Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743713 times)

chrisskates808

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4320 on: July 04, 2021, 12:00:58 AM »
wanted to try skate inverted kingpins on AF1 as i am on my classic ace but taking the af1 kingpins out is a bitch

smoothbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #4321 on: July 04, 2021, 04:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Ya I took out my AF1 77s for just the second time and started getting clicks. They’ve been otherwise great, and The size is perfect for my Heroin bigger egg.
[close]

The click thing has come up in this thread so many times. Just take the top bushing washer off - problem solved!

Exactly! It's such a non issue and the noise goes away after a couple of skates even if you keep the washers on, I don't understand why people are so upset about it

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #4322 on: July 04, 2021, 04:17:12 PM »
I know the click shouldnt be acceptable but

am i the only one who doesnt mind clicks and squeaks much??

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4323 on: July 04, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
Finally tried out the AF1s today. I purchased them the week they came out but have been holding off trying them. I'm coming off Classic 44s and onto AF1 55s. I only had an hour or so curb and flatground session on them  but I like them. I also had a new deck (very steep Hockey) so not really fair to compare to the Classics just yet. Anyway, first few grinds felt a little off but after a handful of slappies they were grinding really nice. I'd say a better curb grind than the Classics. The turn is amazing as always but does feel a little different to the classics. Maybe a tad more controlled. The bushings are still really spongey and I really hope they firm up a bit and improve rebound as they break in. I was getting pretty bad wheel bite even with a riser, with the same wheels I had on my classics without risers. My slappy crooked grinds seemed a lot better. Perhaps a better pinch than the classics? My flip tricks were way off today but I'm putting that down to the Hockey deck... way too steep nose/ tail for my taste.

All these minor changes are really just that though. Maybe they will last longer? And the slightly wider size is nice but nothing mind blowing. I didn't notice any weight difference. Its still great to ride  brand new trucks that turns properly right out the box without having to mess around with bushings.

Oh yeah, I had some minor clicking but it went away. I don't think it was the washer digging into the hanger though as there were no marks. I have had clicking on Thunder, Indy and Ace Classics though and its always gone away as trucks break in so I am not worried.

Looking forward to trying them on transition and seeing how I like them once I get used to the Hockey deck. Also have some 66s set up to try out soon.

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #4324 on: July 06, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »

yes

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4325 on: July 07, 2021, 04:47:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yes

A little click is fine but if my trucks are squeaking I will take the hanger off in the middle of a session to wax the pivot cup or hanger nub.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4326 on: July 07, 2021, 05:33:28 AM »
I haven't had the chance to skate them too much, but I heard a single click on my AF1 66's and it didn't really bother me much. Noticed that the pivot cup is a bit low quality but overall it's good.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4327 on: July 07, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
heyo Aces, I've got a pair of classic 44s on the way from a pal and I'm curious what y'all think is the best route to get them broken in would be. I've really only ever ridden Indys with stock bushings recycled from one set to the next, no bushing caps, loose as a goose for my 145lb ass. Tips are appreciated. thanks

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4328 on: July 07, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
heyo Aces, I've got a pair of classic 44s on the way from a pal and I'm curious what y'all think is the best route to get them broken in would be. I've really only ever ridden Indys with stock bushings recycled from one set to the next, no bushing caps, loose as a goose for my 145lb ass. Tips are appreciated. thanks

I'm about 180 so different experience but I usually ride them stock or with a flat washer up top. You could probably try them stock for a few sessions then adjust if you need to. Classics usually take a bit of riding around to break in but once they are I have never had a set break on me.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4329 on: July 07, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »

The standard advice is just to ride them as is and the bushings will break in quickly. Worked for me
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4330 on: July 07, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »
Yup just have at it and ignore when/if the bushings get fucked looking, they’ll ride fine.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4331 on: July 07, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »
How are the 03 lows?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

IpathCats

« Reply #4332 on: July 08, 2021, 02:22:44 AM »
Flying to Portland today, didn't feel like checking extra bags or my board. Gonna go to shrunken head and get a complete to ride while I'm there, maybe mail it back or just leave it there with family. Hopefully they have some af1s, been wanting to try a set but couldn't really justify it.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4333 on: July 08, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
Shrunk has them. So does Cal's Pharmacy and Cal Skate.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #4334 on: July 10, 2021, 07:19:58 AM »
After months of following this topic, I still don't know if I should buy classics or af1

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #4335 on: July 10, 2021, 08:41:44 AM »
After months of following this topic, I still don't know if I should buy classics or af1
glad I missed absolutely nothing that’ll matter when I ride my skateboard

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4336 on: July 10, 2021, 09:06:47 AM »

If you're trying Ace for the first time and you like the Classic sizes, I'd just go Classic and save a few $s. If you become an Ace convert then try the AF1s at a later date.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4337 on: July 11, 2021, 03:45:35 AM »
I have a pair of A1 55s on the way, not sure whether I should be stoked or not tbh

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #4338 on: July 11, 2021, 05:18:56 AM »
I have a pair of A1 55s on the way, not sure whether I should be stoked or not tbh

I JUST set up a new complete tonight with ACR A1 66s, and one of the mounting holes was too small for the bolt!!!

The shop owner rolled her eyes and said ‘we’ve had a lot of that with Ace, including one truck missing a mounting hole’.

Fuck. I haven’t heard any of that on here, so unfortunately it just might be the shipment to Japan.

Fortunately she had a drill with the right sized bit and I got it on. Worked beautifully after that.

