Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739024 times)

furieruzu

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3990 on: May 03, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »
Anyone with issues get a response from Ace yet? I just want a replacement pivot in hope's that mine was just a dud. Can't get them on email or IG. They certainly are active on social media though. With it blowing out within a week of some very non-aggressive skating I would hope it's something they would cover. My Riptide's are working fine, even if they don't hug the stem of the hanger like the Ace pivots do and seem to make them feel a bit more squirrely. I just wanted to go stock for a bit and see how it went.

P.S. I could see nothing weird going on in the pivot area of the baseplate. It seems my pivot was just defective or something and gave out.

P.S.S. Those talking about wheel-bite aren't kidding. Even after breaking them in I'm still nervous about deep carves. Something I don't recall being an issue with my classics. Still liking them, just need to get this pivot crap sorted and perhaps go back to 54mm wheels after stepping up to 56 w/risers.

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #3991 on: May 03, 2021, 08:05:11 AM »
What risers fits ace trucks? Gonna try a set for a cruiser setup and need some risers for the big wheels. Got some indy risers will they sit flush on ace baseplates?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3992 on: May 03, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Pivot cups are $.50...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3993 on: May 03, 2021, 08:20:37 AM »
Pivot cups are $.50...
Not any that will fit the new AF1...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3994 on: May 03, 2021, 08:21:12 AM »
What risers fits ace trucks? Gonna try a set for a cruiser setup and need some risers for the big wheels. Got some indy risers will they sit flush on ace baseplates?
ive been able to get indy risers to sit flush, just don’t use the mounting holes on the riser, instead force it through the middle open area of the riser

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3995 on: May 03, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ive been able to get indy risers to sit flush, just don’t use the mounting holes on the riser, instead force it through the middle open area of the riser

Took that tip from Jay and it worked well. Also, Ace just started making their own risers and they fit perfectly.

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/products/products/shims-1-8

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3996 on: May 03, 2021, 09:16:37 AM »
Anyone with issues get a response from Ace yet? I just want a replacement pivot in hope's that mine was just a dud. Can't get them on email or IG. They certainly are active on social media though. With it blowing out within a week of some very non-aggressive skating I would hope it's something they would cover. My Riptide's are working fine, even if they don't hug the stem of the hanger like the Ace pivots do and seem to make them feel a bit more squirrely. I just wanted to go stock for a bit and see how it went.

P.S. I could see nothing weird going on in the pivot area of the baseplate. It seems my pivot was just defective or something and gave out.

P.S.S. Those talking about wheel-bite aren't kidding. Even after breaking them in I'm still nervous about deep carves. Something I don't recall being an issue with my classics. Still liking them, just need to get this pivot crap sorted and perhaps go back to 54mm wheels after stepping up to 56 w/risers.

I still haven’t heard back.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3997 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I still haven’t heard back.

So weird. on Friday I got a pair of gold AF1s delivered and they were missing an axle nut. I used their general inquiry form and heard back from them minutes later. Try that one maybe!
ok thanks

furieruzu

« Reply #3998 on: May 03, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
Pivot cups are $.50...

The price isn’t the point. Also, they aren’t on their site. They only have the ones you get in the classics which aren’t the same.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3999 on: May 03, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »

Here’s the pivot cup on the front truck of my AF1 66s I bought yesterday after about two hours of mellow slappies. Pivot cup at the back truck had squirted out quite a blob of black grease. Also the back truck started clicking at some point but it seemed to mellow out a bit as I skated more.

Turn seems even better than classics. I do get wheelbite much more easily though.

Got a set of 55s and 66s now and I do like the them but I am worried they made the pivot cups even worse instead of making them better. I don’t mind a busted pivot cup bushing as long as it works and doesn’t end up fucking up the baseplate. It does seem like there might be an issue here though and I hope they have a fix for it.

Not sure what to do with my AF1 55s and 66s now as I kinda bought them to test them out and the idea was to skate all my classics down first and only after that move to the AF1s. But if these are defective, I don’t think they’d respect a warranty claim 3 years from now. 🤔

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4000 on: May 03, 2021, 10:06:38 AM »
Not a good look for a $65 truck...

Is this a common thing with the AF1s at this point?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4001 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »
Not a good look for a $65 truck...

