Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738948 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2670 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
This thread has lead me to pick up some Aces. Thanks.

What are your favorite decks to pair with Ace 44’s? Steep or Mellow kicks? Long or Short wheelbase?

I’m using an 8.5 Isle deck with 14.5 wheelbase on Indy 149s at the moment but I’m looking to try an 8.3-8.375 maybe not BBS.
[close]

Really been enjoying Polar 8.5 shape with ace 44. Its 32.125 long and 14.5 wheelbase. On the steeper side I would say. Also really good trucks on DLX 8.5 shape.

Skating the same setup right now and really enjoying it
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #2671 on: November 19, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
They are also Ace Hi's, which I notice Ace doesn't even sell anymore. So I may have gotten some older version of Ace's.

Sounds like your axel is bent dude. Even though your wheels might sit even, check how they're wearing. If they're coning inward, with the outside being larger than the inside, your axel is bent. Even the new Ace's will bend, if you're on an old set I bet that's what happened. The pivot cups suck too, so it might be a combination.

Diocletian

« Reply #2672 on: November 19, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
I've learned that Riptide pivot cups are essential. The new China Indy's stock pivot cups are the only tolerable stock pivot cups. The rest are a detriment to how a truck could actually perform if the pivot cavity didn't have garbage urethane inside of it. Ace's aftermarket cups will be decent for a short while then lose their magic, you have to keep using a crayon inside so it doesn't squeak and feel shitty just like all the other cups. Riptide's stay consistently amazing throughout their whole life.

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2673 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
I've learned that Riptide pivot cups are essential. The new China Indy's stock pivot cups are the only tolerable stock pivot cups. The rest are a detriment to how a truck could actually perform if the pivot cavity didn't have garbage urethane inside of it. Ace's aftermarket cups will be decent for a short while then lose their magic, you have to keep using a crayon inside so it doesn't squeak and feel shitty just like all the other cups. Riptide's stay consistently amazing throughout their whole life.

I plan on putting some RipTides pivot cups in my Aces soon. I put their pivot cups and their 90a Krank bushings in my other trucks and am very happy with them. The stock pivot cups in my Indy 149 Ti were trash.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2674 on: November 20, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Does any body ride/has ridden the 02/03 low trucks? Do they turn deeper than other brand low trucks?

I got Indy lows once and gave them away after one day since they didn't turn for shit, but now I'm setting up a 7.5-7.75 so I want some lower trucks.
[close]

I have tried my homie Dayo's 03s I was shocked at the performance.

They turned nicely. I wanna say they had some red Indy replacement parts? Hard to remember. Much tighter setup than I would ride.

It's like these two extinct trucks had a baby.

Cool, thank you!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2675 on: November 20, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »
Expand Quote
They are also Ace Hi's, which I notice Ace doesn't even sell anymore. So I may have gotten some older version of Ace's.
[close]

Sounds like your axel is bent dude. Even though your wheels might sit even, check how they're wearing. If they're coning inward, with the outside being larger than the inside, your axel is bent. Even the new Ace's will bend, if you're on an old set I bet that's what happened. The pivot cups suck too, so it might be a combination.

Yo! You might be on to something. I skated a really dirty park and the wheels were clearly more black towards the center, indicating some unevenness:

https://imgur.com/yA7SDE2

Here are some vids. Do these look pretty jacked to anyone else? Seems pretty wobbly to me, but I'm not sure what is normal.

https://youtu.be/SX5plUfC4xs

https://youtu.be/--PcJo5MJQk

Honestly, pivot cups look fine:

https://youtu.be/9IzVx6f2IQY

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2676 on: November 20, 2020, 04:51:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yo! You might be on to something. I skated a really dirty park and the wheels were clearly more black towards the center, indicating some unevenness:

Here are some vids. Do these look pretty jacked to anyone else? Seems pretty wobbly to me, but I'm not sure what is normal.

Presuming those bearings are properly seated, them things is toast.
Sorry homey.
Warrantee, maybe?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2677 on: November 20, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like your axel is bent dude.
[close]

LOOKS like the axles are bent from the hurdy gurdy spinning of the trucks.

Actually kinda cool to see them like that.  We usually would line up a metal square / ruler (or something long and flat) along the hanger and see if the axles went all the way parallel with it (straight) or if they were angled down (bent).

Check with the shop you got them at, or email the supplier.

Also in the name, most companies leave out the "HI" or the taller version of trucks are just "standard height" with only the lower or special versions being given specific extra names.

Failing all that, you can use a hammer and straighten them back out if there is no warranty options.  I have done that quite often and it works.  Keep the wheel nut on, sit the truck on the baseplate with just the wheel nut on a curb or brick or something and hammer the end of the hanger closest to the curb.  Turn them around and repeat at the other end.  Use your eye level against something flat to check if they are back to level or not, before belting them too many times and having them bent up.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:02:16 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2678 on: November 20, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »
Yeah as noted, if those bearings are seated correctly they're bent af. I'd hit up ACE via Insta

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #2679 on: November 21, 2020, 12:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Everyone should try the axle straightness test.

The guy who taught me that test is was a longboard designer and engineer. He said that most regular trucks have a slight bend, it’s almost unavoidable when the metal of the truck cools around the axle in the casting process.

