Author Topic: real confessions  (Read 1733788 times)

imposter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
Re: real confessions
« Reply #9690 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
I don't enjoy modern East Coast skateboarding

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9691 on: August 26, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Mid-30s here and skateboarding got way more enjoyable for me in my 30s than in my 20s. In my 20s I struggled with plateauing, not picking new tricks up and barely holding onto my staples. In my 30s I find myself more relaxed about progression and just enjoying my time on the board. I work a boring corporate job as an analyst in a really dull segment of IT, I look forward to every weekend where I got 4 hours of me time at the park from 7-11am, I'm never going to be pro so I don't see a point in killing myself doing it.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skating has just made me so angry lately. Ive probably had a few months where I haven't been feeling as stoked as i usually do on skating. Don't get me wrong the passion still burns but it seems to piss me off more than it hypes me up.
I seem to be just going through a period of stagnation, I haven't learnt anything new in weeks and when I do try something new I just get completely smoked on a slam. I've tried mixing it up by skating curbs and trying new stuff but even then the spots will turn to busts or it'll rain or some shit.

Maybe I'm just a pussy, maybe I'm just yearning for different things in skating. Maybe I'm just venting. Fuckin stupid.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How old are you?
[close]

I'm 25 mate
[close]

Take that slam dude. For real, and enjoy it. Film yourself, even if you don't share, just to see where you fuck up.

From experience, you will be pissed when you're older if you don't take the good with the bad and just go for what you want to do. Just have fun. Fuck it, dont even flip your board. I barely do. Just ride around if you're stagnant on tricks. Bomb some hills.

Also, for sure get a rain board. A shitty board to use in a little rain or the occasional wet ditch or whatever. It is a great option for when you feel that itch, but don't wanna fuck up your new setup.
[close]

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to speak to me and add your experiences. I just need to remember why I started skating and continue to love skating, because it's such a fun, free thing to do. Need to take myself less serious, haha. Cheers guys, much love.

Not to be a nag but skating in your 20s can be a drag - progress (a huge part of the skateboarding experience) lags behind, you're body is starting to slow down and life commitments catch up. You spend less time on the board, means you progress slower, your consistency goes down and you feel shitty about your session. It's a vicious cycle that caused me to just say fuck it and stopped skateboarding altogether.

I'm not sure if you have other interest but looking outside of skateboarding has been really helpful for me. In the 10-ish years I took off I picked up riding my motorcycle at the track, surfing and Muay Thai kickboxing, all of which allowed me to channel the stuff I learned from skateboarding (persistence, body mechanics, balance) into a meaningful form. It made the return to skateboarding much more rewarding because I didn't tie my physical worth to how many tries it took me to tailslide a fucking ledge.

If all else fails, go work on another aspect of skateboarding you missed out in your younger days. I wished I learned how to skate transition or carve a bowl when I was younger; go pick it up while you're still young and spritely!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #9692 on: August 28, 2020, 05:06:54 AM »
Mental health pretty poor
Think I'm getting married
S.o.s.

Why get married?

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #9693 on: August 31, 2020, 11:25:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Mental health pretty poor
Think I'm getting married
S.o.s.
[close]

Why get married?

Well gonna sound pathetic. Just to escape current living situation & live comfortably with a cute girl

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #9694 on: September 01, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
highlight in my life right now is the fact that lil wayne's No Ceilings mixtape from '09 made it to streaming... misplaced that file so long ago. it aint the whole thing but heavy early high school vibes are holding it down right now... i dont think i'll ever change the first quote in my sig ha...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #9695 on: September 02, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
i mow the lawn in my reynolds g6

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #9696 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »
I was never good at skating and stayed stagnant for tricks. I gave up on flip tricks and grinds I was limited to what I could do (nose slides, board slides, and occasionally a krook).

Being in quarantine I’ve had the patience/need to skate. I’ve been getting kickflips and heelflips down. Today I landed my first 50-50. I’m so stoked!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9697 on: September 02, 2020, 11:16:41 PM »
I was never good at skating and stayed stagnant for tricks. I gave up on flip tricks and grinds I was limited to what I could do (nose slides, board slides, and occasionally a krook).

