Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747395 times)

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4860 on: November 03, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gifted Hater just dropped his Ace AF1 review. Go crazy

[close]

i agree with him that aces make skating harder but it does feel good when you land tricks
[close]

Yea I agree with his assessment mostly. Wonder who he is on here? He's obviously on here, multiple SLAP references.

He’s said he doesn’t have a slap account before

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4861 on: November 03, 2021, 11:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i agree with him that aces make skating harder but it does feel good when you land tricks
[close]

Yea I agree with his assessment mostly. Wonder who he is on here? He's obviously on here, multiple SLAP references.
[close]

To be fair though, I would also lie about having a Slap account if pressed

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4862 on: November 03, 2021, 11:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

People post selfies here and I don’t even want to reveal what region of the United States I’m from
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #4863 on: November 03, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I refuse to believe he's not a regular poster on here.

kevs.clips

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4864 on: November 04, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone popped an inverted kingpin into their AF1s? Heard through Insta that they’re a pain in the ass to get out. Wanna try it but worried I’m just gonna bash away at the baseplate to no avail.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #4865 on: November 04, 2021, 09:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.
[close]

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.
[close]

Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better.

I'm a couple sessions in on these with no adjustments and I gotta be honest, I'm having a really rough time. How long did you wait to tinker with yours, if at all?

IpathCats

« Reply #4866 on: November 04, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.
[close]

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.
[close]

Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better.
[close]

I'm a couple sessions in on these with no adjustments and I gotta be honest, I'm having a really rough time. How long did you wait to tinker with yours, if at all?

What's the issue?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4867 on: November 04, 2021, 10:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

With classics I don’t adjust.
Quit trying to rip.
For me, the bushings firm up in about a week. Maybe rock back and forth on the board on your carpet to speed it up. Can’t rush it tho. Turn is worth it.
Thunders kinda the oppo for me in that first day they skate great

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4868 on: November 04, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the issue?

They're just not breaking in. I can barely turn and they feel so tight. I know new trucks take time but I haven't felt this awkward on a skateboard since I was a kid.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quit trying to rip.
For me, the bushings firm up in about a week. Maybe rock back and forth on the board on your carpet to speed it up. Can’t rush it tho. Turn is worth it.

Alright, I'll give them a week before I do anything. It also probably doesn't help that it's gotten pretty cold here but I figure I should suffer through this now before indoor park season starts.

IpathCats

« Reply #4869 on: November 04, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the issue?
[close]

They're just not breaking in. I can barely turn and they feel so tight. I know new trucks take time but I haven't felt this awkward on a skateboard since I was a kid.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quit trying to rip.
[close]

Alright, I'll give them a week before I do anything. It also probably doesn't help that it's gotten pretty cold here but I figure I should suffer through this now before indoor park season starts.

They deff get harder in the cold, just loosen them as much as you can without the nut falling off. rocking back and forth isnt a bad idea. Do you ride your shit SUPER loose?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4870 on: November 04, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the issue?
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quit trying to rip.
[close]

[close]

They deff get harder in the cold, just loosen them as much as you can without the nut falling off. rocking back and forth isnt a bad idea. Do you ride your shit SUPER loose?

Not Daewon loose or anything, but fairly. The trucks I just retired had a slight wiggle to them but that was more because they're old than a conscious decision. I stepped on someone else's board with some weathered Ace trucks and they were plenty loose yet stable so I know my time's coming. But woof, I wish there was a shortcut lol.

IpathCats

« Reply #4871 on: November 04, 2021, 11:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the issue?
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quit trying to rip.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not Daewon loose or anything, but fairly. The trucks I just retired had a slight wiggle to them but that was more because they're old than a conscious decision. I stepped on someone else's board with some weathered Ace trucks and they were plenty loose yet stable so I know my time's coming. But woof, I wish there was a shortcut lol.

I feel you, just loosen them as much as you safely can, and let it rock. the cold is slowing things down, but it will happen.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4872 on: November 04, 2021, 01:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the issue?
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quit trying to rip.
[close]

[close]

[close]

There is a shortcut and it’s easy. Change those stock washers to Indy washers for example. The Ace classic washers are fucking trash. They’re thicker than most others and are too small otherwise too. They restrict the turn. It’s no good. I usually can’t deal with the break in and just change the washers instead and the trucks are good to go with no tinkering needed until the pivot cups are done.

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4873 on: November 05, 2021, 05:11:58 PM »
has anyone noticed that the Ace af1 has a smaller than normal hangar? I have the 55's (8.5), the trucks fit on my board more like an Indy 144 (8.25). I even measured the hangars and they measured the same as an Indy 144 hangar.   

