Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743497 times)

cheekclapper and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3660 on: April 16, 2021, 02:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Got AF1 55s today and made an Xmas complete to compare side by side with my V1 44s.

Turn seems better on the AF1s. Can’t remember what washers I have on the V1s. Might be at least partially Ace originals which would explain the worse turn on the V1s. From what I remember, the turn seems just as great as on new V3s.

Grind seems worse but my V1s are fully axled and I grinded only unpainted curbs so it’s likely only because of steel vs. aluminum.

Didn’t do any measuring cuz I don’t have anything to measure with where I am now.

Main point is that I would not be worried at all. These are definitely not Indys. The turn is there and I don’t find anything other wrong with them either, apart from not having a 8.75” truck. I loved the old Aces and I don’t think these are any worse. Time will tell if they’re better. Bushings were great from the start. No break in time required at all.
[close]
Thanks for the write up! Good to hear about the turn, I do bet the new washers and bushings are improved. I bet the pivot cups have a touch to do with that as well.

Joey has always said bushings and pivot cups ARE the turn, more than anything else.
ok thanks

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3661 on: April 16, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
Has anybody switched to ace after riding super light trucks like thunder hollows?
Does the change in wheelbase possibly compensate the weight or is there still a huge difference?
You guys really make me want to try these

I went from 149 Indy TIs to classic ace 44s. I don’t remember having and issue with adjusting.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3662 on: April 16, 2021, 02:53:52 PM »
At risk of redundancy, can confirm that these do stretch the WB 1/4" more than classics. Measured on a 14.25" WB board, center of axle to center of axle.

Risers and shock pads look nice. Excited to have 1/8" risers that fit aces perfectly. The shock pads are 1/16" hard rubber, so they do not add much height.

Looking forward to trying these, though I promised myself not to set them up until my current 55 classics are toast. We'll see.

@Roisto good to see you posting again.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #3663 on: April 16, 2021, 03:21:13 PM »
Ordered a pair of 33s.  Trying to slim down to a 8.06/8.01.  Might get a pair of 44s too and just keep whichever one works better on that width
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #3664 on: April 16, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
IMHO truck height and axle placement have way more to do with how light or heave a truck feels than a couple grams. People will say otherwise but we are talking about a couple coins in the pocket worth of weight.
[close]

That's definitely true, but my thunder titaniums are the same height and almost 100g lighter than the ace 44s I'm considering. Haven't really tried any standard weight trucks in a long time. Might be time to man up
[close]

True re:height, but classic Aces push the axle in a lot further than Thunders which will also lightens things up. I'm sure the weight loss on a light truck helps, but I stick by my belief that hight and axle placement matter more.

Definitely this. The geometry of the height and axel placement has a lot more to do with how the board will react, snap and feel more so than a negligable difference in weight. With added weight you don't really have to adjust, just pop harder. You'd have to adjust way more to the weight distribution, turn and tipping/contact points of different trucks.

Fhk

« Reply #3665 on: April 16, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
I can relate to the gear madness but some of yall are freaking out way too much. I can assure most of you that we will all be able to do our mediocre skateboarding equally mediocre whether its on AF1's or classic aces.
I ordered a new pair of classic 55s today out of fear that my incredibly mediocre skating might improve with the AF1's. I don't need that shit at this stage in the game.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #3666 on: April 16, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
IMHO truck height and axle placement have way more to do with how light or heave a truck feels than a couple grams. People will say otherwise but we are talking about a couple coins in the pocket worth of weight.
[close]

That's definitely true, but my thunder titaniums are the same height and almost 100g lighter than the ace 44s I'm considering. Haven't really tried any standard weight trucks in a long time. Might be time to man up
[close]

True re:height, but classic Aces push the axle in a lot further than Thunders which will also lightens things up. I'm sure the weight loss on a light truck helps, but I stick by my belief that hight and axle placement matter more.
[close]

Definitely this. The geometry of the height and axel placement has a lot more to do with how the board will react, snap and feel more so than a negligable difference in weight. With added weight you don't really have to adjust, just pop harder. You'd have to adjust way more to the weight distribution, turn and tipping/contact points of different trucks.

That's mostly true when you're talking about going between trucks where there's 5-10g of difference, like the film hollow vs raw. However, going from grooved thunder titaniums to new Aces is like a half pound of weight and you definitely notice. If I go from Tensor ATG aluminum to ATG mag lights and (theoretically at least) have the same (all terrain™) geo but only change the weight it's a massive difference, and is in fact the primary reason my mag lights are well grooved and my aluminum ATG - which incidentally are actually heavier than the alloys - have barely been skated.