The only ‘true’ straight axles you can get, as far as I know, are CNCed longboarding racing trucks, where demands for precision are much higher
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #2680 on: November 21, 2020, 03:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup, them bois bent

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2681 on: November 21, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
Everyone should try the axle straightness test.

The guy who taught me that test is was a longboard designer and engineer. He said that most regular trucks have a slight bend, it’s almost unavoidable when the metal of the truck cools around the axle in the casting process.

The only ‘true’ straight axles you can get, as far as I know, are CNCed longboarding racing trucks, where demands for precision are much higher
I've heard this before, as well.
Probably here, actually.
Gotta say, I don't know... I got worried about it & came home to "inspect" every truck I had that way; wife thought I had gone crazy & was on some Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of shit with all of these boards getting their hangers spun. Didn't find any bent ones though.
I'm a little skeptical on that claim, now, as surely 1 out of 10 "newish" trucks (3 diffewrent brands) should've have shown at least some detectable sign of a manufacturing process-based wobble.
Not to call BS on your longboarder friend's assertion, but I chalked this one up to Truck Madness & gear nerdery.
As an unrelated aside, @cucktard, I've taken to pronouncing your username the same way we "americans" say say mustard, but with cuck where must should be. There was no reason at all for me to share that.
I'll see myself to the door, now.
Good day.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2682 on: November 21, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
@Lou Strux @Xen @Mbrimson88 @IpathCats Thanks for taking a look and for the input dudes! I hit up Ace on IG to see what they can do.

@cucktard thanks for sharing that axle test earlier in the thread, really helped me get to the bottom of this.

Also in the name, most companies leave out the "HI" or the taller version of trucks are just "standard height" with only the lower or special versions being given specific extra names.

Thanks. Now that I look at it, most web stores (skatewarehouse, tactics, etc) call standard Ace models "HI". So I think I actually do have relatively recent, standard Ace 44's.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2683 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes
niggling

[/quote]

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2684 on: November 25, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
Last I heard it was Spring 2021 but I would not be surprised if it is longer than that. They've been very quiet about it and just got a bunch of the existing models shipped out.

I'm in the same boat as you. An 8.75" axle will fit all the decks I am likely to ride.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2685 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes

I know this was recommended more with the older Ace bushings, but Krux tops work just as well with the new Ace bottom bushings, if you can find them.

ogvados

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2686 on: November 29, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
I broke a kingpin today, first time in my life. I was surprised when I found new one in my hardware stash. Did anyone else break the kingpin on Ace trucks?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2687 on: November 29, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know this was recommended more with the older Ace bushings, but Krux tops work just as well with the new Ace bottom bushings, if you can find them.

I dunno, the Krux top is fairly standard size, which is quite a bit smaller than the Ace tops so you'll be way looser at the same nut position. I'd say Venture top might be best bet for a size match. Or just try whatever you have and tighten the nut more.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2688 on: November 29, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2689 on: November 29, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying

I know a couple of others who always had this issue no matter what trucks they used (but was way more so on Thunders and older versions of Indy trucks), because their bottom bushing was always compressed so much that it caused the hanger to sit too close to the kingpin.  The height of the bottom bushing has a huge impact on this, so it would be interesting to see a pic from the side.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2690 on: November 30, 2020, 03:43:56 AM »
For a change I want to tell that I set up new Aces couple weeks ago, loose 'em up a bit and after couple ledge/curb sesssions they feel fucking great. No issues this time! 8)

kenjiro

« Reply #2691 on: November 30, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2692 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.

Yes, that would be a good remedy imo - I notice a quicker, lighter response from Ace.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2693 on: December 01, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »
Has anyone ridden Ace 55s on a 8.68 deck?

I know the axle is 9" but I thought it might work better than the 44s since the "max size" listed on their website is 8.5.

I ask because I went black Friday crazy and bought a Black Label 8.68 with Ace 55s and now I'm wondering if it will work.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2694 on: December 01, 2020, 07:39:28 AM »

I know the axle is 9" but I thought it might work better than the 44s since the "max size" listed on their website is 8.5.

I ask because I went black Friday crazy and bought a Black Label 8.68 with Ace 55s and now I'm wondering if it will work.

It should work, I wouldn't kick the wheels all the way out though.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2695 on: December 01, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »

Just put both washers outside the wheels (you can do no washer inside with Ace) and you'll be good. I do that with my 55s on anything where I would normally want an 8.75" truck.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2696 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
I rode 8.5s, 55s, and <52mm wheels for a solid 9 months last year.  It's not ideal for how I want to skate now (I'm all the way down to 8.25 trucks now) but I do love the combination.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2697 on: December 01, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Sick. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll have to post the set up once I get it put together.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2698 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
I've used 44s on 8.5 up to 8.75

and 55s on 8.5 up to 9.8 shaped boards.

I'm a broken record here and while all the above combos worked, Ace really need something between 44 and 55.

IpathCats

« Reply #2699 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

I've broken/sprained my feet/ankles multiple times. Before my last bad injury I was riding 8.75 with indy 159 titanium. After surgery and physical therapy getting on that board felt impossible to maneuver, so I sized down to 8.5 and ace 44's and it helped a good bit.