Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 171571 times)

Mouth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2023, 05:19:37 AM »
PJ Ladd has been regressing since PJWHL.

And his Ginger Jihadi look is fucking shit.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2023, 05:23:02 AM »

(sees a turban) JIHADI!!!!!!!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

switchfakie

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2023, 05:33:04 AM »
Rails are the stupidest thing ever even on cruiser setups they’re fucking dumb I don’t care how old you are they’re always dumb I don’t respect it at all it’s tasteless and so fucking lame and looks disgusting every single time. It was cool back in the 80s but society has progressed past needing those things. I cringe so much seeing any setup with rails especially in the setup thread it’s just ridiculous to be putting rails on your board in 2023, grow the fuck up

you hold this opinion because you dont skate curbs or you frequently see people who have them but dont actually need them

AgentOrange

• Rep: -22
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2023, 05:42:47 AM »
Under 30 and only skating curbs is lame

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2023, 05:46:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Rails are the stupidest thing ever even on cruiser setups they’re fucking dumb I don’t care how old you are they’re always dumb I don’t respect it at all it’s tasteless and so fucking lame and looks disgusting every single time. It was cool back in the 80s but society has progressed past needing those things. I cringe so much seeing any setup with rails especially in the setup thread it’s just ridiculous to be putting rails on your board in 2023, grow the fuck up
[close]

you hold this opinion because you dont skate curbs or you frequently see people who have them but dont actually need them

Rails are better for curbs? I might start using them now. I'll be sure to post in the setup thread for Sizzle.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2023, 05:57:39 AM »

He’s Sikh and has been for a while now. Deep fried take

IpathCats

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2023, 06:01:39 AM »
I would rather watch versace plug skate than Tyshawn.

Frog skateboards is a stupid company.

Most people still ride their trucks too loose.

thebacker

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2023, 06:12:05 AM »
The Rowans are better than old skools and half cabs
This is just fact

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2023, 06:12:25 AM »

Who was it that would take one of their bushings out to get even looser trucks?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2023, 06:14:09 AM »
Yall often forget the 'unpopular' in the title so fuck it:

You can keep it low impact but gotta do some flips, or maybe whatever the vert version of a curb is, like a rock and roll on this bad boy

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2023, 06:15:36 AM »

Anyone over the robot TBH

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2023, 06:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Daewon

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2023, 06:22:32 AM »
Yall often forget the 'unpopular' in the title so fuck it:

Expand Quote
[close]

You can keep it low impact but gotta do some flips, or maybe whatever the vert version of a curb is, like a rock and roll on this bad boy

In my 33 years old world flatground its king, Ive learned more shit as an old dude cause now I have patience.
I feel so stupid looking back to my younger self trying shit with no plan in mind.
That being said, do whatever the fuck you want and skate, I dont care as long as you have the real urge to skate soemthing

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2023, 06:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There is a vid of Daewon saying he does 2 washers and no top bushing, but only on his front trucks, I think the back one is normal.

Well opinions are opinions but actually even though I like em frog does annoy me at times.

In my 33 years old world flatground its king, Ive learned more shit as an old dude cause now I have patience.
I feel so stupid looking back to my younger self trying shit with no plan in mind.
That being said, do whatever the fuck you want and skate, I dont care as long as you have the real urge to skate soemthing

28 here and still learning flatground tricks, getting into 360 spins recently.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2023, 08:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He’s Sikh and has been for a while now. Deep fried take

He hasn’t been sick for years. He sucks.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
HATING on tyshawn is turning a great popular opinon here. And I back this.
Miss you Rusty Berings

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2023, 08:49:35 AM »
the rowans are great, super underrated shoe

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2023, 09:04:50 AM »
Mike Carroll is overrated.

Oh wait that was last year’s unpopular opinion, never mind.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2023, 10:19:16 AM »
That really sucks dude I'm sorry!
http://youtu.be/x0K5kDOQr9s

Forrest Edwards: In a Struggle minute two second twenty two

Roy Machine

• Rep: -6
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2023, 10:26:20 AM »
The question is which beloved pro is going to be the SOTY 2023 and will be hated afterwards.

Or maybe someone will break the cycle and a once hated skater will get SOTY and will be loved afterwards

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2023, 10:28:50 AM »
The question is which beloved pro is going to be the SOTY 2023 and will be hated afterwards.

