Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1219854 times)

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10260 on: June 23, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Does Ace bushings work well in indys?

I feel like my current Indy bushings doesnt have much rebound.
[close]

They can work, depending on how tight you have your trucks as they are a touch taller, but they still go on ok.

Conversely, some left over stock Indy bushings work well in Ace trucks too - did that the other day and they performed very well.

You can always rotate the bushings and see if that changes things at all.  If they are not cracked or coming apart, that has worked well in the past for other people I know.  Just put a line or dot on them before you move them, so you know where they were sitting and rotate them a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.

First of all thanks to everyone for the solid info, stoked to see how I feel about these Indy's.

I happen to have some old Ace aftermarket bushings that I shaved down so I'll throw those in after I ride them stock and let everyone know how that felt, if I'm not feeling either of those I'll try some Indy aftermarkets.

Does anyone know if the bushings that come with some of the hollows are different duros or quality? Noticed that some of those pro model ones come with black stock bushings rather than the classic orange ones.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10261 on: June 23, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

They can work, depending on how tight you have your trucks as they are a touch taller, but they still go on ok.

Conversely, some left over stock Indy bushings work well in Ace trucks too - did that the other day and they performed very well.

You can always rotate the bushings and see if that changes things at all.  If they are not cracked or coming apart, that has worked well in the past for other people I know.  Just put a line or dot on them before you move them, so you know where they were sitting and rotate them a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.
[close]

First of all thanks to everyone for the solid info, stoked to see how I feel about these Indy's.

I happen to have some old Ace aftermarket bushings that I shaved down so I'll throw those in after I ride them stock and let everyone know how that felt, if I'm not feeling either of those I'll try some Indy aftermarkets.

Does anyone know if the bushings that come with some of the hollows are different duros or quality? Noticed that some of those pro model ones come with black stock bushings rather than the classic orange ones.

All stock Indy's are 90d regardless of colour, but there's definitely a material/manufacturing change once they moved operations overseas. Purely subjective, but I found the newer stock bushings in the two sets of forged hollows I've bought in the last two years to be pretty identical to the quality of aftermarkets. They feel the same (or maybe a smidge softer from jump) and have the same tooling marks the aftermarkets have.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 959
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10262 on: June 23, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

All stock Indy's are 90d regardless of colour, but there's definitely a material/manufacturing change once they moved operations overseas. Purely subjective, but I found the newer stock bushings in the two sets of forged hollows I've bought in the last two years to be pretty identical to the quality of aftermarkets. They feel the same (or maybe a smidge softer from jump) and have the same tooling marks the aftermarkets have.

Yes, agree.

Interesting and curious that things slightly changed in the look of the bushings (no mention officially anywhere about it though) but I think people / team riders were wanting the stock bushings to actually work and were sick of having to change them straight out, so they finally fixed up the stock bushing formula and now they are great.* 

* If you like 90 duro that is, which are the most common nowdays, where once the norm was more up around 92 to 94.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10263 on: June 23, 2021, 05:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, agree.

Interesting and curious that things slightly changed in the look of the bushings (no mention officially anywhere about it though) but I think people / team riders were wanting the stock bushings to actually work and were sick of having to change them straight out, so they finally fixed up the stock bushing formula and now they are great.* 

* If you like 90 duro that is, which are the most common nowdays, where once the norm was more up around 92 to 94.

100%. Before the change up I'd still run stocks as long as I could, because after the break-in they felt amazing, but they definitely had a shelf life - the flash marks from molding and the air bubbles definitely meant they were going to chunk out. But, the new ones haven't had the same degrading (for me), and they feel really damn good on day one.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10264 on: June 24, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The quality of the stock bushings is super good, they held up really well with just some bites from the washers after a year of use. Im 80 something kgs and Should have went with 92 or 96a instead maybe they would ve held Up better. But i really enjoyed the loose surfy turn!

For aftermarket bushings everyone seems to Love Bones as there is No break in time compared to indys witch takes a while to break in. Bones only do coned bushings tho so maybe go a duro higher than normal unless your a fan of super turny trucks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
« Reply #10265 on: June 24, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »
Indy aftermarket bushings are always a staple.
I had Doh-Dohs and they felt mushy.

I agree. I feel like five years ago, they were basically unskateable, but I've kept stock bushing in the last three pairs of Indy trucks I've owned and they've been great for the life of the truck. FWIW I'm 140 lbs, so I'm not really pushing these bushings to their limit. They had a bad run but are basically back on track as far as I am concerned.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #10266 on: June 24, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree. I feel like five years ago, they were basically unskateable, but I've kept stock bushing in the last three pairs of Indy trucks I've owned and they've been great for the life of the truck. FWIW I'm 140 lbs, so I'm not really pushing these bushings to their limit. They had a bad run but are basically back on track as far as I am concerned.
I’m mid-190s, I’ve been running trucks stock to break the bushings in. What usually happens is 3 months down the line, I just get used to them.

Except Ventures, those were rough
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10267 on: June 24, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’m mid-190s, I’ve been running trucks stock to break the bushings in. What usually happens is 3 months down the line, I just get used to them.

Except Ventures, those were rough

How were they?

I had a couple of sets of Ventures with bushings that seemed like complete opposites, one set were super squishy soft and the other set were so hard even cutting the top down still just didn't want to give enough for how I like them.  Both sets of bushings went to others who were stoked on them, so not a worry there, but I put spare stock Indy bushings in both sets of Ventures I kept and they felt very comfortable and normal then.

Other Ventures, as well as most Thunder bushings have been perfect, but some also been at almost opposite ends of the scale, on boards I have helped people with, but as I usually have a whole lot of spare stock bushings from almost all the major brands, I can usually work something out for them in a swap and trade type deal so they are happy and I have spare bushings for someone else if they need them.

The hardest thing for some people is just not knowing which bushings to go with if they do need to get others, especially if they can only go off what others say and not try them to know what works.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10268 on: July 02, 2021, 03:01:02 PM »
I'm wishing that I still had my beloved pair of Independent Grosso trucks. The black anodized hangers on the polished silver baseplates was just beautiful. I was thinking of painting some of my current Indy hangers black. Any of you Slappers have any experience with DIY painting your trucks?

Eric Dressen has a similar looking set on his board:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGpspETBow

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10269 on: July 02, 2021, 04:03:22 PM »
I'm wishing that I still had my beloved pair of Independent Grosso trucks. The black anodized hangers on the polished silver baseplates was just beautiful. I was thinking of painting some of my current Indy hangers black. Any of you Slappers have any experience with DIY painting your trucks?

A guy I know skated the Indy "Thrasher oath" white hanger, black baseplate forged hollows for a minute before changing to other trucks, but as the colour was a bit too bright for me, I used plain black spray to fix them, so did both hangers and they turned out really well, plain black all round.  I meant to take pics, but passed them on to someone else faster than I thought too.

Just make sure you only spray the hanger, not the axles, as per one guy I saw on a youtube video.  I just wrap a bit of newspaper or other spare paper round the axle and apply some tape where the axles meet the hanger and you should be fine.

You could easily do other colours, or just the hanger as well, like a few trucks I have seen that have silver baseplate / black hanger.

https://www.kickpush.com.au/assets/full/174519.jpg

Or this guy from ebay:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mRsAAOSwFAdgmP7K/s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Independent-Trucks-159-039-s-Custom-Painted-/313557227231

EDIT:  The new Mason Silva truck is that colourway, the matt black looks pretty good - third and fourth pics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQwHAkXjzQL/

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:15:29 PM by Mbrimson88 »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1136
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10270 on: July 02, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A guy I know skated the Indy "Thrasher oath" white hanger, black baseplate forged hollows for a minute before changing to other trucks, but as the colour was a bit too bright for me, I used plain black spray to fix them, so did both hangers and they turned out really well, plain black all round.  I meant to take pics, but passed them on to someone else faster than I thought too.

Just make sure you only spray the hanger, not the axles, as per one guy I saw on a youtube video.  I just wrap a bit of newspaper or other spare paper round the axle and apply some tape where the axles meet the hanger and you should be fine.

You could easily do other colours, or just the hanger as well, like a few trucks I have seen that have silver baseplate / black hanger.

https://www.kickpush.com.au/assets/full/174519.jpg

Or this guy from ebay:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mRsAAOSwFAdgmP7K/s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Independent-Trucks-159-039-s-Custom-Painted-/313557227231

EDIT:  The new Mason Silva truck is that colourway, the matt black looks pretty good - third and fourth pics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQwHAkXjzQL/

@Mbrimson88 those DIY one's look so fresh.
 I'll post before and after pics of my trucks.

*edit* there's some really angry comments on the Indy Instagram about the cross being gone. Yikes
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:34:16 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10271 on: July 02, 2021, 10:09:09 PM »

There's some really angry comments on the Indy Instagram about the cross being gone. Yikes

Yes, ever since the logo thing (and even on here) there have been those for and those against.

I have lots of older ones from USA and newer ones from China, most with the cross, some new ones without, and they all skate the same, no worries at all, so it really is the absolute least of a concern for me.

Crazy to think people are going to spite themselves and change just because of a logo, when that is what they have been riding (and I find the best truck for the turn, grind and overall performance) but whatever hey, they can do whatever they like, but as you said, they sure do like to whine, complain and harass each other on the Indy instagram.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
« Reply #10272 on: July 03, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
I’m glad Indy got rid of the cross but it would be pretty funny if Ace decided to adopt it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10273 on: July 03, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
@Mbrimson88 you've mentioned it elsewhere, but can you go into more detail on your process for shortening kingpins and top bushings?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10274 on: July 03, 2021, 04:58:19 PM »
@Mbrimson88 you've mentioned it elsewhere, but can you go into more detail on your process for shortening kingpins and top bushings?

Looks sick! Do you cut down kingpin and bushing by exactly the same amount?

The funny thing is it just kind of happened to come together like that.

The baseplates / kingpins were from someone who had issues with them, so I used an angle grinder and rounded / cut the tops off as he was always getting caught on things.

The bushings from another time I cut them down for someone else and then they didn't want them as they thought they wouldn't work - clearly they work just fine in this board I set up and I can skate it perfectly well with cut down bushings.

Everything just worked out and I could have had the kingpin nut done up tighter, but it actually works fairly well being as loose as it is.

The Instagram posts for Bushings, Kingpins, and the like below, pretty much all the text in the posts explains how, but I can always send anyone all the plain text too, if needed - just thought it is a bit much to post it all here, but I think it has been a while and the other times I posted these are lost in the old pages - now at 344 pages long in truck setups.

EDIT:  I do use an angle grinder a whole lot more than I should for lots of things, but I find it works best to round off the tops, rather than specifically cut down kingpins, even though I have cut straight through other brand kingpins that have been sitting up way too high.  Also easiest to do it all when the complete is set up, bushings in place too, so you know how far down you want to go - a kingpin that is too short is no fun at all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpGf4tGlRyf/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMGt_osFWe0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO9wTNRFWIU/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQpPFyflbl-/

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 05:07:32 PM by Mbrimson88 »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10275 on: July 03, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »
Thanks!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #10276 on: July 05, 2021, 03:57:50 AM »
@Mbrimson88, thanks for the link from the big boards thread, good info! Always looking to get the most out of a set of trucks—it takes a while to get a nice groove and new bushings are daring. Definitely going to dabble with cutting Indy bushings since I have some of those lying around.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #10277 on: July 05, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
Set up some of the new Geometry Tensors.
They’re light but because of the nubs kinda weird to apply.
Magnesium skates so much smoother than USA made Indys, I skated the same curb with my trunk and new set up. The Tensors were like butter.

I like riding stock until things break in and won’t make changes unless necessary. This may be the first truck I tighten early. They feel super loose and turny. I’m really surprised.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10278 on: July 06, 2021, 04:34:59 AM »

I remembered this from a guy I skate with, giving it a different take on the usual paint your trucks routine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0GEhvdHqZQ/

He also made risers from an old board too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuD63xJF042/

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #10279 on: July 06, 2021, 10:41:21 AM »

Somewhere along my way I had the revelation that white hanger and silver baseplate is the best combo. So I ended up spray painting/lacquering half a dozen sets of hangers or so. Pretty easy:

First clean the hanger and sand it a bit using sand paper. 

Next, mask the axles using masking tape like in the video above with the black Aces. No need to take the axle nuts of(f).

To get the primer and lacquer applied evenly on the hanger from all sides, I tie some fishing line or a shoe lace around the axle/axle nut after masking them and hang the hanger inside of a cardboard box so that it can spin freely, after turning it a bunch hanging from the fishing line/shoe lace. Do that and start spray painting only after the hanger started to to spin. Apply the primer/ground coating first. Once that has dried up (might take some hours or a day, just leave the hanger hanging inside of the box), apply the final coat of lacquer/spray paint. The trick is really to get it spinning on the rope. Just don't spray so much coat or paint at once that it starts running downwards.   

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10280 on: July 06, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »
Set up some of the new Geometry Tensors.
They’re light but because of the nubs kinda weird to apply.
Magnesium skates so much smoother than USA made Indys, I skated the same curb with my trunk and new set up. The Tensors were like butter.

I like riding stock until things break in and won’t make changes unless necessary. This may be the first truck I tighten early. They feel super loose and turny. I’m really surprised.

Never had an issue with the nubs as I tend to install my trucks with the board vertical <nose or tail on the ground> so that the trucks (any truck) is sitting flush against the bottom bolts and tighten as usual: one bottom a few turns, then the diagonal top a few turns, other bottom, other top, etc. then crank them all down).

Stock, too tight for me but I ride very loose. I had to loosen the stocks so much it wasn't safe. I use bones soft bottoms/tops most of the time.

Grinds for days tho, but I do wish they were lower than 55mm, I feel more at home on forged Indy or Thunders.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10281 on: July 07, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
Anyone has experiences with 139s on a 8.25 deck?
I can fit 3 washers on the inside and maybe that is very similar to running 144 trucks?
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10282 on: July 07, 2021, 12:53:50 PM »
Works fine, but I feel somehow that 144/149 turn better/looser. A washer is 1mm so you're talking 6mm in total, which is .23in total. It's fairly close and the Indy hanger is pretty flat so you should have bout the same grinding area. With that said I recently tried it and the trucks always felt tighter and I just didn't like it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:08:51 PM by LebowskisRug »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10283 on: July 07, 2021, 01:04:13 PM »
I can fit 3 washers on the inside and maybe that is very similar to running 144 trucks?

The Boss runs that combo.  Prior to 144s, people skated 8.25" with either 139s or 149s depending on their preference, and without issue. If the 139s are nice and broken in (and you're used to them), there is going to be a lot less of an adjustment.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #10284 on: July 07, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im a fan of this setup.
Quicker turning with the narrower truck, but I mainly do it for familiarity and better flip.
The Boss runs that combo.  Prior to 144s, people skated 8.25" with either 139s or 149s depending on their preference, and without issue. If the 139s are nice and broken in (and you're used to them), there is going to be a lot less of an adjustment.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #10285 on: July 08, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »
Anyone ever try an Ace hanger on an Indy Stage 11 baseplate? I'm curious if it'll work with those new IKP baseplates. Shalom

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #10286 on: July 08, 2021, 10:58:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Boss also made the switch to 144s though.
But it's true he used to run that combo, and before that 8.00" with 129 I believe.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10287 on: July 09, 2021, 05:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Boss also made the switch to 144s though.
But it's true he used to run that combo, and before that 8.00" with 129 I believe.

As recently as his stop and chat he is on 139s. Don't have Insta anymore but when I did he was posting them there as well.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #10288 on: July 09, 2021, 06:06:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reynolds skates 8.5 on 139 don't he? Tbh first who cares and second is impossible to keep track of that since he changes setups like I change my socks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10289 on: July 09, 2021, 04:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Reynolds skates 8.5 on 139 don't he? Tbh first who cares and second is impossible to keep track of that since he changes setups like I change my socks.

Age has caught up with him and he isn't hucking much anymore; dude is riding an 8.125" - he replied to my/a question on insta a while back....but the dude has the madness so who knows what he's riding these days, no doubt he's got a quiver.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:19:18 PM by Xen »