and more into the surf feel of skating so I'm used to being high off the ground and have no issues with stability or feeling "tippy".

Doesn't sound nuts to me. I'm glad to see someone not afraid of risers. Real do 5 ply risers also. I'm sure you knew that.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1477 on: September 12, 2023, 10:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For sure! I'll go back and watch. Watching the Huf video again right now and everyone's boards are solid and stable.

I saw Nik Stain post his board and his rear truck had 3-4 threads showing. Tom Knox did too somewhat recently and he had threads showing with the Indy yellow bushings.

manysnakes

« Reply #1478 on: September 12, 2023, 02:11:04 PM »
I’ve noted this before, but I think the average pro is likely skating so much faster than us schmucks that their inertia more than compensates for their tighter trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1479 on: September 12, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »
I'm sure most of us could benefit from skating a bit faster as I have almost never seen a single unsponsored skater skating too fast.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1480 on: September 12, 2023, 04:21:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[ That's correct. Stage 4's on my 8.0 and I set up the stage 9's on an FA thinking they where 139's but they are in fact 129's. :-X It's actually nice and feels right. lol ]

[ I'd switched the red bushings with the aftermarket "soft" red ones already. So its a bit firmer.]

[Looking at my footage I think it's the way I skate that's the issue, I squat a lot and when I go to pop, No Antwuan here.  I can see that the board starts to tilt a bit and I lean. Then with my landings if its not bolts then I'm carving out and stepping off. On the Ventures Its a stable launch. If that makes any sense.] 

[close]

I set up some 5.2's last night on the 8.0 and just doing a few tre flips was such a huge difference.  Maybe I should try the loose truck kit...That might just defeat the whole ordeal tho.

Re Indy trucks:

Yeah I get what you are saying.  Funny I tried a well used set of yellow 96 duro bushings in normal Indy trucks yesterday and they loosen up a lot once worn in but still have the very stable centre on them, compared to the normal stock or even the other 90, 92 and 94 duro bushings.  I still prefer my other older runs of the red 92 duro bushings, but there are current options out there that make things work well too.  It just takes a bit to wear them in because from new, they don't seem like they want to turn at all, then once broken in, they feel like a firm stock bushing, but I think it took a while to get these bushings to that point, from whoever skated them before me.

Re your Venture trucks:

Even just trying the existing bushings without the bottom washer will give you a lot more turn just to sample what that feels like, then put the washer back on and enjoy the stable board feeling.

The loose truck bushing kit is great for having green bushings, or a lower head, or even a bit more give in the trucks if you don't feel like the stock bushings with washers and nut flush is giving you enough turn, but for a normal weight person riding them with the kingpin nut flush, those things are so loose they are detrimental to most normal skating, unless you are like Daewon in ankle strength.

I like them, but I definitely don't run the nut flush and have the wobbly loose feeling on the set of Ventures I had them in.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1481 on: September 12, 2023, 04:36:10 PM »
88A Supercush with flat top washer unlocks a lot of turn in the end of the turn.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #1482 on: September 12, 2023, 06:16:05 PM »
As much as I loved my 8.75 w/ 159s combo in the beginning, it’s starting to feel a little bulky.  So I jumped on a deal for a barely skated complete today, 8.5 deck with hollow 149s.. oddly enough both setups weigh exactly the same according to my bathroom scale.  I should try and recoup some cash by selling the bigger board, but for what I’d get I’m better off keeping it.  And this is how the senseless gear hoarding begins. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1483 on: September 12, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »
I'm sure most of us could benefit from skating a bit faster as I have almost never seen a single unsponsored skater skating too fast.

yes, both of you are very on point imo

i skate so slow, it is shameful

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1484 on: September 12, 2023, 09:41:59 PM »
I'm saying it's the key to my longevity........skate slow....talk lots....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1485 on: September 12, 2023, 10:07:08 PM »
Re your Venture trucks:

Even just trying the existing bushings without the bottom washer will give you a lot more turn just to sample what that feels like, then put the washer back on and enjoy the stable board feeling.

The loose truck bushing kit is great for having green bushings, or a lower head, or even a bit more give in the trucks if you don't feel like the stock bushings with washers and nut flush is giving you enough turn, but for a normal weight person riding them with the kingpin nut flush, those things are so loose they are detrimental to most normal skating, unless you are like Daewon in ankle strength.

I like them, but I definitely don't run the nut flush and have the wobbly loose feeling on the set of Ventures I had them in.

Super helpful info, considering I have some Venture's coming in the mail. Thank you.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1486 on: September 14, 2023, 07:19:52 AM »
88A Supercush with flat top washer unlocks a lot of turn in the end of the turn.

I've spent the last two days back on the Ventures, and it's been great. The best part? I landed my first switch tre! I've been tweaking them back and fourth, and I think I've found a good balance for now. My buddy skates V-lights, which is funny because I have dismissed forged-cast trucks since trying forged Indys a while ago. But now, I question everything, again.lol

Thanks everyone my switch tre land is dedicated to the madness support. haha

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: September 14, 2023, 08:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've spent the last two days back on the Ventures, and it's been great. The best part? I landed my first switch tre! I've been tweaking them back and fourth, and I think I've found a good balance for now. My buddy skates V-lights, which is funny because I have dismissed forged-cast trucks since trying forged Indys a while ago. But now, I question everything, again.lol

Thanks everyone my switch tre land is dedicated to the madness support. haha

a switch tre is worth the madness

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1488 on: September 15, 2023, 08:23:44 AM »
Fuck yes! switch tre is on my bucket list. I want a switch tre and a nollie heel within the next two years (before I am 50). I was never a tech dude... but I've been close to both of these tricks.

and now I feel like I need to start thinking about a set up to help me achieve these flatground goals... damn...  loose Aces on my Huffer might not be the best flip trick set up. back to a Couch/Loveseat? Loveseat plus on some Thunders and small wheels?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1489 on: September 15, 2023, 09:40:06 AM »
My nollie heel came at 48 and the switch tre never happened, a few horrific switch impossibles is all I could muster…

Venture Hi IMO is the most flippable trucks….you can actually put pressure and get leverage….you try to do that on aces and you’ve turned like three times….

