Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743969 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2640 on: November 07, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »
Every time I try to skate anything else, I come back to Ace, specifically the 44s.

One of the locals here got some in so I gripped a new set. Was feeling kind of bad about spending the money but ended up hitting axle later that day. Might flip them front to back and keep running them but we shall see.

I've been skating mine on an 8.5 Hockey with 56mm loopholes and no risers. I get wheelbite about the same as I do on indys with 53s and harder bushings, which is pretty amazing. The combo of the Aces with the 56s is something I never thought I would be into but I just can't quit it.

Rambling, just psyched on Aces.
aces and 56 loopholes are a great match! I rock that combo with 1/8 risers and don’t notice any wheel bite

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #2641 on: November 07, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

Xen turned me onto these. If you guys wanna take your Ace's to an insane level, run these with the stock bushings and Riptide pivot cups. They work like Bones bushings having a core to always snap back to center, but these will pretty much last forever. Pricey, I know, but definitely worth it.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2642 on: November 08, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
Does any body ride/has ridden the 02/03 low trucks? Do they turn deeper than other brand low trucks?

I got Indy lows once and gave them away after one day since they didn't turn for shit, but now I'm setting up a 7.5-7.75 so I want some lower trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2643 on: November 08, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
Does any body ride/has ridden the 02/03 low trucks? Do they turn deeper than other brand low trucks?

I got Indy lows once and gave them away after one day since they didn't turn for shit, but now I'm setting up a 7.5-7.75 so I want some lower trucks.

They do and with less wheel bite!

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2644 on: November 08, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They do and with less wheel bite!

Thanks G!

chrisskates808

« Reply #2645 on: November 08, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
Baseplate looks super sick!

Diocletian

« Reply #2646 on: November 08, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
Anyone know if Diamond risers fit Ace’s perfectly without sticking out on any side?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2647 on: November 08, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
Anyone know if Diamond risers fit Ace’s perfectly without sticking out on any side?

Some of the old ones do from what I've seen, but the current ones do not. They're under a little at the inside bolts and stick out at the end.

IpathCats

« Reply #2648 on: November 09, 2020, 03:58:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some of the old ones do from what I've seen, but the current ones do not. They're under a little at the inside bolts and stick out at the end.
Get indy rubber risers and cut them

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2649 on: November 09, 2020, 07:31:28 PM »
how's the kingpin clearance on the 03s?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2650 on: November 10, 2020, 06:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Get indy rubber risers and cut them

When I do use risers (mostly with 55s) I like Lucky the best. Slotted and they line up nicely. If Lucky are too soft for your tastes, Modus are are good.They do stick out a tiny bit but it is nice and even on all sides, and they're hard so it doesn't mess up your slides.

That being said, no idea why Ace doesn't make risers of their own.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2651 on: November 10, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Ace truck axel nut fell off while trying to lock into a fs 180 nosegrind. This was when Ace was doing axel nuts that were the same size as a hardware nut. Got layed out and winded from that.

Saw Skrotum brought this up in a thread on gear failure, and it piqued my interest. Somehow I was unaware of Ace having hardware nut sized axel nuts, missed that completely. What's the deal with these? Was it right when they were starting out in 2006 or whatever? Anyone have photos of these? Can't find anything on google images.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

chrisskates808

« Reply #2652 on: November 10, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace truck axel nut fell off while trying to lock into a fs 180 nosegrind. This was when Ace was doing axel nuts that were the same size as a hardware nut. Got layed out and winded from that.
[close]

Saw Skrotum brought this up in a thread on gear failure, and it piqued my interest. Somehow I was unaware of Ace having hardware nut sized axel nuts, missed that completely. What's the deal with these? Was it right when they were starting out in 2006 or whatever? Anyone have photos of these? Can't find anything on google images.
I collected a whole bunch of those 3/8 axle nuts but ace stopped making it at V4.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #2653 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »

.38 Specials
Enjoy your life.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2654 on: November 10, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96525.0

38 Specials they were called. A very...odd design choice. No nylock insert. Retention was achieved through a slightly ovalized shape to the hole, sort of pinched it in place. Problem being, every time your adjusted, rotated wheels, swapped bearings, whatever, the hole got less and less oval, and you just end up with a floating axle nut and no tension. I suppose if you never touched them until the truck was dust, it'd work....maybe.

