Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 705837 times)

flocke and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2670 on: May 17, 2020, 08:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone try the tablets and have switched back to something else ?
[close]

Yeah they weren't bad by any means, no spitfire f4 is bad, but I definitely prefer radial slims over tablets. Some may feel the opposite.
[close]

What did you like about the radial slims over the tablets ?

Thanks for the info by the way
[close]
Currently on tablets and I have a set of radial slims in 99a on their way this week. I tend to go back and fourth between radial slims classics and now tablets but to me the radial slims and tablets are pretty similar
see i loved radial slims and im liking the conical fulls. have a feeling tablets are in the middle of both? or do they feel much clunkier?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2671 on: May 17, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2672 on: May 17, 2020, 09:34:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone try the tablets and have switched back to something else ?
[close]

Yeah they weren't bad by any means, no spitfire f4 is bad, but I definitely prefer radial slims over tablets. Some may feel the opposite.
[close]

What did you like about the radial slims over the tablets ?

Thanks for the info by the way

Radial slims:
- slimmer riding surface at first plus the taper makes them feel a bit lighter and more nimble
- feels faster to me on smooth ground
- the fact that its not completely flat makes them less likely to hang up and they slappy better
- i like the way they look more

Tablets:
- lock in slightly better on round rails and chunky ledges (but radial slims lock in really good too, not a big difference)
- more riding surface straight away, can handle rough ground better for sure (though radial slims still have a decent contact patch, more than classics so they aren't bad by any means)

If you value absolute lock in ability or skate rough terrain you'll probably like tablets more, but personally I prefer radial slims for the above reasons.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:35:55 PM by tzhangdox »

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #2673 on: May 17, 2020, 11:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody had this happen? Put bearings in this set of radial slims and when I went today to set them up noticed one of the wheels had split entirely to the core....sent in a note to DLX so let's see.

[close]
never have i ever
[close]
What's going on here?
First time seeing sth like that.

can you let us know what DLX says? if they fully refund your money or give you another set, etc.

lysdexia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #2674 on: May 17, 2020, 11:05:30 PM »
Anybody had this happen? Put bearings in this set of radial slims and when I went today to set them up noticed one of the wheels had split entirely to the core....sent in a note to DLX so let's see.

were the bearings incredibly tight in there before it split?  my last set of 53mm radial slims have what seem to be poorly moulded/machined cores.  the bearings were really hard to install, and don't seat all the way in.  they skate perfectly fine, so i was never particularly concerned by it, but i reckon i can see how it could split like that if there was the same core issue along with a defect in the urethane somewhere there, enough force in to tight a hole, and something has to give!

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #2675 on: May 18, 2020, 12:10:41 AM »

Keep us updated. Hope they replaced. I've seen this happen with other wheels. Never with Spitfires though. This happened to a friend YEARS ago. Bam Element wheels, in like 2002/2003. Took him to the shop and were replaced without a hassle. I want to say he got the same ones again because it happened twice back to back. He ended up getting another brand the third time. Recently went back to Spitfires after having Ricta's for years and have had no issues with them.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2676 on: May 18, 2020, 12:27:44 AM »
If the bearing slot is too tight it definitely won't help but I don't necessarily think that its what split the wheel, especially if there wasn't too much trouble getting the bearing in in the first place.

When this happened to me on f4 radial slims, I had just set them up and skated 3 mins down to my local spot (some slightly rough ground and some powersliding) and by the time I got there one of my wheels was split in half like this.

Upon closer inspection the split wheel had gathered noticeably more dust on the contact patch and looked much darker than the others despite it rolling over the same terrain... kinda leads me to believe that it was a faulty batch of urethane.

sgm06sti

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2677 on: May 18, 2020, 01:42:22 AM »
Thanks dox for the detailed reply. Very helpful

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2678 on: May 18, 2020, 04:36:05 AM »
Can anyone recommend me a shape of formula 4's? I've skated for 15 years and never ridden anything but 53mm STF V3's. Always just stuck with what I know I suppose, but these current set are starting to get pretty worn down and I've found I wanna try something new, seems F4's are by far the most recommended wheel.

I've been eyeing up conical slims or just regular conicals. What advantages do the wider contact patch really have?  Mainly a park skater, ledges, transition. Not really too technical. Anything else to consider? Cheers!

Wider contact patch is really good for tranny, give you just a little extra grip while still able to slide. Adds a bit of extra weight, but not enough to worry about.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2679 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
Can anyone recommend me a shape of formula 4's? I've skated for 15 years and never ridden anything but 53mm STF V3's. Always just stuck with what I know I suppose, but these current set are starting to get pretty worn down and I've found I wanna try something new, seems F4's are by far the most recommended wheel.

