Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747407 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3810 on: April 22, 2021, 07:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote
\
Tactics has them up as well, bit cheaper too

https://www.tactics.com/ace/af-1-skateboard-trucks/polished-silver-44
[close]

I just saw that when I got home from paying $65 at the "local".   Tactics even closer to my house.  Doh..

I called my local the other day knowing it was futile, they've never carried ACE (bending issues) and won't per the conversation I had with them.

Rip City in Santa Monica.

They push indy on you no matter what...got thunders? Sure, but you sure you don't want Indy? They're the best!

Pee nis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #3811 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
200+ here and doing just fine.  I leave the nut factory tight.  I think you'll be good.

Good to hear just saw it seems they upped the bushing duro on these anyways which I didn’t realize until now

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3812 on: April 22, 2021, 08:43:43 PM »

I called my local the other day knowing it was futile, they've never carried ACE (bending issues) and won't per the conversation I had with them.

They push indy on you no matter what...got thunders? Sure, but you sure you don't want Indy? They're the best!

I always find that frustrating (even though I prefer Indy myself) but I would never push certain brands on people, no matter what reason, but over the years I have often seen other shop dudes get pretty harsh on customers, even downright rude if they ask for something that is either not in stock or not the preferred brand from the perspective of that guy.  Responses like " What the hell do you want that for?" when asked for something...

That said, I will usually not get much or anything of some brands, but I am not running a big normal type of shop, so I can choose what I would recommend or ride myself and other brands that are good, eg trucks, yes of course I have Indy, but I also have Thunder, Venture, and Ace, plus one or two of a few other brands in stock too.

I wonder if they have a better account with NHS or get incentives for the more product they sell, or are just dicks?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3813 on: April 23, 2021, 06:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always find that frustrating (even though I prefer Indy myself) but I would never push certain brands on people, no matter what reason, but over the years I have often seen other shop dudes get pretty harsh on customers, even downright rude if they ask for something that is either not in stock or not the preferred brand from the perspective of that guy.  Responses like " What the hell do you want that for?" when asked for something...

That said, I will usually not get much or anything of some brands, but I am not running a big normal type of shop, so I can choose what I would recommend or ride myself and other brands that are good, eg trucks, yes of course I have Indy, but I also have Thunder, Venture, and Ace, plus one or two of a few other brands in stock too.

I wonder if they have a better account with NHS or get incentives for the more product they sell, or are just dicks?

I remember the shop here back in the day used to trick everyone into buying their house brand decks and would shit talk all the actual recognizable brands. At least if you were younger/new. It was obnoxious.

The NHS thing is possible, though it makes you wonder what would happen if you ask for Krux? I suspect the guy would still push you on Indy.

I can't deal with stores like that anymore. I like trying new/different gear, Indy is the last thing I'm interested in at this point. Trying new stuff is half the point. If I was just riding Indy then I'd be forced to actually focus on my skating. How lame would that be?

Seriously though, my AF1's are coming in today. They're actually replacing a set of indies which are going on ice. It's been a long time since I've felt like Indy was definitively "the best".

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3814 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:22 AM »
Damn I may have to swoop up some from tactics.  I skate 8.3 to 8.5. I wish they had classic 44 sizing. So I guess I get af1 55? Anyone try af1 44s on an 8.5 yet?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3815 on: April 23, 2021, 08:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I guess I just need to pick up a pair of the AF1s and get it out of my system so I don't sit here agonizing anymore.  I skate 8.25" or 8.38" boards pretty much exclusively, which is why I loved the 44 classics.  Do I stick with 44s or go with 55s in the AF1s?
[close]

I usually skate 8.25 / 8.3 but have been recenlty on 8.6+ and Indy 159s, I'm liking the grind room but the heft is killing me so I'm dropping back down to 8.3 / 8.5 decks and moved to the 55 AF1; I would have picked up the AF1 that should have come in the classic 44 sizing... =(

That said, the minute NHS drops the 159ti Mid, I'm jumping ship.