Being in quarantine I’ve had the patience/need to skate. I’ve been getting kickflips and heelflips down. Today I landed my first 50-50. I’m so stoked!

+1, I'm finally getting my kickflip consistent after years of mob flips. Heelflips can suck a fuck.

I hate the content Braille releases but I admire their content first strategy and non-traditional means of turning "pro". They make "core" companies look dated; using the tradition means of going pro and getting paid board / shoe royalties. I wonder what percentage of their revenue is from YouTube content versus product sales.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hombreezy

« Reply #9698 on: September 03, 2020, 08:10:04 AM »
I can kickflip in to handrails and skate stairs like it’s my job but I’ve never dropped in on anything taller than 4ft lol

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9699 on: September 04, 2020, 01:18:32 AM »
I know right
I gave up on kickys a long time ago just skipped that shit and did other flip tricks
Been skating like every night for six weeks
Ran my front foot over quite a few times but I’m starting to get them and nollie flips now wtf

Fell on my head pretty hard one night my bro said it was like a melon hitting concrete and I had to sit down for a minute
fucking worth it
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #9700 on: September 04, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
i had two very hilarious bike crashes two nights in a row that must have made me look like a total idiot to everyone who saw me.

first one was me clipping the sidewalk coming from the road. that was fast and sudden and i got a few bruises and everyone around laughed at me, rightfully so...

second one was a totally crazy escalation of bullshit moments. meandering around at a moderate speed and with a heavy backpack my front wheel suddenly locks up, which makes me fall forward a bit. so now i sit on the top tube and my feet are also dangling around and all the while my front wheel keeps stuttering and i figure my brake is off alignment(the wheel is a bit warped as well) but i am too concerned with making my bike stop. then i have to dodge an in conveniently parked e-scooter, another stutter, i can't keep my weight back because i can't get my foot onto my pedals so i slip forward again, this time my left leg gets somehow caught between the front wheel and the frame, which makes the bike finally stop but not without making me almost flip over, onto the street into a bus nonetheless if it had gone really bad.

i had to figure out how to unknot myself out of my bike and couldn't explain to myself how i didn't break my left leg or not kill myself during the whole process.

so my front brake was knocked off alignment and along with my warped front wheel made it stutter so bad and my heavy as fuck backpack made the slipping worse and on top of that i am bad at cycling and that it is how i would have become a star on youtube or instagram if anybody had filmed this, i'm pretty sure. i mean i was embarrassed and terrified when it happened but also laughed really hard at how dumb i must have looked.

thinking about starting a twitch channel named "world's worst cyclist" so my cycling related death can be televised so others can learn from my mistakes.

Featherdale wildlife park

« Reply #9701 on: September 05, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »
Most people’s rock n rolls make me sick.

« Reply #9702 on: September 05, 2020, 07:30:14 AM »
Gnar bob in cows gives me a boner

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9703 on: September 05, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
I act the fool here during dramatic times. Which is  relief & curse at same time

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9704 on: September 05, 2020, 12:22:24 PM »
Also be safe on bike Frank. You clearly not, wiped out two times just messing around.  Bare minimum please wear a helmet then improve your pheriperal vision so you can see & predict from all angles 

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #9705 on: September 07, 2020, 05:40:27 AM »
24 days off hard alcohol, went to a party type thing last night which was a challenge but I made it through. Still drinking around 10+ beers a day but I was killing close to 1/2 gallons of whiskey a week for most of this year. I guess the real confession part is that im not finding my therapist to be very helpful, but i’ve got one or two free more sessions before I have to end it...

