Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90770 times)

AlumarX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1440 on: August 22, 2023, 10:24:58 AM »
Madness is so bad I don't even know what I want to ride anymore and I rage focused my board today.

Setup a random deck on Indy standards and loved it for the first 3-5 sessions and since then its been rough going. I can do all the same stuff with marginally less consistency. The turn is fun, but a bit tippy and crazy at times. I likely skate better on Thunders. Been on the same shape more or less for over a year and it works, but after trying some others it no longer feels advantageous over anything else. Ventures have not historically worked for me, but being a more stable Indy-ish truck I sorta wish they did.

So I've got no setup right now and wanna skate on Thursday.
If you got the parts try setting up a Venture baseplate (I use cast) / Thunder hanger and either stock Venture bushings or indys if you ride loose. There's some magic in it I swear. It's like 85% of the Royal turn with the Venture stability. Mess with diff bushings if it doesn't feel right, there's a bushing sweetspot for sure.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1441 on: August 22, 2023, 12:12:56 PM »
Kids have such an advantage over us when it comes to learning tricks. Less fear, faster healing time, and no real responsibilities. Skateboarding is a major commitment, and if you’re an adult that’s not a pro, you can’t spend five hours a day doing it.

So it’s natural that you’ll get worse with age. If Andrew Reynolds was a normal dude he wouldn’t be so good at his age, cause he would’ve had to get a “real” job ages ago.

Having the time to be that good is a privilege.

Exactly. And my point was that I believe this relates to gear madness; real job steals the time but gives paychecks. It's easier to tinker with the setup at home and order some interesting parts that surely will bring back that 1995 summer breeze of all flip tricks in one run... And then get out once a week to burst that bubble.

On the other hand I definitely like 2020s as there is more actual measured knowledge on gear than just mythological gossip at the skatespot.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1442 on: August 22, 2023, 12:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Kids have such an advantage over us when it comes to learning tricks. Less fear, faster healing time, and no real responsibilities. Skateboarding is a major commitment, and if you’re an adult that’s not a pro, you can’t spend five hours a day doing it.

So it’s natural that you’ll get worse with age. If Andrew Reynolds was a normal dude he wouldn’t be so good at his age, cause he would’ve had to get a “real” job ages ago.

[close]

Exactly. And my point was that I believe this relates to gear madness; real job steals the time but gives paychecks. It's easier to tinker with the setup at home and order some interesting parts that surely will bring back that 1995 summer breeze of all flip tricks in one run... And then get out once a week to burst that bubble.

On the other hand I definitely like 2020s as there is more actual measured knowledge on gear than just mythological gossip at the skatespot.
Totally. I have more money than time. Which is why I have twenty decks on ice. It’s so easy to go wild when $60 is nothing to you as an adult. But when you were younger that seemed like a lot. It’s funny (sad) I skate twice a week and probably have more gear than some pros 😭

Been fighting the urge to buy Ventures lately since it’s the only major truck I don’t own. They’re $41 on Tactics, but I know the mental cost will be far greater.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1443 on: August 22, 2023, 12:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with regular adults not having the time to progress at the rate of kids but I also find most older guys waste away the time they do have to skate bullshitting at the spot. I get that its fun to hang out but you can't complain about being shitty at it if you spend none of the free time you do have actually trying.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1444 on: August 22, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
Madness is so bad I don't even know what I want to ride anymore and I rage focused my board today.

Setup a random deck on Indy standards and loved it for the first 3-5 sessions and since then its been rough going. I can do all the same stuff with marginally less consistency. The turn is fun, but a bit tippy and crazy at times. I likely skate better on Thunders. Been on the same shape more or less for over a year and it works, but after trying some others it no longer feels advantageous over anything else. Ventures have not historically worked for me, but being a more stable Indy-ish truck I sorta wish they did.

That's why I
came to realize one thing too, I
I say "damn but for 5 years I kept changing trucks, board length, and in fact I always skated the same way and I was neither stronger nor weaker with each setup.. Damn it's all psychological!"