Now can you adapt? Of course. And it's not the sort of thing you're going to notice on individual tricks once you adjust. It's much more of a cumulative thing. Especially as you get deeper into your 30s you'll find its a lot easier to stay out on the spot, still get your board off the ground after an hour, and be able to walk the next day with a lighter truck.

I think individually from trick to trick the "feel" of a truck is definitely more closely tied to the height and geometry, but it's short sighted to discount weight in the overall picture. It's kind of a micro/macro thing in my mind.

As I've said before I'm not really interested in the af1. They didn't change any of the things that would make a difference to me, and I actually think the 8.35/7/8 axle length on Ace 44 is one of the best things about them. I've become kind of a fan of the in-between axle length trucks like tensor and destructo and I'd have been more excited for an 8.125 axle Ace than an 8.25. That's just my preference though.

Oh and for whoever said Ace is the only company with 2 versions of a truck on the market - they're not. Tensor has 2 (3 if you count alloys as a separate line), 10s and ATG. Destructo has D1/D2. I feel like I'm forgetting at least one other one too. I really hope that Ace keeps the classic and low lines going as I think there's definitely unique niches for both and covering a broader spectrum of the market can definitely be a good thing.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #3667 on: April 16, 2021, 06:15:22 PM »
With many of the truck madness regulars either not posting or not jumping on these ASAP, clearly they're missing the mark.

Grant Patronik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3668 on: April 16, 2021, 06:38:09 PM »
What size Ace (new and old) fit an 8.5 best?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3669 on: April 16, 2021, 06:42:44 PM »
With many of the truck madness regulars either not posting or not jumping on these ASAP, clearly they're missing the mark.

I read through the last few pages and thought it would be best to wait until I actually see the trucks or get a set and ride them before making any wild posts of how my life is now complete or ruined because of slight changes in a truck, especially one I don't usually ride.

This might just be me, but I would think there would be quite a few others in the same position.

No point in making assumptions before you have even seen the product with your own eyes - I have seen all the shop info, specs and other marketing stuff when it first came out too, including the price, so I guess you could say I was in a more informed position than most people who don't work for a shop or have wholesale access to Ace products.

Overall I think they have made a better truck, regardless of what some people wanted with regard to size, width / height / weight, wheelbase, price, etc.

AF1 is 55 for right on 8.5 size.

Classic is 44 for 8.38 axles so it will sit under a bit.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Grant Patronik

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3670 on: April 16, 2021, 06:49:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I read through the last few pages and thought it would be best to wait until I actually see the trucks or get a set and ride them before making any wild posts of how my life is now complete or ruined because of slight changes in a truck, especially one I don't usually ride.

This might just be me, but I would think there would be quite a few others in the same position.

No point in making assumptions before you have even seen the product with your own eyes - I have seen all the shop info, specs and other marketing stuff when it first came out too, including the price, so I guess you could say I was in a more informed position than most people who don't work for a shop or have wholesale access to Ace products.

Overall I think they have made a better truck, regardless of what some people wanted with regard to size, width / height / weight, wheelbase, price, etc.

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the response. I had some 44 classics on an 8.5 board that got stolen last night. I was liking them. Considering whether I should buy more 44 classics or move over to the AFs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3671 on: April 16, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the response. I had some 44 classics on an 8.5 board that got stolen last night. I was liking them. Considering whether I should buy more 44 classics or move over to the AFs.

I like to have my wheels flush with the edge of the board, so the Classic 44s were never really quite what I wanted for width in truck, but they still work well for most people who wanted no wheel showing.

The new ones are more expensive, along with all the rest of the added features, but also sit right on 8.5, so depending on how much you have to spend and where you like the wheels to sit, I would say those two factors will be the deciding point for which truck you buy.

Personally I would be going for the AF1, but that is just me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3672 on: April 16, 2021, 07:11:21 PM »
This post from Ace has some close up pics of the rethreading nuts and other spec info that is interesting to see.

All the other pics after the first pic, that is.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3673 on: April 16, 2021, 07:15:27 PM »
I currently only have ventures on my setups, if I put aces on a bigger deck I’m going to set up am I going to die because I will have trucks that turn? Or can they be tightened a reasonable amount

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #3674 on: April 16, 2021, 08:01:19 PM »
I currently only have ventures on my setups, if I put aces on a bigger deck I’m going to set up am I going to die because I will have trucks that turn? Or canthey be tightened a reasonable amount

You will learn the essence of skateboarding.
You have nothing to fear.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3675 on: April 16, 2021, 09:34:55 PM »
Dumb question, I’m sure, but... if the axle nuts are already self rethreading, what is the extra axle rethreader for, exactly?
I mean, aside from a reason to bump the price?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3676 on: April 16, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Got AF1 55s today and made an Xmas complete to compare side by side with my V1 44s.

