fredgallSOTY

Re: Jobs
« Reply #990 on: May 25, 2022, 06:25:34 AM »
my boss was talking to me about gifted hater yesterday hahahaha

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #991 on: May 26, 2022, 12:06:18 AM »
Fuck me.

I changed careers in order to develop a path to a research based role at a big company. Spoke with the hiring manager today, we got along, she needed someone with my education, and wanted someone to do the shit I'm stoked on doing BUT then she dropped that I need to pass a test doing advanced statistics and creating a database with SQL even though this won't be something I do in the job.

I haven't taken a fucking stats class in 15 years and don't have time to take a refresher stats class (I'm already working two jobs and working on a side project) and I have zero interest in learning SQL. Super fucking bummed.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #992 on: May 26, 2022, 12:25:49 AM »
Fuck me.

I changed careers in order to develop a path to a research based role at a big company. Spoke with the hiring manager today, we got along, she needed someone with my education, and wanted someone to do the shit I'm stoked on doing BUT then she dropped that I need to pass a test doing advanced statistics and creating a database with SQL even though this won't be something I do in the job.

I haven't taken a fucking stats class in 15 years and don't have time to take a refresher stats class (I'm already working two jobs and working on a side project) and I have zero interest in learning SQL. Super fucking bummed.

Good luck.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #993 on: May 26, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
Fuck me.

you can learn to create a database in SQL in less than a few hours IMO. don't let this be a hold up

the stats test on the other hand.. having ptsd from jr college thinkin bout it lol

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #994 on: May 26, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »
Thanks. And, glad to hear SQL is pretty easy.

And, yeah, not stoked on the stats shit. I can do basic stuff pretty easily, but I have no interest in learning R and re-learning regressions and shit, especially when that wouldn't be my job. Why test me on an unrelated skill?

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #995 on: May 27, 2022, 12:02:45 AM »
Setting up an SQL database is one thing, doing the queries is another. I had some trouble wrapping my head around how to manipulate the data to get what you need and knowing what commands to use and how. But if you have prior experience in data it’s probably not so bad, I was working off of 15 year old database studies. It was a kind of a fun challenge though, like you know what data goes in to the system, and you know what question you need answered, and in between there is a logical puzzle of how to arrive at that answer.

I used datacamp.com mostly, I imagine there are better and even free-er resources available for SQL too but that was kinda fun and gamified. I also setup a free Google BigQuery which gave access to some big existing datasets for messing about in (BigQuery used some slightly custom SQL syntax though)
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #996 on: May 27, 2022, 09:08:39 AM »
Setting up an SQL database is one thing, doing the queries is another. I had some trouble wrapping my head around how to manipulate the data to get what you need and knowing what commands to use and how. But if you have prior experience in data it’s probably not so bad, I was working off of 15 year old database studies. It was a kind of a fun challenge though, like you know what data goes in to the system, and you know what question you need answered, and in between there is a logical puzzle of how to arrive at that answer.

I used datacamp.com mostly, I imagine there are better and even free-er resources available for SQL too but that was kinda fun and gamified. I also setup a free Google BigQuery which gave access to some big existing datasets for messing about in (BigQuery used some slightly custom SQL syntax though)

this is the truth. I haven't used SQL in a year or so and I honestly forget how to do queries lol. a quick refresher from the docs or a video would set me straight. we currently use a nosql db here at work and I have kinda grown to like it more

@Lurper  you can probably grab a pretty good course on Udemy on the cheap

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #997 on: May 27, 2022, 09:49:33 AM »
Getting a master is already opening doors. Graduated 2 weeks ago and am getting offers, good ones. Gotta do the paper work with HR but I got an incredible opportunity lined up for next year doing something quite different, but not completely
Support your local skate shop

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: May 27, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »
Getting a master is already opening doors. Graduated 2 weeks ago and am getting offers, good ones. Gotta do the paper work with HR but I got an incredible opportunity lined up for next year doing something quite different, but not completely

What was your field of study?

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #999 on: May 27, 2022, 12:43:59 PM »

That’s great, happy for you man. Being able to reap what you sow.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

waffle

• Rep: 127
« Reply #1000 on: May 27, 2022, 05:07:54 PM »
Fuck me.

Not to be a dick, but what kind of research role do you expect to get without strong stats knowledge? Any worthwhile “research” job-title carries that assumption. It may be a bummer but what good is research if it can’t be quantified? (Especially to the business paying you to do it).