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: September 15, 2023, 10:14:32 AM »
I had some Ventures... but gave them away... prob a mistake...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1491 on: September 15, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
My nollie heel came at 48 and the switch tre never happened, a few horrific switch impossibles is all I could muster…

Venture Hi IMO is the most flippable trucks….you can actually put pressure and get leverage….you try to do that on aces and you’ve turned like three times….

If you have only turned 3 times on Ace then you're not realllllly living "loose trucks save lives"

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1492 on: September 15, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Fuck yes! switch tre is on my bucket list. I want a switch tre and a nollie heel within the next two years (before I am 50). I was never a tech dude... but I've been close to both of these tricks.

and now I feel like I need to start thinking about a set up to help me achieve these flatground goals... damn...  loose Aces on my Huffer might not be the best flip trick set up. back to a Couch/Loveseat? Loveseat plus on some Thunders and small wheels?

thunders are great for flipping.
i can do some flip tricks on a huffer, probably some on a couch/loveseat.
wouldn’t try and learn shit on those tho.
nollie heels on the huffer were decent, fun even, don’t think i’d have learned them as easily on one.
kinda repeating myself here.
shaped boards, for me, work for the tricks i already know how to do. never unlocked new shit.
i learned flip tricks on 5.0s, maybe 139s. after that, wider trucks are good for other things, learning flip tricks no.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1493 on: September 15, 2023, 11:27:27 AM »
I had a decent amount of flip trick success on the Couch shape with 151s... but the short wheelbase really fucked with my kick flips... I think its either a loveseat plus or an 8.5" pop with 14.25" WB. I'd rather not buy new trucks at this point so its either 151s or hard bushings and tighter AF1 55s/60s.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: September 15, 2023, 04:52:29 PM »
I had a decent amount of flip trick success on the Couch shape with 151s... but the short wheelbase really fucked with my kick flips... I think its either a loveseat plus or an 8.5" pop with 14.25" WB. I'd rather not buy new trucks at this point so its either 151s or hard bushings and tighter AF1 55s/60s.

151s are sick.
af1 55s with hard bushings would do as well.

there is something there to the short wb and kickflips. and ollie’s too. but for me, that’s when i’m down around 13.75 or some shit.
once i come up for air, and i’m on a 14-14.25, most things are fine.

i’m a huge fan of the griffin gass shape. short tail (perfect to me), longer wb, 32” long, which is my absolute max. loved that board. you seem to like crail stuff so i’m throwing that one out there.

i tried to claim switch tres to flea on here, and i’ve just posed a few, every few sessions. no real threat of landing one, the first few tend to look plausible, and then i start to move further away from it. the last time i could tre-athalon was like 15 years ago, on a 7.8 baker and 139s. so long ago it doesn’t count, and i’m only bringing it up to let the shame of this uncle rico-ing wash over and motivate me to try and get there again.

short wb and kickflips and i go full snowboard stance, it’s not about height, it’s about survival.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #1495 on: September 15, 2023, 08:54:36 PM »
Was on my last setup with venture 5.8 standards for the full life of the deck, which I havent done in a very long time.
Usually a board will see two or three different trucks before I am fully done with it, so this is making me extremely happy. Gonna try stick to them for the foreseeable future and then occasionally skate Ace trucks when I get the itch for something completely different. (Don't think I could ever fully commit to one truck but having two trucks at complete opposite ends of the spectrum should keep me happy).
I have even gone as far as to put my other trucks up for sale so maybe there is light at the end of the madness tunnel.

Now if only I could decide on a board shape/size.  ::)

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1496 on: September 15, 2023, 08:57:04 PM »
skatebaording started my OCD, now i cant leave a room without tocuing the light 3 times in a set of 4 to get to 7 which is a holy number

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1497 on: September 16, 2023, 04:10:47 AM »

Thats the thing tho. With Indy's and Ace (never skated ace), in order to not turn when setting up for a trick, it forces you to pressure the board even more to go straight. Imo, this causes for easier spin tricks. I could atleast do big spins etc easier with Indy's, as the board wouldent flip duo to that. Atleast in my theory

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #1498 on: September 17, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
Not madness per se, but the minimalist in me is ashamed of all the gear I’ve amassed over the past year. Someone with my (lack of) skills doesn’t need all this shit.

Then again, I like the idea of taking a “new old” deck from years ago and skating it.

Leaving stuff at the park seems like a bad idea here. We don’t have a ton of skaters. So I’m thinking about posting on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Saying I have some free gear.

It sounds kooky, but I could print up some stickers and slap ‘em on a few spots in the DIY. “Need a free deck?” Could be an ongoing thing, I’ll be known as the guy who gives shit away 😂

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1499 on: September 17, 2023, 08:31:20 AM »
my local usually is great at managing these things and has bin for donations.  I often keep board in my car and give them away when I see people.  I actually enjoy trying to piece together a set up from old parts and give away a set up.  I guess FB market place wouldn't be a bad idea, even just to sell it as bulk 'must take all' for pizza or something...