I really don't care and let it be.. next board I buy, I keep my size and take it if I find it pretty and if I like the brand.. any size or else .. thinking about all this has certainly made me forget the pure pleasure of skating .. and destroyed many sessions for me ..

Now, if I can give one advice that popped into my head.. think positive and have a smile, no matter how bad the session is..

I don't want to fall back into this hell again, and take advantage of the few years I have left to skate relatively well !

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1445 on: August 22, 2023, 03:32:09 PM »

Feeling your pain.

Been having a few very "unhappy" sessions recently, but maybe having a little time off the board might not be such a bad thing.

I had to give it a rest for a bit, then just eased back and I felt a whole lot better for it too.

Sure it doesn't work for everyone, but having some time out and then having a very chilled roll around is a good way to just let things go and have a bit of a release without going too hard.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1446 on: August 22, 2023, 11:16:18 PM »

I feel you brother. I got a G016 because it was mad cheap and I was like "let's see how this tiny tail works". Jesus I was so naive... Hated the thing, tried to make it work 3 times and it was just a waste of time. Yesterday didn't even skated and instead of that I went to get a t-shirt that I liked.
Now I'll setup the old board that is not even that old.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1447 on: August 23, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »
I had a madness of skating only mob grip. Any other grip would just feel inferior. I would skate vans with mob. I just dealt with not flipping the board right for two weeks until I would literally get my shoes down to nothing and have a week of somewhat consistent flips . I started skating blazers and the flick was perfect. But mob would just disintegrate my kickflip spot. So I finally went to jessup and i'm in pure bliss. brand new shoes and board feel already broken in. And they last twice as long. I was always worried that jessup would lose grip over some time. It does, but not as much as I thought. Currently riding jessup with NB#440's and this is the best combo i've skated in years.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

GrapefruitGrinds

• Rep: 2
  • boink
« Reply #1448 on: August 23, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
i like this thread.

i currently have the madness.
i been skating a 9" symmetrical egg and i love the eggs but wanted something a bit smaller to have easier flips.
I ordered the Grimplestix Egg 8.75 and it tapers over the back truck so that you can see the wheels. this drives me crazy so im immediately like no i cant skate this.. so then i go to my local and they have ZERO eggs. i decided to get a 8.75 polar popsicle deck. this feels do bad and weird and i cannot gel with it. so not im sitting on 3 or 4 different decks and dont want to skate any of them really.
i've been going crazy trying to find the specs for the 8.88 heroin eggs bc i think i would like that better than the 9'. the issue is they like trying to find a unicorn right now, so the alternative is the double shovel symmetrical deck from heroin. the Mandy double shovel with the mac n cheese goblin.
Do any of you have experience with double shovel decks?
im currently skating indy 159s and would prefer not to have to buy another set of trucks, but if i want to go down in deck size i think i may have to.

ugh how do you decide without being able to hold the board in your hands first?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1449 on: August 23, 2023, 06:03:38 PM »
i like this thread.

i been skating a 9" symmetrical egg and i love the eggs but wanted something a bit smaller to have easier flips.
I ordered the Grimplestix Egg 8.75 and it tapers over the back truck so that you can see the wheels. this drives me crazy so im immediately like no i cant skate this.. so then i go to my local and they have ZERO eggs. i decided to get a 8.75 polar popsicle deck. this feels do bad and weird and i cannot gel with it. so not im sitting on 3 or 4 different decks and dont want to skate any of them really.
i've been going crazy trying to find the specs for the 8.88 heroin eggs bc i think i would like that better than the 9'. the issue is they like trying to find a unicorn right now, so the alternative is the double shovel symmetrical deck from heroin. the Mandy double shovel with the mac n cheese goblin.
im currently skating indy 159s and would prefer not to have to buy another set of trucks, but if i want to go down in deck size i think i may have to.

Check this post, more so for the good top pic of a double shovel deck - not sure if it is the same shape you are curious about, but I know I have found some good pics of tops of boards to really get a good look and some places will have a lot more info and specs too, eg the over the truck measurements from Conflict Skate Shop and now even Tactics to some degree really help with that.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125937.0

Mandy dimensions below 9 at widest probably closer to 8.6 over trucks.
Width (in):   9.0
Length (in):   31.75
Wheelbase (in):   14.25
Nose (in):   6.75
Tail (in):   6.81

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/heroin-dead-dave-lives---double-shovel--skateboard-deck-90-x-3175-green--pool-ramp-32878-p.asp

9.0" x 31.75"
7.0" nose
6.625" tail
14.25" WB (measured from inner to inner holes)
New hole truck pattern
Width over front truck : 8.875"
Width over rear truck : 9.0"

This one more just as an example:

https://www.tactics.com/heroin/space-egg-2-94-skateboard-deck/teal

SPECS
SIZE   9.4
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.125
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.4
BACK WIDTH (IN):   9.25
LENGTH (IN):   32.06
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   7.25
TAIL (IN):   6.375

GrapefruitGrinds

• Rep: 2
  • boink
« Reply #1450 on: August 25, 2023, 12:00:49 PM »
Expand Quote
i like this thread.

[close]

Check this post, more so for the good top pic of a double shovel deck - not sure if it is the same shape you are curious about, but I know I have found some good pics of tops of boards to really get a good look and some places will have a lot more info and specs too, eg the over the truck measurements from Conflict Skate Shop and now even Tactics to some degree really help with that.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125937.0

Mandy dimensions below 9 at widest probably closer to 8.6 over trucks.
Width (in):   9.0
Length (in):   31.75
Wheelbase (in):   14.25
Nose (in):   6.75
Tail (in):   6.81

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/heroin-dead-dave-lives---double-shovel--skateboard-deck-90-x-3175-green--pool-ramp-32878-p.asp

9.0" x 31.75"
7.0" nose
6.625" tail
14.25" WB (measured from inner to inner holes)
New hole truck pattern
Width over front truck : 8.875"
Width over rear truck : 9.0"

This one more just as an example:

https://www.tactics.com/heroin/space-egg-2-94-skateboard-deck/teal

SPECS
SIZE   9.4
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.125
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.4
BACK WIDTH (IN):   9.25
LENGTH (IN):   32.06
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   7.25
TAIL (IN):   6.375

Thanks for this. Tactics does have the best spec sheets ive seen.
They are just out of the specific egg i want but now i'm kind of interested in either the Powell Heron 2 egg or Andy's new shape but andy's new shape seems like a gimmick. i really like the squared off nose/tail that his decks have like the shovel shapes. i've just never tried one myself.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1451 on: September 04, 2023, 04:14:41 PM »
I just spent way too many hours rasping and sanding 54mm classic fulls into more of a lock in shape (without the right tools). I took 2mm off one side in order to have exactly as much truck space as with the super skinny bones v3 shape I like. Seems like it fits in this topic even though I'm happy, turned out great. If I had the tools, I'd probably do the same thing to the other side as well, turning them into conicals or even tablets.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1452 on: September 04, 2023, 08:19:41 PM »
I just spent way too many hours rasping and sanding 54mm classic fulls into more of a lock in shape (without the right tools). I took 2mm off one side in order to have exactly as much truck space as with the super skinny bones v3 shape I like. Seems like it fits in this topic even though I'm happy, turned out great. If I had the tools, I'd probably do the same thing to the other side as well, turning them into conicals or even tablets.

insane.
respect.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1453 on: September 05, 2023, 03:15:21 PM »

The funny thing is I usually go more the other way - round them off, including Lock ins which worked way more like Classics.

That would have been a hard slog, but they look like they turned out really well for you.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1454 on: September 05, 2023, 05:30:21 PM »

That’s awesome!
What trucks do you ride? I like the v3’s as well but haven’t had a set in a couple of years

logjammin

• Rep: 352
« Reply #1455 on: September 05, 2023, 09:42:25 PM »
Been trying to not spend money and do what I can with the gear I already own. Stage 11 hangers work good on Ace classic baseplates but stage 7 hangers work even better. Had a really good session today on this. Fully dialed in and everything.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1456 on: September 05, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »

I'm curious regarding what are those "not right tools"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1457 on: September 06, 2023, 04:22:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That’s awesome!
What trucks do you ride? I like the v3’s as well but haven’t had a set in a couple of years
Thunder titanium 148

Expand Quote

[close]
I'm curious regarding what are those "not right tools"
Well all I had was griptape and a rasp that was a bit too smooth for the job

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1458 on: September 11, 2023, 07:03:55 AM »
In the midst of all the madness, I've switched back to Indys on both of my setups over the past 4-5 months. The Indys feel great, but they affect my tricks negatively. The landings can be shit. Ventures don't have the same feel, but my tricks look more polished with them. While I'm only record flat ground tricks, the difference is stark. I'm thinking of tightening my trucks a bit before considering a switch back. Anyone relate?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1459 on: September 11, 2023, 07:16:21 AM »
I've been skating exclusively F4 since they dropped (2014? Can't even remember) but all this X99 talk got me weak. Want to try some badly.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1460 on: September 11, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »
Been trying to not spend money and do what I can with the gear I already own. Stage 11 hangers work good on Ace classic baseplates but stage 7 hangers work even better. Had a really good session today on this. Fully dialed in and everything.

Two 1/8" risers on that set up?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1461 on: September 11, 2023, 08:01:19 AM »
In the midst of all the madness, I've switched back to Indys on both of my setups over the past 4-5 months. The Indys feel great, but they affect my tricks negatively. The landings can be shit. Ventures don't have the same feel, but my tricks look more polished with them. While I'm only record flat ground tricks, the difference is stark. I'm thinking of tightening my trucks a bit before considering a switch back. Anyone relate?

Yes, I'm always struggling with trucks madness too. I was on Thunders with 1/8" wooden risers for a good while and I know that I do my best skating on these. Now I've been back on Indy and while I like the feel of Indys, I feel like I don't skate quite as well on them. I've also tried Ace AF1 hollows, which were also pretty good, as well as Ventures, which I didn't really give a chance to. I'm trying to stick with Indy atm but I often miss how crispy my tricks were on Thunders a lot. Might setup the Ventures again and actually give them time to break in. People seem to really like them so they can't be that bad. I just don't wanna buy new Thunders as I already have 3 pairs of trucks laying around.

This madness shit is no joke.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1462 on: September 11, 2023, 11:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I'm always struggling with trucks madness too. I was on Thunders with 1/8" wooden risers for a good while and I know that I do my best skating on these. Now I've been back on Indy and while I like the feel of Indys, I feel like I don't skate quite as well on them. I've also tried Ace AF1 hollows, which were also pretty good, as well as Ventures, which I didn't really give a chance to. I'm trying to stick with Indy atm but I often miss how crispy my tricks were on Thunders a lot. Might setup the Ventures again and actually give them time to break in. People seem to really like them so they can't be that bad. I just don't wanna buy new Thunders as I already have 3 pairs of trucks laying around.

Ya I had the same experience. At the end of the day if the landings are shit and you're landing less, the Indys are holding you back. Stick with the Ventures. I can do the same shit on all the trucks I have skated with some differences in height, quality, etc., but at the end of the day you improve by repetition. If you do 1 beastly kickflip out of 10 on Indys and whiff 50% of your nollie tricks but boost the other half that is less useful for learning than if you do 8/10 kickflips on Ventures and don't whiff any nollie tricks but pop em a bit lower.

I hated Ventures in the past and got some V-Lights in a trade and put them on my 14.38WB deck, which I was convinced you just can't ride with Ventures. I had mostly used them on 14.25 in the past. "Effective WB" be damned I am more consistent on them for almost all types of tricks than Indys and was on par with Thunder in sesh 1. Since then I have gotten used to the timing and 3 weeks later am on par with Thunder. I've tried cast as well and it takes about an hour or two to adjust from the V-lights.

