Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310086 times)

Beeda Weeda

Re: bikes
« Reply #900 on: January 23, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »

This is my rig
2015 Cannondale evo  super six , large frame
I started mountain biking in 2010 but got over it because I was breaking my bikes constantly, and I wasn't having fun, just scaring the shit out of myself and not want to get hurt and not skate because I got hurt biking.
I hurt my hip skating and cycling was all i could do so I bought an  into level specialized allez in 2014 to see if I liked it, I did,  and realized that bikes hold their value. This cost me a pretty penny but I have put many hours on it, and have replaced the cassette 3x already.
I started out reluctant, just wearing mountain bike shorts and gym shirts, now I have a super lame looking helment, insane bro shades, the tight shorts with shoulder straps, a camel bag, and I run strava pretty heavy. I turned into a total cycle loser, i don't wear those jerseys with all the shit written on them though, that is my breaking point.
Anyone else on strava? lets hook up!
I noticed that some do the camel bag, some do not.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #901 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
Your photo isn't showing up for me.  I'm also on the strava.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2017, 04:21:51 AM »
Your photo isn't showing up for me.  I'm also on the strava.

its a unicycle with monster stickers

I have not recorded a ride since November, too cold and I  don't enjoy frozen fingers and toes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:30:34 AM by Beeda Weeda »

_UniversalTruth_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #903 on: January 29, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a SLAP version of a bike forum?  Road bikes, not BMX.  I have some shit I need to figure out.  I came up, I'm just not sure how big.  I looked at bikeforum.net and pedalroom.com, but its hard to get a feel.

Also built this single speed up last week for $129 and two ice cream sandwiches.  1992 Peugeot (imported) from Germany.  Rides plenty good enough.

Watched this yesterday, 1962 Tour de France.  Fucked to see them run into stores to buy beer during the race.  Things were raw back then.

I was never a fan of the Tour de France or cycle racing as a sport because it's so exhausting and way too competitive, even back then, look at all the overextended guys in the vid. But as a way to get from A to B, I alway loved it and now I really want to cycle more, also to stay in good shape and to discover new places without depeding on public public transport. Also, this year the Grand D?part will take place in my city (Duesseldorf, GER) and it is suggested that the city will become wore biking-friendly when a bikig-culture is established. So I don't know if that will make me love the Tour de France, but I will definitely buy a good bike asap. I finally found a good shop here and I'm sure I'll find a good bike too, e.g. I'd like this one:

i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #904 on: January 29, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
Don't think I posted it here but I traded off my Omniums for Sugino 75s and put on some gumwalls a while back

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

N.L.

« Reply #905 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »

First new ride in over a decade. Surly straggler. Pretty stoked so far. First upgrade has to be the seat though... Maybe a Brooks Cambian C17 like one of you guys posted awhile back...?

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #906 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »
my best friend, who i met skating in '03, makes these. kindof a niche market here in buffalo, but...goddamn. hes slick!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #907 on: February 19, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
my best friend, who i met skating in '03, makes these. kindof a niche market here in buffalo, but...goddamn. hes slick!

That looks sick

pancake man

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #908 on: February 21, 2017, 06:03:58 AM »
I love the look, but god damn that thing needs a cleaning. Also I don't know how I feel about the quick release on a motorized bike, I would hate to get up to speed and have that bad boy come loose.

ungzilla

« Reply #909 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
My main form of transportation these days. I put about 3000 miles on it last year. Schwinn Tempo frame, I assume from sometime in the 80s, I've never bothered to try and look up the serial number or anything, then a bunch of random parts from parts bins, back from the days when I worked in bike shops, Sugino crank, the heaviest H+Son wheels I could find. I think its ratio is 46/16 at the moment, which is fine for around here, where the occasional hills can be steep but never long.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #910 on: February 28, 2017, 05:19:11 AM »
that is pretty^

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2017, 03:20:35 AM »
Just got my sleek new china knock-off bicycle bell (link: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qZr76yn):

(too bad my shifters are so wide and I can't place it closer to the grips)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
Just got my sleek new china knock-off bicycle bell (link: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qZr76yn):

How is the quality?  Does it seem like it's going to last more than three weeks?   I mean yours probably will, unless you have an eight inch thumb.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
quality is the same as the regular bell - it will last until some lowlife is going to break the lever. hopefully, being so small will fend off these kind of idiots for some time. I never had a bell break due to regular use

colin

« Reply #914 on: March 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »

Dude, you can move your shifters away from the grips, in fact, when people get gnarly, they usually move them quite a bit away for single-finger braking - although your brakes probably aren't that strong - you could still move your shifters away from the grips to make room:

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #915 on: March 18, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »
yeah, I thought about this and checked the room left after the levers are fully pressed not a lot of space left. but that would be ideal, so I'll try it eventually. I really use the bell on very rare occasions (thankfully)

colin

« Reply #916 on: March 18, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
yeah, I thought about this and checked the room left after the levers are fully pressed not a lot of space left. but that would be ideal, so I'll try it eventually. I really use the bell on very rare occasions (thankfully)

If the levers are squishing too close to the grips, you could always try and tighten things up by adjusting the cables. Barrel adjusters are the quickest way:

https://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/commuter-bike-maintenance/adjust-brakes-barrel-adjusters

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #917 on: March 25, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/6046379369.html