But fuck.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #4339 on: July 12, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
Rode for a couple days, meh. Anyone in Portland wanna buy a setup with a shrunken head shop deck, 8.38, a set of af1 55's, 56mm f4 classics 99a, and reds?

gabbesucks

Ace pivot cups
« Reply #4340 on: July 12, 2021, 08:38:36 PM »
How do you guys slow down the inevitable pivot cup destruction with Ace? Mine usually last about a week only

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #4341 on: July 13, 2021, 07:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you're trying Ace for the first time and you like the Classic sizes, I'd just go Classic and save a few $s. If you become an Ace convert then try the AF1s at a later date.

They were basically the same price so i just got AF1 44s.
Just asking for my bag full of emergency backups, which bushings fit in there? Nobody around me offers ace bushings, but indy, thunder, doh-doh and sunrise bushings

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4342 on: July 13, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »
swapped out my 44 classics for my AF1 55s on my FA 8.25 deck and i like it. much less all over the place and so much more stable. the bushings broke in quite nice too. oh and the clicking is gone. very noiceeeeeee

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #4343 on: July 13, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »
So I recently borrowed my buddy's angle grinder and used it on my Ace classic baseplate kingpins and made the mistake of not setting the nut and ended up grinding them down a little too far. The only backup baseplates I had were from the AF1's that I didn't care for, so I did the same with them and this time I set the nut. It melted the nylock inside the nut and also the top bushings, then I had to let them cool down and take everything apart and scrub the crud off the kingpin with a wire brush. Seems like the slight difference in geometry causes the AF1 kingpins to sit pretty damn high with a classic hanger on em, so in the end it offered some help with clearance but not too much since my hangers are ground down pretty far.

This is my first time trying the angle grinder method and I think you can buy em for pretty cheap. It's still a slight hassle having to mess around with your trucks that much, but I think it may be the better option compared to the inverted kingpin method. No hammering, JB welding, etc. Just grind the kingpin down and then use a shorter top bushing and you're good to go. Oh, and if you keep the grinder level and pay close attention you can make sure the nut catches the threads afterward and you won't need a thread die. Hope this helped any other truck maniacs, shalom.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4344 on: July 13, 2021, 11:35:59 AM »
So I recently borrowed my buddy's angle grinder and used it on my Ace classic baseplate kingpins and made the mistake of not setting the nut and ended up grinding them down a little too far. The only backup baseplates I had were from the AF1's that I didn't care for, so I did the same with them and this time I set the nut. It melted the nylock inside the nut and also the top bushings, then I had to let them cool down and take everything apart and scrub the crud off the kingpin with a wire brush. Seems like the slight difference in geometry causes the AF1 kingpins to sit pretty damn high with a classic hanger on em, so in the end it offered some help with clearance but not too much since my hangers are ground down pretty far.

This is my first time trying the angle grinder method and I think you can buy em for pretty cheap. It's still a slight hassle having to mess around with your trucks that much, but I think it may be the better option compared to the inverted kingpin method. No hammering, JB welding, etc. Just grind the kingpin down and then use a shorter top bushing and you're good to go. Oh, and if you keep the grinder level and pay close attention you can make sure the nut catches the threads afterward and you won't need a thread die. Hope this helped any other truck maniacs, shalom.

I’ve been debating on doing this to my AF1s. Which top bushing did you use? Or how much shorter did you take take the bushings? I got 3 threads showing and I wanna cut them off and maybe get a thinner top nut.

logjammin

« Reply #4345 on: July 13, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
I have a schizoid OCD box filled with a mountain of truck components and bushings, from the looks of what I grabbed I'm pretty sure they're Krux, basically any top bushing out there is shorter than Ace's. What kingpin nut are you referring to? If I can find one that's shorter and grind down more of the kingpin with angle grinder round 2 then I definitely will. Shalom.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4346 on: July 14, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
Rode for a couple days, meh. Anyone in Portland wanna buy a setup with a shrunken head shop deck, 8.38, a set of af1 55's, 56mm f4 classics 99a, and reds?
Damn can you leave it at my buddy's house in SE? I'm gonna be down there for August and had planned on doing what you did, just buying a setup when I get there. I usually skate 8.5 but damn if the price is right....

IpathCats

« Reply #4347 on: July 14, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn can you leave it at my buddy's house in SE? I'm gonna be down there for August and had planned on doing what you did, just buying a setup when I get there. I usually skate 8.5 but damn if the price is right....

Sorry already hopped on my plane. Left it with my lady's little bro haha

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #4348 on: July 14, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
Cyrus riding aces in the new Huf commercial if anyone cares

logjammin

« Reply #4349 on: July 15, 2021, 07:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I have a schizoid OCD box filled with a mountain of truck components and bushings, from the looks of what I grabbed I'm pretty sure they're Krux, basically any top bushing out there is shorter than Ace's. What kingpin nut are you referring to? If I can find one that's shorter and grind down more of the kingpin with angle grinder round 2 then I definitely will. Shalom.
[close]

Trimming down the top bushings will help with the height too, especially if you feel like you have taken the kingpin down too much, as the Ace bushings are so tall, so they still work when cut down lots.  I used some I thought I had cut too much (almost in half) but they still worked well on a kingpin that had been skated almost to death and grinded way down past where I thought I could still get a nut on.  An older nut worked well too, already half grinded, but you can take some of the head off once it is on where you need it too.

Re your kingpins - did you grind the top off or cut straight through it?

One other brand board (with crazy tall kingpins) I helped with we left the truck assembly on the board and just cut through the kingpin, but I alternated the cutting so the kingpin would cool a bit, eg cut the front some, then the back some, then went to the front again, so it didn't melt the nyloc or bushing.

I grabbed a couple fresh harder durometer top bushings out of the box and used a cheese grater and shaved em down close to nothing and will be taking off a lot more kingpin with the angle grinder, I'm stoked because it's going to be so much clearance now! My method with the angle grinder is just grind it from the top for awhile, then check to see if everything is even. The AF1 kingpins take a bit longer because I think they're harder than the classics.