Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747479 times)

Mantracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2490 on: August 28, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »
I've read in here a few times about the pivot cups or bushings squeaking and I'd like to narrow it down. I have a pair of 44 that are new but just now broken in but still making that squeaking sound on turns and rocking back and forth.

Is that for sure the pivot cup?

Do i need soap or wax shavings in there? What actually works the best?

CAaegir

• Rep: 2
    • Aegir Boardworks avatar image
« Reply #2491 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »
Speed cream or a similar lube in the pivot cup solves that. Yeah it happens every now and then, super easy fix
Aegir Boardworks
Brooklyn's Surf & Skate Shop Since 2012
www.aegirboardworks.com

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2492 on: August 29, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
I've read in here a few times about the pivot cups or bushings squeaking and I'd like to narrow it down. I have a pair of 44 that are new but just now broken in but still making that squeaking sound on turns and rocking back and forth.

From my experience auto grease lasts the longest. Wax or bearing lube only lasts a few days for me.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 59
« Reply #2493 on: August 29, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »

Silicone grease from a tube, pinch of that to pivot keeps the squeak away for months.

Diocletian

« Reply #2494 on: August 29, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
Easiest fix for pivot cups is a crayon. I color the crap out of each cup and even the top perimeter and the squeak goes away for a good month or so.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #2495 on: August 29, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Time to get my lube on

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2496 on: August 29, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
I wax the pivot itself on brand new trucks but that's just to get them feeling loose. The squeak will likely return once you've worn through the wax. I personally like noisy trucks so its more to speed up the break in process.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2497 on: August 29, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
Just got some riptide pivot cups for my aces, haven’t skated them yet, but they don’t seem completely flush in there like the old ones? Like a tiny bit still sticks out ever so much on the inner side.

Probably not a big deal, just wondering if anyone has seen the same thing?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2498 on: August 29, 2020, 09:30:56 PM »
Just got some riptide pivot cups for my aces, haven’t skated them yet, but they don’t seem completely flush in there like the old ones? Like a tiny bit still sticks out ever so much on the inner side.

Perfectly fine man! Happened with every set I’ve had.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2499 on: August 30, 2020, 03:49:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Perfectly fine man! Happened with every set I’ve had.

Haha cool, thanks man

Reptilian

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2500 on: August 31, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »
Many people using 55s with 8.625 decks? I'm riding an 8.8 Passport with my 55s now and I love it but wouldn't mind going a bit smaller if they don't hot rod too much.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #2501 on: August 31, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
Many people using 55s with 8.625 decks? I'm riding an 8.8 Passport with my 55s now and I love it but wouldn't mind going a bit smaller if they don't hot rod too much.

Did it on a Quasi 8.62 with no problems at all, but I'm also riding Venture 6.1s on a 8.38 right now so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Death before magic carpet.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2502 on: August 31, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »

I'm skating 55s on 8.625 currently and have skated 55s on an 8.5 many times as well. Love it honestly

Reptilian

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2503 on: September 01, 2020, 04:26:18 AM »
Thanks I'll give it a crack then for sure

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2504 on: September 08, 2020, 03:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any tips on riding ace loose without the nut coming loose?  i tried taking off the bottom washer, but they keep getting squirrely over the course of the session.  gonna put the bottom washer back on and try it without the top.
[close]
I rode them pretty loose for awhile and just kept tightening  the nut while I was skating. It took awhile but it eventually stopped getting loose
[close]

i went back to using both washers after trying no bottom, and then no top washer.  i was having to tighten my trucks several times in a session it was a drag.  just gonna deal with it

There's something wrong with Ace stock nuts, changing them worked out for me.

Stocked pair of 44 for possible size change, current axle width is perfect for 8.25 and 8.38 decks.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2505 on: September 10, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
this is barely an update but ace's online store is now only displaying polished and matte black trucks, and they've been updated from "sold out" to "coming soon"
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2506 on: September 12, 2020, 08:30:06 AM »

These 44s came in like this, weird...
Ofc I got the fat chick with tight clothes syndrome like you can see.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2507 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »
Loosen them. They don't take long to break in and then they toughen up.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2508 on: September 12, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
Anyone grinded down to the axle on their Aces? Let's see some photos!

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2509 on: September 12, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »

My 44’s

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #2510 on: September 12, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »

The local had a bunch of 55s in stock so I got my first pair of Ace, only a short curb session but I like them a lot so far. I had to loosen them from stock some.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2511 on: September 12, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »

The local had a bunch of 55s in stock so I got my first pair of Ace, only a short curb session but I like them a lot so far. I had to loosen them from stock some.

Put them back to how they were stock and skate them that way for 3 weeks is the consensus response at this point.

cjt

« Reply #2512 on: September 13, 2020, 06:25:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Put them back to how they were stock and skate them that way for 3 weeks is the consensus response at this point.

alright I'll try that!

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2513 on: September 13, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My 44’s

NOICE!!

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2514 on: September 13, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

alright I'll try that!

Definitely do what feels right, but Ace bushings are notorious for feeling great at first, hardening after a session or two, then gradually becoming uniquely amazing over the next several hours after that. I speak as a fellow loosener who had to tighten again once the break in period was over on my 55s (first pair of Aces) but let them be on subsequent pairs. But like I say, it's all preference in the end.

cjt

« Reply #2515 on: September 13, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

alright I'll try that!
[close]

Definitely do what feels right, but Ace bushings are notorious for feeling great at first, hardening after a session or two, then gradually becoming uniquely amazing over the next several hours after that. I speak as a fellow loosener who had to tighten again once the break in period was over on my 55s (first pair of Aces) but let them be on subsequent pairs. But like I say, it's all preference in the end.

Yeah I got to the session and could barely turn even with the nut almost falling off! I ended up taking the top washer off for the session, but I'm still down with the idea of riding it stock tightness until it finally breaks in.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #2516 on: September 13, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
Would 55s work well on a zip zagger? Or would 44s be better?

chappers

« Reply #2517 on: September 14, 2020, 01:48:53 AM »
Would 55s work well on a zip zagger? Or would 44s be better?

55’s would hotrod massively. 44’s would be fine but depending on wheel width you might get some hotrodding still

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2518 on: September 14, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »

Peek-a-boo!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2519 on: September 26, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
Sup y'all, happy Saturday. I was just sitting here contemplating for a bit, and I am very hung up on the fact that I vastly prefer my 44s to my 55s even though 55s kind of make more sense in most applications.

For some background, I'm 6'3", size 11, and mostly skate curbs and mellow transitions. As far as boards go, I like an 8.5"-8.75" popsicle or a 9"-9.25" shaped.

I have a set of 44s and 55s that are both about the same age, but the 44s just feel significantly better to me...less bite, lock into grinds better, better pop, better turn. Why do they feel so much better? I want to like the 55s more because they're wider and fit the boards I like a little better, but every single time I skate the 44s it's just a consistently better session. The only reason I ever go back is because I get the madness and think, "these are too small, they look like toy trucks" (I never think this when I see them on other people's boards) and the cycle repeats. I kinda felt the same way with Indys, that 149s always felt way better than 159s to me.

Anyway, any insight some of you might have would be vastly appreciated, even if it is just stating the obvious (that I am overthinking this).