Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747507 times)

DiscordanceAxis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3510 on: April 14, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Let's see those AF1's lined up next to some classics. If the wheelbase is extended there is zero reason to buy these trucks since they'll turn like Indy (shit).
[close]

Click that first photo. That is the regular ACE’s next to some AF1’s

thanks im a person

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3511 on: April 14, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »
 I’ve had four sets of ace classics, on three of them the kingpin came loose. On the fourth I put a krux dlk in them and that was cool but the baseplate didn’t hold the nut which is annoying.

Why would I get these new ace trucks? There’s no hollow option like every other truck brand, theres no hexnut holder in the baseplate like an Indymid or a krux, even though they clearly made a new baseplate mood.
It looks like another press fit kingpin that’s just going to come loose again.
They made the wheelbase longer and the trucks in total are going to cost most because of an axle rethreader.

Am I the only one that thinks aces have the worst kingpin clearance in the game? The kingpins seems excessively long, I’ve had to dremel them shorter on mine and a few of my friends.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3512 on: April 14, 2021, 06:07:38 PM »
Generally, I'd say chill on the wheelbase fret. Those pics tell you jack shit about what the actual wheelbase will be on a board. Maybe the baseplates got some extra meat behind the bolts, maybe the bushings are sitting crooked in one set and not the other, or whatever else. Wait til some pal's get their mitts on them shits and do their thing with getting the actual dimensions for everybody ... I guess "capitalizing on hype" is preventing us from knowing the details before then ...whatever.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3513 on: April 14, 2021, 06:19:36 PM »
I’ve had four sets of ace classics, on three of them the kingpin came loose. On the fourth I put a krux dlk in them and that was cool but the baseplate didn’t hold the nut which is annoying.

Also had this problem with a set of Ace. I did the epoxy trick with the Krux DL kingpin, but unfortunately it doesn't have enough threads to get the trucks as tight as I'd like. I'm not done with Ace yet, but I found this to be pretty disappointing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #3514 on: April 14, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks aces have the worst kingpin clearance in the game? The kingpins seems excessively long, I’ve had to dremel them shorter on mine and a few of my friends.

Thunder, venture (low), krux, royal, mini logo, Indy (mids) all have less clearance from my experience. Ace falls into the acceptable category for me with Indy (reg) and tensor ATG. Venture highs have the best imo.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3515 on: April 14, 2021, 07:52:57 PM »

Why would I get these new ace trucks? There’s no hollow option like every other truck brand, theres no hexnut holder in the baseplate like an Indymid or a krux, even though they clearly made a new baseplate mood.
It looks like another press fit kingpin that’s just going to come loose again.
They made the wheelbase longer and the trucks in total are going to cost most because of an axle rethreader.

The ACE pin is longer, remember their top bushing is also the tallest in the game.

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3516 on: April 15, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
Generally, I'd say chill on the wheelbase fret. Those pics tell you jack shit about what the actual wheelbase will be on a board. Maybe the baseplates got some extra meat behind the bolts, maybe the bushings are sitting crooked in one set and not the other, or whatever else. Wait til some pal's get their mitts on them shits and do their thing with getting the actual dimensions for everybody ... I guess "capitalizing on hype" is preventing us from knowing the details before then ...whatever.

if the baseplate had "extra meat on it" then it would be sitting with a shorter wheelbase than the classics. the crooked bushings theory is also dumb. these trucks are all hype with an Indy wheelbase now.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3517 on: April 15, 2021, 08:50:42 AM »
Except they will turn better than Indy and grind better than the Ace classics.

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3518 on: April 15, 2021, 08:56:39 AM »
ok how

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3519 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »
look at the ace classic vs ace af1 baseplates, they line up, the baseplates are the same besides the bottom detail. you guys are grasping.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3520 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:02 AM »
I love these burner accounts that made accounts and came to this thread to shit on a truck none of us have skated yet. It's the best.
ok thanks

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3521 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:39 AM »
I'm just going to stay out of this hypothetical argument until we get to touch them tomorrow.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3522 on: April 15, 2021, 09:06:40 AM »
ok how

Harder metal. Same geo as when Indy were at their best. You can try them or not. It's all subjective. I think this will likely be the truck I have been wanting but that's just me. I'm old and like curbs and pool coping. Wheelbase... whatever... None of this means shit until one of us gets some grind time.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3523 on: April 15, 2021, 09:08:09 AM »
I love these burner accounts that made accounts and came to this thread to shit on a truck none of us have skated yet. It's the best.