Is this a common thing with the AF1s at this point?

I checked both of mine and not seeing it yet, but yeah, definitely not rad.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4002 on: May 03, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
Been delaying setting mine up but I think I better get it out the way just see how mine hold up.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4003 on: May 03, 2021, 11:07:03 AM »
After a week of skating a pair of AF1 55s, I had some  major clicking just by pressing my axles lightly with my hand but it disappeared quickly after more skating. So far everything is going well anf they're feeling a bit more firm.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #4004 on: May 03, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »
Everyone is going to be examining their pivot cups with microscopes the next week. Myself included.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrenchFuck

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4005 on: May 03, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »
Been skating Ace for 7 years now. I usually skate one pair a year or until they break.

Got the new 44 AF1s about 2 weeks ago and the metal is noticeably harder. Previous model had a softer and smoother grind and these new ones grind harder... more like Ventures. The turn is the just the same but the stock bushings are better. Usually swapped the old ones for bones hards but not anymore. Hoping the axles will hold up to the impacts, so far they are perfect.

I think this new model will grab even more of the market because the reasons not to ride Ace are dwindling

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4006 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
Just to keep pals in the loop. I just received an email about my pivot cups. The person was very polite and is sending replacement pivot cups. I sent a second warranty form not long ago before getting the response from ace  about the weird notch in the pivot cup cavity.

I hope the cavity having that notch isn’t what caused the pivot cup to bust so, fingers crossed the cavity is a non issue.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:37:30 AM by Murge »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4007 on: May 03, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »
My first set of aces which was like 5/6 years ago **obliterated** both pivot cups in less than 1 month. They went from amazing carve to turning like shit. And this comes from someone that never had any problems with pivot cups before (or after). I would expected them to have fixed this issue by this point.  ::) let’s see how the pivot cups hold up on my 77’s but doesn’t sound too promising from what’s been posted.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #4008 on: May 04, 2021, 12:45:31 AM »
Tactics has the AF1s for $63-$66 now. Congrats everyone that got them for $50 lol

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4009 on: May 04, 2021, 01:57:15 AM »
still no email from ace. thunders have been treating me good enough tho so i guess it’s not a total bust. might try again with warranty in the afternoon

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #4010 on: May 04, 2021, 05:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if it was mentioned as I was just skimming through the topic

but I saw a few folks mention price, so just throwing out there that tactics has them for around 50 as opposed to 65

cant wait for mine to come in, thinking the slightly longer wheelbase may be good for me. I love how aces turn but my flip tricks have been hit or miss for a while

could be my head too tho

cheers
[close]

Yeah tactics def has for the lowest. Want to try em bad, only qualm is that they’re 51mm high? Coming from Indy’s (55mm) that’s a steep jump, especially considering I’ve been downsizing my wheels.
[close]

I’m pretty sure they’re a little higher than 51. I think closer to a true 53 based on a video I saw on YouTube
While I’m too lazy to measure I’m running mine with 56mm wheels and haven’t died so it has to be taller hah

Rollbrettfetischist

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4011 on: May 04, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »
After a couple weeks on my AF 55s set up on 3 different decks I still really dig them in transition.  Super carvy, I feel very in control, and they grind well.

Street - not so much.  I just can't get a decent ollie with them. I have lost about 8 inches off my max ollie height and my flips are weak.  Depending on the setup I usually skate Indy Ti, or I have Thunder Ti sometimes. Occasionally Mini Logo. Maybe I'm just more used to those than the Ace.

I keep trying different decks to see if I can come up with a setup that works, but to no avail.  The best ollie so far was on a Santa Cruz 8.38 with a steep tail and 14.5 wheelbase - but with that length wheelbase and heavy trucks I am not feeling great about the rotation.

Not a quiver buster truck.  I'll be skating them in transition and probably will keep skating Indy, Thunder or Mini Logo elsewhere.

It may help, if you put your backfoot more towards the bolts. I cant skate some trucks/decks with my foot on the tip.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4012 on: May 04, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
Both Tensor and ML use hard as fuck plastic for their pivot cups, yet I've never cracked them (they do end up worn like every other cup, with lots of hotdog in a hallway wiggle room); they are always a higher quality than say the stock thunders or old stock indy.