Damn, I already bought the 44s.  If they don't feel right, ah, shit, looks like I'll have to buy some more gear and it will be a tragic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3816 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think they're just old/set in their ways ;) They're old dudes, in their 60s, so Indy is what they've known for decades back in the day.

The NHS thing is possible, though it makes you wonder what would happen if you ask for Krux? I suspect the guy would still push you on Indy.

They'd never carry Krux ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:57:55 AM by Xen »

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3817 on: April 23, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
I decided I'd blow some bonus pay money on a set of 66's and a wider board, giving these AF1's one last shot after being disappointed with the new 55's. Same fuckin deal, board sounds dead, sticky as fuck grind, and now even moreso i'm learning the extended wheelbase has totally fucked up the way the pop feels. Stock top washer also clicks super loud on this set every time I turn, too. Fuck these trucks.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3818 on: April 23, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
lol i suspect there's a bunch of Indy plants in this thread/board.  yall can try being a little more subtle  ;D
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3819 on: April 23, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »
 ;D created an account dissing Joey Tershay and post two times dissing Ace... hmmm...

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3820 on: April 23, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
i mean, they lost their logo and half their riders in a matter of months, i'm sure it stings a little. 

toey jershay

« Reply #3821 on: April 23, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »
did you even read my first post? i love ace trucks, i've been riding ace's pretty much since they came out on the market. once i set foot on them i never looked back to indy, nor do i care for any brand under NHS because i don't vibe with any of them. i'm just joining the discussion on an online forum of gear nerds because the hype has been insane about these trucks. peace. oh, and my name isn't a diss to joey i just thought of something dumb on the fly. whatever, it's a username lol.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3822 on: April 23, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
cool third post, bro. 

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #3823 on: April 23, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »
Edited some of your posts together for clarity, Robert plant.
How can I be an Indy plant if Indy doesn’t pay anyone?

Man, if only their was a mid on the market no one asked for...

All of our heavies and legacies left to support them, we lost our logo, and were NHS. But remember when plan b came back? Well be okay.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3824 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »
I rode the 44 AF1's for the first time today and I absolutely love them there was no break in time something I never experienced with any other truck before and I almost rode them all. I was highly sceptical if I should buy them or not because of what was written in this thread but I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger yesterday. The metal feels indeed way harder but I like the grind on them a lot more than I do on the classics (I grinded them on almost everything today concrete, coping and ledges). They definetely make the wheelbase longer than the classics which I think isn't bad at all atleast not for me since the pop feeling of the truck is way better in my opinion. Last but not least the bushings they were god from the start I only had to loosen them quite a bit from stock tightness to get them to my liking ( I weigh about 135 pounds so normal sized people maybe like them as they come). If they stay that way throughout their lifespan I won't go back to riding any other truck.

* I exclusively rode Independent 144 forged hollow the last year because I was kind of unhappy with the quality of Ace classics since my skinny ass did bent two sets of Ace 44 classics doing slappies which never happened to me with any other truck before.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3825 on: April 23, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »
any wheelbase measurement comparisons yet?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3826 on: April 23, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
Like this one?

Just mounted a new set of 44 classics and a new set of 55 AF1s to the same board:

Ace Classics:
17.09375 (3/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.21875 (7/32) (axle to axle)
\ 2 (to average results)
= 17.15625 (5/32)
-14.375 (wheelbase of board)
=2.78125 (25/32) or 2.75” wheelbase extension.

Ace AF1:
17.40625 (13/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.25 (8/32) (axle to axle)
/2 (to average results)
= 17.328125 (10.5/32)
-14.375” (wheelbase of board)
= 2.953125 (30.5/32) or 2.875” / 3” wheelbase extension depending on how you look at it.

Basically the new ones have a tiny bit of a wider wheelbase (1/8” - 1/4”).

Oh Also:

397g for one Ace 44 Classic with washers & 397g for one Ace 55 AF1 with washers but not the re-threader so the new guys are a teeny bit lighter.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #3827 on: April 23, 2021, 11:38:58 AM »
any wheelbase measurement comparisons yet?