Do you guys think this is a decent deal? I'm looking to pick up a bike to ride around with my fiance's five year old because he's getting to the point where it's a lot of work to keep up with him on my skateboard. I haven't had my own bike since I was like 12, so I have no idea what to look for. I thought this one looked decent and is really cheap. The chain looks a bit rusty but not anything I can't clean up. Anything I should look for if I go check it out?

ungzilla

« Reply #918 on: March 25, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
I just lurked your local craigslist. As a former bike shop dweeb and current bike commuter and dweeb who spends a lot of time on a bike... If I was trying to buy one of the bikes on that site (excluding the much higher cost ones), I'd go with this one. It's definitely a better whip than you could get for that amount for a new bike at a bike store these days. I'd still probably try and talk them down a bit... but it looks like it has new tires and shit... it clearly gets ridden and hasn't been hanging in a garage rusting for a century.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/6010372883.html

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #919 on: March 25, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/6046379369.html

Do you guys think this is a decent deal? I'm looking to pick up a bike to ride around with my fiance's five year old because he's getting to the point where it's a lot of work to keep up with him on my skateboard. I haven't had my own bike since I was like 12, so I have no idea what to look for. I thought this one looked decent and is really cheap. The chain looks a bit rusty but not anything I can't clean up. Anything I should look for if I go check it out?

Honestly if you're just using it to keep up with a kid every now and then then honestly for $60 you can't go wrong. However since you are not used to riding a bike this one may feel aggressive and depending on your age and physical condition, may cause you back pain. But like I said, if it's just for short periods of time with a kid it shouldn't be bad. Just make sure it fits you and take a good look at it in person.

Mother Goose.

« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »

woops sorry about the size

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »

Add an "L" before .jpg and you should be good

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 60
« Reply #922 on: April 05, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
I'm planning a bike trip from HB to Palm Springs kinda soon.

Just outta curiosity, does anybody here go on any long distance rides??? Where?? Any cool stories???

Learned early on that bike trails are ripe with spots which leads to bringing my board on nearly all my rides

Sometimes I'll break it out if I'm feelin the spark, just bring some wax n you're good to go.

As well as some other adventures I just recently did a loop goin through a good half of Orange County (84 miles) n surprisingly wasn't as tired as thought I was, I'd like to do a century someday in the near future... someday.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:43 AM »

picked up this '75 schwinn continental off craigslist $80. not the best picture, but you get the idea. got it tuned up, put some new brake pads and handlebar tape on it and its riding pretty smooth. i hopped up a curb yesterday and messed the back tire up a little bit. theres one area where its sitting a lot closer to the rim than it should, so it bounces a little when i ride. hopefully all i need to do is air out the tube and re-inflate it to get it back to normal. it seems like theres always something i need to tweak or fix on it, but i guess thats what you get with a 40 year old bike for less than $100. im having fun with it so far. 

you guys with quick release wheels, do you typically just deflate your front tire to get it on and off and just pump it back up every time, or is there an easier way that im not figuring out? i managed to slip the tire past the brakes to take it off, but i fucked up the pads when i put it back on and now ive got to dick around with them to get them back where they need to be. i know its probably a stupid question, but i havent owned a bike since i was probably 12 and im learning all this shit now.

ungzilla

« Reply #924 on: April 10, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »

picked up this '75 schwinn continental off craigslist $80. not the best picture, but you get the idea. got it tuned up, put some new brake pads and handlebar tape on it and its riding pretty smooth. i hopped up a curb yesterday and messed the back tire up a little bit. theres one area where its sitting a lot closer to the rim than it should, so it bounces a little when i ride. hopefully all i need to do is air out the tube and re-inflate it to get it back to normal. it seems like theres always something i need to tweak or fix on it, but i guess thats what you get with a 40 year old bike for less than $100. im having fun with it so far.  

you guys with quick release wheels, do you typically just deflate your front tire to get it on and off and just pump it back up every time, or is there an easier way that im not figuring out? i managed to slip the tire past the brakes to take it off, but i fucked up the pads when i put it back on and now ive got to dick around with them to get them back where they need to be. i know its probably a stupid question, but i havent owned a bike since i was probably 12 and im learning all this shit now.

For the kind of brakes that you have, you should be able to get the wheel off without deflating the tire. You've got the brake cable traveling from the brake level, and ending at the yoke, with is hooked to either of the brake arms via another shorter cable. Hold the brake arms/pads against the rim with your hand (i.e., not using the brake lever), and you should have enough play in the shorter cable to unhook the yoke, which should let you spread the brake arms more than enough to get the wheel out fully inflated.

As far as the tire, low spots are definitely annoying. Inflate it partially to very low pressure, like 10 psi or less, and go around the tire using your palms to "fold over" or pull up any low spots. They can be really hard to get rid of on old steel wheels like yours though.

Or you can do like suggested here around 7:30, really though just using your hands to kinda pull up on low areas works 9 times outta 10.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:25:39 AM by ungzilla »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
^ Thanks. I'll be giving that a try next time I need to take the front wheel off.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #926 on: April 10, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

That's splendid

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #927 on: April 11, 2017, 05:25:32 AM »
I'm getting excited about the possibility of mounting consumer VR cameras on top of your helmet as a bike black-box (commuting) and to film beautiful landscape rides. If I had the money, though.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #928 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »
got a sweet deal on this gem, homie bought it and realized that he hates biking. i am kinda over my old roadbike, it already felt like its holding me back a little (its 20 years old, and most of my bike buddies are on 3000 euro carbon frames.)
cant wait to test this baby.
(its a canyon endurace)

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #929 on: May 09, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »
nice rig.