Turn seems better on the AF1s. Can’t remember what washers I have on the V1s. Might be at least partially Ace originals which would explain the worse turn on the V1s. From what I remember, the turn seems just as great as on new V3s.

Grind seems worse but my V1s are fully axled and I grinded only unpainted curbs so it’s likely only because of steel vs. aluminum.

Didn’t do any measuring cuz I don’t have anything to measure with where I am now.

Main point is that I would not be worried at all. These are definitely not Indys. The turn is there and I don’t find anything other wrong with them either, apart from not having a 8.75” truck. I loved the old Aces and I don’t think these are any worse. Time will tell if they’re better. Bushings were great from the start. No break in time required at all.
[close]
Thanks for the write up! Good to hear about the turn, I do bet the new washers and bushings are improved. I bet the pivot cups have a touch to do with that as well.

But just FYI that the standard version are named 44 classics, not V1. That A1 versus V1 terminology you are using is a bit confusing, and you mention V3?

The classics had three revisions that were not really announced in any way, I am referring to them with the V1 and V3. To me the V3s turned great out of the box and the V1s required changing the washers. V2s I can’t remember if they needed fiddling or not but they had those stupid small axle nuts. This is how I remember it but my memory isn’t the best so take it all with a grain of salt.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3677 on: April 16, 2021, 10:11:30 PM »
Dumb question, I’m sure, but... if the axle nuts are already self rethreading, what is the extra axle rethreader for, exactly?

Ha yes, someone finally asked on here!

I had been thinking that from the day I saw all the info, pics and that, so was going to post, but then thought no, I will wait and see if anyone else picks up on it or says it, or how long until someone mentions it.

The only other thing I am curious about is if the nuts are going to be a harder metal than the axle (which they have to be to rethread the axles) but how well they would work is another interesting point.  One which I would wait and see for myself, or until someone else says something about it, eg the nut strips out before the axle actually rethreads.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3678 on: April 16, 2021, 10:15:17 PM »

I’m guessing the nuts are for when you mushroom out the axle from landing primo or on the side. It’ll just cut away the mushroomed/flat part then meet up with the original threads. Like when it’s hard to get the nut to catch after you take it off (because of the flatted end of the axle), but it catches eventually, then screws on fine.  The rethreading nuts might make it easier in that scenario. Actual rethreader for if the axle gets cross threaded and you need to cut all new threads. One for cutting/shaving a little bit of metal of, one for cutting a bunch of metal off. Also, I’d assume you’d mess up the thread locks trying to rethread a whole axle with the nuts.

No idea though, just a guess. I was asking myself the same thing as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:27:15 PM by Rubbrick »

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3679 on: April 16, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »
Maybe the nut only re-cuts the threads when you’re backing it off, thus re-honing the mushroomed “bellend”  into an axle ready to go when you screw that nut back on?
Easy enough to do, mfg. wise, I suppose.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3680 on: April 16, 2021, 10:51:16 PM »
The diagram says bonus rethreader so maybe its just a bonus rethreader.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #3681 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:36 PM »

That's not a bad thing I can re thread all my other fucked trucks
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3682 on: April 17, 2021, 01:40:30 AM »
Uh oh, looks like we've got a battle of slogans:

vs

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3683 on: April 17, 2021, 02:54:37 AM »

Have a look through the pics from the instagram post I put up (just back up this page) and you will see close up pics of the specialised nuts, both axle and kingpin nuts have a rethreading look built in to them.

Edit:  Thought it would be easier to add them here so anyone else can easily see them too.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:05:25 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3684 on: April 17, 2021, 03:20:23 AM »
Not to derail the convo here, but my local just got Film trucks in and I'm in need of new trucks - not sure if I should stick to 44 classics (been on these for the last 8 months and love em), give the AF1s a try, or take a run at Films... I'm not massively opposed to trying new things, but just wondered if any serious Ace lovers here have rode Films and have a decent comparison.
I ride classic 44 aces on my polar and 6.0 films on my Chico big boy; not much difference in the pop but you will notice a difference in the turn, have heard replacing the pivot cups in the films (or greasing them) fixes it. They are certainly quality trucks but I always ride my films first in a session and then my aces, because if I do it the other way around there’s just not as much carve!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:34:40 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3685 on: April 17, 2021, 04:57:06 AM »
not sure if i count as a regular but ace seems to be targeting indys market share based on the information that we have. all the stats in this thread alone confirmed i dont need to spend $65+ on a raw indy. just not happening for me

most venture heads wont give a shit about the af1s. thunder fans seem to be the most wishy-washy out of the 4 big truck brands, im sure diehards (not sponsored) exist but they arent too vocal on slap about only riding thunders. ace might snag some of those people.

the marketing is also shamelessly flimsy. "the most technical truck ever made" should have arrived with hollow or titanium variants. at least the fucking kingpin or something.