I picked up some AF1 55s and a new board over the weekend and took a comparison photo since no one's posted one yet. Board on the left is AF1 55s on an 8.25 and on the right is classic 44s on an 8.5, both have a 14.25" wheelbase. I measured the classic 44s to be 17.25" axel to axel and the AF1 55s to be 17 9/16". So the longer wheelbase is definitely confirmed.

I pushed around the block a few times so I don't have a full review but these are some of my initial thoughts. They felt looser than I expected while standing on the board stationary at stock tightness. I stood on my friends board last week who had fresh 44 classics and they felt super tight. I skate without the top washer with the bolt flush with the kingpin and I have the same little bit of wobble as I had with my classics. Standing stationary it felt like I would hit wheelbite easier than on the classics, but I didn't notice any significant difference in wheelbite while cruising.

They felt really good pushing around. The turn is definitely there. They feel like Aces for sure. One thing I noticed is that they feel like they have a flat center while going straight. With the classics, it always felt like you were carving on an edge. Like you were always leaning frontside or backside, never just straight. I think this will definitely feel better to set up for ledge or flip tricks while skating street.

The longer wheelbase was noticeable, but it didn't seem to affect the turn too much. They feel very stable and less squirly. The pop did feel a little different but I can't say yet if it's better or worse. I only ollied over a few manhole covers and up a couple curbs. I did a few kickflips too and they felt good, except for the fresh grip.

I'm excited to actually skate these. I don't think anyone should be worried not liking them. I've been skating Aces since 2013ish and don't plan on skating anything else anytime soon.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #3828 on: April 23, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
Third day on my af1 55s and im getting this ear piercing "clack" sound coing from my front truck and occasionally my back when I turn or move the hanger with my hand. Ive kept them completly stock since i bought them so idk where this is coming from or why its happening but im getting really annoyed, anybody having the same issue/ know how to fix it?

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3829 on: April 23, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »
Third day on my af1 55s and im getting this ear piercing "clack" sound coing from my front truck and occasionally my back when I turn or move the hanger with my hand. Ive kept them completly stock since i bought them so idk where this is coming from or why its happening but im getting really annoyed, anybody having the same issue/ know how to fix it?

Sounds like a blown pivot cup.

whenyousleep

« Reply #3830 on: April 23, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »
Hello, just giving some additional pieces of information that might be helpful for people who are thinking about purchasing. I haven't ridden them at all so I cannot truly say how they are for now but there are two things that stand out to me after tinkering around

One: the old Riptide ace pivot cups seem to be a great fit still for the new trucks. The new ace pivot cup comes already greased and feels VERY soft in terms of squishing it with my fingers (might have to do with that "melting" issue that another user posted about). Side by side, the ace pivots and the riptides are listed both as 96A but the ace pivots are clearly much softer. They also seem to have a bigger outer band/thickness when looking straight down them.

Two: The top bushing has a much sharper cone shape than the classics. The top circumference for the new bushings is much smaller. I found this out when changing the top washer for a flat one, which I do in every truck (same with the riptides actually). I'll post a picture of the differences in the top bushing. Bottom bushings are pretty much the same

Etc. I know this isn't too helpful given that I haven't ridden the trucks yet and isn't meant to say anything about the quality of the trucks, but I thought i'd let you guys know because it was interesting for me to find out

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3831 on: April 23, 2021, 01:53:49 PM »
Untitled by , on Flickr
Shoes/gear section has made me have hawkeyes for trucks. BDK on aces.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3832 on: April 23, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »
Untitled by , on Flickr
Shoes/gear section has made me have hawkeyes for trucks. BDK on aces.

