Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689502 times)

fs1/2cab and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3090 on: November 30, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
Thinking about switching from conical fulls to something slimmer next set as I ride more park now. My wheels are at their widest point right now and grips way to much on concrete.

Cant find radial slims which seems like a good in between shape, only classics and fulls avalible.

How are the classics for park skating? And how are they riding on decent asphalt?

Classics have a very minimal contact patch when new, then widen out as they get worn down. 

To me they still ride just as well on anything, but depending on how fast you are going, or how rough the surface is, you might agree or disagree.

Also the 99 vs 101 debate is also valid - depending on what you prefer in hardness too.

Any new wheel is usually going to feel better than any old worn down wheel though.

If they are still a reasonable size, but just too wide for your liking, I have used an angle grinder to take the sides down to make a thinner wheel in the past, which worked well, but if you are not sure what you are doing, it could be a bad move.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CfVwoFjEp/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #3091 on: December 03, 2020, 07:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Thinking about switching from conical fulls to something slimmer next set as I ride more park now. My wheels are at their widest point right now and grips way to much on concrete.

Cant find radial slims which seems like a good in between shape, only classics and fulls avalible.

How are the classics for park skating? And how are they riding on decent asphalt?
[close]

Classics have a very minimal contact patch when new, then widen out as they get worn down. 

To me they still ride just as well on anything, but depending on how fast you are going, or how rough the surface is, you might agree or disagree.

Also the 99 vs 101 debate is also valid - depending on what you prefer in hardness too.

Any new wheel is usually going to feel better than any old worn down wheel though.

If they are still a reasonable size, but just too wide for your liking, I have used an angle grinder to take the sides down to make a thinner wheel in the past, which worked well, but if you are not sure what you are doing, it could be a bad move.

That's impressive, have to try that some day if i ever find myself with a angle grinder.

Thanks for the input, I'll get a pair in the future when my conicals are done.

99a is perfect to me, I dont see a reason to go 101.

I've found 53mm & 55mm classics in stock, anyone prefer one over the other when paired with 144 trucks? Have 3 spacers on the inside so maybe theyre more like 149ish.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3092 on: December 03, 2020, 07:46:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's impressive, have to try that some day if i ever find myself with a angle grinder.

Thanks for the input, I'll get a pair in the future when my conicals are done.

99a is perfect to me, I dont see a reason to go 101.

I've found 53mm & 55mm classics in stock, anyone prefer one over the other when paired with 144 trucks? Have 3 spacers on the inside so maybe theyre more like 149ish.

I would personally go with 55 myself, but 53 would also work. Currently on 54 classics, and before that I was on 56 conical full, so 55 would be right in the middle.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3093 on: December 03, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »

For the concrete park: 52 conicals 101 (just conicals, not fulls) are great for me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3094 on: December 03, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »

A little bigger will last longer, but might feel a bit funny or too big when you first get them, but they are also a bit wider, which depending on your preference, will also mean they end up more like conical full when they wear down some too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3095 on: December 05, 2020, 02:48:00 AM »
This delivery looks to have Formula Four OG Classics in 58 and 60 that I can see, so there are probably more coming for those who like the bigger wheels.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIY-I5yFnRp/

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #3096 on: December 05, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »
Would anyone be interested in trading any used 99a for my 101a Tablets? Still got lots of life left (~52mm). Probably spent a month or so on em before I realized I identify as 99a.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3097 on: December 11, 2020, 11:20:16 PM »
Anyone else had trouble finding Chargers lately? My go-to's on my big boy for cruising are the 80HD 54mm and I've been striking out on them over the past month or two

I am sure I saw some recently in a shop post, but I do follow a lot of shops so not sure I can recall where it was.

Also copied to the Spitfire Formula Four thread, just in case someone had seen some and can also post where.

Parade World has heaps, so just add to cart and then see where else they have them in stock.

https://www.paradeworld.com/search/?query=spitfire%20chargers

In Canada, Tiki Room has heaps of chargers, so check with your local as they might have some now too.

https://tikiroomskateboards.com/collections/spitfire
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:58:37 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3098 on: December 12, 2020, 12:42:55 AM »
thanks for posting that, want 52's BAAAAAAD

Formula Four OG Classic green swirl 52mm are in...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgxGMqBNmH/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3099 on: December 12, 2020, 12:48:07 AM »
And here if you are in Canada

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIT5l8jHE0J/

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3100 on: December 12, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
I just got some of the Cardiel F4 Deep Tabs in 53. New shape I hadn't heard of yet on CCS, impulse buy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3101 on: December 12, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »
I just got some of the Cardiel F4 Deep Tabs in 53. New shape I hadn't heard of yet on CCS, impulse buy.

Deep cuts are the graphic name, tablet is the shape, which has been around for a while but a good wheel all the same!!!

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall20/sf-2020-d4-dt-02.jpg

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3102 on: December 13, 2020, 01:07:01 AM »
Can anyone reiterate on which F4 I should try coming from Bones SPF 84B? Someone said I should go with 101A but I am worried they’ll be too slippery in the smooth concrete bowl I am skating a lot.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3103 on: December 13, 2020, 01:37:49 AM »
Can anyone reiterate on which F4 I should try coming from Bones SPF 84B? Someone said I should go with 101A but I am worried they’ll be too slippery in the smooth concrete bowl I am skating a lot.