Edit: see above, beat me to it.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2655 on: November 11, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
This thread has lead me to pick up some Aces. Thanks.

What are your favorite decks to pair with Ace 44’s? Steep or Mellow kicks? Long or Short wheelbase?

I’m using an 8.5 Isle deck with 14.5 wheelbase on Indy 149s at the moment but I’m looking to try an 8.3-8.375 maybe not BBS. 

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2656 on: November 11, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

What are your favorite decks to pair with Ace 44’s? Steep or Mellow kicks? Long or Short wheelbase?

I’m using an 8.5 Isle deck with 14.5 wheelbase on Indy 149s at the moment but I’m looking to try an 8.3-8.375 maybe not BBS.

Really been enjoying Polar 8.5 shape with ace 44. Its 32.125 long and 14.5 wheelbase. On the steeper side I would say. Also really good trucks on DLX 8.5 shape.

j0llysnowman

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2657 on: November 11, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »

I'm a noob, but I've got an Anti-Hero 8.25 and 54mm 99a Conical Fulls. Sometimes I think about an 8.06" because I have small feet. Only ride transition.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2658 on: November 11, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »
my favorite deck to pair with ace 44s was the short quasi 8.25 with the 14.25 wb (I think they do a longer one too). fit perfect with 56mm conical fulls. I'd get annoyed with that shape because 144/148s were too small but 149s were too big. goldilocks trucks for that shape. I'm pretty sure habitat, gx1000 and wknd do a shape like that too.

wish instead of just doing the same sizes as everything else they'd do one in the middle of the 44 and 55, something like a hair smaller than a 159 or something, they'd probably go perfect on the short quasi 8.5s. the taper of those towards the back truck can be kinda madness inducing if you like your see your wheels but not have your stuff looking like a monster truck.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2659 on: November 16, 2020, 06:01:44 PM »
Alright. Bout to go insane.

I've ridden Indy's for 10 years.

About a year ago, I switched to Ace 44. They were great. Loved how they turned.

The one day I started noticing my board was feeling weird-- stiff/wonky turns and this strange 'hollow' feeling, especially when skating down the street. Really really abrasive ride. And generally the board has been feeling slower, and inconsistent speed-wise too-- like depending how my weight is on it, it just slows down for no reason (it's not wheelbiting), or just feels like i'm pushing up hill all the time.

Obviously, I thought it was the wheels. I switched those (twice), as well as bearings, and removed the riser pads thinking maybe those were the problem. Also thought it might be the deck, thinking it was soggy, so been through a couple of those. Nothing. Still feeling stiff, slow, and just wonky. The only thing left in my troubleshooting is the Ace's.

Has anyone experienced some shit like this? Any ideas on what I should try? Is there some way I can check and see if my Aces are bent or something?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2660 on: November 16, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »

The one day I started noticing my board was feeling weird-- stiff/wonky turns and this strange 'hollow' feeling, especially when skating down the street. Really really abrasive ride. And generally the board has been feeling slower, and inconsistent speed-wise too-- like depending how my weight is on it, it just slows down for no reason (it's not wheelbiting), or just feels like i'm pushing up hill all the time.

Obviously, I thought it was the wheels. I switched those (twice), as well as bearings, and removed the riser pads thinking maybe those were the problem. Also thought it might be the deck, thinking it was soggy, so been through a couple of those. Nothing. Still feeling stiff, slow, and just wonky. The only thing left in my troubleshooting is the Ace's.

Has anyone experienced some shit like this? Any ideas on what I should try? Is there some way I can check and see if my Aces are bent or something?

Did you try new pivot cups/bushings? Do you have loose kingpins?

If they are bent, you can tell by looking at the road surface area of the wheels when on flat ground, if the wheel isn't sitting flat, probably bent.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 06:24:48 PM by Xen »

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #2661 on: November 16, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Really been enjoying Polar 8.5 shape with ace 44. Its 32.125 long and 14.5 wheelbase. On the steeper side I would say. Also really good trucks on DLX 8.5 shape.