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9706 on: September 08, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Also be safe on bike Frank. You clearly not, wiped out two times just messing around.  Bare minimum please wear a helmet then improve your pheriperal vision so you can see & predict from all angles

true, i've been taking awareness more seriously since then, still haven't got a helmet yet although it's up high on the to buy list. trying to take a more chill and safe approach.

on top of the slams i also got a ticket for crossing a red light(at night with no one around but the cops were watching from a little dark spot with all the lights off) so i feel after pushing my limits for a few months, this week has been sort of a reality check, especially after what happened to fongstarr i actually wanted to take it easier.

and to fully disclose my shitty road rager past, i've been no stranger to accidents, which ultimately only harmed myself and my vehicles, but i totaled 2 cars in my life and caught plenty of speeding tickets. i've basically sworn off driving a motored vehicle because i don't trust myself. i usually end up fucking around with them in one way or another.

also a good friend of mine whooped my ass verbally pretty good after i told him about that second one, haha. i was all joking like "yeah man, see, fuck brakes, haha, if i have had a fixie that wouldn't have happened..." he just replies "you're a fucking moron..." and goes on for a good 15 minutes why. he was 100% right with everything.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9707 on: September 08, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
I reckon joints and stuff are same as any  moving part that breaks down over time
I don’t know if there’s like a set number of swivels you get or anything but anyway I am suss on fixies, wear your knee out doing shit like that I save mine for other things
Onespeed ok just not fixie
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9708 on: September 08, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »
I reckon joints and stuff are same as any  moving part that breaks down over time
I don’t know if there’s like a set number of swivels you get or anything but anyway I am suss on fixies, wear your knee out doing shit like that I save mine for other things
Onespeed ok just not fixie

that's kind of a joke amongst us because my friend dislikes fixies. i'm riding a single speed. i'd like to have one to fuck around and learn stuff like riding backwards with, but i wouldn't part with my bike for one.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 683
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #9709 on: September 09, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
I’ve chalked up losing my kickflips due to a horrible ankle roll at 23, but realize I lost the timing and muscle memory after I recovered, and that loss of timing had slowly taken over a majority of my tricks
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

« Reply #9710 on: September 12, 2020, 03:38:41 AM »
Birdman. Switch bodyjar. Propaganda.
#maddogbowl

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9711 on: September 12, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
I’ve chalked up losing my kickflips due to a horrible ankle roll at 23, but realize I lost the timing and muscle memory after I recovered, and that loss of timing had slowly taken over a majority of my tricks

same, i'm on a mission to get them back though. hard to do since the weather been fairly unstable lately and i seem to have only free time when it rains.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9712 on: September 12, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
i drunkenly focused my deck for the first time and im scared how much that relieved my stress.....

non skate related issues but man i feel better.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9713 on: September 12, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
don’t be

being bad feels so good sometimes

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #9714 on: September 12, 2020, 11:26:02 PM »
i drunkenly focused my deck for the first time and im scared how much that relieved my stress.....

A focused deck is better than most other destructive alternatives
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #9715 on: September 13, 2020, 03:52:33 PM »
Someone posted an instagram post on here from a skateboarding news account and I went in the IG comments and told them they should focus it, then the next day the account had disappeared. I felt kinda bad but also like I'd affected change in the world that day. Just wanted to get that off my chest
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9716 on: September 14, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
I probably skate my trunk/rain/junk setup, more than any of my other, much nicer setups.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #9717 on: September 14, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
A focused deck is better than most other destructive alternatives

It helps release the pent up anger and stress a lot. Especially when you can physically grasp it. Yeah some kid could skate it but you gotta our yourself first so you can help other later.

I probably skate my trunk/rain/junk setup, more than any of my other, much nicer setups.

Just brought out mine and my bearings and bushings are mad squeaky. Is the secret using your board more?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9718 on: September 14, 2020, 07:26:52 PM »
Someone posted an instagram post on here from a skateboarding news account and I went in the IG comments and told them they should focus it, then the next day the account had disappeared. I felt kinda bad but also like I'd affected change in the world that day. Just wanted to get that off my chest

did they block you

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #9719 on: September 18, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »

That's been my problem for years ever since I rolled my back ankle. I try experimenting with different techniques and the closest one I've gotten to a decent kickflip was practicing doing an ollie in the kickflip position and then moving your foot slightly off. Even then my bad habits come to fruition and I'll land one out of maybe 25-50.