Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739074 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3960 on: April 30, 2021, 01:01:50 PM »

Is it just the angle? The classic looks way lower at the yoke (old bushing maybe?) and just lower overall.

Slugboi22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3961 on: April 30, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
anyone know how long it takes for ace customer service to get back to you? i submitted photos and everything a day and a half ago and i’m getting sort of impatient. I’m a broke ass college kid so i’m kinda bummed about my new trucks already being fucked

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3962 on: April 30, 2021, 06:23:41 PM »
anyone know how long it takes for ace customer service to get back to you? i submitted photos and everything a day and a half ago and i’m getting sort of impatient. I’m a broke ass college kid so i’m kinda bummed about my new trucks already being fucked

I've contacted them with general questions, never for customer support, but I've gotten replies both quickly and a couple days later. Small company + new product roll-out, they might be kind of swamped. Give it the weekend and then resend for sure.

furieruzu

« Reply #3963 on: April 30, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
Well, the day after reporting all good things on the new Ace model I had a blowout. Got up this morning to take a quick cruise down the street to the bakery to get some danish and baguette and on my first carve around a corner I both heard and felt a small pop. I absolutely thought it was a bushing turning into a muffin since it could smell the bakery but alas, when I stopped and looked down there was no muffin in sight nor any sign of any other issues. I continued on my journey without noticing anything else.

Then, when I returned to my home I took the trucks apart and discovered my front pivot had just split perfectly down the middle. Also, wow! These are the softest pivot cups I have ever seen! They're mush! I was right about the grease part too, there's a lot of it inside the pivot. It appears Ace did everything they could to make them quieter but in doing so made the least durable pivots I've ever seen. You can easily squish them all the way flat with your fingers. So yes, this is disappointing and apparently happening in some manner to many users of these new "well researched and tested" trucks. I'm just glad it wasn't the bushings. I already had three sets of Riptide's for Ace Classics on hand in case. Good news is the Riptide's fit right in the baseplate no problem. Bad new is there's a lot of play concerning the stem of the hanger, you know, the part that inserts itself into the rubbery goodness of the pivot? It's not noticeable when riding around but I know it will bother me. I'm going to email Tracey at Riptide and tell her about it so perhaps they'll adjust the mold to make them a bit beefier for the new Ace trucks. I'm going to email and hit up Ace on Instagram as well to add my voice to #pivotgate.

In the end, it's not a deal breaker by any means. I already replace the pivots on any other truck right away because I already know they suck. It's just how Ace hyped these up that sucks big balls. I'm always an early adopter and I never learn the lesson not to be. Oh well, at least I have fresh baked goods...

furieruzu

« Reply #3964 on: April 30, 2021, 11:29:26 PM »
Also, while I had my other two sets that I haven't skated out I decided to weigh them since I saw someone asking. Quite a bit heavier than what I was currently riding but as I stated previously, for me it isn't really noticeable when riding the board.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3965 on: May 01, 2021, 01:33:29 AM »
Every time someone experiments with urethane pivot cups or waxes the shit out of their pivot cup I'm reminded of this post:

The stock Ace ones are plastic as well.  Plastic isn't actually bad to use for pivot cups.  It just depends on the molds and quality of plastic used.  Plastic will be less likely to deform than urethane (see the comments from Xen and I regarding Krux stock pivot cups which are urethane).

Basically a hard plastic pivot cup can crack and blow out.  Urethane pivot cups will wear gradually and create slop.  I personally think it's more important to use something that doesn't change the geometry of the pivot which is why I use the stock indy and thunder cups. 

Ace were already shaky with their pivot cups, I wonder if they thought the urethane would be less likely to blow out?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3966 on: May 01, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
@Murge it looks like if you just download them from imagebb they're JPGs, but if I am missing something let me know and I got you.

Sucks about the pivot cups. I really like how they feel.

Got it sent! Thank you for helping me out! 

Expand Quote

[close]

Is it just the angle? The classic looks way lower at the yoke (old bushing maybe?) and just lower overall.

They looked lower to me too. That and the photo before it I was trying to show what to me seemed like a height difference. Or the king pin looks longer to me also. If I remember I can check the height with calipers at work but with the classics being ground down some idk how accurate it would be.  But it definitely looks different to me.

Edit/ haven’t heard back from ace but as it was said earlier new drop small company. I’m not sweating it. But it needs to be addressed so they can try and fix it so others don’t have to deal with it. Especially for the price of af1s basically being a standard truck priced as a higher end one it should be completely sound and work as intended no issues.  I ordered some ace pivots from their site hopefully that works. If not my local has Indy pivots and I can pull them from my classic 44s. Any one know if I should just keep skating with a busted pivot cup or try the Indy or classic 44 pivot

@furieruzu did you notice any burrs or anything sharp or unfinished feeling in your pivot cup cavity?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:44:29 AM by Murge »

furieruzu

« Reply #3967 on: May 01, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
Quote from: Murge
did you notice any burrs or anything sharp or unfinished feeling in your pivot cup cavity?