Reeks of a planned assault by a threatened truck manu. So glad I have nothing to do with the skate industry.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3524 on: April 15, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »

No doubt. Is this the modern version of what Grosso mentioned in the letter's on "Truck Wars"? Instead of burly Indy-affiliated Samoan's threatening kids we get proxy posters calling us dumb?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3525 on: April 15, 2021, 09:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reeks of a planned assault by a threatened truck manu. So glad I have nothing to do with the skate industry.

Having been someone who worked in it...yes.

I am admittedly an Ace fanboy since I came back to skating, and I will buy and try some 66s tomorrow, but if they suck I would be the first person to call them out....after I've actually skated them. Sort of a basic criteria.
ok thanks

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3526 on: April 15, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »
lol you guys are tripping, yeah i work for indy i'm here to SABOTAGE ace on a messageboard. simply trying to nerd out on gear, isn't that why we're all here? if the geo is supposedly the same but the wheelbase is extended, then they're gonna turn slower, simple concept.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3527 on: April 15, 2021, 09:32:02 AM »
its a tad more complicated than that. Thunders turn quicker but the axle sits further out.

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3528 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
thunders are dog shit. they tip over into wheelbite and they have a long wheelbase.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3529 on: April 15, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »
Thunder turn is super quick and responsive. Not as deep as an Ace or Indy. Different deal.

DiscordanceAxis

« Reply #3530 on: April 15, 2021, 09:57:25 AM »
they are very responsive and do indeed turn quick into wheelbite, i'll give you that.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3531 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
again, depends on a few factors. wheel size and width, risers, bushings, deck width, truck width all can influence the propensity for wheel bite.

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3532 on: April 15, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everything is a conspiracy isn’t it? I came here and made an account because this kind of discussion doesn’t happen on Instagram and I wanted to talk about these new trucks.

I like ace a lot but I am still allowed to be critical of this aren’t I?
I think this whole thing was hyped wrong, personally I thought something big and new was coming but all they did was correct the sizing and upgrade the metal?

I’ve never broken an ace hanger, I’ve never thought they didn’t grind well, I don’t see why they chose to hype up a material upgrade like it’s going to be a revolutionary change to the industry.

I’m glad they fixed the non issue. Hopefully the press fit kingpins aren’t prone to coming loose with the upgraded metal in the baseplate.

I’m sure it will come eventually but ace needs to get with the program. I thought we would be getting dlk compatible baseplates or maybe hollow kingpins/hangers like other truck companies.

Also why do people say indys don’t turn? They have the best turn in the game along with ace. I have 149s mids with a dlk and ace bushing rn and it rides like a DREAM.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3533 on: April 15, 2021, 10:28:42 AM »
Indys dont turn unless you change out the stock bushings*

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #3534 on: April 15, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
It does like the wb is changed when the baseplates are lined up. Which is upsetting.

Who knows though....
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3535 on: April 15, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
Yeah i am being critical as well - i agree with you @Smoothbrain1  on most of those points

"most technical truck ever made" ...it is? I still don't know why other than material upgrade, new cast process? ..and they are directing everyone to the print ad in Thrasher? lol seriously. 

And the only answer to hollow or forged version question was "we have plans but these things take time"
And on the price difference - "Loaded ? With significant upgrades and advancements come a cost...but you get what you pay for."

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3536 on: April 15, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »

You guys are really welcoming to newcomers...

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3537 on: April 15, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You guys are really welcoming to newcomers...
People take trucks very seriously. This is the way.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3538 on: April 15, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
Anyone see/post this yet? Unlisted video on their channel:

Introducing the most technical truck ever made - the AF1.

Our all-new ACE AF1 features game-changing performance without compromising the beloved original Ace geometry. The AF1 is carefully manufactured in our own proprietary casting process, using a superior-quality AA 356.2 alloy and gets finished off with a true T6 heat treatment. Years in the making, the ACE AF1 has a 70% increase in the aluminum’s integral strength making it the strongest cast truck on the market. Coupled with new SAE 4041 steel axles the AF1 has superior strength throughout. These trucks grind like no other!

Additionally, this ground-breaking truck is also the first to include patent pending re-threading axle nuts, meaning you'll never have stripped axles again!

After you tour the long list of features, grab a set and feel the difference, you won't be disappointed.
ok thanks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3539 on: April 15, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »
Did they outsource a fancy video and IG clips to the stranger things theme song?

Have any other companies used the term “suspension” when describing bushings?

New pivots. New washers. Stronger alum. Good changes.