Author Topic: HOT LITTLE TAKES  (Read 29818 times)

Evrart Claire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
Re: HOT LITTLE TAKES
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2023, 02:48:39 AM »
I can't take the "skinny jeans are restrictive" crowd seriously. Skinny jeans usualy have so much stretech that only the baggiest non-stretch jeans can compare to them in range of motion aspect.

On the other hand, extremely baggy jeans weigh a ton and clip your board and stuff around you. If baggy pants crowd really cared about comfort, they'd be skating in sweatpants. It's all fashion, just like pretending an '80s $100 Nike basketball shoe isn't a fucking terrible skate shoe.

Btw i don't wear skinny jeans. Regular fit with some stretch

dannyprovolone

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2023, 04:11:11 AM »
Nah no man wants his slacks hugged up on his calves. Loose fit is essential to proper movement and relaxation. No wonder some of you are so uptight

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2023, 04:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
grown men in baggy pants…didn’t we all grew up?
It was cool in the 90s and early 2000s..and I get it when kids do it these days…but seeing someone in his 30s or older wearing these…i actually feel sorry for them
[close]

Says the grown man with some half naked girl with her ass showing as his avatar.
[close]

I think his avatar is kinda  :sick but it might confirm my idea that grown men who     jeans are all sex pests
[close]
It’s not like there’s only skinny jeans and baggys.
I wear 501s and chinos not to big and not to skinny.
Skinny pants are trash.
Edit: baggys are also trash…please kook me all you want in your clown outfit.
Imagine wearing these pants bringing your kid to school on his first day.Very cool,dad!

I mean I hope that by the time I am taking my child to their first day of school I am not this concerned about how cool I look in the car pool lane.

Maybe juniors got some lil baggies on to match, who knows

slapattack

• Rep: 8
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2023, 05:25:48 AM »
Tiago is unoriginal

This has to be the worst take on this entire message board. Show me one other person that can switch back tail macba.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2023, 06:51:26 AM »
whoever first referred to what we do on skateboards as "tricks" did skateboarding a huge disservice.  it trivializes the whole thing and makes the whole activity look silly and akin to a pogo stick or yo yo.  Not sure what term would be better.  "Maneuver" maybe?  (that sounds stupid too). 

This always kinda bothered to me, but it really sticks out like a sore thumb now that skateboarding is in the Olympics.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2023, 06:58:05 AM »
whoever first referred to what we do on skateboards as "tricks" did skateboarding a huge disservice.  it trivializes the whole thing and makes the whole activity look silly and akin to a pogo stick or yo yo.  Not sure what term would be better.  "Maneuver" maybe?  (that sounds stupid too). 

This always kinda bothered to me, but it really sticks out like a sore thumb now that skateboarding is in the Olympics.

Move?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 06:58:56 AM »
illusions

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2023, 07:01:22 AM »

Techniques perhaps? Maybe combo of all 3.
Something like a kickflip does seem like trick applies but say a tailslide seems like a technique. Maneuver feels more like an overall description like sliding a ledge or airing a gap etc

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1220
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2023, 07:01:34 AM »
I feel you, it does infantilize what we’re trying to do. 

But I also like it because it keeps it simple and uncomplicated.  As adults, I think there is an urge to call them something more sophisticated, but I think we will always refer to them as “tricks”, because that’s the first thing you call them as a kid and everyone knows what you mean. 

I kind of like that the word itself undersells what we are doing, and I can’t think of a better alternative.  If we all started calling them “maneuvers” I’d probably just stop skating to avoid the embarrassment.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -445
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2023, 07:11:43 AM »
whoever first referred to what we do on skateboards as "tricks" did skateboarding a huge disservice.  it trivializes the whole thing and makes the whole activity look silly and akin to a pogo stick or yo yo.
Skateboarding is nothing if it’s not trivial and goofy, it’s a stupid looking activity, only like 1% of skaters actually look cool skateboarding

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2023, 07:17:03 AM »
I like that, no matter the thread, we can always bring it back to pamts

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2023, 07:51:19 AM »
Spots with a short landing always kinda bother me in clips/videos. Why would you pick a rail/set for a trick just to be forced to stop after 20 feet because there is a wall coming up? That just seems to be lazy spot selection.
For me, the best feeling of skating is riding away from the trick you just landed and I think that also translates in footage when it is done properly.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2023, 08:01:54 AM »
Spots with a short landing always kinda bother me in clips/videos. Why would you pick a rail/set for a trick just to be forced to stop after 20 feet because there is a wall coming up? That just seems to be lazy spot selection.
For me, the best feeling of skating is riding away from the trick you just landed and I think that also translates in footage when it is done properly.

The reason it doesn't bother me is, there's more of a danger factor and I give them more credibility because it's harder to ride off afterwards.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2023, 08:17:26 AM »

I see where you’re coming from but it reminds me of skating in real life, it’s very relatable. It reminds me of when you were a kid and you had a perfect spot with like no run up or rollaway and you tried your best to skate it even though it wasn’t really that fun, just because it was the only 5 stair you had or something. I understand it being underwhelming on film though

Every time I think about these spots I think about Jerry’s concussion he got at that hubba in Paris I think it was Stay Gold, where he fell off and cracked his head against the wall in the rollaway. I really don’t like seeing people skating shit like that for that reason.