On the sql side - creating the db is pretty simple. I’d recommend just following an online tutorial and then writing down some keywords. Queries can get much more complex, but I wouldn’t expect anything beyond basic aggregations and window functions. (Maybe not worth time to study). Check our vertabelo for query practice.

Any research job will also require basic (at the minimum) data skills, so it’s well worth the effort to brush those up.

I work as an applied scientist in faang. First role was on a team doing machine learning research. Have since transitioned to a team where my work is more focused on writing software. Love it. Good pay. WLB. Work often more satisfying than skating these days.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: May 28, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Not to be a dick, but what kind of research role do you expect to get without strong stats knowledge? Any worthwhile “research” job-title carries that assumption. It may be a bummer but what good is research if it can’t be quantified? (Especially to the business paying you to do it).

Any research job will also require basic (at the minimum) data skills, so it’s well worth the effort to brush those up.

I work as an applied scientist in faang. First role was on a team doing machine learning research. Have since transitioned to a team where my work is more focused on writing software. Love it. Good pay. WLB. Work often more satisfying than skating these days.

I'm going to push back on this for a few reasons:

1) The some of the biggest insights in the social sciences came from ethnographers, those who do interviews, and those who conduct experiments.

I think it is rather arrogant to dismiss the work of Goffman, Wacquant, the Adlers (despite their ethical issues), Milgram (different ethical issues), Gottdiener, and others who have done brilliant work and reframed the way we see the world.

2) Simply running regressions without any theoretical underpinnings leads to superficial results with little meaning. Fancy equations allow bad results to adorn themselves in the Emperor's New Clothes. "What you can't see how brilliant this is because of how complex my regression is?"

3) Those who have done the best research on skateboarders (Becky Beal, Ian Borden, and Ocean Howell) were all qualitative researchers. A data scientist just running the numbers on some skateboarders could very easily lead to superficial understandings of skaters... and maybe this is part of the reason there is yet to be a stand out quant study on skaters.

Finally, I think the the qual vs quant battle is rather silly, instead the two forms of research build upon one another. This is the first time I've ever had anyone approach me and say, "No research but quant research has value."

Dismissing the disciplines of anthropology, sociology, communications, social-psych, psych, the qual side of UX research (if we want to pretend UX is a discipline), because only crunching numbers has value comes off as rather offensive and arrogant.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:00:02 PM by TheLurper »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2022, 02:22:17 AM »
Bumping this thread because I'm looking for some advice and hope this is the right place:

Has anybody ever had any sort of successful career change?  I'm in my 40's, and in DIRE DIRE DIRE need of a career change/better job.  I have a "fancy toilet paper" Bacehlors in Fine Arts so that ain't helping.  I have looked into going back to school but it is nearly impossible to fit multiple classes into my schedule between work, kid, etc...

Has anybody had any success taking online courses?  Any advice at all would be appreciated.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2022, 03:44:21 PM »
Bumping this thread because I'm looking for some advice and hope this is the right place:

Has anybody ever had any sort of successful career change?  I'm in my 40's, and in DIRE DIRE DIRE need of a career change/better job.  I have a "fancy toilet paper" Bacehlors in Fine Arts so that ain't helping.  I have looked into going back to school but it is nearly impossible to fit multiple classes into my schedule between work, kid, etc...

Has anybody had any success taking online courses?  Any advice at all would be appreciated.
You’re fuckt!
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »

Hey bud. The field I was working in was starting to be no longer viable/worthwhile so I went back to school for a masters in 2019/2020 when I was 35. Covid came and everything went online for the remaining 2 years. Online school, at the masters level for a human services/health related field was great. It was a synchronous cohort model which kept me honest and working- had it been asynchronous and on me to get it done whenever, I would have failed horribly. I need accountability for something like school.

It was, in many ways, something very new- the field and higher education. It kicked my ass and its taken me the past 2.5 months since graduation to get back to baseline chill/calm.

With that, I start a brand new job tomorrow, doing something I'm quite new to. Its a good job too, for an organization I never in a million years would have dreamed of being eligible to work for, in fact I thought I couldn't work like this...

What do you want to do?

If I had had a different mindset and wasn't dealing with multiple injuries/chronic pain at the time, which has since subsided, I would have gotten a solar certification. Can do that at a community college at night in a relatively short period. Learn that shit and work for yourself or with a buddy. On the residential level, in my experience, it's clean work that's not half as physically demanding as most labor/contracting jobs and pay is good.

