Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777804 times)

kneebone, Schinken, moonordie and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2430 on: January 15, 2020, 07:45:06 AM »
Thinking of trying either a set of Bones V1 or V3, looking to try a thinner wheel after trying having fun with Concials For sliding on ledges. I got some V5 on 55mm, think they may be too big, so either a 52 or 53mm
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #2431 on: January 15, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
Thinking of trying either a set of Bones V1 or V3, looking to try a thinner wheel after trying having fun with Concials For sliding on ledges. I got some V5 on 55mm, think they may be too big, so either a 52 or 53mm

I just made the move from the v3 52mm(29mm wide) to the v3 54mm(30mm wide). I haven't skated the 54s yet because of weather. But I loved my time on the 52s. I think that the slim hard wheel takes to damage a little worse than say the v5's which I rode prior to the v3 move. I had some chips in the wheel, that did not affect performance. I tried 2  pairs of crupie, but they flat spotted before the graphic wore off. Spite fire slims are not slim just have a narrower contact patch. I think autobahn were slim but good luck finding them.

Water is Nice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #2432 on: January 15, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »
Someone here ordered bunty cakes to Europe? Saw that it was possible now and I'm kinda tempted, but steep shipping at 12 dollars, the wheels are still cheap tho.

I'm not EU but I would trust boardy to make sure that you get your wheels. That shipping is totally reasonable to me,  buying a set of wheels in my local shop is $36 so that's about the same. I definitely recommend that you do it.. They aren't going to replace your spitfires, but they're so much fun to mess around and do flat ground tricks on.
[/quote]
The idea I had was to set up some ventures, skinny board and 42 mm to flip around but imma w8 a while, the small wheels look so cool when they show the whole hanger and nuts that's what I like with them.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2433 on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
Any recommendations on a slim and small 50-51mm wheel? Was checking out the obvious Bones V3s and SF4 radial slims, but didn't know if they're are any other better options like dial tones or anything like that?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2434 on: January 15, 2020, 06:23:29 PM »

I've been back on bones since the Easy Streets dropped. V1 shape mostly (I'll swap out my STF V1s 53s I use at the park to the 52 easys when I hit the shit streets out here, makes a world of difference). I've an old run down set of V5s (my favorite shape) and want to grab some in 54 but can't find them, 55 is just too burly (I know one fucking MM). Also have a rundown set of 52 V3s (my other fav shape).

What I'm planning on doing is grabbing some 54MM V3s I think, contact patch is wider than the same size V1/2 but width is still a 'trimmer' shape all around (much like the spit tabs).

Was riding a set of F4101 Radial Slims one day, slid better than the easy streets (and on par with regs STF) but they completely deadend the feel and sound of my board which I hate.

Ultimatley ALL my wheels are hovering around 52/51 and I want to up the game to 54s.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:07:26 PM by Xen »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2435 on: January 15, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »
I've rediscovered the simple joys of slappy noseslides and my f4s looked like they were not happy so I bought a few sets of graphic blem bones stf v2 53mm for about $18 a set. I bought them out so don't bother to look unless they put up some new ones.

https://www.skateone.com/skateboard-specials/wheels
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:04:29 PM by layzieyez »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2436 on: January 15, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »
I've rediscovered the simple joys of slappy noseslides and my f4s looked like they were not happy so I bought a few sets of graphic blem bones stf v2 53mm for about $18 a set. I bought them out so don't bother to look unless they put up some new ones.

so 5 sets for $18 but you have no idea whats in the box?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2437 on: January 15, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been back on bones since the Easy Streets dropped. V1 shape mostly (I'll swap out my STF V1s 53s I use at the park to the 52 easys when I hit the shit streets out here, makes a world of difference). I've an old run down set of V5s (my favorite shape) and want to grab some in 54 but can't find them, 55 is just too burly. Also have a rundown set of 52 V3s (my othe rfav shape).

What I'm planning on doing is grabbing some 54MM V3s I think, contact patch is wider than the same size V1/2 but width is still a 'trimmer' shape all around (much like the spit tabs).

Was riding a set of F4101 Radial Slims one day, slid better than the easy streets (and on par with regs STF) but they completely deadend the feel and sound of my board which I hate.

Ultimatley ALL my wheels are hovering around 52/51 and I want to up the game to 54s.

54s seem perfect due to the added pop and wear down time. im definitely sizing up from 52s on my next set. they wear down to sub 50 too quickly for my wallet's liking
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2438 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »

Man, I love that its OK to not ollie into stuff again...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2439 on: January 15, 2020, 08:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been back on bones since the Easy Streets dropped. V1 shape mostly (I'll swap out my STF V1s 53s I use at the park to the 52 easys when I hit the shit streets out here, makes a world of difference). I've an old run down set of V5s (my favorite shape) and want to grab some in 54 but can't find them, 55 is just too burly. Also have a rundown set of 52 V3s (my othe rfav shape).

