Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738893 times)

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2760 on: December 21, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
Thinking of getting some aces to bring in the WB on the 8.5 Polar's. Is it worth getting riptide bushings?

Though I do enjoy RipTide bushings in other trucks I found no reason to use them in Aces. I really like the Ace bushings.

When I started using the 44’s I had pretty minimal and short lived bushing bulge. I just ignored it and it stopped happening fairly quickly. I do use the RipTide pivot cups though.

I am also really enjoying using the 44’s on this 8.375 / 14.5wb Polar deck.

pops

• Rep: 218
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2761 on: December 21, 2020, 07:57:40 PM »
been riding indy 149/159 for years and would like to try some Ace 44s. Never had a bad set of indys so I'm a bit scared to try anything new. Should I just go for it?  ;D

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2762 on: December 21, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »
been riding indy 149/159 for years and would like to try some Ace 44s. Never had a bad set of indys so I'm a bit scared to try anything new. Should I just go for it?  ;D
yes you should >;-D

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2763 on: December 21, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »

I'd like to say you won't regret it. I rode nothing but indy's until I was gifted a set of 55s and never looked back. Currently running a set of 44s on my regular setup, 66s on a curb setup and 00s on a little cruiser.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2764 on: December 21, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd like to say you won't regret it. I rode nothing but indy's until I was gifted a set of 55s and never looked back. Currently running a set of 44s on my regular setup, 66s on a curb setup and 00s on a little cruiser.
how’s the jump from 55 to 66?

KillDayoy

« Reply #2765 on: December 21, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
how’s the jump from 55 to 66?

I skated the trucks pretty different, the 55s were on my one and only setup for over a year and I have the 66s on more of a niche setup since getting laid off due to covid and having way too much free time has led me to having multiple setups for the first time haha. That being said the only huge difference I'm getting out of the 66s is that they can fully get on top of a double sided curb, which I'm really digging and they fit 10" plus boards better.

pops

« Reply #2766 on: December 22, 2020, 06:40:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good to hear! Then I will try a pair of 44s since I ride 8.5 boards mostly. Maybe get 55s for summer and for a bigger board.

KillDayoy

« Reply #2767 on: December 22, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good to hear! Then I will try a pair of 44s since I ride 8.5 boards mostly. Maybe get 55s for summer and for a bigger board.
Hell yeah they feel great on 8.5! If you want them to fit a little more flush with the board, run 2 washers on the inside of each wheel

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #2768 on: December 22, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
I know this has been discussed before, but whatsup with that dead pop sound ace gives some boards. I have 55s set up on a creature stump and it has that crisp pop sound and feel when you hit the tail on the ground. I also have 44s on a shop deck that sounds dull and dead. I know it's the trucks because I just switched that board from 149 FH and it was crisp and snappy as hell on those.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2769 on: December 22, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »
Could it be because Aces are lower than indys resulting in the tail hitting the ground differently?

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #2770 on: December 22, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
Could it be because Aces are lower than indys resulting in the tail hitting the ground differently?
To clarify it's not when I am ollieing, it's when I amholding the board and hit the underside of the tail on the ground to check the pop.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2771 on: December 22, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
To clarify it's not when I am ollieing, it's when I amholding the board and hit the underside of the tail on the ground to check the pop.

Pretty sure it is the aluminum, which is different in Ace than other brands. 7071 vs. 356 (Indy, etc.). It is also what gives Ace its softer feel during grinds.

I personally love it, but I can see why some people don't.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2772 on: December 22, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »

No, it sounds this way even when holding board in hand and tapping the ground with tail. My theory is the soft metal of the baseplates has a deadening quality.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #2773 on: December 22, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, it sounds this way even when holding board in hand and tapping the ground with tail. My theory is the soft metal of the baseplates has a deadening quality.
Interesting theory! It kind of reminds me of a waterlogged board...but ya know, not bad.