Now I have 3 types of trucks I can run and get used to depending on what I am feeling. Its not a bad thing if you let go of there only being one thing you can ride forever out of some sort of brand loyalty.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1463 on: September 11, 2023, 12:50:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ya I had the same experience. At the end of the day if the landings are shit and you're landing less, the Indys are holding you back. Stick with the Ventures. I can do the same shit on all the trucks I have skated with some differences in height, quality, etc., but at the end of the day you improve by repetition. If you do 1 beastly kickflip out of 10 on Indys and whiff 50% of your nollie tricks but boost the other half that is less useful for learning than if you do 8/10 kickflips on Ventures and don't whiff any nollie tricks but pop em a bit lower.

I hated Ventures in the past and got some V-Lights in a trade and put them on my 14.38WB deck, which I was convinced you just can't ride with Ventures. I had mostly used them on 14.25 in the past. "Effective WB" be damned I am more consistent on them for almost all types of tricks than Indys and was on par with Thunder in sesh 1. Since then I have gotten used to the timing and 3 weeks later am on par with Thunder. I've tried cast as well and it takes about an hour or two to adjust from the V-lights.

Now I have 3 types of trucks I can run and get used to depending on what I am feeling. Its not a bad thing if you let go of there only being one thing you can ride forever out of some sort of brand loyalty.

I landed way more on the Ventures that's for sure. I just really like the way I feel on the board with the Indys. Can't have it all I guess. haha

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1464 on: September 11, 2023, 12:52:17 PM »
Venture comments are timely. I'm thinking about trying them again. It's been awhile. I'll be coming off Indy Forged 144s. I don't like the height of standard Indys. That said, what do you guys advise? Cast 5.6s or one of the forged 5.6 options? Thanks in advance!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1465 on: September 11, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »
Honestly I feel like I understand less about trucks lately. I really, really like the snap of V Lights/forged except for ollie'ing up onto or over tall stuff. No clue why. And the board still feels nimble.

I rode Indy fairly recently and think the cast are closest in pop feel. Kinda heavier and delayed with a really good snap. Likely to be your best bet.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1466 on: September 11, 2023, 01:12:55 PM »
Honestly I feel like I understand less about trucks lately. I really, really like the snap of V Lights/forged except for ollie'ing up onto or over tall stuff. No clue why. And the board still feels nimble.

I rode Indy fairly recently and think the cast are closest in pop feel. Kinda heavier and delayed with a really good snap. Likely to be your best bet.

Thanks. Curious, do you know what the height on Cast vs. Forged is? It surprising that Thunder lists those specs, but Venture does not.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1467 on: September 11, 2023, 02:34:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks. Curious, do you know what the height on Cast vs. Forged is? It surprising that Thunder lists those specs, but Venture does not.

Shit, it's in someone's sig on here check the Venture thread and read the sigs, but I think forged is like 51.8 or 51.9, Cast is 53.1 or something similar.

I have the V-Hollows as my cast truck, which are lighter than normal Ventures and maybe less hefty pop feel, but to me the 2 options have always felt different enough to notice.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1468 on: September 11, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Shit, it's in someone's sig on here check the Venture thread and read the sigs, but I think forged is like 51.8 or 51.9, Cast is 53.1 or something similar.

I have the V-Hollows as my cast truck, which are lighter than normal Ventures and maybe less hefty pop feel, but to me the 2 options have always felt different enough to notice.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been madness-free for awhile. We need to change that. :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1469 on: September 11, 2023, 04:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info. I’ve been madness-free for awhile. We need to change that. :)

Approximately 53.5 on cast plates and 52 on forged plates.

@rocklobster has it in signature with the exact measurements:

Signature:
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Venture thread (if you really want to tech out):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108614.4740