Didn’t even think to look. Thanks! I’ll check it out. With the way it split so perfectly I just figured it was defective.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3968 on: May 01, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »
Quote from: Murge
Expand Quote
did you notice any burrs or anything sharp or unfinished feeling in your pivot cup cavity?
[close]

Didn’t even think to look. Thanks! I’ll check it out. With the way it split so perfectly I just figured it was defective.
oh it def could just be defective. I just saw someone say there was a sharp thing in theres and was curious how common that is. I’m gonna check mine when my kiddo naps

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3969 on: May 01, 2021, 05:17:13 PM »
Had my second session on the AF1’s today. And had absolutely zero issues with the grind today. It was the strangest thing. I don’t know if it was going from classics to AF1 over night last session. But had a few days off board between session one and two with the AF1 spent the first few minutes avoiding grinds and then finally braced my self for one. Popped, got in and grinded right through with no issues. I’m sold on the AF1 after this mornings session.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

LeakThis

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3970 on: May 02, 2021, 01:21:35 AM »
Same shit different name but squeakier imo

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #3971 on: May 02, 2021, 06:31:56 AM »
Not sure if it was mentioned as I was just skimming through the topic

but I saw a few folks mention price, so just throwing out there that tactics has them for around 50 as opposed to 65

cant wait for mine to come in, thinking the slightly longer wheelbase may be good for me. I love how aces turn but my flip tricks have been hit or miss for a while

could be my head too tho

cheers

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #3972 on: May 02, 2021, 08:20:09 AM »

but I saw a few folks mention price, so just throwing out there that tactics has them for around 50 as opposed to 65

cant wait for mine to come in, thinking the slightly longer wheelbase may be good for me. I love how aces turn but my flip tricks have been hit or miss for a while

could be my head too tho

cheers

Yeah tactics def has for the lowest. Want to try em bad, only qualm is that they’re 51mm high? Coming from Indy’s (55mm) that’s a steep jump, especially considering I’ve been downsizing my wheels.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3973 on: May 02, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
I bought some 8.5s and I can’t fucking skate these. Way too loose. Got like 5 threads showing.

mbam003

« Reply #3974 on: May 02, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
I bought some 8.5s and I can’t fucking skate these. Way too loose. Got like 5 threads showing.

How are they at very high speeds? Indys feel solid and intuitive at high speeds whereas Ace classics feel scary and wobbly (of course Indys have shortcomings as well). Are these even wobblier? I figured the extended wheelbase would make them feel a lot more solid than the classics.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #3975 on: May 02, 2021, 01:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote

could be my head too tho

cheers
[close]

Yeah tactics def has for the lowest. Want to try em bad, only qualm is that they’re 51mm high? Coming from Indy’s (55mm) that’s a steep jump, especially considering I’ve been downsizing my wheels.

I’m pretty sure they’re a little higher than 51. I think closer to a true 53 based on a video I saw on YouTube

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3976 on: May 02, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
haha dude who names himself "toey jershay" and made an account specifically to post about trucks says that I am "mad" about trucks...

i don't really give that much of a fuck about trucks.  just turn ok and don't break.  don't give a shit about squeaking, micrometers of difference in wheelbase, wheelbite, wheels sticking out/in.  AF1s are the first trucks I've been excited about in a long time.  they just feel good.

Toey Jershay is a Slap pal that can regularly be seen gaslighting people on their "reading comprehension"

Not sure why he is so mad about Ace Trucks that he has to create a separate account.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3977 on: May 02, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How are they at very high speeds? Indys feel solid and intuitive at high speeds whereas Ace classics feel scary and wobbly (of course Indys have shortcomings as well). Are these even wobblier? I figured the extended wheelbase would make them feel a lot more solid than the classics.
Fuck if I know, I’m not out here bombing hills. They extend the wheelbase? Can’t tell. There’s no resistance, it’s just straight to wheelbite.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3978 on: May 02, 2021, 01:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

WB length is only a part of the whole. Thunders have that insane tendency to bite despite having an even longer WB than any Ace/Indy. This pic of the newer AF1 bushings is pretty telling, the more aggressive cone shape (probably to stop the muffin-ing) is gonna be way more squirrely than the classic. Add to that the new pivot cups being softer than soft...and greased.

Hello, just giving some additional pieces of information that might be helpful for people who are thinking about purchasing. I haven't ridden them at all so I cannot truly say how they are for now but there are two things that stand out to me after tinkering around

One: the old Riptide ace pivot cups seem to be a great fit still for the new trucks. The new ace pivot cup comes already greased and feels VERY soft in terms of squishing it with my fingers (might have to do with that "melting" issue that another user posted about). Side by side, the ace pivots and the riptides are listed both as 96A but the ace pivots are clearly much softer. They also seem to have a bigger outer band/thickness when looking straight down them.

Two: The top bushing has a much sharper cone shape than the classics. The top circumference for the new bushings is much smaller. I found this out when changing the top washer for a flat one, which I do in every truck (same with the riptides actually). I'll post a picture of the differences in the top bushing. Bottom bushings are pretty much the same

Etc. I know this isn't too helpful given that I haven't ridden the trucks yet and isn't meant to say anything about the quality of the trucks, but I thought i'd let you guys know because it was interesting for me to find out

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3979 on: May 02, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »
Sml are great, I still prefer loophole but they defs get the job done!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #3980 on: May 02, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »
Got my Af1's set up and love em. I actually loosened them up after feeling very uncomfortable with how tight they were from the get go, but I'm used rattling loose Thunders with shaved down bones hards.