trust me i tried to let the marketing work, really. "now its our turn" didnt cut it. you can change bushings in any truck to make them turn better, the pic with the pre-release date 77s and bones mediums said it all for me. if they actually brought something new to table they wouldnt need to advertise with something so obvious. calling yourself a "pilot" seems cool but id need more than that to justify changing trucks.

excuse me if this is a disjointed post with different points, very hungover from last night and disappointed with the news. literally took the classics, added new sizes and some other nonsense, extended the wheelbase, and called it new. lazy isnt even the right word. doesnt even seem like anyone here is really excited, just willing to try the "new" truck and see how it goes. not hating on ace just disappointed that they think im stupid.

the skate tool is the only thing im considering and even that is $20+ dollars. got me fucked up
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #3686 on: April 17, 2021, 06:25:16 AM »
I currently only have ventures on my setups, if I put aces on a bigger deck I’m going to set up am I going to die because I will have trucks that turn? Or can they be tightened a reasonable amount

I switch back n forth. Between those 2 brands. Ollie better on venture, and can still turn, like the turn of ace more, but the pop is less  consistent.

Like a moron I tried some thunders and had the best session I’ve had in months.

I’ll be getting af1s, just cuz

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3687 on: April 17, 2021, 06:40:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not sure if i count as a regular but ace seems to be targeting indys market share based on the information that we have. all the stats in this thread alone confirmed i dont need to spend $65+ on a raw indy. just not happening for me

most venture heads wont give a shit about the af1s. thunder fans seem to be the most wishy-washy out of the 4 big truck brands, im sure diehards (not sponsored) exist but they arent too vocal on slap about only riding thunders. ace might snag some of those people.

the marketing is also shamelessly flimsy. "the most technical truck ever made" should have arrived with hollow or titanium variants. at least the fucking kingpin or something.

trust me i tried to let the marketing work, really. "now its our turn" didnt cut it. you can change bushings in any truck to make them turn better, the pic with the pre-release date 77s and bones mediums said it all for me. if they actually brought something new to table they wouldnt need to advertise with something so obvious. calling yourself a "pilot" seems cool but id need more than that to justify changing trucks.

excuse me if this is a disjointed post with different points, very hungover from last night and disappointed with the news. literally took the classics, added new sizes and some other nonsense, extended the wheelbase, and called it new. lazy isnt even the right word. doesnt even seem like anyone here is really excited, just willing to try the "new" truck and see how it goes. not hating on ace just disappointed that they think im stupid.

the skate tool is the only thing im considering and even that is $20+ dollars. got me fucked up

The "pilot" thing was cool when it meant riding completely different trucks. It's not as cool when you're piloting what are essentially Stage 10's. And you are right about the bushings and pivot cups - can change those out on any truck. We'll be seeing a lot of conical bushings used on the AF1s.

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3688 on: April 17, 2021, 07:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't even justify this since I already bought the Paris tool years ago, which is practically the same thing. All they did was add a file and rethreaders? Why does the tool need rethreaders anyhow when everything else they're selling also seems to rethread?

They're really nice tools, though. They're more durable than the Silver tool so for the price you'll have the thing forever, but if you already own the old original Paris/Ace tool then you don't really need the added stuff. You already have the tool.

I still want a set of 33's, though. But I want something unique, which is the problem. If I wanted a "different" indy I'd just buy the new Krux, their new model just improved the geometry on those as well to make them more turny and "indy-like." Or I could just use my Destructo railkillers. Or the stage 11's I haven't touched in years.

Ace was unique because it brought the wheelbase in, basically the opposite of a Venture. I don't think the slightly extended wb will actually make much a difference, but still, even at this price I expect at least full hollows... The fact that these aren't lighter for the price seems weird to me.

Much like Venture, Ace always fell into that category of truck with questionable QC/issues. So maybe the AF1 will relieve them of that stigma even if it's at the cost of brand identity. You used to be able to get a set of classics for $45. I won't lie and say that wasn't part of the appeal.

I think I'm still going to buy 33's, but it's with hesitance. And even then it's mostly because I've been waiting years for this release. But then again, are they going to add these features within the next year? I wouldn't be surprised, and then I'll feel burned. If we're looking at AF1's with hollow pins/axles in 2022 for the same price I'm going to be annoyed. If I could go back in time I'd have bought the purple coping eaters just to add to my collection.

But whatever, the gold finish is kind of cool, so I guess there's that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:57:55 AM by ILikeToMilkDucks »

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #3689 on: April 17, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just look up “compact skate tool”, I got one from with some radeckal branding for $13 shipped. TOA offered one for a little while too. the whole thing is metal so a file is redundant, only thing your missing is the rethreader.