How hard is it to get this right? It's either the geo fucking up the cups or shitty 'hand poured' cups are shit...Only time will tell how fast the AF1s start shredding through non-ACE cups...

My AF1s are still untouched; got injured (off the board) and I'm out for another week at min.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #4013 on: May 04, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »
Tactics has the AF1s for $63-$66 now. Congrats everyone that got them for $50 lol

wow, got em just in time

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4014 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »
Expand Quote
After a couple weeks on my AF 55s set up on 3 different decks I still really dig them in transition.  Super carvy, I feel very in control, and they grind well.

Street - not so much.  I just can't get a decent ollie with them. I have lost about 8 inches off my max ollie height and my flips are weak.  Depending on the setup I usually skate Indy Ti, or I have Thunder Ti sometimes. Occasionally Mini Logo. Maybe I'm just more used to those than the Ace.

I keep trying different decks to see if I can come up with a setup that works, but to no avail.  The best ollie so far was on a Santa Cruz 8.38 with a steep tail and 14.5 wheelbase - but with that length wheelbase and heavy trucks I am not feeling great about the rotation.

Not a quiver buster truck.  I'll be skating them in transition and probably will keep skating Indy, Thunder or Mini Logo elsewhere.
[close]

It may help, if you put your backfoot more towards the bolts. I cant skate some trucks/decks with my foot on the tip.

Agreed- and that was already moving it in.  I skate all my mellow setups that way and more towards the edge on steep ones.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4015 on: May 05, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
So...
Maybe some of the heads who have experience machining metals can address this.
Regarding the aftermarket kingpin re-threader that can be purchased as part of a set, along w/ the axle re-threading die: after a kingpin has been ground down a bit & the top is shaved into a wedge, can you even employ/utilize the re-threader in that situation? If the die can only "catch" the edge of the thread that is highest/closest to the axle, will it be able to chase the threads?
I get that a mushroomed off axle-end can be touched with a file & the chased, but the kingpins get scraped down at a bit of an angle, comparatively.
Anybody have any knowledge 'bout that? Maybe wanna share?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4016 on: May 05, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
So...
Regarding the aftermarket kingpin re-threader that can be purchased as part of a set, along w/ the axle re-threading die: after a kingpin has been ground down a bit & the top is shaved into a wedge, can you even employ/utilize the re-threader in that situation? If the die can only "catch" the edge of the thread that is highest/closest to the axle, will it be able to chase the threads?
I get that a mushroomed off axle-end can be touched with a file & the chased, but the kingpins get scraped down at a bit of an angle, comparatively.

Never used this on a kingpin but have had to use them in a similar situation you're describing (think it was for something on a buddies dirtbike?), Anyway, split die, you place it underneath the damaged threads, then attach the wrench to start chasing the threads. Obviously you wont get a full thread near the damage point, but it'll catch, just have to be a bit more deliberate when fastening the nut.
https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/murray-tools-split-die-thread-repair-1-14.html

skateguitars

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4017 on: May 05, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »

Here’s the pivot cup on the front truck of my AF1 66s I bought yesterday after about two hours of mellow slappies. Pivot cup at the back truck had squirted out quite a blob of black grease. Also the back truck started clicking at some point but it seemed to mellow out a bit as I skated more.
I had the exact same thing happen, bought some 55s and the front trucks pivot cup basically split in half instantly after one stair sesh, and the back one looks like there is grease coming out of it. My front truck was also making a loud clicking sound anytime I turned, but seems to be getting better. Emailed Ace this morning and they are sending replacement pivot cups, so I will see how that goes. Had two pairs of classics in the past and never had any issues.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4018 on: May 05, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
So...

Yeah, I don't really get the point of the re-threading tool. If it's significantly damaged and you can only access it from one side, you will typically need split-rethreading tool. The included tool is better than nothing, but handing skaters a thread chasing tool with no cutting oil, no lever, and presumably no experience operating such a tool just means you're going to end up with a lot of cross-threaded (and still equally useless) axles.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4019 on: May 05, 2021, 02:36:41 PM »
I would be very interested to see how the pivot cups failed. When you guys get your replacements, if you could post some decent quality photos of the destroyed ones, I would appreciate it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021