My hot take is any trick with unnecessary death factor isn’t worth it. I don’t want to see pros doing shit they can straight up just die on. If you’re skating a rail with a huge drop on the other side why bother. You know that ditch spot where people have to thread the needle between two big concrete bollard things at the bottom? Every time I see people skating that I cringe. It can’t even be that fun. Accidents happen, imagine sliding a bit and flying into a concrete wall at 30-40mph? Was your frontside halfcab flip into the bank worth that?

I think about the solo hill bombs I’ve done in my life and my palms will literally start sweating. Running reds with no spotters is suicidal and you shouldn’t let your friends do shit like that. I don’t want pros to feel pressure to do death defying shit all the time, I don’t know. Maybe I’m just soft now, but please do this shit responsibly and always keep in mind that shit is just not worth dying and abandoning your loved ones over

somefucker

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2023, 08:24:31 AM »
I was told a good story about pizza boxes the other day.

So a friend of a friend walks into a pizza shop, asks for a slice, and when asked if he wants a box, politely says no. The owner reluctantly gives him a plate, and he’s out on his way. The pizza is actually great.

So the guy frequents this pizza place a few times a week, and every time he is offered a box, politely declines and asks for a plate - what do ya need a whole ass box for one slice yknow?

One of the most recent times he comes in for a slice, the owner behind the counter INSISTS he put the pizza in a box. The friend of a friend and the owner go back and forth - “sure you don’t want a box?” “Yes, I’m sure” “it’s better in a box, here why do you take a box” “with all due respect, I just want a plate, I’m gonna throw the box away”.

The owner begrudgingly slaps the pizza on a plate, slides it passive aggressively to the guy, and says outright “I don’t think you should come in anymore”.

“Why?” Asks the friend of a friend.

The owner gets really heated in this moment and proclaims “You see that FLIMSY plate your pizza is on? I look like a fuckin asshole when you’re walkin outta here with a steaming hot piece of pizza on that tiny flimsy ass plate - other pizza places are gonna see you walking out of here and say ‘what’s this tiny plate? They don’t have boxes to keep the pizza nice and hot?’ And then I look like an asshole, so if you’re not gonna take a box, I don’t think you should come in anymore”.

The friend of a friend replies “okay, I’ll take the box”. Seeing how passionate the owner had just gotten.

Moral of the story OP, sometimes you just gotta take the box, and take your hot little pizza takes home instead of waving them around on your flimsy plate. You just look like an asshole.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2023, 08:40:31 AM »
Why even offer plates then? Fukn baby

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Tiago is unoriginal
[close]

This has to be the worst take on this entire message board. Show me one other person that can switch back tail macba.

Kinda proving the point. That’s more about physical ability than creativity.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2023, 08:51:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tiago is unoriginal
[close]

[close]

It’s not supposed to be creative, he’s just upholding and honoring the raw ledge skater archetype. He’s just supposed to switch back tail and switch front crook tall ledges and so some nice nollie flatground stuff and he’s pretty much good. You really want to see Tiago doing hippie jumps or something? Let the man do his dignified street skating in peace

Edit: Tiago is like if you genetically engineered somebody who would be really good at skating Pulaski

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2023, 08:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tiago is unoriginal
[close]

[close]

[close]
It’s not supposed to be creative, he’s just upholding and honoring the raw ledge skater archetype. He’s just supposed to switch back tail and switch front crook tall ledges and so some nice nollie flatground stuff and he’s pretty much good. You really want to see Tiago doing hippie jumps or something? Let the man do his dignified street skating in peace
Also tiagos actually done a bunch of NBD or very rarely done tricks too. Haven't seen someone else do a back noseblunt nollie flip

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2023, 09:29:02 AM »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2023, 10:20:39 AM »
Caring too much about pants wheel color truck brand is an obvious tell that you aren’t a very good skateboarder.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 439
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I was a kid and stuck at home one summer, there wasn't much to eat in the house, but there was a box of Bisquick. On the box was a recipe for silver dollar pancakes, so I got out the griddle and set to work. The recipe yield was 50. 50 silver dollar pancakes. I piled them up on a plate, covered it in butter and syrup, and ate the whole fucking thing. Then I went skating.

Username checks out

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2023, 07:28:10 PM »
Berries was better when Hypebeast was in control.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2023, 07:32:28 PM »
My ones is Alex Olson’s cool guy NY legacy was irretrievably tarnished by being disavowed by the NY cool guys when they started Limosine.
There's always a cooler guy.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2023, 04:09:15 AM »
Caring too much about pants wheel color truck brand is an obvious tell that you aren’t a very good skateboarder.
Caring too much about truck brand is a tell that you are either shit or actually very good, for it to matter.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -173
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2023, 04:54:02 PM »
Tom Knox and Deedz should be on Limosine.

Ishod should leave Real for Baker.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2023, 05:03:10 PM »

Definitely this
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2023, 05:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely this

Real deserves straight up disdain for the opportunity cost of their lame ass brand. They’ve had one of the most stacked teams for forever but I’ve only bought like one real board in my life. No cool graphics, no cool aesthetic, no real team identity. It’s like if they made up a skateboard brand for set dressing on NBC sitcoms

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »
Sizzla hear mi wen I tell ya mi nah wan nah ipath reboot
I an I haff nah white god

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2023, 06:20:49 PM »
I need my bushings squeaky, honestly the louder my setup the better