They are such different formulas of wheels, but smooth concrete is less likely going to be slippery on 99s, but some others say 101 might be a bit more like SPF wheels in general.  I just skated some new 60mm SPF wheels on someone's board on the ramp the other day and thought they felt more grippy than I remember, but I am much more of a Formula Four 99 duro guy, the right amount of stick and slide for me anyway.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3104 on: December 13, 2020, 01:48:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are such different formulas of wheels, but smooth concrete is less likely going to be slippery on 99s, but some others say 101 might be a bit more like SPF wheels in general.  I just skated some new 60mm SPF wheels on someone's board on the ramp the other day and thought they felt more grippy than I remember, but I am much more of a Formula Four 99 duro guy, the right amount of stick and slide for me anyway.

Thanks, I'll give the 99A ones a shot!

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3105 on: December 13, 2020, 03:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Deep cuts are the graphic name, tablet is the shape, which has been around for a while but a good wheel all the same!!!

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall20/sf-2020-d4-dt-02.jpg

I knew I couldn't go wrong.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #3107 on: December 15, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »

99a is my go to. 101’s are just too slick for me when I skate transition, but that’s just me.

Personally, I’d say go for 99a conical fulls.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3108 on: December 15, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

99a is my go to. 101’s are just too slick for me when I skate transition, but that’s just me.

I pretty much only skate transition and 99du at a smooth skatepark is a dream! conical full or the og classic now that its f4, would both be we the way to go. I prefer Conical Full
Proverbs 27:17

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3109 on: December 15, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »

The second pic - streamlined (pricepoint looking) tablets too, very interesting!!!

I prefer that graphic over most of the other ones anyway, simple and the inner circle area with the info doesn't really get worn too.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3110 on: December 15, 2020, 05:03:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The second pic - streamlined (pricepoint looking) tablets too, very interesting!!!

I prefer that graphic over most of the other ones anyway, simple and the inner circle area with the info doesn't really get worn too.

yeah thought that was interesting. kind of look like those price point joints

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #3111 on: December 16, 2020, 12:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

damn those do look fresh... hahah  i gotta fresh set of classics im tempted to try to remove the graphic
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3112 on: December 16, 2020, 01:45:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I pretty much only skate transition and 99du at a smooth skatepark is a dream! conical full or the og classic now that its f4, would both be we the way to go. I prefer Conical Full

Cool, thanks to both of you. Now fully set on trying these, will be interesting how they perform skating street as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3113 on: December 16, 2020, 05:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

damn those do look fresh... hahah  i gotta fresh set of classics im tempted to try to remove the graphic

Super easy if you own an angle grinder.  Put the complete on its back or side, start the grinder and gently use the flat part of the blade on the wheel, so the wheel and the blade spin, which in turn takes off the graphic in about two seconds, each wheel, down to whatever part you want.

The other option is have the graphic out on the complete, hold the board by the rail edge and drag one side with both the wheels on an angle over medium concrete, making the wheels turn but scraping the graphic on the ground, which wears away the outer part of the graphic but leaves the inner part. It takes longer, but you don't need anything besides your board and concrete.

I have done this many times and both will work easily enough.

It makes this:

Look like this:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:27:44 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3114 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:55 AM »
I always liked the small ring graphic on the inside of the lock ins more than the outside graphic too, but that is just me and I wouldn't ride them the other way round, even though people have set them up that way and it works well enough.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3115 on: December 16, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »

84b SPFs are my favorite park wheel, but I don’t like 99a or 101a F4s at the park because they slip out easy. The 97A F4s are fantastic and they grip at the park similarly to the SPFs and still speedy. I’d try out the 97s if I was you

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: December 16, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

84b SPFs are my favorite park wheel, but I don’t like 99a or 101a F4s at the park because they slip out easy. The 97A F4s are fantastic and they grip at the park similarly to the SPFs and still speedy. I’d try out the 97s if I was you

Time to reconsider, I guess! Maybe I should just stick to SPFs. Can you still comfortably slide tricks on flat with 97A F4s?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3117 on: December 16, 2020, 02:42:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Time to reconsider, I guess! Maybe I should just stick to SPFs. Can you still comfortably slide tricks on flat with 97A F4s?

Yeah the slide is very controllable like they are on the SPFs, gotta put a smidge more effort into them though since they are softer, but it's really not an issue it's still a hard wheel. They bark really nice too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3118 on: December 16, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It would be good if there was someone you knew who had some 99s on a board you could try.  I guess it depends when you skate and if there are many or any others around too, because asking a random how their wheels are can be a bit much, let alone asking for a go on their board.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3119 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
I’d have to put them on my board since my setup is so specific. At that point it’s probably better to just order and try for myself. But this discussion helps to narrow it down. I am tempted to try the 97As since people tell me softer wheels help them deal with the shitty ground we have all over the place here in Berlin.