DM if u wanna chat more
Support your local skate shop

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1005 on: September 09, 2022, 11:52:32 AM »
I have a job

sacking rails

• Rep: -223
  • sacking rails
« Reply #1006 on: September 09, 2022, 11:56:36 AM »
working sucks

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #1007 on: September 09, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »

sacking rails

• Rep: -223
  • sacking rails
« Reply #1008 on: September 09, 2022, 12:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
working sucks
[close]
Big if true

i just hide in the bathroom and try to forget about it all

manysnakes

« Reply #1009 on: September 09, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »

I chanted careers in my late 30s. I took classes in computer networking (something I had already understood fairly well) at the community college, much of which were subsidized by the state under the auspices of “worker retraining”. Eventually I got an entry level job which required some knowledge of Linux, DNS, and general networking. Since then, over the four years I’ve been doing it, my pay has tripled and now I’m working for one of the largest companies in my field.

It definitely worked for me. I don’t know if other people will have the same success - I was already a computer geek from the time I was a little kid, so I came at it with an advantage. But I thought it was too late for me and it turned out not to be. My life is vastly better with my new career. I don’t know what you want to do but I would say it’s certainly possible to make the change.

manysnakes

« Reply #1010 on: September 09, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #1011 on: September 13, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »
That dilbert guy was right. Not about the racist stuff he got into later. But what the heck are you supposed to talk about in the office? I'm a receptionist I say hi to everybody, but I'm a new temp so I'm slowly getting to know people. I don't work with half of my floor (the 20-something worker-bees don't have meetings with outside guests) so I don't get many opportunities to talk to them. I've got a few friends here and there but I feel like not following football, lower east side bars or investment banking is gonna be a barrier. I mostly chat about the weather, the day of the week, what the execs are doing/what their mood is, dating and new pop records. Actually it's not too bad. I don't hate it all

I used to dishwash and at both of my jobs (one a small cafe, the other a huge event space in the city) I didn't speak enough spanish I don't think but I could talk to the chefs and everybody because food makes way more sense than finance mumbojumbo

Just venting
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1012 on: September 13, 2022, 02:44:42 PM »
Office chit-chat sucks. It is hard to give a shit about bro culture, the Voice, or some asshole's kid.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1013 on: September 13, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »
i have an interview tomorrow that i will be studying for tonight and i'm nervous as shit. its pretty stressful to know that this career could potentially be my life's work and i am fully aware that it could be a slog for decades that will require me to put skating and guitar scratching on the side for a while. gonna have to be SOOOO aggressive with my time management to juggle all these things.

i guess this is just part of growing up... sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:09:33 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #1014 on: September 13, 2022, 10:03:24 PM »
This happened

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1015 on: September 13, 2022, 10:37:52 PM »
Ridiculous

Where is Hause now…?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1016 on: September 14, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »
Legendary stuff @Freelancevagrant .  So hyped to see fellow blue collars get the recognition they deserve.

I’m having a rough go today.  When I’m out on installs by myself, I occasionally fuck up, but usually always remain cool, calm and collected.  Today I’m paired up with a coworker, who isn’t a bad guy, but I just can’t fucking stand to be around him.  And whenever something goes wrong, whether it’s his fault or mine, I see red and struggle not to flip out, sometimes do.  I really wish I was better at working with others and controlling my emotions, I just feel like I can’t think straight with other people hovering around.

WordIsBondo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1017 on: November 25, 2022, 02:04:28 PM »
Snowboard instructor in the winter and roofing with my uncle's company during the warm months.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1018 on: November 25, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »
Never!

artskool

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1019 on: November 26, 2022, 11:13:32 AM »
As both a BFA holder, and career switcher... I went to the artsiest fine arts school ever, and basically lucked into/was trapped in a 15 year career as a game designer. It had it's moments, but really wasn't what I ever wanted to do. I ended up quitting to stay home and raise my kid, while at the same time starting a company in a totally different field. I really underestimated was how critical having a social network in my new area. At that point I really only knew video game people and it really had zero overlap with my new project.

The specifics don't really matter, but in my experience it takes at least 7 or 8 years to rebuild a network in a new field. I'm in my mid 40's now, and kind of want to switch it up again but feel like the clock is ticking.