Ultimately ALL my wheels are hovering around 52/51 and I want to up the game to 54s.
[close]

54s seem perfect due to the added pop and wear down time. im definitely sizing up from 52s on my next set. they wear down to sub 50 too quickly for my wallet's liking

I'm on taller trucks (tensorATG) with a shorter tail so bigger wheels is the way to go for me popwise. I really wanted to go for some conical fulls (been slappy sessioning more recently with those tensor mags :P) but can't find anything local but 52s...I'd go for 54mm V5 easys if I could find them (I know my local has the v3 54s tho)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2440 on: January 15, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so 5 sets for $18 but you have no idea whats in the box?
No, they had graphic blemished wheels on sale for $25 each set. I had some points that I got from a previous purchase which knocked the price down further. I bought 4 sets for free shipping.

That current offer is for longboard wheels.

Diocletian

« Reply #2441 on: January 15, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »
Anyone looking for an excellent indoor wheel should try these. I’ve been skating them for a couple weeks and they don’t slip at all. Powerslide perfectly fine on streets and concrete. The wheel graphic color is incorrect on their photo. Mine came red/black.

http://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-ripper-skateboard-wheels-54mm-97a-4pk

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2442 on: January 15, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »
Anyone looking for an excellent indoor wheel should try these. I’ve been skating them for a couple weeks and they don’t slip at all. Powerslide perfectly fine on streets and concrete. The wheel graphic color is incorrect on their photo. Mine came red/black.

I've been eyeballing these for a cruiser-ish setup. The graphic and Powell stigma put me off a lil.
What's the width like? Similar to conical full or Bones wide-cut? Wider?
What do they sound like when they slide? Screechy? Goose call? Quiet?

Expand Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the OJ Boserio 97a 60mms? Not sure if theyre just gimicky or actually functional. They look fun for everything except maybe ledges because theyre so wide.
[close]

Not the Boserio's, but I did have a chance to screw around on a setup with some Slimeballs which are the same duro/formula. They cut a little bit of roughness out of shitty ground, but still slide pretty easily. The ones I tried were the more classic/conical shape though, not the super wide 60's. Wish OJ would make some plain white 97a's in the 54mm range. All they have are those hideous Creature collab things.
Same question. What do they sound like?
And are all the 97a's the og formula?

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/search?Search=97a
Teamriders for $25
I always like the teamrider shape but too big for me now
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:29:55 AM by satan »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2443 on: January 16, 2020, 06:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ultimately ALL my wheels are hovering around 52/51 and I want to up the game to 54s.
[close]

[close]

I'm on taller trucks (tensorATG) with a shorter tail so bigger wheels is the way to go for me popwise. I really wanted to go for some conical fulls (been slappy sessioning more recently with those tensor mags :P) but can't find anything local but 52s...I'd go for 54mm V5 easys if I could find them (I know my local has the v3 54s tho)

Got a pair of V1 in 52mm, been looking for a softer wheel but they were going at $18 so I thought why not. I'll set it up this weekend.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #2444 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the "STF ninety-nine" and "easy street" 99a
[close]

Im also curious about this. I want to give bones a shot. I had some along time ago and weirdly liked them a lot

Ben Degros does a 99 Easy Streets review and speaks to all of this. Worth a watch.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #2445 on: January 16, 2020, 07:17:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the "STF ninety-nine" and "easy street" 99a
[close]

Im also curious about this. I want to give bones a shot. I had some along time ago and weirdly liked them a lot
[close]

the easy streets have "STF 99" printed on them.
I always assumed that "Easy Streets" were just a rebranding of the 99a differentiate them from the 83b wheels they're more known for. Like Spitfire F4's are more associated with the 99a and not the 101a. Bones definitely went with that natural color for the 99a's compete with spitfire. The whole point of Bones is that they were "BONE" white.

If they actually changed the formula I have not idea.

I’m pretty sure they’re named Bones after Ray “Bones” Rodriquez. If they applied that other thinking thereafter it was probably a gimmick.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2446 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:24 AM »
'easy streets' and 'dirty birds' were phased out (because they suck name-wise and cause brand/product confusion).

Both the white and dirty birds easy streets are now the 99a stfs, as they should have been from the start.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2447 on: January 16, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »

I had these as well, work great outside on crusty surfaces, I really wanted to like them but they were a little too big for my liking. Wish they would make a 52 or 51 version 97a.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2448 on: January 16, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »
Anyone fuck with those Pig Prime Naturals? And where are they made?

satan

« Reply #2449 on: January 16, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the easy streets have "STF 99" printed on them.
I always assumed that "Easy Streets" were just a rebranding of the 99a differentiate them from the 83b wheels they're more known for. Like Spitfire F4's are more associated with the 99a and not the 101a. Bones definitely went with that natural color for the 99a's compete with spitfire. The whole point of Bones is that they were "BONE" white.

If they actually changed the formula I have not idea.
[close]

I’m pretty sure they’re named Bones after Ray “Bones” Rodriquez. If they applied that other thinking thereafter it was probably a gimmick.
I forget about Ray Bones..
Was gonna say watch Animal Chin or the older vids and look for white wheels.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2450 on: January 16, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »
Anyone fuck with those Pig Prime Naturals? And where are they made?