Nice. If anyone's ever seen him skate in person you could hear his Thunders rattling from a block away. Full on Matt Rod loose, so Ace makes a ton of sense.

toey jershay

« Reply #3833 on: April 23, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »
Expand Quote

All of our heavies and legacies left to support them, we lost our logo, and were NHS. But remember when plan b came back? Well be okay.
[close]

cool third post, bro. 

pfffff how fuckin kook can you get. holy fuck ;D dudes like you are why people roast slap. ok tough guys, stay anonymous :-* "don't like Ace's, we 'ohn like yer kind 'round here!"

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3834 on: April 23, 2021, 02:49:41 PM »
Thank you, Toseph Jershay, for using your given name to tell us anonymous losers on slap what's what.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3835 on: April 23, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
cool third post, bro. 
[close]

pfffff how fuckin kook can you get. holy fuck ;D dudes like you are why people roast slap. ok tough guys, stay anonymous :-* "don't like Ace's, we 'ohn like yer kind 'round here!"
Cool fourth post, bro.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ILikeToMilkDucks

« Reply #3836 on: April 23, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »
Got to ride the 33's today. Initial impressions:

The turn is ridiculous, and it definitely has that pivot/seesaw feeling where you're almost playing a balancing act. These feel nothing like modern Indy, they definitely retain their... Ace-y-ness. The wheelbase is negligible, if you like the classics, you'll like these.

Build quality feels phenomenal.

Come to think of it, they really remind me of the Stage 9's I used to have in how they turn.

I'm still tempted to switch the bushings out with Krux. At least the bottom barrel. 86a just isn't cutting it for me - I tightened the trucks a half turn from factory tightness, which feels like it's perfect, but my fat ass still bottoms them out way too quick and the wheels press flat against the board without much effort at all. I'd definitely prefer the 92a barrels. I'm going to stick with stock for a month or two to see how I feel then. If I don't like how they break in I'll swap to Krux. Business as usual with Ace.

Anyhow, I just rode it around my block to get a feel for them, didn't do anything serious. A few slappies and I'm not 100% sure what to compare them to. They definitely feel harder than classics, or even indy/krux. Maybe sort of destructo feeling, or maybe Venture for a more common reference. It'll take some time to get used to, I think I got used to the softer metal, but it's by no means bad. Plus for the price I'm willing to trade the feel for longevity.

Speaking of price, I still feel like they're slightly too much, assuming you didn't get that Warehouseskateboards steal. At 65 I still would have wanted a hollow kingpin, I would pay 70 for full hollows, but 65 for standard still feels weird. My assumption here is that we're paying for build tolerances - Regardless of the brand, I can pick up their trucks and usually see something about them that isn't perfect. Who needs them to be perfect anyhow, going to ruin them regardless. With the AF1's I can't find anything wonky. They arrived flawless. It's weird - Not what I've become used to with skateboarding at all.

Anyhow, I'm using them on an 8" deck with 53mm Spitfire Classics. I ride anything between 8 and 8.25, don't really stray outside of that range these days.

So yeah - I'm not blown away, nor am I disappointed. For some reason I was expecting them to have a more mellow turn than classics, but that's definitely not the case. The only thing that I can see holding people back is the price point.

dancing

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3837 on: April 23, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like a blown pivot cup.

nah it's the top washer, mine started doing that on the second day, skated today (third day) and it seems to have mostly stopped. Annoying, but I think it kind of goes away as the bushings wear in. On the topic of pivot cups though, they really allow for a lot of lateral movement, which is kind of trippy, but it doesn't feel terribly unpredictable like a blown cup, feels kind of nice actually. I only weight 135, and I almost feel like after a few slappys the cups feel super loose, but idk either way, I'll just throw my pair of riptides in there if it gets unmanageable. Also if you're impatient, I bet waxing the contact point between the top washer and the kingpin nut would fix it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3838 on: April 23, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
cool third post, bro. 
[close]

Posting is serious business, brother. We don't need any more NHS shills around here!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3839 on: April 23, 2021, 04:23:57 PM »

One of my OG 44s do this periodically. I will disassemble them, clean everything up, and put a fine layer of wax or grease down at all the contact points, and then it goes away for another month.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021