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2774 on: December 22, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
So can anyone vouch for these for skating street only? I always heard they are better for transition skaters but I’m interested in the short wheelbase they make but  skate mainly street

hot take

« Reply #2775 on: December 22, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
So can anyone vouch for these for skating street only? I always heard they are better for transition skaters but I’m interested in the short wheelbase they make but  skate mainly street
I have short legs and have a hard time skating Indy,thunder, or venture. I feel I can Ollie higher and flip my board way easier on ace. The only downside that I’ve personally noticed is I have a harder time doing front and backside krooked grinds. And I slip out of back smith grinds a lot easier. Maybe it’s the design/geometry of the truck?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2776 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »

I pretty much only skate street and my Aces are fine. They feel best on steeper kicks and few fingers of flat for me. Mellow kicks and too much flat with Aces feel good for manuals and smaller tricks but make my pop too light and doesn’t work out for me.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2777 on: December 23, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have short legs and have a hard time skating Indy,thunder, or venture. I feel I can Ollie higher and flip my board way easier on ace. The only downside that I’ve personally noticed is I have a harder time doing front and backside krooked grinds. And I slip out of back smith grinds a lot easier. Maybe it’s the design/geometry of the truck?

I skate mostly street and yeah getting a good comfortable pinch is a little hard on aces but still possible (but some ledges idk why it just doesntwork)

this is mainly why I was considering getting risers for aces, I feel like being 3mm taller would make pinch a little easier to sit on and pop out of but idk

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2778 on: December 24, 2020, 05:11:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I pretty much only skate street and my Aces are fine. They feel best on steeper kicks and few fingers of flat for me. Mellow kicks and too much flat with Aces feel good for manuals and smaller tricks but make my pop too light and doesn’t work out for me.

not an ace fan but nick boserio, jacopo and SLAPs personal favorite Vinny bahn skate ace  and rip
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

hot take

« Reply #2779 on: December 24, 2020, 06:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I skate mostly street and yeah getting a good comfortable pinch is a little hard on aces but still possible (but some ledges idk why it just doesntwork)

this is mainly why I was considering getting risers for aces, I feel like being 3mm taller would make pinch a little easier to sit on and pop out of but idk
I run riser pads with my ace. I’ve actually had the same pair for like 15 years and always used them so I’m not sure what the difference would be. That is a good idea though and makes a lot of sense.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #2780 on: December 24, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
I only ever get the dead pop sound on my Ace 44s after changing wheels.

My 55mm con. fulls have an immaculate pop sound , whereas my 53s have a dead clunk and I have no idea why.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2781 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
I only ever get the dead pop sound on my Ace 44s after changing wheels.

My 55mm con. fulls have an immaculate pop sound , whereas my 53s have a dead clunk and I have no idea why.

Set up my newest set of 44’s as a Christmas complete. With brand new Swiss it sounded extremely dead. Now that the bearings are breaking in and making some noise, the pop sound is getting clacky even though the deck/setup is about 2 weeks now.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Diocletian

« Reply #2782 on: December 24, 2020, 09:03:11 PM »
I've had quite a few sets of Ace's from stage 1 all the way to the current versions sound dead. I think with the poor QC some of the kingpins just dont get pressed in properly from the factory and it makes them sound off.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2783 on: December 24, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
Ace are great with Polar and no risers. Great pinch with them and with the Quasi I used them on. My worst pinch is Venture which some people think is the best so IDK

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #2784 on: December 27, 2020, 07:42:46 PM »
Rode Independent for 17 years before switching to Ace. Been on Aces for about 3 years now. I was feeling nostalgic and put an old set of Indys on, and it reminded me why I switched to Ace and never looked back. Besides quality control, Ace does everything so much better than Independent

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2785 on: December 27, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
I’ve had the waterlogged sound before also (not just with ace, but Indy as well). I spent way too much time trying to fix the sound. I swapped baseplates, wheels, cleaned bearings, all this with a fresh bbs deck...

Putting in harder (more dense) bushings remedied the problem. I like the Indy black aftermarket ones

pops

« Reply #2786 on: December 28, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
gonna be skating my aces soon, hyped but still stressing the shit out of their qc issues I've been reading >:( ;D or do they still have those? if so, switching back to indys soon.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2787 on: December 28, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
You are about to find out. I've had 3 sets of 44s and two sets of 55s with no issues whatsoever.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2788 on: December 28, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Depends on what is most important to you: qc (sometimes) or turn. I like ace better than indy, by a lot, but Indy is more durable in my experience. My most recent ace have been fine, but even when the axles used to bend they were still rideable. I’ve had indys that have bent and been unrideable, but that was in early 2000s. Blah blah blah ace are dope

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2789 on: December 28, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
You are about to find out. I've had 3 sets of 44s and two sets of 55s with no issues whatsoever.

Same, 2 sets of 44’s, 33’s and 55’s too and no problems