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4874 on: November 05, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »
You have to measure the coned bit of the hangers also.

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4875 on: November 05, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
You have to measure the coned bit of the hangers also.

yeah I did, with calipers. it measured 147mm. I just put 2 washers on the inside of each wheel to compensate.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4876 on: November 05, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »
Just measured mine. Yep, you are right. Still wider than Classic 44s though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4877 on: November 05, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »
Do any of you find the AF1 also have longer axles like the Classics?

I can put four washers on a set of Classic 44s and still have play with the nut completely on, so although they are still not quite the same as 149s they are very close.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #4878 on: November 06, 2021, 02:49:06 PM »
has anyone noticed that the Ace af1 has a smaller than normal hangar? I have the 55's (8.5), the trucks fit on my board more like an Indy 144 (8.25). I even measured the hangars and they measured the same as an Indy 144 hangar.

Yes. My AF1 44s are basically an 8inch truck. 140mm

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4879 on: November 07, 2021, 04:50:44 PM »
That would explain why my AF1 55s aren’t hotrod-ing on a 8.38 deck!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4880 on: November 07, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
af1 66s might be the 8.75 aces youve all been waiting for ;D
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4881 on: November 07, 2021, 06:16:48 PM »

I like them best with an 8.75

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4882 on: November 07, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Alright, I'm a week in and they still don't feel good. I even went against people's advice and loosened them and they just don't feel that responsive. A buddy of mine showed up with a brand new set of 55 Classics and his felt better day one then mine do now. (I'm riding 44 Classics on an 8.38 board.)

I dunno if his wider truck just felt better or if my stock bushings won't adjust to the mild cold but I'm ready to start tinkering and/or giving up on these.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4883 on: November 07, 2021, 07:45:20 PM »

Alas, my AF1 66s are the same size as my Classic 55s.

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Rep: -6
  • Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #4884 on: November 09, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »
Re: pivot cup destruction
This guy demonstrates how most traditional kingpin trucks destroy pivots because of pivot pin/pivot angle mismatch

https://changingangles.com/2021/05/05/tkp-trucks-history-and-quirks/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:08:37 AM by Post A Fit Fuccboi »
I'll give you one thing, you got half your name right.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4885 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:10 AM »
This guy demonstrates how all traditional kingpin trucks destroy pivots because of pivot angle-kingpin angle mismatch

Sounds like you need some Caliber IIIs
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

kenjiro

« Reply #4886 on: November 09, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
I’ve destroyed all my pivot cups on trucks except aces. slappy crooks fucks em up.

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Rep: -6
  • Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #4887 on: November 09, 2021, 08:32:29 AM »
Expand Quote
This guy demonstrates how all traditional kingpin trucks destroy pivots because of pivot angle-kingpin angle mismatch

[close]

Sounds like you need some Caliber IIIs

I edited my post a bit. He does show some TKP designs that are more aligned.

I also misworded--it's the pivot pin and pivot angle mismatch that contributes to the pivot cup thing. Kingpin angle is something he explores lower in the page. FWIW I love aces and bennetts and indies even though they're "wrong"
I'll give you one thing, you got half your name right.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #4888 on: November 11, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
That would explain why my AF1 55s aren’t hotrod-ing on a 8.38 deck!

No 8.5 axle truck would anyway.

Skated both Indy & thunder 149’s and AF1 55’s on 8.25 which don’t hot rod let alone 8.38. They sit perfectly flush…

Chronic85

« Reply #4889 on: November 13, 2021, 12:15:02 AM »
Yo.

Im riding ACE Trucks for a while now and i was pretty happy with the Classics and starting to like the new AF1s too.

For whatever reason i got a problem with both versions now...

The axle seems to be moving. I dont know how to explain it properly since english is not my native language but i'll try.
Some weeks ago i noticed my wheels would somehow get stuck from time to time.
In between Sessions i got the feeling my setup slowed down somehow. Then i noticed that one wheel was sitting very tight and wasnt moving at all anymore.
I usually give them some space to wiggle so i was very confused on how this was happening. Dunno if the Axle was bent already or moving in the hanger.

This happened on a set of Classics.

Bought some brand new Classics. Came in already bent since deck had hell of a ghost turn even after broken in.

Bought another set of AF1s. Thought i was fine for now, but again wheels are getting stuck mid session from time to time.
I also noticed that nearly every trucks axle i bought since this shit is happening to me is so fucking short..
The axle nut sits barely flush on the axle and i dont got any extra washers on it. Only the two coming with the trucks.
This tilts me even more than the stuck wheels cause it adds up to the problem since there is even less space for the wheel.

Drives me crazy...

Did i just bought several bad QC trucks? Or am i missing something?