I've been eyeing up conical slims or just regular conicals. What advantages do the wider contact patch really have?  Mainly a park skater, ledges, transition. Not really too technical. Anything else to consider? Cheers!

Radial slims!

411bandit

• Rep: -42
« Reply #2680 on: May 18, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »
Does anyone really notice the difference between f4 101 and 99.

Currently riding 101 f4 classic shapes. The terrain in my town is pretty shitty so I'd like something a bit softer.

I'm strapped for cash though so not sure if the investment is worth it

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2681 on: May 18, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »
Does anyone really notice the difference between f4 101 and 99.

Currently riding 101 f4 classic shapes. The terrain in my town is pretty shitty so I'd like something a bit softer.

I'm strapped for cash though so not sure if the investment is worth it
I only notice the different on power slides really. I would go 99a for almost everything

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2682 on: May 18, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »
Definitely prefer 99s, just that little bit more forgiving on less than perfect ground.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2683 on: May 18, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Definitely prefer 99s, just that little bit more forgiving on less than perfect ground.

I used to be die hard 101/103a or nothing but lately hitting the crustier spots I've warmed up to 99s again (STF Easy streets all week after 101a Radial Slims - enjoyed the 99 STFs much more); just picked up some 99a 53mm Lock-ins for a change of pace (holy hell finding 99a lockins was like pulling teeth - if you want a set lemme know and I will point you in the right direction 53s or 52s in stock).

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2684 on: May 18, 2020, 04:22:39 PM »
I might get the classic formula spits in the OG classic shape (exact same as conical full??) to switch things up. Will they feel a decent amount smoother on rough?

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2685 on: May 18, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
I might get the classic formula spits in the OG classic shape (exact same as conical full??) to switch things up. Will they feel a decent amount smoother on rough?

i love og classics. i live in NY so they feel good to me for all around shit. definitely more of noticeable grip compared to f4s.(still prefer f4s in a park or anything super smooth) the difference is there but its not drastic, you can still slide them but may just feel more resistance

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2686 on: May 18, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i love og classics. i live in NY so they feel good to me for all around shit. definitely more of noticeable grip compared to f4s.(still prefer f4s in a park or anything super smooth) the difference is there but its not drastic, you can still slide them but may just feel more resistance
nice good call. Smoothness? Any comparisons there? Dont mind so much the grip, makes complete sense though. 

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #2687 on: May 18, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
I see 101's on the package and my knees are like

N a h
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2688 on: May 18, 2020, 09:40:00 PM »

N a h
i skate cupsolesand looking to get footprint orthotics so that should balance it out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2689 on: May 18, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »
Expand Quote

N a h
[close]
i skate cupsolesand looking to get footprint orthotics so that should balance it out

101s+FP insoles+shit streets still means rattled teeth and sore knees

Wood and crust 99s

Park and plazas 101/103+

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2690 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
nice good call. Smoothness? Any comparisons there? Dont mind so much the grip, makes complete sense though.

the smoothness is definitely less noticeable than on f4s.  i feel like you cant compare to the smoothness of an f4.  the og classics have very tiny tread on the wheels where they contact the ground.  they also are more susceptible to flatspotting than an f4 but that should go without saying.  i def recommend a pair,  theyre my favorite shaped/looking wheel out

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #2691 on: May 19, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

N a h
[close]
[close]

101s+FP insoles+shit streets still means rattled teeth and sore knees

Wood and crust 99s

Park and plazas 101/103+

So true about joints and harder wheels.
 It’s probably been a decade since I had a p2 (some fairly small Appleyard, that was actually really fun) but I remember that board making my knees hurt too.

Diocletian

« Reply #2692 on: May 20, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »
I imagine 101 conical fulls have to be insanely slippery. I'm on the 99's and they're the easiest wheels to powerslide and sometimes I don't feel that extra grip you'd think they would have. No complaints though, best wheels ever.

thebacker

« Reply #2693 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2694 on: May 20, 2020, 09:32:40 AM »
^Holy shit dude.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2695 on: May 20, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »
Non colored 56mm conical fulls 99a available anywhere?

BL0B

• Rep: 414

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2697 on: May 20, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »

^

https://laborskateshop.com/collections/wheels/products/formula-four-99d-conical-full-56mm?variant=30985205874790
hell yeah thank you was looking for days. looks like per their IG a few hours ago they just got a shipment in

chappers

« Reply #2698 on: June 12, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

the smoothness is definitely less noticeable than on f4s.  i feel like you cant compare to the smoothness of an f4.  the og classics have very tiny tread on the wheels where they contact the ground.  they also are more susceptible to flatspotting than an f4 but that should go without saying.  i def recommend a pair,  theyre my favorite shaped/looking wheel out

are bigheads the same as og classics? bigheads are more readily available in shops here over og classics

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #2699 on: June 12, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Rounder sidewalls

Bigheads are heavy af
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore