Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225728 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1860 on: February 28, 2023, 03:38:21 PM »
BA shape been in the stores a little while now.
Gotcha. I couldn't remember if it was in here or the Big Boys thread where someone asked if his shape was actually a 15.05 or just a 15 on the low. Just thought I'd add fuel to the fire that DLX is slightly fudgy with their dims.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1861 on: February 28, 2023, 03:58:19 PM »
Expand Quote
BA shape been in the stores a little while now.
[close]
Gotcha. I couldn't remember if it was in here or the Big Boys thread where someone asked if his shape was actually a 15.05 or just a 15 on the low. Just thought I'd add fuel to the fire that DLX is slightly fudgy with their dims.

It is funny though, I guess just like I can feel the difference between my usual 8.38 and 8.5 boards, but having slightly less width makes such a difference on a board, between the 8.8 and the 9.0 sizes in those boards.

I am still yet to see one, but I have an old white graphic "18" 8.83 ish deck with a longer wheelbase that is pretty much the in between size of the 8.75 and the 9.0 so I can guess what it would be like.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #1862 on: February 28, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »
Great set up vid. now I want to try and tre flip a 15" wheelbase like BA...

However,....

I'm seeing some pretty unacceptable top bushing abuse... First Tom Penny and now BA... #toomanythreads

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #1863 on: March 02, 2023, 06:28:59 AM »
^^ i as well have fallen victim to enjoying that BA setup video way too much.  all of a sudden im thinking, damn im 6'3 also, do i need a 9in eagle??

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1864 on: March 11, 2023, 04:43:56 PM »
Anyone know if the the 8.75 white eagle is a standard BBS 8.75 shape/spec or is it unique to DLX?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1865 on: March 11, 2023, 05:14:01 PM »
Anyone know if the the 8.75 white eagle is a standard BBS 8.75 shape/spec or is it unique to DLX?

I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.

The 8.62 was also used for Black Label boards when I compared, but other brands that have 8.75 were different usually, shorter wheelbases for brands like Polar, Heroin, etc.

Also the DLX 8.75 tapers significantly from front to back, which is not that common when compared to some other shapes, or at least the ones I have compared them to.

Edit:

To add to that, others I know have been used more broadly across the BBS range or brands include:

8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb

9.0 x 33 with 15 wb

Most of the DLX shapes seem to be very unique in terms of the specific shape, even though some of the dimensions are similar to other brands, so they do keep a fairly tight hold on to their own shape catalog.

I wonder if those other boards were just ones that had been copied or seemed more generic shapes or if they started as other branded shapes and DLX took them on as they fit well in their own range.  Either way, no matter as there are so many options, even more now with the Tru Fit boards, even though I am not at all interested in anything under 14.38 wb or 32 length, there are still a lot of people who will benefit from a better size board for their needs.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:09:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1866 on: March 11, 2023, 05:45:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 8.62 was also used for Black Label boards when I compared, but other brands that have 8.75 were different usually, shorter wheelbases for brands like Polar, Heroin, etc.

Also the DLX 8.75 tapers significantly from front to back, which is not that common when compared to some other shapes, or at least the ones I have compared them to.

This is great info. Thanks!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1867 on: March 12, 2023, 11:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The 8.75 does taper, but I'm not sure I'd use the word "significantly" to describe it. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1868 on: March 12, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The 8.75 does taper, but I'm not sure I'd use the word "significantly" to describe it.

Yeah it is not egg or PS Stix kind of taper, but putting the 8.75 beside the 8.62 which is straight throught the rail, the 8.75 starts off wider at the shoulder and ended up more narrow than the 8.62 at the hip, which I only realised after looking at the back wheels which were sticking out on the Indy 159s that were just under the front.

Much the same way that the 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb does the same thing beside the 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb (your favourite).  The 8.5 starts off wider at the shoulder but then tapers to again be more narrow than the 8.25 at the hip.

To amend my previous statement, the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.62 and 9.0 are straight through, whereas the 8.5 and 8.75 taper "somewhat" from shoulder to tail.

They are all still good boards, depending on your needs and wants, so it is not like some are perfect and others are rubbish.

:)

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1869 on: March 12, 2023, 04:31:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah it is not egg or PS Stix kind of taper, but putting the 8.75 beside the 8.62 which is straight throught the rail, the 8.75 starts off wider at the shoulder and ended up more narrow than the 8.62 at the hip, which I only realised after looking at the back wheels which were sticking out on the Indy 159s that were just under the front.

Much the same way that the 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb does the same thing beside the 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb (your favourite).  The 8.5 starts off wider at the shoulder but then tapers to again be more narrow than the 8.25 at the hip.

To amend my previous statement, the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.62 and 9.0 are straight through, whereas the 8.5 and 8.75 taper "somewhat" from shoulder to tail.

They are all still good boards, depending on your needs and wants, so it is not like some are perfect and others are rubbish.

:)

It seems to work for my endless “bean plant on a bank” variations so I’m happy.

Thanks, again!

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1870 on: March 12, 2023, 07:39:01 PM »
For reference, I took some measurements of the taper on the 8.75 Classic Eagle. It's not a huge taper (especially compared to the football shaped boards I've been skating), but it does happen quickly. Just below the front bolts it starts tapering and quickly levels out around the middle of the board.

Front Bolts: 8.75
Middle: 8.5
Back bolts: 8.5

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1871 on: March 13, 2023, 02:48:14 PM »
I started a thread asking if all antihero boards are heat transfer, aside from the eagle team board. Really dislike heat transfer, i only ride screen print, just one of those things.
That BA video made me want to try the 8.88 but can only find them online.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1872 on: March 13, 2023, 02:59:03 PM »
Pretty sure they are all heat transfers including the eagle.

Seems like only a very few smaller companies do Screen printing these days. Shame. Paint is nice to smudge and slide on.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1873 on: March 13, 2023, 07:31:53 PM »
I started a thread asking if all antihero boards are heat transfer, aside from the eagle team board. Really dislike heat transfer, i only ride screen print, just one of those things.
That BA video made me want to try the 8.88 but can only find them online.

So what boards are you actually riding nowdays?

Just curious.

Pretty sure they are all heat transfers including the eagle.

Seems like only a very few smaller companies do Screen printing these days. Shame. Paint is nice to smudge and slide on.

I have some older boards that were still screen printed and for some it is quite hard to tell the difference, but yeah 99.99% of skateboard graphics now are all done with heat transfers, with very few exceptions, almost only limited edition reissues and one or two board brands that have smaller runs and advertise "screen printed" in big bold letters.

Screaming Squeedges was the main company that still did a lot of them, but not sure if they even still do many boards now at all.

https://www.instagram.com/screamingsqueegees/

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1874 on: March 13, 2023, 09:16:59 PM »
Screaming Squeegees is Chicken from Pocket Pistols, I believe.

Pretty sure all PP decks are screened.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1875 on: March 15, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have like a list or catalog of every shape Antihero has made? idk just curious and would like to see them all next to each other.
[close]

Would be sick. T
Obviously I’m old and nostalgic, but the early anti hero and Krooked stuff was pretty rad, to me. Some of it now is too. And some seems more paint by numbers.
The old shapes would be interesting. Seeing all of the little ass boards they used to make would be dope

I have a lot of the old catalogs and recall most of their boards over the years, but by no means a complete list.

The DLX Shapes thread is here though:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

That is about as close as you are going to get, but I can put up some stuff there too if you are really keen.

Edit:

Even just going back to the first page of that thread from 2015 and comparing catalog pics of boards back then - most are still online too, just google them - and it is interesting to see how different boards are now, as well as what some people had been asking for.

Here's a couple just to get you started:

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring15/ah.html

https://www.dlxsf.com/fall15/ah.html

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1876 on: March 15, 2023, 10:51:21 PM »

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1877 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
For the 8.38 True Fit shape, what trucks are going to fit it better 8.25s or 8.5s? The 14” WB seems so beautiful.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1878 on: March 16, 2023, 05:15:34 PM »
For the 8.38 True Fit shape, what trucks are going to fit it better 8.25s or 8.5s? The 14” WB seems so beautiful.

There are two different thoughts on this, but it is up to you whether you prefer trucks that fit pretty much perfectly to the width, or trucks that sit under the board a bit.

I ride 149s (8.5) trucks on my 8.38s but others I know ride 144s (8.25) trucks on theirs.

There is not right or wrong answer, but I find that the 144s just sit too far in to be comfortable for me and the 149s don't show any wheel when looking directly down on the board, maybe just a little bit of nut.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1879 on: March 16, 2023, 09:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are two different thoughts on this, but it is up to you whether you prefer trucks that fit pretty much perfectly to the width, or trucks that sit under the board a bit.

I ride 149s (8.5) trucks on my 8.38s but others I know ride 144s (8.25) trucks on theirs.

There is not right or wrong answer, but I find that the 144s just sit too far in to be comfortable for me and the 149s don't show any wheel when looking directly down on the board, maybe just a little bit of nut.

^ That. 149s will put the outer edge of (most) wheels flush with the edge of deck, with axle nuts sticking out a bit. 144s will put outer edge of (most) wheels inside the edge of deck a bit, and even the edge of axle buts just a hair inside the edge of the deck. As said above, there is no "correct" answer, it's just what ever you like more. 144s will cause the board to flip a bit easier, and 149s will make it feel a bit more stable. 

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1880 on: March 17, 2023, 02:47:27 AM »
Been looking at Krooked decks to replace my current AH deck ( 8.5 mis register )
Can't deal with the 14" WB, just isn't for me. Also the concave is too much. Want something a little bit more mellow.
Might been too big of a change coming from my Baker 8.25 deck.

I actually enjoy the Baker deck, but it was gifted to me and don't feel the urge to continue skating and/or buying Baker decks.

Is there a Krooked deck that has the width around 8.25, but looks wider without actually being wider? ( fuller shape / nose / tail ?? )

Specs Baker:

width: 8.25"
length: 31.875"
wheelbase: 14.25"
nose: 6.875"
tail: 6.5"

Specs AH Eagle

8.5 x 31.35; 14" WB

Has Krooked something in between? Been looking at the the cromer shape... but hesitant since I need to order online.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: March 17, 2023, 04:20:46 AM »
Been looking at Krooked decks to replace my current AH deck ( 8.5 mis register )
Can't deal with the 14" WB, just isn't for me. Also the concave is too much. Want something a little bit more mellow.
Might been too big of a change coming from my Baker 8.25 deck.

I actually enjoy the Baker deck, but it was gifted to me and don't feel the urge to continue skating and/or buying Baker decks.

Is there a Krooked deck that has the width around 8.25, but looks wider without actually being wider? ( fuller shape / nose / tail ?? )

Specs Baker:

width: 8.25"
length: 31.875"
wheelbase: 14.25"
nose: 6.875"
tail: 6.5"

Specs AH Eagle

8.5 x 31.35; 14" WB

Has Krooked something in between? Been looking at the the cromer shape... but hesitant since I need to order online.

So first, check out the catalogs, both the current one and previous one for what is most likely still in shops:

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2023

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2022

As well as the other two, just to cover all bases:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2023/

DLX has a few options, but the first thing to note is boards are marked with I, II, III or IV on top, with IV being the most mellow concave, so I would be looking more for a IV or a III marked board, over a I or II.  This can be a struggle if you can't see in person, but they are clearly seen through the shrink so anyone in a shop should be able to check for you if you call or message them.

Decks from Antihero, Real or Krooked all have the same shapes, but there are some specific shapes that are used more for one brand than the others, info as follows:

Regular 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase, pretty perfect all round and feels wider than Baker 8.25 boards.  They come in all three brands.

In between 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wheelbase is longer all up and one I prefer, but most people would find it a little too long, unless you are tall or prefer a transition based board.

Most common 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wheelbase, which is not really 8.5 wide and maybe the best one for you given you want a slightly wider board with similar dimensions.

Just note there are a few different 8.5 width boards, one that is 8.5 x 32.2 with 14.38 wheelbase that is way bigger than the other one.

That board you had was the very specific short version which was called the "Mis registered" Eagle, but the normal blue Eagle in the 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wheelbase is the size that I would recommend to try and might be a little more common in all numbers including IV as shops might have multiple boards of that size and graphic.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1882 on: March 17, 2023, 05:45:26 AM »
thanks mbrimson!

found two decks online.
Krooked Manderson dimensions:

8.38"
31.875"
14.25"

Krooked Cromer dimensions:

8.25"
lengte: 31.875"
14.38"

Might try the Manderson shape, since it has the exact same dimensions like the Baker, while being a little bit wider.
Think the length of the cromer might be 32" instead of 31.875 though. But not that it matters much.
Just need to get away from the small 14" WB.

Ideally, I should just buy both of them.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #1883 on: March 19, 2023, 05:11:47 PM »
I just set up my 8.5 Curbmanments decks…. Pissed.

It’s an 8.25! Not even a 8.38 it’s an 8.25 right on the money. I went back to my order and looked at the sticker that both say 8.5.  I’m not about the hot Rod life.

Wheel base reads 13 5/8”. Length 31 3/16”
II stamp on top.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1884 on: March 19, 2023, 05:23:22 PM »

It’s an 8.25! Not even a 8.38 it’s an 8.25 right on the money. I went back to my order and looked at the sticker that both say 8.5.  I’m not about the hot Rod life.

II stamp on top.

Damn. I just ordered the 8.38 Krooked Style True Fit Mold. I’m hoping it measures correct.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1885 on: March 19, 2023, 05:56:35 PM »

II stamp on top.

Their "blue eagle" 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb has been getting smaller, now barely 8.3 in width so I wonder if that one is also somehow reshaped down, the opposite when compared to some of the other 8.38 boards that are closer to 8.5 which I ride.

Sucks if you can see and feel the board is so small.

You said "decks" so did you get more than one?

scissorhands

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1886 on: March 19, 2023, 06:42:57 PM »
Heck.....
My new Manderson shape (eyeball pit) has a 14" wheelbase and measures 31.7 long (sticker said 14" wheelbase too) the width was right as claimed at 8.38.
Are some of the Manderson decks from this drop 14.25 ? Are there two different ones ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 07:24:37 PM by scissorhands »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1887 on: March 19, 2023, 09:23:05 PM »
thanks mbrimson!

found two decks online.
Krooked Manderson dimensions:

8.38"
31.875"
14.25"

Krooked Cromer dimensions:

8.25"
lengte: 31.875"
14.38"

Might try the Manderson shape, since it has the exact same dimensions like the Baker, while being a little bit wider.
Think the length of the cromer might be 32" instead of 31.875 though. But not that it matters much.
Just need to get away from the small 14" WB.

Ideally, I should just buy both of them.

The Manderson is the opposite of a Baker- huge squares kicks and often very steep.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1888 on: March 19, 2023, 10:04:15 PM »
Heck.....
My new Manderson shape (eyeball pit) has a 14" wheelbase and measures 31.7 long (sticker said 14" wheelbase too) the width was right as claimed at 8.38.
Are some of the Manderson decks from this drop 14.25 ? Are there two different ones ?

This from the last page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3962711#msg3962711

It seems like all the new Manderson decks are that Tru Fit size, not the old Manderson shape like they used to be.

Is yours a more regular shape, or is it really squared off and full looking?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #1889 on: March 20, 2023, 05:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote

II stamp on top.
[close]

Their "blue eagle" 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb has been getting smaller, now barely 8.3 in width so I wonder if that one is also somehow reshaped down, the opposite when compared to some of the other 8.38 boards that are closer to 8.5 which I ride.

Sucks if you can see and feel the board is so small.

You said "decks" so did you get more than one?

My mistake. Just the one.