Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747307 times)

Juanjo789

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2100 on: April 20, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
Just ordered some 44's for my filmer set up. It seems to be a newer batch as this shop was out just a few weeks ago. Is there still QC issues or have they improved? I guess it doesnt matter as I've already rolled the dice. Still would be good to expect the worst than get blindsided.
sorry but could you explain what QC is? thx

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2101 on: April 20, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Just ordered some 44's for my filmer set up. It seems to be a newer batch as this shop was out just a few weeks ago. Is there still QC issues or have they improved? I guess it doesnt matter as I've already rolled the dice. Still would be good to expect the worst than get blindsided.
[close]
Sorry, I meant quality control. I've read a few accounts of slipped axels and blown out stock bushings. Was wondering if they corrected anything with the new batch or if it was still a wide spread issue.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2102 on: April 20, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Sorry, I meant quality control. I've read a few accounts of slipped axels and blown out stock bushings. Was wondering if they corrected anything with the new batch or if it was still a wide spread issue.

I don't know anyone that's had any major issues with theirs... the worst thing to happen to mine is some rattling but it's never affected my performance.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2103 on: April 21, 2020, 01:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I don't know anyone that's had any major issues with theirs... the worst thing to happen to mine is some rattling but it's never affected my performance.

I’ve gotten loose pins and bent axels on both 33 and 44 sets in the past months to a year :/

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2104 on: April 21, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »
Fuck it. They’re on the way. Ride the hell out of them. Expecting the worst is the best way to always get let down. Give ‘em hell, man!

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #2105 on: April 22, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I’ve gotten loose pins and bent axels on both 33 and 44 sets in the past months to a year :/

I don't skate drops, that's probably why

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2106 on: April 24, 2020, 01:04:34 AM »
When are the new ones coming out?

I hope the rumor of them being 55mm isn’t true, I love them being 52mm, perfect height
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2107 on: April 24, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
When are the new ones coming out?

I hope the rumor of them being 55mm isn’t true, I love them being 52mm, perfect height

With the world pretty much shutdown I doubt we're going to see them (or the Mindys) anytime soon.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2108 on: April 25, 2020, 08:08:55 PM »
Set mine up today and the they feel super tight untouched from factory tightness. After hearing everyone talk about the bushings hardening up and not to worry about it being too loose at first, I'm confused. Anyone else experience this? I'm nearing 200lbs too so its not a weight issue.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2109 on: April 25, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
Set mine up today and the they feel super tight untouched from factory tightness. After hearing everyone talk about the bushings hardening up and not to worry about it being too loose at first, I'm confused. Anyone else experience this? I'm nearing 200lbs too so its not a weight issue.

Instantly start swapping parts n’ pieces in and out and tighten and loosen the trucks in between maneuvers

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2110 on: April 25, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Instantly start swapping parts n’ pieces in and out and tighten and loosen the trucks in between maneuvers
hahahahaha

Diocletian

« Reply #2111 on: April 25, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
Might’ve gotten an older set with the rock hard stock bushings? I’m 210 and those new stock bushings get me pretty good wheelbite when I lean hard. Definitely far from a tight truck even at factory tightness.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2112 on: April 25, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
Might’ve gotten an older set with the rock hard stock bushings? I’m 210 and those new stock bushings get me pretty good wheelbite when I lean hard. Definitely far from a tight truck even at factory tightness.
Damn. Do I have to order new bushings after one session with them? What have I gotten myself into...

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2113 on: April 25, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn. Do I have to order new bushings after one session with them? What have I gotten myself into...
ace quality control in a nutshell
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Diocletian

« Reply #2114 on: April 26, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Not to defend Ace’s shit QC but I mean...you’ve had to do the same with Indy’s since ever until they switched to China and put good stocks in their trucks.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #2115 on: April 26, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »

loosen them just a bit and leave them. the bushings take a week or two before they start to feel good

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2116 on: April 26, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

loosen them just a bit and leave them. the bushings take a week or two before they start to feel good

Also check that the bushings were installed correctly from the factory cause Indy China qc messes this up sometimes

Make sure the bottom bushing(big cylinder one) has the face side of the bushings with the rings facing the washer, it honestly makes a difference
yes

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2117 on: April 27, 2020, 09:36:56 AM »
I am setting up a 8" and I have sold off my Indy 139s and venture 5.2s. I am looking at Ace 33s, but I have never used Ace before and would like some feedback first. I just do the basic old washed up skater shit..flatground fliptricks, quarter pipes, curbs and low ledges. Thanks guys.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2118 on: April 27, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
I am setting up a 8" and I have sold off my Indy 139s and venture 5.2s. I am looking at Ace 33s, but I have never used Ace before and would like some feedback first. I just do the basic old washed up skater shit..flatground fliptricks, quarter pipes, curbs and low ledges. Thanks guys.