Thanks for all the the input. I went with an 8.375/ 14.5 wb Polar deck. I am planning to use some risers and 56mm Radials or Conical Fulls.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #2662 on: November 16, 2020, 06:48:03 PM »
my favorite deck to pair with ace 44s was the short quasi 8.25 with the 14.25 wb (I think they do a longer one too). fit perfect with 56mm conical fulls. I'd get annoyed with that shape because 144/148s were too small but 149s were too big. goldilocks trucks for that shape. I'm pretty sure habitat, gx1000 and wknd do a shape like that too.

wish instead of just doing the same sizes as everything else they'd do one in the middle of the 44 and 55, something like a hair smaller than a 159 or something, they'd probably go perfect on the short quasi 8.5s. the taper of those towards the back truck can be kinda madness inducing if you like your see your wheels but not have your stuff looking like a monster truck.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.
I’ve been wanting to try a Quasi or WKND deck. One of those will be the next deck I pair with Aces. Or perhaps a 5boro.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2663 on: November 16, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If they are bent, you can tell by looking at the road surface area of the wheels when on flat ground, if the wheel isn't sitting flat, probably bent.

betting my ass it's the shitty ass pivot cups ace use. that would explain the tipping or hollow feeling. the metal nub probably rubs against metal, creating a groovy sensation, that kills all the temptation.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2664 on: November 17, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

betting my ass it's the shitty ass pivot cups ace use. that would explain the tipping or hollow feeling. the metal nub probably rubs against metal, creating a groovy sensation, that kills all the temptation.

Thanks Xen and Frank!

The wheels are level as can be, so I don't think axle is bent bent.

Have not tried new bushings, was trying for that stock Ace experience but I might try that at some point.

Pivot cups look OK from what I can see externally but I agree with Frank that it could have something to do with the erratic behavior. It has also been the LOUDEST setup i have ever ridden since i started having issues, so the metal-on-metal theory makes sense. I'm gonna try and take them apart and see if either one is shredded.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2665 on: November 17, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
They are also Ace Hi's, which I notice Ace doesn't even sell anymore. So I may have gotten some older version of Ace's.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2666 on: November 17, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »
yeah maybe the nub broke through, and the rim is fine from the outside. you describing it as hollow sounds like the truck resonates, which lead me to thinking there is some metal on metal action going on. either that or that axle could be knocked loose and rattle, but then you would have needed to knock em back right frequently. i am thinking this because i had this same thing with a set of thunders at some point, and the pivot was the culprit. they felt rattly and misaligned, but everything seemed fine except pivot cups. most underrated part of a truck imo, i'm sure a lot of people never think about them when something is wrong with their trucks.

aces are notorious for having shit stock pivot cups, too. and i think without shaving off the top, no standard cups fit, so the custom fitted bushings and pivots are probably to make some money after the truck sale.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2667 on: November 17, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »

I have tried my homie Dayo's 03s I was shocked at the performance.

They turned nicely. I wanna say they had some red Indy replacement parts? Hard to remember. Much tighter setup than I would ride.

It's like these two extinct trucks had a baby.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mongoloid

« Reply #2668 on: November 17, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
38 specials are the only truck I’ve ever had my wheels fall off riding.

That axle nut does not stay put.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2669 on: November 18, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks Xen and Frank!

The wheels are level as can be, so I don't think axle is bent bent.

Have not tried new bushings, was trying for that stock Ace experience but I might try that at some point.

Pivot cups look OK from what I can see externally but I agree with Frank that it could have something to do with the erratic behavior. It has also been the LOUDEST setup i have ever ridden since i started having issues, so the metal-on-metal theory makes sense. I'm gonna try and take them apart and see if either one is shredded.
I'm all for keeping the stock bushings, but I did wear through the pivot cup rather fast.
Even when I took them out to replace them, they weren't thrashed by any means but I was getting that weird hollow/loose kingpin feeling. I'm sure the material getting thinner provides a looser fit causing that.
Luckily after replacing them with Ace aftermarket pivot cups I haven't had an issue after months of skating. I've seen a bunch of people recommend other brands of aftermarket pivot cups, but I only could get Ace replacements much quicker at the time and they seem to be just fine.