Or maybe someone will break the cycle and a once hated skater will get SOTY and will be loved afterwards

My prediction (wrong thread) is that, in '23, Thrasher is going to push back a little bit against the trend of dropping seventeen parts between November 15-30, and they'll give SOTY to someone who did had two or three parts spread out over the year, with one big part dropping in the fall/early winter. Classico style.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2023, 10:42:29 AM »
Louie Lopez

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2023, 10:45:15 AM »
I do at least a couple slappys every time I skate because I love the feeling but I stopped doing boardslides on double sided curbs when I was in middle school. I actually learned how to slide boardslides both ways on a perfect one near my house but slipping out on those was terrifying as a kid, I bruised the shit out of my tailbone learning them backside in front of like 50 people at a grocery story parking lot and said fuck this shit. Pretty much immediately realized they would be way less sketchy on something that was at least a foot tall so I could actually pop onto it and have a bit more consistency getting on.

I can see the appeal of just seeing how long you can slide it but I have zero interest in doing that trick in the first place, boardslides on curbs aren’t even really slappy tricks or anything. They don’t even feel like a real trick to me when I see them because you just lift the front truck and turn, it’s sort of in the fakie shuv tier of beginner tricks to me. Plus lip slides on curbs look dumb too (obviously bs is cool)

So the trick is wack and then like, you want to put like butter bench material on the bottom of it? So it doesn’t even feel good doing the boardslide? I’ve never skated rails but I always assumed they were slick and took the friction off, why does that even feel good? I hate doing slides on butter bench shit, it’s so unsatisfying compared to a real ledge, even skatepark angle iron ledges kinda suck if you’re doing noseslides or something. It just feels like the equivalent of protected vs unprotected sex

Then I think, do you not want to mess up the graphic? Does it keep it pristine? That makes sense but like, why bother bolting a bunch of fucking plastic strips down the front of the graphic, isn’t that defeating the purpose in the first place

And why get fucking colored rails, just get a normal black one or something, it’s like people are going out of their way to be heinous

Plus don’t you just love how skateboards look when they get scratched up? Skating a pristine graphic makes me feel like a tryhard or something in a way, it doesn’t feel right, I will go out of my way to not set up a new deck until I want to skate ledges so I can break it in a bit. Worn trucks and perfect graphic looks so weird to me I can’t even skate it without feeling embarrassed

Just all in all I genuinely do not get the appeal

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »
Rails are better for curbs? I might start using them now. I'll be sure to post in the setup thread for Sizzle.

no talk me im angy

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2023, 11:11:28 AM »
Rails make those curb dancing tricks possible. Maybe there’s some lunatic out there who can do them without rails but for everyone else it’s a necessity.

Personally I don’t like those tricks very much and don’t love doing boardslides. I rode them for a while but got tired of them. But if people like them that’s cool. Either way I don’t think the old crusty Curb Dawgs are gonna stop cause of what they read on the internet.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
Rails make those curb dancing tricks possible. Maybe there’s some lunatic out there who can do them without rails but for everyone else it’s a necessity.

Personally I don’t like those tricks very much and don’t love doing boardslides. I rode them for a while but got tired of them. But if people like them that’s cool. Either way I don’t think the old crusty Curb Dawgs are gonna stop cause of what they read on the internet.

Genuine question: why can’t they just wax their board?

Honestly I think my rule is it’s cool if the deck you’re skating was around in an era with rails. Setting up an 80s graphic with rails or something then skating curbs with it is sick but setting up a polar 9 inch with rails is corny. I mean shout out to you guys for having fun with your setups but I’m a Puritan with all this stuff. When I was a kid I got the Thrasher Skate and Destroy book from my library and they had a blurb where they said rails were almost as stupid as Z-Rollers and I guess I subconsciously took that to heart.

Also you need to be literally graying before I respect a cut up grip job. Twenty something with a custom xacto knife grip job is unbelievably corny.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2023, 12:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Genuine question: why can’t they just wax their board?

Honestly I think my rule is it’s cool if the deck you’re skating was around in an era with rails. Setting up an 80s graphic with rails or something then skating curbs with it is sick but setting up a polar 9 inch with rails is corny. I mean shout out to you guys for having fun with your setups but I’m a Puritan with all this stuff. When I was a kid I got the Thrasher Skate and Destroy book from my library and they had a blurb where they said rails were almost as stupid as Z-Rollers and I guess I subconsciously took that to heart.

Also you need to be literally graying before I respect a cut up grip job. Twenty something with a custom xacto knife grip job is unbelievably corny.
The rails make it much easier to tilt your board up and get your wheel over the curb for feebles/hurricanes, etc. or just do those weird tilt slides people do. Balance also becomes super easy and they slide fast.

Someone could probably most of these tricks without rails but it would be too hard for 99% of us. They really do make sliding boardslides that much easier.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2023, 12:10:22 PM »

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

8-8.5 popsicle (preferably bbs)

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 12:19:43 PM »

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe
Damn dude this is like some North Korea rules. I’m officially old so I can be corny as I want to be but why does having a colorful board upset you?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2023, 12:21:23 PM »

Plain black grip.

dude go outside