What 8" deck?  How steep is it? How much flat between the bolts and tail kick?   

Flatter and more space is generally better with a truck with more offset like a Venture or Thunder.  Steeper with less space is often nicer with an Ace or Indy. 

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2119 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Does anyone else find that Ace bushings take FOREVER to break in? It's literally the only reason why I haven't fully switched to them.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2120 on: April 27, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
Does anyone else find that Ace bushings take FOREVER to break in? It's literally the only reason why I haven't fully switched to them.

I think that is what keeps people on ACE, they committed so much time to breaking them in they're too stubborn to switch.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2121 on: April 27, 2020, 12:37:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Flatter and more space is generally better with a truck with more offset like a Venture or Thunder.  Steeper with less space is often nicer with an Ace or Indy.
Its an Element with barely any flat before the kicks. I put 144 indys on it yesterday and it felt great other than the width. It severely bothers me being able to see the axle nuts. I was just going to pick up some 139s but I wanted to check here with you guys as Ace has interested Me for a while.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2122 on: April 27, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »

The new Dual Duro ones? Nope. I'm 180lbs and they feel great right out of the gate and only get better with time (and I ride loose).

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #2123 on: April 27, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Speaking of Ace and bushings, I just tried this but on Ace 33s:

Expand Quote
How are medium bones bushings on v3 aces
[close]
I use one on top only.

...and it's not bad. I mean fuck, I just did it today for one flatground session.

Originally I was using the Ace stock bushings, broken in. Everything was going well, but I noticed that the bottom bushings were riding over the edges of the washers a little bit. Got concerned that that could lead to a problem. Also, I noticed that when I pushed my board out on flat, it would always curve to the left (this is a usual problem of mine). Maybe I'm exposing my ignorance but I figured why not switch the bushings to the Bones medium bushings to see if it does anything.

So I did switch them, but I don't think double-cone bushings work well with Aces. I was previously using the Bones in a pair of Thunders with no issues (aside from the top washer and nut unable to fit on one truck until I gave myself an aneurysm forcing the top bushing down. It eventually worked).

Anyway, the Bones bushings in my Ace 33s turned well but felt unstable. So I decided to give Assflea's suggestion a try. It does feel more stable, and the board isn't curving to one side any longer, but now the bottom bushing is less visible in one truck than the other. Feels good, though. Maybe I just have to tighten the kingpins and everything will be perfect.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2124 on: April 27, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Its an Element with barely any flat before the kicks. I put 144 indys on it yesterday and it felt great other than the width. It severely bothers me being able to see the axle nuts. I was just going to pick up some 139s but I wanted to check here with you guys as Ace has interested Me for a while.

Ace 33s are dope.
Buy all the things, I’m in a deep spiral of talking myself into all kinds of bullshit.
That being said: give the setup a shot. You might end up really liking the .25 overhang. There are distinct advantages to trucks wider than board. Firstly: looks cool as fuck. Something something something stability and pinch

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #2125 on: April 27, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The new Dual Duro ones? Nope. I'm 180lbs and they feel great right out of the gate and only get better with time (and I ride loose).

anyway to visually tell which bushings are DD?

got two sets of Ace coming, was trying to wait for the redesign but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2126 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ace 33s are dope.
Buy all the things, I’m in a deep spiral of talking myself into all kinds of bullshit.
That being said: give the setup a shot. You might end up really liking the .25 overhang. There are distinct advantages to trucks wider than board. Firstly: looks cool as fuck. Something something something stability and pinch
Good points..I have used the .25 overhang on bigger setups and liked it. And tbh my tricks dont get much cleaner than yesterday. But what stuck out the most was when you said "Ace 33s are dope" So I have to order them.

Diocletian

« Reply #2127 on: April 27, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »

Their new stock and aftermarket bushings are soft. Shouldn’t take anymore than a sesh or two in warm/hot weather.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2128 on: April 27, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

got two sets of Ace coming, was trying to wait for the redesign but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

They came on the most recent ACE revision from day one as far as I know, so if you have those you have the dual duro. To tell what version trucks you have the easiest way is the size of the V (right?). It's bigger on the newer ones, I think it's fairly easy to tell if you look at pics.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2129 on: April 27, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, I bought a pair right before the crazy happened. Glad I did. Even after we're out, gonna be a while before we see them. IF we see them. I won't be surprised of a lot of the companies don't make it through this. Here's hoping!