I am in love with the grind, and I'm really excited about how the turn will feel when the bushings are really broken in.

I ride 56mm wheels with 1/8 risers and wheelbite ain't so bad.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:32:52 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3981 on: May 02, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
Only skated mine three times and they feel fully broken in. Very happy with them so far.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3982 on: May 02, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
I'm dying to try this truck.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3983 on: May 02, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you didn't like the Aces before, you aren't going to like the AF1s. They're extremely carvy right out of the box, even if you crank that kingpin nut down. The very slight WB extension doesnt affect much.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3984 on: May 02, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

could be my head too tho

cheers
[close]

[close]

I’m pretty sure they’re a little higher than 51. I think closer to a true 53 based on a video I saw on YouTube

I had the 66 side by side some Indy 169s and there was almost nothing in it for height, just slightly lower in Ace, but definitely not "low" type of trucks.

Set them up with 1/8 risers and 60mm wheels on an old school board for a friend and they worked fine, just a touch of tightening but definitely no wheelbite as per trucks with a lower axle measurement.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3985 on: May 02, 2021, 09:05:43 PM »
After a couple weeks on my AF 55s set up on 3 different decks I still really dig them in transition.  Super carvy, I feel very in control, and they grind well.

Street - not so much.  I just can't get a decent ollie with them. I have lost about 8 inches off my max ollie height and my flips are weak.  Depending on the setup I usually skate Indy Ti, or I have Thunder Ti sometimes. Occasionally Mini Logo. Maybe I'm just more used to those than the Ace.

I keep trying different decks to see if I can come up with a setup that works, but to no avail.  The best ollie so far was on a Santa Cruz 8.38 with a steep tail and 14.5 wheelbase - but with that length wheelbase and heavy trucks I am not feeling great about the rotation.

Not a quiver buster truck.  I'll be skating them in transition and probably will keep skating Indy, Thunder or Mini Logo elsewhere.

music critic

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3986 on: May 02, 2021, 09:51:42 PM »
Spent a week on the af1's and overall I'm happy with them, that being said I'll probably switch back to ventures or thunders because that's what I'm looking for.  I was hoping that the extended wheelbase would have them suit my ledge skating needs better but the wheelbite and looseness of them is too much for me.  I skate what I consider "medium" looseness of trucks and the ace's stock turn is too crazy for me, I have them a full crank (circle) and a half tighter and feel like I still want them tighter.  The sound didn't go away but I got used to it, I'm sure it would after a month or so.  Grind is still good.

Again, no real complaints I think they are good trucks, but what i expected to bother me going in did indeed bother me.

mbam003

« Reply #3987 on: May 03, 2021, 03:20:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you didn't like the Aces before, you aren't going to like the AF1s. They're extremely carvy right out of the box, even if you crank that kingpin nut down. The very slight WB extension doesnt affect much.

I very much like the Ace 44 Classics. Those are my go-to truck right now. I really hope this truck won't go to the chopping block or get radically redesigned. The only improvements I would like to immediately see is to durability (stronger metals, hanger strength improvements through design).

WB length is only a part of the whole. Thunders have that insane tendency to bite despite having an even longer WB than any Ace/Indy. This pic of the newer AF1 bushings is pretty telling, the more aggressive cone shape (probably to stop the muffin-ing) is gonna be way more squirrely than the classic. Add to that the new pivot cups being softer than soft...and greased.

Excellent point about Thunders there. Those are indeed some straight to wheelbite trucks with an extended wheelbite that really beg to be set up tight or with risers. I think I'll skip the AF1 hype altogether and stick with the Classics.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3988 on: May 03, 2021, 06:06:49 AM »
I took the pivot cup out to check the damage. It was just the top area. But I noticed where the damage on the pivot cup is the exact place the pivot cup cavity(?) hole has a weird ding or is out of round in that spot. I then put the pivot cup back so the damage is not in the same out of round area of the cavity to see if I get damage in that spot again. To see if the out of round is causing it. Sorry the pictures are out of order below.

So I had my second session on my AF1s. After taking the pivot cup out to check how busted it was (not as bad as I thought). The first like 20 minutes of skating I had a clicking noise and it drove me nuts. Then after that first 20min I think the bushings firmed up enough and I loosened them had a lot of fun with them and by the end I didn’t notice them clicking and was intentionally trying to get them to and at that point the clicking stopped. Idk if it stopped for good but at some point on that session it stopped.  My verdict is still out but the last little bit of that session I would put them over the classics. But I’m still skeptical.

Also I have a video of me making them click by hand after setting them back up. If that’s something you guys may find useful.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:11:16 AM by Murge »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3989 on: May 03, 2021, 07:27:58 AM »
The irregular shape of that pivot cavity is definitely causing the cup damage you are having and I doubt it would ever go away; I would reach out to them with pics and get them replaced ASAP under warranty.