Pigs are just Bones Wheels rejects. Not all wheels turn out perfectly so Pig buys Bones rejects then they trim a bit of the urethane off to make them consistent. Then a pig swallows them in even sets of 4. 53mm one day, 58mm another day not to stretch out the pigs rectum. After that they are rinsed and sold at a loss. Pig Wheels operates at a deficit of 30k a year to supply the buyer with the best possible wheels. The spirit of the Pig lies within the wheel forever and gives you that pop and slide that is so desired by the skate industry right now.

lysdexia

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2451 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:06 PM »
i had always wondered about the setup at Pig, thanks for the enlightenment

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2452 on: January 16, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »

Don't get me started on Pig Wood

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #2453 on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't get me started on Pig Wood

old Bacon decks trimmed down?

satan

« Reply #2454 on: January 17, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
bumpies
Expand Quote

[close]
I've been eyeballing these for a cruiser-ish setup. The graphic and Powell stigma put me off a lil.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the OJ Boserio 97a 60mms? Not sure if theyre just gimicky or actually functional. They look fun for everything except maybe ledges because theyre so wide.
[close]

Not the Boserio's, but I did have a chance to screw around on a setup with some Slimeballs which are the same duro/formula. They cut a little bit of roughness out of shitty ground, but still slide pretty easily. The ones I tried were the more classic/conical shape though, not the super wide 60's. Wish OJ would make some plain white 97a's in the 54mm range. All they have are those hideous Creature collab things.
[close]
Same question. What do they sound like?
And are all the 97a's the og formula?

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/search?Search=97a
Teamriders for $25
I always like the teamrider shape but too big for me now

Diocletian

« Reply #2455 on: January 18, 2020, 06:27:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve only been able to skate indoor mostly because it’s been too cold and/or snow. I did skate them outside one session and remember them chirping enough to be satisfied. They’re a conical cut but more of a skinny looking wheel, like a V2 bones shape but more conical-y.

I had these as well, work great outside on crusty surfaces, I really wanted to like them but they were a little too big for my liking. Wish they would make a 52 or 51 version 97a.

I’ve been skating 56-58mm for awhile so these actually look tiny to me now.

satan

« Reply #2456 on: January 19, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I'm hoping for a chirpy 97a, at least that direction sound-wise. They're almost the only game in town for white 97a wheels too.

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/nomads-56mm-97a
https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/bill-danforth-pro-model-58mm-97a
These look wide and they're white. Is it ok/pc to support the nomad? I haven't been keeping up
Also have black 55mm/96a and grey 60mm/98a

http://rainskateswheels.com
Idk if I could handle the colors. Definitely not the wired cuts/shapes

Old fart tangent..
Do wheels sound different now? I haven't ridden softer than 99a in decades.
edit: sorry for putting mike v on you guys but at least it's og stuff. skip to 2:40 for skating
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4M5rPSf0ZY
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:46:20 PM by satan »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: January 19, 2020, 11:15:20 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I'm hoping for a chirpy 97a, at least that direction sound-wise. They're almost the only game in town for white 97a wheels too.

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/nomads-56mm-97a
https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/bill-danforth-pro-model-58mm-97a
These look wide and they're white. Is it ok/pc to support the nomad? I haven't been keeping up
Also have black 55mm/96a and grey 60mm/98a

http://rainskateswheels.com
Idk if I could handle the colors. Definitely not the wired cuts/shapes

Old fart tangent..
Do wheels sound different now? I haven't ridden softer than 99a in decades.
edit: sorry for putting mike v on you guys but at least it's og stuff. skip to 2:40 for skating
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4M5rPSf0ZY

Mic tech and old petroleum-based wheels.

satan

« Reply #2458 on: January 19, 2020, 11:25:22 PM »
Really? I'd guessed that there was a big chemical change at some point but didn't know for sure.
When was the change away from petroleum based? Around the time F1's came out?
And what did they change to?
Did it have anything to do with the Kyoto Protocol? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2459 on: January 23, 2020, 06:10:42 AM »
Looking for some advice on softer street wheels. My girlfriend wants to start skating so I’m planning out her setup. She said she wants to buy me a setup for valentines so I’m gonna hand me down my Indy 129’s and let her choose an 8 inch or whatever she likes. The only part of the setup I haven’t figured out is the wheels. I don’t think she’s going to do much besides maybe learn to Ollie so this board will be mostly for skating around Tokyo, parks and skate parks with me while I skate. I figure a softer street wheel that’s on the larger side will be ideal. Problem is I have basically no knowledge on those, I basically stopped thinking about wheels since I started using formula fours.

I don’t think I wanna go with a straight up cruiser wheel, but want something in 54-55 that is soft enough to roll over bumps and deeply grouted tile without too much popping effort or bone rattling harshness, while still feeling somewhat like a “normal” street wheel.

Any advice would be appreciated since I have no idea were to start with these.